G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

1 Members & 35 Non Members

R.I.P Intergaze

East Coast Racing
PCPC    2,190 posts
Saw this on facebook this morning on the Pepper Tree Farm Equine Clinic facebook page:

INTERGAZE PASSES AT 22 YEARS OLD
It is with a deep sadness we write this tribute to say goodbye to the champion stallion Intergaze. The horse was humanely euthanaised following complications associated with congestive heart failure. Intergaze will find his final resting place at his home, Norman Park Stud in Cowra.

Intergaze, a multiple Group one, was referred to as the “Giant Killer” when at onl
...y 3 years old he upset the apple cart in Octagonal’s farewell race, defeating the champion in the 1997 Queen Elizabeth Stakes.

In his career Intergaze amassed an amazing eight Group one wins and $3.7M in prize money. Picking up his first Group one as a 3yo in the 1996 Champagne stakes, he gave the racing community a taste of what was to come in his career. Intergaze went on to dominate this performance in the autumn of 1997, with a runaway victory in the Canterbury Guineas. He rounded out his 3yo year in style with a third Group one win with his defeat of Octagonal in the 1997 Queen Elizabeth Stakes.

His 4yo season looked dubious when it was interrupted by injury and there was talk of retiring the stallion to stud but the champion showed he still wanted to run when he returned to the track and ran down Might And Power within a length and a half in the 1998 Group 1 Doomben Cup.

When he reappeared as a 5yo in the autumn of 1999 and showed his potential with three frustratingly close seconds in the St George Stakes (winner Istidaad), the Group 1 Australian Cup (w.Istidaad) and the Group 1 Mercedes-Classic (w.Tie The Knot). He broke his bridesmaid run in a gutsy effort taking out his fourth Group one in the 1999 AJC All Age Stakes. In this season he took out his second Queen Elizabeth Stakes and secured his fifth Group 1 victory. When he journeyed to Brisbane; he reminded the public why he was nicknamed the “Giant Killer”. In a repeat match up of the previous year’s Group 1 Doomben Cup; this time he went on to defeat Might And Power to take out his sixth Group one win.

His final season was remarkable, proving why Intergaze himself was one of the best weight for age horses of the 1990’s. He defeated Tie The Knot in the Group 2 Chelmsford Stakes before running away to his seventh Group one win in the 1999 VATC Underwood Stakes. Returning in the autumn of 2000, his final career Group one win was a steam-roll victory in the VRC Australian Cup. His retirement to the Widden Stallion Barn was announced by his connections in May 2000, soon after his final Group one victory.

Intergaze’s career was followed and loved by the racing fraternity as few horses of this calibre grace the race track. He joins the ranks of horses like Octagonal, Saintly, Might And Power and Tie The Knot. Intergaze 15 years on from leaving the race track still holds the records for the Queen Elizabeth Stakes and the 1800m record at Rosehill. .

As a veterinarian I feel very blessed to have had the honour of being involved with such a champion as Intergaze. The horse was a true gentleman and a pleasure to deal with every time I visited Norman Park Stud. He has left his mark in the foals he produced this season and we look forward to the delivery of his final crop next season. Intergaze will be sadly missed and Norman Park will not feel the same without him. However the chestnut gentlemen will continue to watch over the breeding barn as always from his final resting place; whispering his greatness upon the next generation of racehorses
+1 -1

Darrbs, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

Comments

• ColourfulRDColourfulRD    480 posts
    What a great tough horse he was

thefalcon, therealkramer likes this post.

• DarrbsDarrbs    410 posts
    Nicely done as alway PC. RIP big fella.

thefalcon, PC likes this post.

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    The first time I went to the races was when he won the Queen Elizabeth Stakes at Randwick in 1999, beating odds on fav Sunline and Derby winner Sky Heights in the process. It was the beginning of my long standing hatred for the mare. >:P
  • The_BullThe_Bull    918 posts
    What a great horse he was. I can't think of another horse that came back from tendon issues to achieve what he did.
  • ColdyColdy    1,720 posts
    By far and away my favorite horse ever . Very sad to here he is gone.  He was and is a Legend of Australian Racing , good by my friend.