Who's Online

1 Members & 27 Non Members

Eagles - Player rankings at the bye

Sport
squid69squid69    1,434 posts
edited June 2013 Sport

While I'm on a roll, and it's a quiet Sunday night, I'll give the Eagles a go

Jacob Brennan (C) - Solid enough in defence. Has a real go, and I like that

Mitchell Brown (C+) - Not quite sold on him, he fights with Schofield & MacKenzie for a run. Doesn't shirk the task though.

Sam Butler (C+) - Playing to his normal level, in the best 22 when fully fit.

Dean Cox (B+) - Great start to the year, did drop away before NicNat came back. Now back in tandem and getting forward. One of their best still.

Jamie Cripps (D-) - This bloke should be given more of a go. Tough and skilful, stats aren't great, will be a long term player though

Bradd Dalziell (D) - Just finds the step up to AFL from WAFL a bridge too far. Unfortunately for him will always be a fringe player.

Jack Darling (B) - 26 goals so far, has played his part. Maybe not at his absolute best, but is putting in.

Andrew Embley (D-) - Slipping towards borderline best 22. Age is catching up with him, not as effective as in past years.

Andrew Gaff (C+) - Has struggled this year big time, Doesn't appear to know how to shake a tag. Much better than what he is showing.

Darren Glass (A+) - Captain courageous. Holds the defence together, rarely plays a bad one. Can also play with injury. Very good year so far.

Ashton Hams (D-) - I expected more from this little fella so far. Fringe player, pressures well but needs to kick more goals

Josh Hill (B) - Has cemented his spot and has been one of the best this year. Competes hard and knows how to kick a goal. Wouldn't have said that in his later Doggie days.

Shannon Hurn (C-) - I thought he had a very ordinary start to the year, but is starting to come good of late. Vital rebounding off half back

Mark Hutchings (C-) - Stiff not to play today. His two games have been very good indeed, and has a future.

Josh Kennedy (A) - Forget the runup, this bloke is a genuine star forward. Terrific start to the year, marks strongly, kicks accurately.

Daniel Kerr (B+) - I don't think Kerry has been too bad. Has lost a yard of two of pace, but still does the grunt work. Far from the worst so far

Mark Lecras (C+) - Has lost the compass of late, very unusual for him. Needs to lift to help get the Eagles in to a challenging spot.

Scott Lycett (D+) - Only played 1 game

Eric MacKenzie (B+) - Best of the three tall lieutenants to Captain Glass. He's been solid all year.

Chris Masten (B) - Has turned in to one of the best of the midfield. Racks up possessions now, and doesn't butcher the ball as much. Solid year so far

Nic Naitanui (B+) - Still a tough bloke to mark. Has done the magnificent as we all know, but still lacks solid 4 quarter efforts. Maybe that is harsh given the disrupted pre season. He does lift the team when out there though.

Matt Priddis (B) - What you see is what you get, hard, tough and does the dirty work. Will always lack a little pace, and disposal can be dodgy, but you want him in the trenches with you. Solid year so far

Matt Rosa (C-) - Just starting to hit his straps after injury. Will only get better and is a very important part of this side

Will Schofield (C-) - One of the tall defenders who I think has been pretty good this year. In front of Brown for a game when fit

Adam Selwood (C+) - He has been a good servant, but dropping off the pace this year

Scott Selwood (A+) - Showing real leadership, he has been one of the best all year. Getting plenty of it, a few of his teammates should follow his lead

Brad Sheppard (C) - I think he is finding his feet now. Will continue to improve, not the worst in this lot. Needs to get a bit stronger over the ball maybe

Luke Shuey (C-) - Started slowly, on the improve. Matching his average disposals from last year, which did surprise me. An important player in the back end of the season.

Callum Sinclair - (D-) - Rookie big fella who has shown a bit. I don't mind the way he goes about things. Give him a couple more years and more opportunity

Ashley Smith (D) - Only played 3 games. Tough and hard at it, lacks polish still. On the edge of the main players.

Beau Waters (B+) - Injury plagued start to the year, he gives it everything and inspires on the field. Had played well in the 4 games he managed. Needs to get back on the park sooner rather than later.

Sharrod Wellingham (C) - Showed in his 3 games to date that he will be very valuable. Will bounce back

Blayne Wilson (D) - Liked his game today. First match but showed enough to maybe persevere with.

So that is that, overall I reckon I have marked the Dockers better, which reflects ladder position. Anyway, as always, open to debate

Comments

• JordanJordan    1,827 posts
    Wilson had a good game uses the ball very well should get a regular gig Butler and A Selwoods days are numbered
  • octaviusoctavius    2,290 posts
    Hurn a C-, less than A Selwood? No way.

In our top 3 most important players and has been pretty good this year despite usually getting alot of attention. If we didn't have him we wouldnt get it past the half way line. He would be in a high % of our scoring chains and his kicks out from full back of which he is arguably the best in the league don't show up on the stat sheet, but there's another 10+ important kicks a game, at a very high efficiency...
  • squid69squid69    1,434 posts
    octavius said:

Hurn a C-, less than A Selwood? No way.

In our top 3 most important players and has been pretty good this year despite usually getting alot of attention. If we didn't have him we wouldnt get it past the half way line. He would be in a high % of our scoring chains and his kicks out from full back of which he is arguably the best in the league don't show up on the stat sheet, but there's another 10+ important kicks a game, at a very high efficiency...

Sorry Occy, minus better than a plus (that's always been my understanding), so Hurn definitely better than Selwood. I thought Hurn was poor early on (by his standards), but getting back to somewhere near his top