G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

1 Members & 37 Non Members

Belmont Preview, 29th Apr 2016

West Australian Racing
PerthTurfTalkPerthTurfTalk    3,054 posts
R1. Perth Racing Twitter Plate - Scott Embry

Glad to be back at Belmont Park, a beautiful track and a woeful facility. Absolute luxury at Belmont Park from the dripping roof to the concrete graveyard vibe on offer. Atleast when I go to the members I get some fitness work going up and down fifty sets of escalators to get to the bookies ring to have a bet. The 2 year olds kick us off and Im going with the maiden filly Stored Energy. Her runs to date have been excellent and with the long home straight at Belmont Park she should get her chance to run them down. Diraja Jewel got her chance on debut when she controlled and couldn't hold off Leitfaden over 1100m after getting all the favours in running so I can't see her turning the tables over 1300m. Even though Diraja Jewel will lead and control I'm happy to label her as a lay. Quilista ran a fast finishing 600m behind Dainty Tess, a strong form reference for a race of this quality. She should appreciate the extra distance. Leitfaden was 31s into 6s on debut before fading from the front and then got the chocolates second-up, can go on with it.

6. STORED ENERGY - 7. QUILISTA - 5. LEITFADEN
+1 -1

jum likes this post.

Comments

• PerthTurfTalkPerthTurfTalk    3,054 posts
    edited April 2016
    R2. Sponsor A Race Handicap - Scott Embry

Over the next 2 races we get to see 3 of the most impressive 3 year old sprinters WA has to offer: Vega Magic, River Dance and Military Reign. Since the 9th of November Vega Magic hasn't seen a set of rival heels winning 2 trials and 3 races in that period by a combined distance of over 17 lengths. His most impressive victory came on Perth Cup day when Rhi's Rocket really put it to him over the first 600m and left him paddling late but he dug deep and held off talented filly Scales of Justice. Trialled in exceptional order for his return to racing clocking a 58.01 1000m at Belmont Park. He should find the lead from barrier 3 and win. River Dance is a Snitzel gelding I have a lot of time for but he will have to be very good to sit outside Vega Magic and win. Those two should quinella the race a few lengths clear of the rest unless they cut at each other out in front. Hopefully we get a galloping exhibition from these two rising stars of WA racing. Shady Gray conceeds Harrison pair Brisanto and Mystic Maid 2kg from their last start encounter but safely accounted for them and should go again here from a soft draw.

1. VEGA MAGIC - 6. RIVER DANCE - 4. SHADY GRAY
    edited April 2016
    R3. Belmont Bonanza - $20 Offer Handicap - Scott Embry

Labelling Military Reign as the first "special" of the Belmont Park season. The preview is written late at night on a Wednesday usually well before fixed odds prices are available but in my market I have her rated at $1.80 so hopefully we can get closer to $2.50 and I'll be jumping into that with open arms. Gets a 1.5kg weight swing on Bourne Supremacy and in a small field Pike should be able to find the fence and control the race. Military Reign is undefeated at Belmont Park and DMac has clearly elected to go with this option over the Northam Stakes on Sunday in a decision I expect to pay dividends to the tune of $38 400, a winners cheque. Bourne Supremacy should get a cosy run behind her and be the testing material. Express Dancer gets in with only 52kg and should be reeling off electric sectionals late in the race. The fact Pike has jumped ship from the Cerise and White juggernaut evidences the opinion he has of Military Reign. Best Bet.

2. MILITARY REIGN - 3. BOURNE SUPREMACY - 6. EXPRESS DANCER

SUGGESTED BET - 2. MILITARY REIGN $100
    edited April 2016
    R4. Amelia Park Handicap - Scott Embry

