Who's Online

0 Members & 28 Non Members

Essendon call in ASADA

Sport

Comments

• CarlosaCarlosa    1,287 posts
    I didn't want to say as much...
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    I think the word "cheat" is being used in the wrong way for some people, particulary the players

CHEAT
    Noun
    A person who behaves dishonestly in order to gain an advantage.
    I don't think this accurately describes the players in question. 

Geez, I'm looking forward to some pre game frothies just to loosen up the vocal chords so I can bat off all the crap that's gonna come from the glorious WC fans tonight!

Octopus, where do you sit?  I'll be sure to ignore that section...

• octaviusoctavius    2,290 posts
    How can you not lose all points if a number of your players have taken performance enhancing drugs and therefore gained an unfair playing advantage?
    Have they though? How is that measured....?
    How can you not lose point? Because it was last year. How long does the 'benefit' last? All career? No premiership points till 2019!!!

H-BOMBER likes this post.

Carlosa said:

Geez, I'm looking forward to some pre game frothies just to loosen up the vocal chords so I can bat off all the crap that's gonna come from the glorious WC fans tonight!

Octopus, where do you sit?  I'll be sure to ignore that section...

Good luck mate, i'll be watching from home. While 90% of the crowd are generally ok, and we all can take a bit of back and forth, its the 10% DHs that I cant be bothered with  :-q

Carlosa, oldhendo, RIO, squid69 likes this post.

• troopertrooper    681 posts
    Tivers said:

Carlosa said:

Have they though? How is that measured....?

Correct me if im wrong but i believe AOD went on the Ban list in Jan 2011.

Meaning in my books in 2012 they were cheating regardless of the storys that players come up with.

ultimate responsibility to know what goes in there body lies with the players just like any other sport.

pleading ignorance just isnt a excuse.

i agree they were probably misled but thats not a defence imo.

This all looks like a monumental stuff up by the doctors/medical staff etc.

You cant tell me that the players bandied together to pull one over the AFL. If they did, then they are CHEATS

I do not believe they did this. I believe they acted on advice from the so called experts in the club, in good faith. This to me is not cheating. Therefore the players cant be labelled as cheats? They have unknowingly done the wrong thing. That is different surely. 

I guess we should start labeling everyone who throws a ball out of a tackle, who plays for a high tackle etc as cheats as well? Lot of cheats out there in the AFL then, because by definition these are all acts of dishonesty in trying to gain an advantage.

TheFunkster likes this post.

Carlosa said:

How can you not lose point? Because it was last year. How long does the 'benefit' last? All career? No premiership points till 2019!!!

How about the 2013 pre-season?

Ask the cyclists how long performance enhancing drugs can continue to give you an advantage once you train and build up under the influence...
  • TheSwooperTheSwooper    1,717 posts
    Has anyone come out and said why the injections were necessary in the first place? Did it enable them to train harder etc?
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    If they are Anti Obesity Drugs(AOD) then i'd suggest they attack fat cells, which when used with an AFL footballers exercise regime, could build more muscle mass...
  • BlacksAFakeBlacksAFake    2,372 posts
    Just give it to em like they gave it to Carlton :-*
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    they done it in the Rugby to Melbourne Storm for salary cap breaches didn't they...think this is a bit worse than that..

IFFFFFFF they don't have a written assessment from the governing bodies (or similar) saying it was okay to be administered for the 2012 season...all players and administrators will be gone....it will be the end of the playing list as i'd imagine that all, or the large majority of players would have been in the program...big If though
  • dungydungy    9,278 posts
    edited June 2013
    octavius said:

How can you not lose all points if a number of your players have taken performance enhancing drugs and therefore gained an unfair playing advantage?

I agree its a no brainer cant play the stupid card ,no differant to a strapper jabbing up a horse the trainer is in charge he cops it on the chin not the strapper but still unproven so see how it plays out

goose likes this post.

And the 10% of supporters ruin it for the majority, as predicted. Stick that in your needle and inject it
  • goosegoose    1,628 posts
    Understand that Jobe Watson is a great bloke no doubt but what does this issue have to do with personality's? shouldnt have any affect on the outcome Essendon took PED's so cop a penalty.
  • dungydungy    9,278 posts
    H-BOMBER said:

And the 10% of supporters ruin it for the majority, as predicted. Stick that in your needle and inject it

:))

Thats gold H

H-BOMBER likes this post.

• SPUDLEYSPUDLEY    1,584 posts

The Bombers may have won this little battle but they cannot win the war as they have no integrity left at all, with Jobe Watson's admission this week all their celebrations tonight will mean absolutely bugger all, once the report comes out James Hird, Mark Thompson and their medical staff should be de-registered and the Essendon Football Club fined heavily as Cheats are not supposed to prosper.

Plus there should be a full investigation in to Geelong as well because Mark Thompson and his fitness coach were there as well.

The Westcoast supporters should be ashamed of themselves.

