In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 1 Non Members

Top 50 Western Australian Pacers of All Time

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,278 posts
    edited July 2013
    And who could ever forget the commentary of the great Jimmy Chadwick as my name sake Willy flew home to nab the long odds on favourite the champion frog Preux Chevalier JJ! 
    What a time & what a crowd, those were the days. 
    :x
  • JayJayJayJay    7,665 posts
    Jimmy Chadwick does the calling on the link I've posted above - would love to hear George calling - he was legend! And check out the enormous crowd. Heady days indeed.Coulson out drove them all that night on a young inexperienced horse. Simply brilliant.
  • Aussiereds72Aussiereds72    601 posts
    Wasn't a top horse but loved watching it run little leg before but can't remember the trainer
  • AndrewCarterAndrewCarter    2,171 posts
    Amyquil glad someone finally got around to mentioning Chandon, he was the fastest horse at Lark Hill (Secret Harbour) at the time, not even the gallopers could keep up with him on the beach.

Greg Harper still maintains it was the best horse he's ever put a bridle on, I've never seen a horse sprint faster than Chandon when he won the APC at the Gold Coast he was going so fast out very wide on the track that  day from last that Vic Frost all but fell out of the cart as he skidded around the corner.

Unfortunately he backed him up a few days later in the QPC at Albion Park on the Saturday night when he was sore and broke the horse down, (he still won although pushed out) if he hadn't backed him up he would have made it to the Miracle Mile and annihilated them.

I watched the QPC on TV at Moonee Valley with Greg Harper and he commented to me after they had gone just 50metres that the horse was as sore as and that he couldn't believe that they had started him.

Greg eventually got the horse back and he was flying in preparation for the Perth Inters and was standing up beautifully and Greg still swears blind that he would have slaughtered them but the owner who didn't want to be proven wrong refused to allow him to start the horse and he was retired to stud.

I've never seen any pacer look in better nick than Chandon was prior to that Inters he was absolutely glowing and was a muscled up machine that was towelling up everything in the stable and obliterating the clock.

The only horse I've seen since that can sprint like would be Quinnie who is lightning quick but not quite as explosive as Chandon was when he let down.

VillageKid likes this post.

Aussiereds, Leg Before was bred, owned, trained and driven by Alan Tuthill down in the South West. He raced for years and years and won heaps of races. He was a little horse but honest as day. I think he qualified for a couple of Pacing Cup Finals - was a bit of a rags to riches story I think, starting off life at Bridgetown or Busselton tracks and ending up winning very decent fast class races.

Will look up his record tomorrow and post it up here, Good pick up - had forgotten completely about him.

edited July 2013
    Leg Before (by Timely Score, a good little horse raced by Roy Annear when Jack Retzlaff was his trainer) raced from December 1990 (5 wins from 6 starts at Busselton as a 4 y old)) through to March 1997. 147 starts for 25 wins and 36 places for $198,798 in stakes. 10 wins at GP and 3 at Fremantle. Amazingly consistent horse who raced well to 11 years old - as you say, not top 50 material but just another of those very durable locally bred horses that we would all love to have owned.
    Qualified for 2 WA Pacing Cup Finals.

Andrew Carter, Chandons record is truly outstanding and not having him on the original list was a blind ommision. 25 starts, 19 wins and 4 placings for $428,506 from 1992 to 1994.

100,000 2YO Westral, Classic, 2YO Champagne Classic, 2YO Golden Slipper Stakes, (2nd) Western Gateway Pace, (3rd) Victoria Derby (M.V), WA Derby, $200,000 El Dorado Final (M.V), $50,000 Ben Hur in 1.55.6 (H.P), 1994 Australian PC (Gold Coast), Queensland P.C. (Albion Park)

All against quality opposition . I guess he snuck under the radar as many of his best performances were over East but thats no excuse. Right up there (I think) in the top 10 of modern day performers.

• Piston_BrokePiston_Broke    2,047 posts
    Jay Jay tricky won a big race like APC with a horse in SA, it might not have been Yarracoola, any idea what horse I am thinking about ?
    I have never seen a bigger crowd at the trots as what was there this night

edited July 2013
    Then we had these superstars

Swapzee Bromac won a $130,000 race at Globe Derby for Tricky in 1986. That's about about as big a purse as they ever raced for in SA where the stakes were/are diabolical.I'm guessing it was and Australian pacing Championship or their Cup???

Oh the great days of match racing - not only a huge crowd at the "It's A Steal for Pure Steel/ It's All Over Go Satinover" promotion (I think that was the bumper stickerthat was produced at the time) but an atmosphere like nothing I've ever experienced - absolutely electric and standing room only. Steelo was my all time favorite - I used to see him at Phil's out at Herdsman Parade and I know how highly Coulson rated him. "None tougher" was his description and how true was that. Brave and tough and high cruising speed - a winning combination.