There are three trainer-jockey combinations which have been on fire in recent times, Brett Pope-Lucy Warwick, Brian Kersley-Brad Parnham and Fred Kersely-Randy Tan. We get to see two of those inform combinations go head to head here and they repesent my top 2 selections. This is a very evenly graded affair with a number of alternate form-lines clashing but eventually I settled on Tarquinn Shadow who I think should get a cosy run up on speed. The Pope-Warwick partnership is incredibly hot...not you Brett...and Tarquinn Shadow comes from a stronger form reference in my opinion. First-up over 1400m into open Mares company I thought Tarquinn Shadow competed well finishing alongside Wink and a Nod less than 2 lengths behind Magnifisio. Dropping down to 54.5kg here I think she is the play if you must have one. North Ridge is in good form and is yet to finish outside the top 3 at Belmont Park after 5 outings. Randy Randy should have him parked just behind the speed and burst through gaps late in the piece. Luckless last weekend, forgive and forget that run. Ocean Cracker is a marvel, still attacking the line at 9 years old. He can place.

5. TARQUINN SHADOW - 2. NORTH RIDGE - 7. OCEAN CRACKER
    edited April 2016
    R5. Perth Racing Membership Pro-rata Rate Handicap - Scott Embry

I'm making my other Best Bet on the card another W.Pike special. If you're going to invest with confidence at the opening Belmont Park meeting of the season with a number of unknowns then it may as well be on the States premier hoop. Rarely does a Saturday meet go round without Pikey jagging atleast a double and I think that Celebrity Dream, alongside Military Reign, is one of his better rides. Chased hard behind highly talented sprinter Cool Passion and ran straight past Key to Fame who she meets on equal weight terms. Drawn beautifully in barrier 3 I think Pike can pull her into open space at the top of the home straight and run over the top of them. She's my second best bet of the day and I'll be doubling her with Military Reign as my play of the day. The only danger I see is Key to Fame who is undefeated at Belmont Park and from barrier 1 should lead and control the race. Knuckey loves to lead on Miller gallopers and can perform the patented WA Rack & Stack where he throws the anchor out at the 800 and then catches them flat footed at the 600. If he steals a few cheap sectionals he'll be hard to roll. Airlie Sun is in career best and winning form

4. CELEBRITY DREAM (NZ) - 3. KEY TO FAME - 2. AIRLIE SUN

SUGGESTED BET - 4. CELEBRITY DREAM (NZ) $100
    edited April 2016
    R6. James Boag\'s Premium Handicap - Scott Embry

There should be a very genuine tempo with both Spiritual Eyes and Raczynski capable of running genuine sectionals throughout and both drawn to do so. This is a very ugly race from a form perspective and if I was to play the race at all it would be to lay Roger the Roman. At his first Belmont Park outing from barrier 11 and conceeding considerable weight to Fire Born, Travellin' and Unperturbed I think he is probably one who will struggle to win. Settled on the Taylor trained pair in Travellin' and Rule to Wyn just ahead of Spiritual Eyes and Raczynski. Travellin' has been running in stronger company than this and form around King of the Palace and Conjob should be superior to the provincial form that many others bring. From the gun drawn with in-form apprentice CJP in the saddle I think Travellin' is the safe way to go. Presentatie is a major unknown at her WA debut after two impressive NZ wins. Her latest trial was only fair, pushed along from the 600 and in my speed map she ends up three deep throughout but I'm sure W.Pike will slot in and make me look silly. I couldn't back her and where she fits in the opening markets will be intriguing.

1. TRAVELLIN' - 3. RULE TO WYN - 6. SPIRITUAL EYES
    edited April 2016
    R7. Multicultural Raceday - May 14 Handicap - Scott Embry

Thinking that back to Belmont Park will be a major plus for luckless Beneteau gelding Universal Law. Missed the kick and tailed off behind Brisanto first-up before savaging the line and then found city bound peak hour traffic at his second start this preparation when given no hope behind North Ridge. This race does look a fair bit easier than what he contested last start and given the fact he is undefeated at Belmont Park and W.Pike has hopefully already ridden a few to victory by race 7 I'm willing to forgive and forget the runs of Universal Law and make him my third and final play for the day. Just think his turn of foot will be a couple of lengths sharper than most of these and he can get the job done. Tanjier is an interesting son of Lonhro who I think at 5 years old still has Ross Price a bit confused. Is he a sprinter? Is he is stayer? Effectively led all the way over 1200m at Bunbury before settling last behind Cool Passion at Ascot and hitting the line hard. Steps up to 1600m which I think will please most punters. The Flirt is another get back type who should thrive on the expanses of Belmont Park this season.