• bradybrady    1,452 posts
    SPUDLEY said:

The Bombers may have won this little battle but they cannot win the war as they have no integrity left at all, with Jobe Watson's admission this week all their celebrations tonight will mean absolutely bugger all, once the report comes out James Hird, Mark Thompson and their medical staff should be de-registered and the Essendon Football Club fined heavily as Cheats are not supposed to prosper.

Plus there should be a full investigation in to Geelong as well because Mark Thompson and his fitness coach were there as well.

The Westcoast supporters should be ashamed of themselves.

Didn't matter who Essendon played this week
    Watson would have been Boooeed by any crowd ?
  • TheFunksterTheFunkster    3,840 posts
    RIO said:

If they are Anti Obesity Drugs(AOD) then i'd suggest they attack fat cells, which when used with an AFL footballers exercise regime, could build more muscle mass...

AOD-9604 helps shed fat, gain muscle and a side effect is that it has been found to regenerate/regrow cartilage, so is also being trialled as a treatment for osteoarthritis. I know because I want to get on it - for all 3 reasons! 
    B-)
    Go Dons!

H-BOMBER, Tivers likes this post.

• forzajuveforzajuve    369 posts
    Nobody doubts Watson is a good bloke & whether he is or is not nobody is judging him, the commentators were knobs

Watson was taking a drug every week or every couple of weeks, if the drug was not to boost performance what was the hell was he thinking, it was stop wrinkles or something..

It just reminds me of Warney using his mum giving him the drug which resulted in him being banned
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    edited June 2013
    Watson should not have been boo'd because :

1. He should be applauded for speaking the
    truth (not a concept WC are familiar with)

2. He should be applauded for playing awesome in the face of
    adversity

3. The Bummers have a letter advice from AADA advising that
    the drug was NOT on WADA's banned list at the time (letter is wrong maybe, but
    that's not Jobe's fault)

4. He has not been charged with anything

5. And if none of the above counts - it's the club that's done
    wrong, not him - question - did he ever touch the drug, or a syringe
    ?

Carlosa, H-BOMBER, oldhendo, squid69 likes this post.

brady dislikes this post.

• LuckyLongshotsLuckyLongshots    4,270 posts
    Tivers is correct - the whole club is to blame (not one player).

However, a letter stating that a drug is not 'banned' (yet has not been approved for humans) - should have put up some major red flags - someone at Essendon made a wrong decision to allow their players to be injected with a performance enhancing drug (whether legal or not), which had not been approved for humans.
  • forzajuveforzajuve    369 posts
    My reading of it is AOD-9604 may not have been on the prohibited list but it was probably in the non approved substances category S0 thus making it prohibited.

By having a non approved list it helps WADA as drug testers are always chasing the doctors & athletes

THE AFL has floated the extraordinary prospect of pulling Essendon from the 2013 premiership race.

AFL football operations chief Mark Evans today confirmed it was an option the league commission could consider once the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority investigation was completed.

The Bombers doping probe is due to finish before the September finals series.

"It is certainly within the scope of the commission to do that, but it will be a commission decision once it has been tabled," Evans said.

"There is a range of possibilities if the commission decided there was a breach that needed to be acted on.

"That could include a whole range of things from fines, draft picks ... it could be dealing with individuals and anything else."

Bell: Jobe should be stood down

The heat on Essendon was also turned up by former AFL Players' Association president Peter Bell, who called for Bombers skipper Jobe Watson to be stood down immediately.

Watson confessed last week to believing he had been administered the banned drug AOD-9604.

"For a guy to openly confess that he had taken an illegal substance against the rules under the WADA code, he should have been an infraction and stood down straight away and an opportunity for him to get out and give his defence should have been made," Bell told Perth radio 6PR.

"There's no way in my opinion and I have got a lot of admiration for Jobe Watson and I sympathise with him a lot under the circumstances that I understand.

"But it is clear cut absolutely clear cut that there should be a hearing right now.

"There may well be a defence that we are not aware of.

"But if he is cleared and there is not a legitimate defence that will reduce, in the eyes of international sport, the AFL to a laughing stock."

Bell condemned the AFL's silence on the Watson admission.

"The silence from the AFL is deafening," he said.

"You are running our competition that we all are stakeholders in, whatever your agenda is and I understand due process.

"Due process is out the window right now because of Jobe Watsons admission.

"It is embarrassing the AFL. I need to hear from the AFL."

Essendon remains hopeful its players will escape sanction from ASADA over the club's 2012 supplements regime.

A guilty verdict from ASADA would almost certainly see the Bombers declared ineligible for this year's flag.

But the club is bracing to be heavily punished by the AFL Commission regardless of the outcome of the ASADA investigation.

Essendon has won 10 of 13 games this season and sits in third position on the AFL table.

brady likes this post.

Will be done right before finals as not to jeopardise revenue streams for both the club and the league during the season proper. Going to be gut wrenching for all the supporters if they make the four and get pulled/stripped of points, but they have to see it coming....
    edited July 2013
    Yep
    Exactly as I've been saying for weeks........................just saying

AFL easier to read than last week's newspaper
    :)
  • JordanJordan    1,827 posts
    If Bombers finish top 4 and get pulled to let the fifth team move into 4th and that teams Freo bet is void Chris !!