0 Members & 38 Non Members

New season foals

Breeding

Comments

• DharrisDharris    67 posts
    silky said:

Dharris said:

Mahuta Filly. 1 month old

The mahutas I've seen have really impressed me. I have a nice colt out of a stakes placed mare

Never mind. I think I harvested the info ;)

silky likes this post.

• silkysilky    342 posts
    Dharris said:

silky said:

Dharris said:

The mahutas I've seen have really impressed me. I have a nice colt out of a stakes placed mare

Yep you're onto it with Royale Harvest. I think this years Mahuta is the best foal she's had for us. Ive also seen a few at Bellbridge Park that are very nice types
    silky said:

Dharris said:

silky said:

Dharris said:

Yep you're onto it with Royale Harvest. I think this years Mahuta is the best foal she's had for us. Ive also seen a few at Bellbridge Park that are very nice types

Yes, didn’t want to say incase you don’t post personal info.
    Reckon it was a solid pun though!

Yes I looked her up. Great mare! Be good to see a photo of that one!

silky likes this post.

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    edited January 2019
    Some may find interesting.................
    I'm just going through our foals (Weanlings) and calculating what they've cost us to date (or to 31/12).
    Without service fee all are coming in at around $14k (and then add higher service fees).
    Calculating that back to 1/8/17 (ie from commencement of breeding season in which they were conceived) - so that's 17 months = allow $850 per month

In theory then, take that out to say 30 months (conception to Yearling sale time) that's $25,500 per horse.
    Plus Service Fee
    Plus Sale Prep and Entry Costs etc (if going to public sale)

jum, RIO likes this post.

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    That seems high. Presuming I can get a horse agisted commercially for $22 per day, even for 900 days being birth to sales ring, that's only $19,800. So you have $5,700 in Vet and Farrier costs ?? What have I missed ?

With economies of scale, I would have expected under $20,000 per foal through to yearling sale for a medium to large scale farm.
    How about the month or two to get it covered, and the 11 months gestation ?

RIO likes this post.

And only $5k for other costs isn’t much, no.
    Vet scanning fees.
    Foaling fees.
    Immunisations
    Farriers
    Studbook retirns
    Transports
    Branding
    Microchipping
    Etc etc etc - all costs money.

jum, RIO likes this post.

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    An awful lot of horses will sell on Day 2 for less than your numbers

RIO likes this post.

edited January 2019
    Of course my figures are retail.
    Large scale farm cost will be less / wholesale.

Not suggesting that’s what we actually pay either (eg how do you add up what feed they’ve eaten, real estate they’ve occupied etc).
    I record them as if were a retail customer paying for it all, and take the figures from there.

Of course all the external costs are for real - got to pay them as presented.

RIO likes this post.

Also need to factor in about / at least 10% attrition rate (mares missing, but still cost, and / or foals slipping or dying).
    So add say $2,500 per one that does make it for the 1 in 10 that doesn't (there's half your $5k right there - although all those other extras I listed will make up $5k on their own anyway).
    I worked out around $100/week. Have agistment for $50 per week but also factoring I’m bumping up feed during final trimester. Service fees not included. So I suppose from $7200 +service fee.

I guess if you look at it as an investment it takes the sting away a bit. Definitely not a cheap one though!
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Been doing it now for about 6 years and i really work hard at not trying to work out how much it costs me...But without service fees, i couldn't see us getting a foal to the yearling sales for under 40k, then add another 30k to get to the track if it starts as a late 2yr old So a minimum of 70k to the track.....if it gets there of course!!

Any body want ot buy a share of an unraced 3yr old with a total value of $40k??? Its about half what its costed and most potential owners would have a coronary thinking they are worth that much!!!!

Tough industry at the moment.
    silky said:

Danehill Express filly born this morning

The Witch Doctor running tomorrow in race 3
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    edited February 2019
    Blackfriars filly at 6 months

It used to be so easy to put pictures up.....Now i have no idea!!!!

silky likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts

jpg
    jpg
    Sassy near Mum.jpg
    1M

oldhendo, silky likes this post.

RIO said:

Been doing it now for about 6 years and i really work hard at not trying to work out how much it costs me...But without service fees, i couldn't see us getting a foal to the yearling sales for under 40k, then add another 30k to get to the track if it starts as a late 2yr old So a minimum of 70k to the track.....if it gets there of course!!