3. UNIVERSAL LAW - 6. TANJIER - 9. THE FLIRT

SUGGESTED BET - 3. UNIVERSAL LAW $50
    edited April 2016
    R8. Terrace Restaurant - Book Now Handicap - Scott Embry

I dearly hope that nobody is in desparate need to get out in the last because they may have to look to the Dapto Dogs for help because the final race at Belmont is a punters nightmare. There are a lot of legitimate winnings chances from the top of the page in New Time right to the bottom where I've settled on Top Show. I think Top Show will be well into double figure odds and one who gets in under the radar. Her run behind Magnifisio and Wink and a Nod was good, without being great, but the fact we return to Belmont Park is right up her alley. I think off the back of a soft run she can surprise a few. Military Ruler is another hot commodity for William Pike who could be staring down the barrel at a fourth or fifth winner. Should sit up on the speed camped right behind So Who's Harry who will be looking to lead from start to finish. For third it's hard to ignore the victorious effort of Run Liam Run in the Fitzpatrick Plate, held up until the 100m he unleashed an incredible burst of speed to win. Can definitely measure up here. PTT Quaddie Investment: 3,4 / 1,3,5,6,10,11 / 1,2,3,4,6,9,11 / 1,2,4,6,7,8,9,13,14 - $100 = 13%

14. TOP SHOW - 8. MILITARY RULER - 6. RUN LIAM RUN
  • jumjum    3,512 posts

R2. Sponsor A Race Handicap - Scott Embry

Over the next 2 races we get to see 3 of the most impressive 3 year old sprinters WA has to offer: Vega Magic, River Dance and Military Reign. Since the 9th of November Vega Magic hasn't seen a set of rival heels winning 2 trials and 3 races in that period by a combined distance of over 17 lengths. His most impressive victory came on Perth Cup day when Rhi's Rocket really put it to him over the first 600m and left him paddling late but he dug deep and held off talented filly Scales of Justice. Trialled in exceptional order for his return to racing clocking a 58.01 1000m at Belmont Park. He should find the lead from barrier 3 and win. River Dance is a Snitzel gelding I have a lot of time for but he will have to be very good to sit outside Vega Magic and win. Those two should quinella the race a few lengths clear of the rest unless they cut at each other out in front. Hopefully we get a galloping exhibition from these two rising stars of WA racing. Shady Gray conceeds Harrison pair Brisanto and Mystic Maid 2kg from their last start encounter but safely accounted for them and should go again here from a soft draw.

1. VEGA MAGIC - 6. RIVER DANCE - 4. SHADY GRAY

Willie Pike off Shady Gray and onto Lord Conrad
    :-O

What's the go there, His ride got Shady Gray over the line last start.

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Best shorties a no brainer here

Vega Magic and Celebrity Dream

I honestly thought Tanjier would open double figures and was rady and waiting, only to find 4.80....still think it can win but will wait on the day

BEST of all in the last, Spin Da Wheels. Track and distance record excellent and gets major weight relief here. Hopefully gets midfield in running and goes bang at $9

Hero bet

Allup doubles/trebles/fours = 29 combinations

Vega Magic/River Dance Quinella
    Celebrity Dream WIN
    Tanjier EW
    Spin Da Wheels EW
  • GrayGray    4,090 posts
    edited April 2016
    Roughie of the day Bono Vox
    Redpondat, down in class, with a touch of weight relief
  • Perth_PreviewPerth_Preview    25 posts
    edited April 2016

Race 1             8 – 6 – 5 – 2                8
    Diraja Jewel - (WIN)
    Race 2             6 – 1 – 4 – 5                6 River Dance - (WIN)

Race 3            
    4 – 2 – 3 – 1                4 Gigante - (EACH-WAY)

Race 4            
    1 – 5 – 2 – 4                1 Respondent - (EACH-WAY)

Race 5            
    1 – 4 – 3 – 2                1 Senso - (EACH-WAY)