As for the "Great Derby Challenge"haha -Never knew that existed on You Tube, great pick up. Thanks for the link. Pre- AFL days had some extraordinary East Freo/South Freo promotional pranks - mowing lawns with nail scissors for the loser etc. Big Ron looked like an ungainly giraffe in the spider, pity the poor beast that towed Browny around and Toddy actually looked okay behind a horse. I think he was familiar with horses from his childhood at the great little town of Deanmill .......I think he accompanied his Dad or Uncle out to the bush on horse and cart to deposit the "Night cart" collections from the unsewered mill cottages!!!! Good bloke Toddy and a great sport.

Thats the one Swapzee Bromac  cheers
    I seem to recall Ron Barrassi drive in some sort of weird time trial to set a world record over an odd distance???? Phil Coulson also time trialled something in an "American Styled " cart - the Time trials and celebrity races were part and parcel of promotions but the fun police probably have a millions laws, regulations, occupational health bylaws and you would have to secure 80 grillion dollars of publiuc liability insurance before you could even speak in public about threatening to organise something like that these days.

JJ im very impressed with your knowledge on the trots mate ..btw where do you get all the information regarding horses, drivers, trainers careers may I ask?
    Mainly memories - been involved one way or another for 50 years - was around pacing stables mainly picking up the proverbial as a little kid- George Booths was the first one I ever went to. And there are various data bases around the net where you can check facts and figures - harness link etc. Also lurked around racing stables - went to my first race meeting aged 5 with Joy and Tiger Moore at Beverly. But mainly I read and retain. Just loved the atmosphere and humour at places like Alby Harmans Blacksmith shop in Cannington - morning tea was a hoot with sticky buns which Jack Jones would bring along, lots of great characters.

Good stuff mate ..Is Alby Harman any relation to Wayne? If I remember correctly Wayne had a few handy pacers over the years like Maxwell Hook.
    Waynes Dad. Farrier shop was in Station Street Cannington. Yes, Maxwell Hook another one that raced (successfully) for years - won heaps of races. Will look him up tomorrow but the 80's I think. In those days, I was with old Jack Jones - Gleaming, Bylaw One, Terre, Lady Be Cool - we had heaps of fun and so many stories could I tell - some so funny but probably not for publication to protect the not so innocent - pretty harmless as well. Great characters who are sadly not here. Don't know if Alby is still around but he was a master farrier.

Maxwell Hook - top juvenile who raced on very well. Foaled 1981 by Captain Hook from a Benghazi Hanover mare. 151 starts for 25 wins and 44 places earning $225,458 retiring in 1981.

1984 Golden Slipper 2YO $30,000
    1985 Group 1 Sires Stakes 3YO $50,000
    1985 Western Gateway Pace Fremantle $20,000

More than handy and I think Wayne's best horse.

Trots have many great stories, My Dad was apprentice in Freo in the 50's, he talks about Pop and Max Johnson how they dominated pacing in WA, ex trot people like Les Poyser, Alan Woodworth, Jimmy Schrader, foremanfor The Johnsons was a young lad called Kevin Newman who later dominated pacing in NSW, they would meet up at Alby Mollets blacksmith shop.

Yes, spent time at Alby Molletts as well. Laurie Robinson did his time there. Max Johnson only recently stopped driving - remarkable. We used to go and see old Pop for some paste to put on the legs of one that was a bit proppy. Kevin Newman was top notch - I recall Mitchell Victory in particular as a top horse. Woody was hilarious - some stories there!!!! and Jimmy the Jet. Great clashes between Johhny Toledo and Typhson over one Christmas Carnival - great rivalry between Jim and Lyle Lindau. Les Poyser master reinsman, cool as a cucumber. Drove Steelo when Phil was suspended and had great success with Speedy Ben and Melfield Tyros from Tassie and all the Les Baldwin horses Velocipede, Satanas and Hands On or Hands Up????

He was before my time but No Dill must have been a pretty handy pacer as well, took it up to Mount Eden a couple of times!
    Just seemed to be a plodder but had a decent record for Georgie James. Ran past Mount Eden in a Christmas Handicap final at GP and as he went past, George got a bit cheeky and said (words to the effect) "I think I've got you beaten Jack old son" only for the incredible Mt Eden to lift and run straight past him as they turned for home. The crowd went nuts. George got a bit eager!!!! No Dill won some good races after that - Bunbury Cup comes to mind.

I've spent the day sneaking around dark haunts, old stables and even older shady characters to emerge with some late nominations and some fabulous stories. Some might be too long ago for many to remember, so I'll try and add a bit of background where I can.