Any body want ot buy a share of an unraced 3yr old with a total value of $40k??? Its about half what its costed and most potential owners would have a coronary thinking they are worth that much!!!!

Tough industry at the moment.

Have you considered part leasing to a trainer?
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Several times...no takers.....We just plug along.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    In fact @Dharris i offered 25% to several trainers (free on a 1% lease - as you have to nominate something) and still cant get an interest..... None of them can afford to take too many on either.

As i say regularly, the top end of town are doing great, but unless you have a guaranteed city winner - as every horse that is presented by a syndication or a trainer is (and they aren't, but that is how they talk them up) no-one is interested.

Not a major issue, it is just a hard slog being a small breeder and RWWA have shown no interest in having anything in place to ensure that they continue in the industry. In fact their support is very anti small breeders and single owners. An its only became really difficult for us through ill health and a run of bad luck that is more freakish than Makybe Diva winning 3 Cups in a row!!

On we go..If we jag a win with the next one, we'll be financed for a couple more years. If not....we'll have some nicely bred horses to give away!!!! haha
    RIO said:

In fact @Dharris i offered 25% to several trainers (free on a 1% lease - as you have to nominate something) and still cant get an interest..... None of them can afford to take too many on either.

As i say regularly, the top end of town are doing great, but unless you have a guaranteed city winner - as every horse that is presented by a syndication or a trainer is (and they aren't, but that is how they talk them up) no-one is interested.

Not a major issue, it is just a hard slog being a small breeder and RWWA have shown no interest in having anything in place to ensure that they continue in the industry. In fact their support is very anti small breeders and single owners. An its only became really difficult for us through ill health and a run of bad luck that is more freakish than Makybe Diva winning 3 Cups in a row!!

On we go..If we jag a win with the next one, we'll be financed for a couple more years. If not....we'll have some nicely bred horses to give away!!!! haha

Really sorry to hear that Rio. Word is they are reviewing the Westspeed. Hopefully that will assist the WA horses in keeping that prize money in WA for the trainers/breeders.

RIO likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    edited February 2019
    Yep, i'm just one of many...A lot have already stopped and got out. For many years the Wetspeed has been focused on keep the big owners in the system (big by number and group racing horses) but now there is this significant void of midweek an less horses.

Anyway i can easily choose to get out for ever, if things get any worse. So the financial pain the situation creates is all of my own doing, as i am not a good 5 or 10% owner!!! As that is what the industry is geared for these days
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    edited March 2019
    Still cant get photos up...

Dharris likes this post.

• Cupid_StuntCupid_Stunt    14 posts
    thoughts on this? am new to owning shares, any decent tips would be greatly appreciated 
    http://www.mortonracing.com.au/horses/safeguardlinyanti-gelding/
    edited June 2020

edited June 2020

Third time lucky :) The Witch Doctor(Danehill Express x Diatorio) race 4 number 10 Belmont today

png
    png
    TWD.png
  • The_BullThe_Bull    918 posts
    edited June 2020
    The_Bull said:

Only one we bred this year. Times are tough, and the WA industry is tougher. $12k gets you a serve to Bel Esperit, and Playing god is $11k? Please....

This colt is by an unheard of, EXTREMELY well bred son of Lonrho, out of an unraced Patronize mare. A massive gamble. But racing in WA against Bob is nothing more than a gamble anyway...

12hrs old. I couldn't be happier 
    :D
    Same foal now 20 months old, broken in and heading off to the paddock today for a spell. He's turned into a ripper... Gotta love the journey. Don't mind the 2 rough heads....

jpg
    jpg
    Bolt.jpg
    jpg
    jpg
    bolt2.jpg

Thunderstruck, oldhendo, silky, jum likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    edited June 2020
    Bloody hell He sure is a good looker!
    edited August 2020
    Had a lovely Universal Ruler x Patapus filly born yesterday. VERY exited. For some reason I keep getting an "unknown error" message when I try and upload pics.
    Here we are, Welcome to the world Piper.

jpg
    jpg
    piper.jpg
    jpg
    jpg
    piperroxy3.jpg
    jpg
    jpg
    piperroxy4.jpg
  • spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    Hope she wins a truckload for you Bull