G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

1 Members & 36 Non Members

Cancer Fundraiser - MACA Ride to Conquer Cancer 2016 for Mike Epis

West Australian Racing
Hi everyone

A few people have met me previously, and if you have been on this site for a while, you might know that I have participated in the Ride to Conquer Cancer previously, for my work place, The Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research. 
This year I am endeavoring to ride again the 200 km journey on the weekend of the 15-16th October to raise funds for Cancer research here at the Perkins Institute. A little bit of background, which can also be found at the fundraising page

I am a researcher at the Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research and have been in the lab of Professor Peter Leedman for nearly 15 years. I am participating for the 3rd time in this years ride to raise much needed funds for research into Cancer within the Institute. 

Our lab researches many cancers and my primary focus is in Prostate Cancer. The following is some background information on what we do.

Prostate cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer and is the second cause of cancer related death in men. The incidence of Prostate Cancer has increased over the last few years due to the advancements in early detection and characterization of prostate tumors. As a consequence of this early detection, the mortality rate has significantly decreased. Initially, prostate tumors express the androgen receptor and are dependent on androgens for their growth, however, the disease inevitably transforms into an castrate resistant state, whereby tumors are resistant to current treatments. While localised PCa can be treated and potentially cured if detected early, there are currently no effective therapies for later stage castrate resistant Prostate Cancer.

In the Leedman lab, we focus on treating these Prostate Cancers with a combination of existing therapies and microRNA treatment. We have found that adding specific microRNAs with existing therapies can increase the effectiveness of the current treatments available making them more potent at a lower concentration. MicroRNAs are able to target different genes that are responsible for cancer growth and metastasis and coupled with existing chemotherapy, make a very good model for treating castrate resistant prostate disease.

We have some exciting work being done at the moment with our microRNAs of interest along with other treatements which has been ongoing for the last 6 years. Without the support of funding such as this we would not be able to carry out such work and publish our finding in high impact, peer reviewed journals. We are hopeful this year of completing a large portion of this work and submitting a 5th peer reviewed publication which will lead to larger scale, more clinical based outcomes study.

My goal is to raise $2500 which will allow my to participate in this years ride. I am running a number of events such as a monthly Soup Kitchen at work and a Race Day at Belmont Park. If you would like to contribute to my fundraising efforts please click on the donate button on my personal page. Any amount is very much appreciated.

One of the fundraising events I am currently organising is a race day at Belmont Park on Saturday the 10th of September (Farnley Stakes Day), to raise awareness about and funds for The Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research and the cancer research I am currently undertaking. The day will be held in the private members area of the Sallinger Bar, and for $100, a day package consisting of entry, race book, private area and luncheon (food only). This $100 cost will cover the cost of the package. I am seeking expressions of interest from anyone who would like to join us on the day and be apart of this event. Throughout the day, we will be conducting a variety of fundraising raffles of prizes (I am currently trying to get Perth Racing to donate something as a major prize), along with a couple of brief speeches during the day about our Institute and research. Also, we will be running a Punters Club for $20 and have PTTs very own @OliversTwist involved in previewing the races and punting away to try and build the bank up where 50% of the final proceeds going towards our Research. Any donations you would like to contribute going forward or on the day can be made at the above fundraising page or in person, and all donations over $2 are tax deductible. 

If this all interests you and you would like to be a part of the day, please PM me on this site for further information, and also PM me if you have any questions or interest in the Cancer Research I am involved in here at the Perkins.

Cheers

Mike Epis 

@H-BOMBER

+1 -1

Squiddy, notapunta, hash, jum, JayJay, keymeup, Chelsea likes this post.

Comments

• hashhash    7,495 posts

I'm in Perth that weekend, I know its months away but I'd wouldn't mind attending...

I will also do my best to help sell a few tickets and bring a few people along

H-BOMBER, jum, thefalcon likes this post.

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Thanks for the support, there will be a portal to purchase tickets soon enough. 

The reason for the EOI is that minimum numbers are 40 and max are 70 in this area. I have to stump up the deposit which is non refundable, so Im taking a bit of a risk. I think we can get at least the 40, hopefully a few PTTers can get involved !

And I've already received one donation of $100 from the Geraldton Turf Club. Any amount is extremely appreciated!

Another $100 from a turf talker! 

Im still always surprised at how generous people are and it makes the work worth while and keeps us accountable, which is very important.

I will reiterate that anyone interested in finding out more about us and the research to PM me.

Thanks again!
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    I'll give away some free bets for your race day.

You know where to get me.

JayJay, H-BOMBER, Chelsea likes this post.

Thanks @The Diva, we'll probably put all our W/P bets through PUNTA as well

and another $100 donation overnight. 

There will be more details about the Race day coming soon and avenues in which to sign up and pay

Mike
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    this is very timely and pertinent for me at the moment as one of my fellow owners and friends, a lovely lady, has just been diagnosed with cervical cancer. Its a real kick in the teeth when it happens. Another school mate of mine also has just been through chemo and an operation for stomach cancer (last few months) and has at this stage conquered it. 
    Happy to help out in whatever way I can on the day. 

