G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 32 Non Members
ElitistElitist    365 posts
Does anyone know the official line on why the Perth Cup is being run on News Year Eve this year? Is it a one off cos it happens to fall on a Saturday?

I hope it wasnt in reaction to a poorer crowd last time? I know I couldnt go cos Southbound began on New Years Day but its back to its normal timeslot a week later this time round.

The Perth Cup, no longer 3200m, no longer on January 1, lets just change its name too.

Comments

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    bit harsh, elitist.
    good decision, in fact the only thing to do.
    what do you want, a country meeing on sat. and then ascot on sunday.
    fair dinkum....
    bet randwick & flemington have their new years day races on the sat.
  • LuckyLongshotsLuckyLongshots    4,270 posts
    I'm not against it - think it may work out to be a better option than trying to catch all the drunks after a big night!

Not sure if it is a one off scenario or will become standard, but remember Elitist the Perth Cup ain't what (most) people go to the Perth Cup to see!

Most wouldn't know the horses are even going around in the marquees!
  • FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts
    I think the decision has been made because of the costs associated with the meeting being on a public holiday.

Not sure how the public will respond but I would think the amount of people attending would be reduced.

Funny how we have a thread lamenting the lack of people going to the track yet those in charge want to make changes to the meeting that attracts the largest crowd.

Harness chose the same option for their New Years eve meeting.
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    said:

Does anyone know the official line on why the Perth Cup is being run on News Year Eve this year? Is it a one off cos it happens to fall on a Saturday?

I hope it wasnt in reaction to a poorer crowd last time? I know I couldnt go cos Southbound began on New Years Day but its back to its normal timeslot a week later this time round.

The Perth Cup, no longer 3200m, no longer on January 1, lets just change its name too.

Any news on changing the race back to 3200? A lot of talk around about aussie stayers not being this or that..... Also a lot of talk around about if we want the breeders to breed out and out stayers then this is a step in the right direction. Any thoughts?
  • ElitistElitist    365 posts
    I would assume theyd get less people to the track on New Years Eve though. As a hardened alcoholic I know its alot easier to back up after a night out than to try and have essentially two separate events on the same day :D
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    It is an idea that I don't quite understand how it saw the light of day. New Years Eve is an event catered by thousands of venues around Perth, from commercial to home parties and everything in between. For Perth Racing to think that they can compete with that they are fooling themselves. Previously run events on the 1st of January were able to attract large crowds that over time have diminished, with various parties being blamed, including Govt Deptartments. But they did so because on New Years Day being a public holiday, irrespective of the day of the week it fell on. Perth Racing had little competition from other functions and venues but this concept will directly compete with many.
  • Long time since I've bothered to go a Perth Cup - looking forward to going this year tho
    boys...you know the high esteem i have of PR but in this case they have done the right thing.
    as i said...do you want a provincial on sat. and then the cup on the sunday.
    i doesn't make sense.
    maybe our eastern states mates can tell us what they are doing...bet its in line with us.
    said:

boys...you know the high esteem i have of PR but in this case they have done the right thing.
    as i said...do you want a provincial on sat. and then the cup on the sunday.
    i doesn't make sense.
    maybe our eastern states mates can tell us what they are doing...bet its in line with us.

the problem here though falc, is that the masses that cup day is catered for, outside the realms of the regular racegoer, probably dont even know its on New Years Eve yet, and when/if they find out (ha i wouldnt be surprised if people turned up on New Years Day!)), I dont see them coming, because there is just so much else to do that night.
    and on top of that the Perth Cup has no chance of being returned to its former glory if changes keep being made, especially such important factors as the distance and the date. Our cup needs an identity and it no longer has one.

oh and Im pretty sure in the 100 plus odd years of the cup its fallen on a Sunday before and the date wasnt changed then!
  • kermietimekermietime    67 posts
    No big staying race in Australia outside of the Melbourne Cup currently has the lustre it once had. There just aren't the same number and quality of stayers anymore. Having the race on a Saturday/Sunday or over 2400/3200 is irrelevant and isn't going to change that. The attitudes of trainers are completely different now than 20 years ago also. 20 years ago trainers wouldn't have worried about cooking a horse by running it on a rock hard track over 2 mile on a 40 degree day. Nowadays most trainers wouldn't run their horses in such conditions.

I'm really looking forward to getting out to the track on NYE. Most NYE's I'll be at work into the afternoon anyway, so I don't know how competition for NYE parties will stop anyone turning up to the track. My mate has his birthday on the 31st and always misses out on having a big bash due to NYE festivities. He is chomping at the bit to get a big crew out to the track to celebrate and cannot wait.
    well said, kermie. remember time frame and crying game leading over the 2 miles in extremely hot conditions.
    like everything these days..its all molly coddle..seen the traffic outside schools at 3pm...jeez!!
    the sat. cup plan could turn out a huge success BUT, big BUT...PR MUST indicate when refreshment will stop being served...that is a MUST.
    People must be taught that they are architects of their own destiny, if they get into strife or get caught by the blue light disco don't go blaming PR for providing giggle juice....they don't put a gun to their head.
  • do we even have a metro race meeting on Public Holidays anymore?
    No we don't piston which is diabolical.
    not even on boxing day which was HUGE with the derby...fantastic day, big crowds, great racing.
    was it broke? nah..then why fix it...yeah, fix it right up.
    Bahhh :x
  • careycarey    6,368 posts
    said:

do we even have a metro race meeting on Public Holidays anymore?

fair go pb, you don't even have metro meetings on saturdays. :lol:
  • TheFunksterTheFunkster    3,840 posts
    said:

the problem here though falc, is that the masses that cup day is catered for, outside the realms of the regular racegoer, probably dont even know its on New Years Eve yet, and when/if they find out (ha i wouldnt be surprised if people turned up on New Years Day!)), I dont see them coming, because there is just so much else to do that night.

Yep. I suspect they don't want the larger crowd these days anyway. With all the strict drinking regulations enforced these days it is bloody near impossible to have the party type atmosphere of tentland in years gone by and pretty difficult to get people to part with $300 bucks for all inclusive marquee deals when drink restrictions cause huge delays in getting served.
    Sadly PR need to have a serious rethink about Perth Cup Day. It is no longer the cash cow it was and having it on NYE will cut attendances even further.
    My prediction 15-20k on NYE and Super Saturday
    15-20 still not a bad crowd, funk.
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Didn't they say the other day that 12k or 15k or so is max profit turnout anyway ?
    Any more just costs $

Anyway - any more than about 3k and you won't get me near the joint............
    i'll duck out for a look see, tivers.
    must remember to take my antibiotics in case i eat something... :lol:
  • TheFunksterTheFunkster    3,840 posts
    said:

Didn't they say the other day that 12k or 15k or so is max profit turnout anyway ?
    Any more just costs $

Anyway - any more than about 3k and you won't get me near the joint............

Then why were they planning on capping attendance at 30k for Black Caviar?
    Why not cap it at 15k if that is max profit?
    wonder how many of those bloody racebooks they'll print.... :x
  • PunterPunter    947 posts
    Perth Cup date going forward should be first Saturday in May. Race increased to 3200m. Horses from Sydney Cup, AJC Oaks, AJC Derby can compete. Make it a WFA contest, and give it a purse of $1 million plus.
    a suggestion to ponder..thats for sure