Tiara Court - for Ray Sweetman - an enduring and high quality Cup Class horse - won over 30 races.

HyCraft - 1964 Cup winner for the MCCreery Family in Kalannie. Trained by Phil Coulson and driven bt Laurie Robinson. Rated an incredible 2.7.5 over 2 miles in 1964 from the stand which broke all records.

Bintravis - great racehorse and sire.

Captain Sandy - is he a bona fide WA horse?- bought by WA interests late in life after he had already won an Interdominion in 1950. But he just got better and better and won another won in Perth for a youngish Bob Pollock. Timetrialled in 1.57 or something at Bunbury, absolute champ.

Jack Oro - good racehorse, even better sire - King Oro etc

Golta - a striking black that raced in the "Meteor Mile" - sub 2 minute and big Cups winner for the Godecke's.

Baldavis - a Bunbury Derby winning star.

Swahili - one of Lightening Les Poysers Kellet horses - Derby winner, speed machine.

Magic Flute - hilarious story - Derby Winner but famous for the biggest demonstration ever at GP when winning the Easter Cup in a major form reversal for the Kersleys. Ive actually got the black vinyl recording of the race and presentation 1957. Old JP Stratton had to abandon the ceremony such was the noise and boo's. Dr Early was the owner. Suspensions followed but he was a very good horse. Huge ruckus -went on for weeks.
    Local Product - high quality Cups horse for Russell Roberts and FRK when they were still friends. Must have been before Pure Steel.
    Radiant Fortune for Merv Stockden and Lyle - won lots of FFA/Fast Class races

Raider Adios - first 2 minute horse in WA but not sure if that is correct (for Fred Doy)

Tenessee Sky - another part time West Aussie who was leased from NSW by the Kersleys and won an Interdominion in 1954.

That makes 117 nominations on the thread - now its time to do the top 50 thing. I'll put up a list tomorrow.

• AndrewCarterAndrewCarter    2,171 posts
    Just realised several other very notable omissions, Whitby Timer, Whitby's Miss Penny, Timer was a living certainty in the Miracle Mile but broke down a day or two prior to the race over there.

Rod Chambers tells a great story about Timer when first up in the Golden Nugget, Mazzini Magic Trevor Warwick brilliant mare is rolling along in front in a heat of the Nugget and Tricky thinks he's really travelling and Rod's outside him at the bell going whoa Timer, whoa, and Tricky's going fuck off  as his jaws drop opens in utter amazement at how well Timer's travelling, soon after Rod give Timer an inch of rein and he puts Mazzini Magic to the sword and walks in with the heat.

That was Timer's first start as a 4yo I think and Rod knew they had a total star on their hands and backed him accordingly even though Mazzini Magic if I remember correctly still ran odds on favourite but they got a fortune out of Timer that night.

Worthy Nominations Andrew. Late nominees Ardcliffe and Bronze Whaler (Ray Sweetman), Doulton (fast class pacer of Bernie Cushing) and Admirals Avenue (Cup winner and State record holder Mile for ages) for Phil Coulson and Justin Warwick. Takes it to 123 absolute ripper nominations.

edited July 2013
    I remember both Whitby Timer & Whitbys Miss Penny Andrew, trained & driven by Rod Chambers & bred & owned by Dr Ed Dewar from memory. Ace Of Whitby was also a very good juvenile who won some big races for them. The De Campo's from Bunbury always had some very good pacers as well Bunbury Boy, Smooth Business, Smooth Prince, Son Of Otara, Triple Ties etc
    Ray DeCampo was a lovely fella and Son Of Otara on the list - won big races up in Queensland and dominat in his age group. Smooth Business won heaps of races and the DeCampo dynasty continues through Andrew and Aiden. Help me out - damned if I can think of a fairly recent high class Cups horse that Andrew raced - won plenty of fast Class/Cups races here and went interstate. It will come to me!!!!!

Yes, Dr Dewar owned and trained all of the "Whitbys" along with Rod Chambers.

Got it Andrew DeCampo - Ohoka Ace - Brennan Cup, Stratton Cup, 2 FTC Members Sprints, Lord Mayors Cup - and plenty of placings at the highest level. Just a whisker off being an absolute star but along with Smooth Business that takes the total to 125 nominations

• BroomeCup4EverBroomeCup4Ever    341 posts
    Preux Chevalier was the best I saw. His win in the AG Hunter Cup (I think it was this race) was nothing short oif outstanding. Sat outside one of Vin Knights good horses and crossed him at the bell, went on to win by 30 - 40 metres.

You Tube link from Piston_broke to the Hunter Cup in earlier post - sensational that night - led up from gate 3 and just gapped a class field. Won by panels, much more than the "25 metres" in the call from Wondais Mate.