H-BOMBER, thefalcon, dungy, jum, cisco, oldhendo, hash, Chelsea likes this post.

Here is the link for the flyer for the race day. Please contact me with your interest

Cheers

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6on7mufxcycgl92/RTCC%20Race%20Day%202016%20Flyer.pdf?dl=0

hash, cisco likes this post.

The Diva said:

this is very timely and pertinent for me at the moment as one of my fellow owners and friends, a lovely lady, has just been diagnosed with cervical cancer. Its a real kick in the teeth when it happens. Another school mate of mine also has just been through chemo and an operation for stomach cancer (last few months) and has at this stage conquered it. 

Happy to help out in whatever way I can on the day. 

ditto

thoughts are with your friends battling it mate

TheDiva likes this post.

• keymeupkeymeup    185 posts
    Good on you @H-BOMBER 
    I personally have been in a battle with an aggressive tumour
    Diagnosed when i was 20
    Been through it all surgery,radiation and chemotherapy
    Its a very hard time for all involved
    Was given the all clear 13 years later and now the proud dad of a 3 week old baby boy

• notapuntanotapunta    938 posts
    keymeup said:

Good on you @H-BOMBER 

Diagnosed when i was 20
    Was given the all clear 13 years later and now the proud dad of a 3 week old baby boy

Good to hear you're on the mend @keymeup
    Touch wood I'll never have to go through that. Hope you're getting some sleep with the new bub, I have a 5 day old daughter so sleep is a luxury for some at the moment haha.

keymeup, H-BOMBER, jum, goose, dungy likes this post.

Thanks @notapunta 
    Congratulations on the birth of your daughter
    Sleep is definitely not something i'm getting a whole lot of lately

notapunta likes this post.

• ciscocisco    805 posts

You guys will certainly get a new respect for your Mum and Dads but believe me all the hard work is worth it!!!

keymeup, notapunta, H-BOMBER likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    great to hear keymeup....
    don't forget the louder she cries, the louder you snore.....
    ;)

keymeup, notapunta likes this post.

• ciscocisco    805 posts
    best of luck for the day H-BOMBER hope it is a success!!

Thanks @Cisco, and much appreciated for your donation to the cause!

keymeup said:

Good on you @H-BOMBER 

Diagnosed when i was 20

That is great to hear @keymeup, thanks for sharing your story on here. Stories like this motivate researchers to push and keep on the research, as most of the time its let downs and dead ends (research that is). Research, especially Cancer Research is a long road and can be perceived as a bottomless pit to some people, but I firmly believe that the work we are doing and the majority of the medical research done here in Perth and around the world is certainly worth while. 

cisco, keymeup likes this post.

Thanks for all your hard work @H-BOMBER its appreciated
    Keep it up

H-BOMBER, thefalcon, cisco likes this post.

• dungydungy    9,278 posts
    keymeup said:

Good on you @H-BOMBER 

Diagnosed when i was 20

Good on you mate great stuff

keymeup, cisco, thefalcon likes this post.

So.....

anyone brave enough to commit to coming to the race day, just flick me a PM or use the email or number on the flyer. Have about 10 "yes" at the moment and need 40-70 to make it a really big success.

and as a few people have done, if you cant make it or don't want to come, but still want to contribute, then I would say that if you have something to donate for the raffle on the day ie vouchers etc then that would also be very greatly appreciated. The bulk of the fundraising will be through a big raffle and some great donated prizes always helps!

Cheers

• notapuntanotapunta    938 posts
    H-BOMBER said:

So.....

anyone brave enough to commit to coming to the race day, just flick me a PM or use the email or number on the flyer. Have about 10 "yes" at the moment and need 40-70 to make it a really big success.

and as a few people have done, if you cant make it or don't want to come, but still want to contribute, then I would say that if you have something to donate for the raffle on the day ie vouchers etc then that would also be very greatly appreciated. The bulk of the fundraising will be through a big raffle and some great donated prizes always helps!

Cheers

@H-BOMBER sorry mate I won't be able to make it that day. Good on you for organising it but and hope it is a great success.

H-BOMBER likes this post.

count me in, mike.... :-h

i'll start saving the 100 bucks..... :-??

Haha please Falc =P~
    don't expect me to buy any raffle tickets..the 100 smackers will do me in.... [-(
    I'm grateful for the support falc, I will say that I am making only $10 profit on the tickets, hence the raffles and punters club during the day. Hopefully the ticket price isn't too much of a deterrent for everyone, but it is out of my hands.
    just jesting, mike.....i'll support it 100%...

you going to the "office" for the last 2 races? :!!
    Not today falc unfortunately parental duties day and night at the moment. Will have one eye on the nags though
    We have around 25 confirmed their interest for the race day at the moment. I would like at elast 40 but would love 70......Should be a great day out especially with @OliversTwist running the punters club (with a little help ;) ), guaranteed winners! Good raffle prizes aplenty, 3 course luncheon in the privacy of the Salinger Bar with our own bar and tote. Good value at $100 per head :)

PM, message or email me if keen.

Cheers

rustyh likes this post.

wold you mind forum members bringing other people along...

where is it going to be held, where at the course?