In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 25 Non Members
jpeg
jpeg
OLD BOOKS.jpeg

Comments

• spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    My mrs mum uncoverd these they go back a bit some of the names in them are WA racing history

Tucool, oldhendo, Gilgamesh, Piston_Broke likes this post.

• FatCatFatCat    16 posts
    Got any more like this spinking? I was just getting into racing not long after this, some of those old players were real characters.
    I will try and post the text out of the ones above Fatcat . There was a discussion , a few headings before lamenting the apparent lack of apprentices coming through the system at the moment. Look at some of the names on this apprentice list  inside the  front cover of one of the above books
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts

I had a shoe box full of racebooks from the mid 60's early 70's.

I was away, the old man got married again and she chucked them out....

jpeg
    jpeg
    old riders.jpeg

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

You know your looking at a old book when D.R.Miller is listed as a apprentice

Notapuntas, Gilgamesh likes this post.

jpeg
    jpeg
    old shoes.jpeg

Ridersonthestorm33, oldhendo, Rex likes this post.

not only did people buy there shoes from Boans in days gone bye

JayJay, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited November 2016
    Would like to see a racebook with the old 'Hunt Club handicap' race in it was always run at Belmont in winter as the first race of the day. Amateur jockeys minimum weight around 57 up to around 70kgs I think huge weights for those days. All the hoops with Mr. listed next to their names. Also any race books from Ascot in the Summer months featuring the Powder Puff Derbys...run exclusively for the lady jockeys. A race where Paula Wagg, Marilyn Fagan were quite dominant. Think their was a Mitchell too who was handy plus many more. Hunt Club handicap at Belmont possibly ended early 80s ? Powder Puff Derbys maybe the same time or a little earlier ? They were unique races...they were different.
    edited November 2016
    Just one or two owners in that racebook!! The days of many owners and syndications were still a while away. It was a time when you could afford a horse!
    edited December 2016
    Interesting names in the apprentices...G.N. Davies ( would that be the ant ? ) Liddelow and Nicol ring a bell...did they become trainers ? N.H Mifflin...related to Keith ? Sheehy , Taylor , Webster , McPherson, Mathews names well known today! Remember a Stephen Sheehy riding wonder if related ? Great reading Spinking.
    R.G Oliver..now that would be Ray ? Damien's late father. Back then just a young apprentice.
    I reckon your on the money there with the ant Riders .B.Liddelow became a trainer who had a pretty handy horse by memory cant think of its name  my old man will know,R.S.Taylor trained Barrosa boy sky filou etc. J.dickson  I think that's shorty dickison. A lot of those names are no longer with us . Riders I will try to dig up some of those books you are after , my old boy has heaps old books
    Wasn't very nice of her Falc. One of those books might have been what Riders was looking for
    Haha don't worry I threw out many myself...only kept some from a good winning day...there's very few!

spinking, RIO likes this post.

jpeg
    jpeg
    old railway.jpeg
    When there used to be a train station at Ascot

Gilgamesh likes this post.

• lamelame    1,757 posts
    Riders you've talked a bit about the hunt races at Belmont in your travels have you came across a rider by the last name ashfold ?
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    My uncle Lew McNair, John's Dad, rode in Hunt Club races....I think they were Bunny Hyde's horses he rode....Bunny was stabled 2 houses up from the McNairs abode in Orrong Road.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts

I remember the hunt races but ashfold does not ring a bell..

the hamptons, reikies etc

lame likes this post.

edited December 2016
    Such along time ago @Lame I've just forgotten all those names even the ones Falcon mentioned...just very vaguely..but Lew McNair yes that rings a bell...thought their might have been a David Dicks too ? All I remember was mostly always race one , good sized field, open, and often a cold wintry day at Belmont. Pretty sure it was just Belmont that ran the Hunt Club races. Full betting with bookmakers and tote. Mostly over approximately the 1400-1600 metre distance.
    edited December 2016
    I've meaning to get for years someone to show me where exactly the Helena Valley racecourse was. Was it out Midland way ? One day I'm going to find out exactly where and stand there and have a look!! When growing up the Helena Valley trial results were in the paper so they must have used as trial track after racing had ceased ? However have no idea where it was stationed ? Did it draw a crowd ? Long straight ? Remember them running the Helena Valley Cup for many years at Belmont. But think it's gone now or do they still run that ?
  • DillingerDillinger    43 posts

Ahhh yes.. The Hunt Club races...10 stone (64kg) minimum ...They raced at Belmont Park , Northam, York , & Toodyay ... Last race of the season was the Hunt Club Cup over 2 mile .

I sort of remember a horse named Lampoon winning a Hunt race at Belmont Park . For memory I think it started at 100/1 with J.McNair as the rider.

64kg minimum massive for that time! Many professional hoops were riding around 46-50kg. Didn't realise they ran them in the bush or the two mile race. Just associated them with Belmont. That's interesting.
    edited December 2016
    Can recall picking up the 'West Australian' newspaper and having a read and there it was...Hunt Club races to cease. Times were changing I guess. A good chapter closed. Possibly gone by the very early 80's ?
  • DillingerDillinger    43 posts

Riders ... from another forum... Bill Ransome living in Belmont & going OK ...

I think they were using Helena Vale for trials till about 1980..

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• SquiddySquiddy    89 posts

I've meaning to get for years someone to show me where exactly the Helena Valley racecourse was. Was it out Midland way ? One day I'm going to find out exactly where and stand there and have a look!! When growing up the Helena Valley trial results were in the paper so they must have used as trial track after racing had ceased ? However have no idea where it was stationed ? Did it draw a crowd ? Long straight ? Remember them running the Helena Valley Cup for many years at Belmont. But think it's gone now or do they still run that ?

yes ive always wanted to do the same. I believe it was where the midland industrial area is now. I heard ernie manning say there was a big tree on the home turn that is still there today.

Ridersonthestorm33, Gilgamesh likes this post.

Was just a kid but can always remember someone whispering to my old man...'you can back Bill Ransome...he's always trying' or words to that effect. At the time thought that was priceless information! Rowley Ransome his father was a trainer. Another jockey just came to me Glen Neal I think his name was. Daryl Grenfell another. They weren't high profile but battled away.
  • AquanitaAquanita    566 posts
    I won my third race at my only start at Helena Vale when I accounted for a very promising horse called Juraco. on the 21st November 1959..

JayJay, Gilgamesh, Notapuntas likes this post.

edited December 2016
    If anybody can find out from Ernie exactly where that tree is let me know! Will drive out and have a look. Just to get some idea.