G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

1 Members & 32 Non Members

Kalgoorlie has them now

West Australian Racing
therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
edited September 2014 West Australian Racing
For fans of The Hangover franchise, they might be familiar with the line from the 2nd instalment, "Bangkok has him now". I think a similar line can be used for Kalgoorlie, with horses sucked into the vortex and seemingly lost to the vagaries of the sport. Unable to even break their maiden status. What is it about the place, the famed dog-legged turns that the Damien 'The Great' Lane couldn't even master, @thefalcon? Are the running rails haunted by thoroughbreds past? Does the place need some horse whisperer/exorcist?

I nominate Valfreyja(18:0:0:4), Regal Weapon(11:0:3:2) as recent prominent 'victims' although I am sure there are others. In fact in Regal Weapon's race yesterday the following horses had still not broken their maiden status despite numerous chances: Hell Of A Fella(28:0:4:6), Black Heart(20:0:0:3).

Also racing yesterday in race 3, Street Bandit(24:0:9:4) sure picked the wrong place to attempt to break though after many teasing runs in town, alas it rolled snake eyes and found one better, in the form of former eastern states galloper, Hockney.
+1 -1

thefalcon likes this post.

Comments

• Thoroly_BreadThoroly_Bread    2,311 posts
    hahahaha love it.
  • darkshinesdarkshines    2,837 posts

What about old mate Golden Monarch - took till start 35 to break his maiden, and ended up winning 6 . . .

http://www.rwwa.com.au/cris/horse.aspx?horse=43430&max=250

• runyonrunyon    569 posts
    They've got a long way to go to catch my favourite maiden Jordi 70:0-3-1
  • RodentRodent    7,025 posts
    I strapped a horse that was a 35 start maiden. It changed stables at its 36th start and won a maiden in Victoria. It went on to win 3 other races including a Group 3 race. It was a full brother to a Caulfield Cup winner.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    rodent what the name of that mare in Sydney..late 70's I think.
    contested a lot of good races as a maiden...name started with "O" I think....took ages to break the maiden...or did she not break it?
  • Piston_BrokePiston_Broke    2,047 posts
    Ourrone something similar
  • JordanJordan    1,827 posts
    edited September 2014
    King Kool Kat everyone's favourite took till his 25th start to break his maiden ended up winning 6 in a row and almost $700k in prize money

SHOVHOG, justrandom likes this post.

• oldhendooldhendo    763 posts
    Yes Ouroene, 127 starts 0 wins 2 seconds 7 thirds. Total prizemoney $14,605.
  • The_BullThe_Bull    918 posts
    Ruby Queen had a cult following in SE Queensland in the late 80's / early 90's. She had 59 starts, no wins, no placings and not a cent in prize money.
    thanks guys....I was living in Sydney at the time and she always had a write up.
    trained by a greek fellow, I think.
    that 127 start maiden must be a record.
  • oldhendooldhendo    763 posts
    Yes George Chiotis, owner and trainer.

TheFunkster dislikes this post.

spot on!! =D>
    you guys are a wealth of knowledge......thanks....now the rider..... ;)
    thanks guys....I was living in Sydney at the time and she always had a write up.
    trained by a greek fellow, I think.
    that 127 start maiden must be a record.
    It was a record but not any more.
    thankyou, rodent... @};-
  • magoo83magoo83    969 posts

What about old mate Golden Monarch - took till start 35 to break his maiden, and ended up winning 6 . . .

http://www.rwwa.com.au/cris/horse.aspx?horse=43430&max=250

Won 2 in a row on the same day carried the grandstand too

• Raff_2000Raff_2000    802 posts
    Not really in the same ballpark (or even close) but i'll still put it out there. Ethiopia has only won 1 race in over 20 starts to date, but he certainly choose a good race to win.

RIO likes this post.

The other horse I was thinking of is Profound Effect. The horse has so far won just 1 race from 32 starts, but it was infact a Saturday race for good prize money as a 3 year old.

The horse may well end up with over $100,000 in the kitty by the time he retires and that's a lot better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick (or any stick for that matter) ;)

RIO likes this post.

• loose_gooseloose_goose    2,069 posts
    Whenever longtime many starts to be a Maiden winner discussions are about, Reckless always springs to mine for me
    edited September 2014

Whenever longtime many starts to be a Maiden winner discussions are about, Reckless always springs to mine for me

Apparently was a 33 start maiden before going on to capture the Sydney Cup, Adelaide Cup and Brisbane Cup en route to a 2nd in the Melbourne Cup all at 3200m in 1977. He ran 3rd in the Perth Cup of 1978 and 4th in the Melbourne Cup of 1976. He could certainly stay!
     Reckless also went to stud (imagine a 2 mile handicapper that took 34 starts to win a race going to stud these days). He had around 176 named foals. He had 3 stakeswinners which all won feature staying races in Victoria.

AceV likes this post.

Rodent said:

Apparently was a 33 start maiden before going on to capture the Sydney Cup, Adelaide Cup and Brisbane Cup en route to a 2nd in the Melbourne Cup all at 3200m in 1977. He ran 3rd in the Perth Cup of 1978 and 4th in the Melbourne Cup of 1976. He could certainly stay!
     Reckless also went to stud (imagine a 2 mile handicapper that took 34 starts to win a race going to stud these days). He had around 176 named foals. He had 3 stakeswinners which all won feature staying races in Victoria.
    Not exactly an 'Aussie Crawler' was he (tongue in cheek of course.) I just couldn't resist with a name like that ;)
    its a wonder he did not change hands a few times in that 33
    ..oops..start drought.
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,743 posts
    I wish I could remember it's name but was a 100 start maiden then flashed down the outside to win at Albany in the 80s. I do know the jockey was confident that day it would win. I'll have what it had that day.
  • loose_gooseloose_goose    2,069 posts
    Reminded me of this joke slip

A trainer was instructing his jockey on how to run the 2.30 when a gent in a top hat came up. 
    “Good afternoon, I'm the Duke of Norfolk and chairman of the Horse Racing Authority and I'm doing a spot-check to ensure no funny business is going on at these races. I saw you administer something to your mount a minute ago and I'd like an explanation.” 
    The trainer dragged out a couple of sugar lumps from his pocket “Do you mean these, your Grace? These are sugar lumps so they are. The horse has a sweet tooth and it calms his nerves. Look, you are welcome to try one and sure and I'll have the other one. There you go.” 
    Both men chewed for a minute on the sugar lumps. 
    The Duke was finally happy to announce “Mmn- Well, that seems perfectly in order. You do understand that I have to check these things?” 
    The trainer replied “To be sure and we welcome it your Grace, what with the cricket and all.” 
    The Duke nodded and said “Quite. Well I bid you good day.” and off he went. 
    The trainer turned back to the jockey and said “Now where were we? Ah yes, just hold him back until you get to the final furlong, have you got that? At the final furlong give the horse his head. Let him GO! No-one is going to pass you, unless it's me or the Duke of Norfolk.