Race 6            
    6 – 1 – 10 – 5              6 Spiritual Eyes - (EACH-WAY)

Race 7            
    1 – 3 – 9 – 6                1 Zonte - (EACH-WAY)

Race 8            
    2 – 13 – 7 – 8              2 Zuccheros - (EACH-WAY)

Best bets:
    R4
    N1 Respondent (Each-way)
    R7 N1 Zonte (each-way)

psycho likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited April 2016
    Would at anytime in the history of going back to Belmont Park for its opening day have the first 4 races with 7 or less runners ? Can recall when going back to Belmont Park having continuous fields of 16. Commencing opening day with 4 consecutive races of no third dividend..is it any wonder nobody goes anymore. Surely it's free admission!

rooboy likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    @carey have you got any stats handy as to the record of Noske when riding Durrant trained horses, Wroughted in the last is an interesting bit of unknown (its won once and ran 2nd first up at 4 attempts)

notapunta likes this post.

• FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts

hash likes this post.

• notapuntanotapunta    938 posts
    Difficult to get excited for today but here goes
    R1 Sunset Pete
    R2 Brisanto
    R3 Express Dancer
    R4 Repondent
    R5 Airlie Sun
    R6 Raczynski
    R7 Flying Image
    R8 Wroughted
    Happy punting gang ! :D

hash likes this post.

• SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    R5 Senso, Back at Belmont is a huge positive. Unbeaten at the track.
    R6 Travellin'. A passport to victory 
    R7 The Flirt should turn heads today
    R8 Top Show. Excuses last couple of runs and all previous wins have been at Belmont.
  • ChelseaChelsea    1,369 posts
    The time set in the first race looks like a soft 5 track

Stored Energy fiiiiiiiiiiiinally wins a race

:-O
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Just wondering if anyone who bets with punta has received a first losing win bet bonus. I backed leitfaden for my free hit but haven't seen a free bet issued unfortunately.
    H-BOMBER said:

Just wondering if anyone who bets with punta has received a first losing win bet bonus. I backed leitfaden for my free hit but haven't seen a free bet issued unfortunately.

Same as me

The "first meeting back at Belmont" curse has begun and only two races into the card or did the kid ride it too cool and didn't realize he had anything behind him chasing.... should get 6 months for that weak effort

8-}

BobbyDavis likes this post.

Free bet now there Bomber

H-BOMBER likes this post.

hash said:

The "first meeting back at Belmont" curse has begun and only two races into the card or did the kid ride it too cool and didn't realize he had anything behind him chasing.... should get 6 months for that weak effort

8-}

I was on Brisanto :D

H-BOMBER, lame, hash, whereamigoingwrong, Jordan likes this post.

• frenc11frenc11    102 posts
    The flirt for me
  • BobbyDavisBobbyDavis    916 posts
    hash said:

8-}
    hash said:

8-}

Definitely agree mate. Rode far too cute. If his Daddy didn't train it he'd be sacked for life after that. Will be interesting to see if the stewards allow that to go through without penalty.
    notapunta said:

hash said:

8-}

I was on Brisanto :D

Don't be too impressed lads it was only 2x2 haha

15's into 7 if you don't mind slip  ^:)^ =D>

hope you got a bit of those double figures! best start for my quaddie with only 1,2 & 4

notapunta, SLIPPERGOLDEN likes this post.

Trying to get Raczynski for 10s, go to bet entry,
    Press enter, tab touch says prices changed to 6.50 and wouldn't let me enter bet as price had changed. Go back to market, now 9s, enter bet, says prices have changed to 6.50 again, that happened 3 more times through 8.50, 8s until the market page showed the 6.50.
    \|/ sit on these and rotate tabtouch

lame, jum, Gilgamesh likes this post.

ring and complain and get them to set it straight and give you an answer....?

seems very unprofessional to me and I'd be keen to hear there explanantion 

notapunta likes this post.

• SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    hash said:

15's into 7 if you don't mind slip  ^:)^ =D>

Got the $13. Very pleased with the result. Travellin just missed unfortunately.

Good luck with your Quaddie Hash. I'm still alive at the half way point.