G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 18 Non Members

Top 50 Western Australian Pacers of All Time

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• everreadyeverready    282 posts
    Ronan had one more decent horse after Sir Lektor pouge maghone (something like that) k.keys took it over after he retired I think
  • JayJayJayJay    7,668 posts
    Yes, Pogue Mahone won 15 races....I think Rod Chambers had him at the end. His best win was the $20k GWN Country Cup in 1993 and then he ran 2nd in the same race in 1995. Ended up with an M3 classification but won a lot of races in the country. Very handy -  the literal Gaelic translation of his name means "Kiss My ****" or something similar... Irish Band the Pogues had an album of that name. They snuck that one by the naming authorities.
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    One here for you JJ ... Casey O Tara do you recall her and did Lyle Lindau drive her ? And where would you rate Lyle Lindau in the great drivers you've seen ?
    And another JJ ... I recall Morgan James running a lot of 2nds behind Village Kid but was there a night where Morgan James finally beat the Kid ? Im pretty sure he did in an upset. Garry Lilleyman was his regular driver ?
    Casey O'Tara first ...yes, Lyle Lindau...a jet black Lordship mare of well above average ability who raced through to fast class and was ultra competitive. Raced in white harness and always looked the part. Ran 3rd in an Empress Stakes behind Racy Times, 2nd to Gap Road (FRK) in a Howard Porter Memorial, 3rd to top class mares Burrows and Via Vista in a Breeders Stakes and beat Nerida Frost (Phil Coulson/Wilf Powell) in the 4YO Triple Crown for mares. Lyle was one of the all time best as chronicled earlier in this thread......great tactical driver over decades and a top trainer as well. Hall of Fame material. And a good bloke as well. Roscott, Dollars Double, Wee Cent, Blue Pennant, Sign Again, Typhson, Radiant Fortune, Oxford etc etc and a highly sought after free lance driver.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

Morgan James had 250 race starts for 56 wins and 86 placings and over $570k for trainer driver Gary Lilleyman. He was an out and out champ year after year racing against the best of the best. I have them clashing on 12 occasions when one or the other was placed. BOTRA  Cup 1985 Village Kid 1st, Morgan James 2nd (Morgan won it in 1987, 1988 and was 2nd to Manageable in 1989), Pacing Cup 1988 Village kid 1st, Morgan James 3rd, Lord Mayors Cup 1986 Village Kid 1st, Morgan James 2nd, 1987 Manageable 1st, Morgan James 2nd, Village Kid 3rd, 1989 Village Kid 1st, Morgan James 3rd, 1990 Village Kid 1st, Morgan James 3rd, Media Cup 1987 Village Kid 1st Morgan James 3rd, Fremantle Cup 1988 Village Kid 1st, Morgan James 2nd, 1989 Village Kid 1st, Morgan James 2nd, Mt Eden Sprint 1987 Village Kid 1st Morgan James 3rd, Fremantle Members Sprint 1985 Village Kid 1st, Morgan James 3rd and 1988 Morgan James 1st, Village Kid 2nd...the only win he had over Village Kid. Imagine what Morgan would have won if Village Kid had stayed in New Zealand. Both enduring champions in my view.

edited June 2015
    Ok JJ here is a very obscure horse who I know nothing about except to say I had a decent place bet on one day at a Monday GP meeting... Don't think it won many races .It's name was Katoa and was driven this day by Colin Brown seems a '100' years ago now and Browny was an experienced driver back then! All I can remember is that it was a stand and I think Katoa was off 10 or 20 metres and was skillfully handled by Brown to run into the placings. Any record of Katoa in any history of results ? No idea of the trainer. It's only because he ran a place that I have remembered him!
    Geez Riders, you must have had a good collect. Obscure isn't the word as far as Katoa goes...has tested the depths of my research skills. A 1974 foal by Lucky Western out of the spectacularly unproductive mare Paeroa bred in NSW. Katoa is the only winner in 3 generations of this family and he had 6 sisters, none of whom won, and none of whom have produced a winner. He was trained by Colin Brown and N. Watson? in the late 70's and records show 1 win  and 6 placings from 35 starts. I very vaguely remember him winning a race at Northam when I was on the Committee of the Northam Trotting Club. However, his stakes record of $12k back in those days would suggest he won a few more times or was placed a few more times than the records suggest. The chronicling of records from those days is pretty haphazard.
    Funny how we remember things....I was about 11 or 12 years old and conned some bloke outside the Bentley TAB to put 10 shillings a place on a horse called Yamagee (Don Harper) back in the 60's. It lead up and hung on for 3rd and paid 3 Pound 16 shillings and sixpence the place. I remember thinking at the time "How good is this, how long has this caper been going on, What time is the next race?" An early victim of the highs and lows of the punt haha.

Ridersonthestorm33, Rex likes this post.

Must go up to Colin Brown one day and ask him of his memories of Katoa . The funny thing is that as a kid I thought Browny was in the veteran class back then! Thanks JJ I knew if anybody could locate a record of Katoa you could.
    Saddened to report the passing of Alan Tuthill last weekend, a more down to earth thoroughly decent little bloke you could ever hope to meet. A local Manjimup beef farmer who always had a couple of horses, most notable that wonderful little chestnut Leg Before whom he bred, owned, trained and drove to many wins. A real giant killer who won over 20 metro races including a Mount Eden mile amongst many other open class wins. He had been battling cancer for a long time and will be sadly missed by many down here. I did post Timely Scores significant record earlier in this thread but the look on this very humble blokes face the night he won the Mt Eden mile is a memory forever.
    From Page 2 of this thread:

Leg Before (by Timely Score, a good little horse raced by Roy Annear when Jack Retzlaff was his trainer) raced from December 1990 (5 wins from 6 starts at Busselton as a 4 y old)) through to March 1997. 147 starts for 25 wins and 36 places for $198,798 in stakes. 10 wins at GP and 3 at Fremantle. Amazingly consistent horse who raced well to 11 years old - as you say, not top 50 material but just another of those very durable locally bred horses that we would all love to have owned.
    Qualified for 2 WA Pacing Cup Finals.

jum, squid69, kane likes this post.

JayJay said:

Riders...from an earlier post in the Top 50 Thread

Frank Kersley did indeed have a lengthy association with the great champion Caduceus, arguably one of the greatest ever when you consider his record in America and the longevity of his brilliant racing career (82 wins and a 1.57.6 race win at 12 years old in America). He was slaughtered by ridiculous handicaps in big races, notably the Interdominions where he had to start from 36 yards behind on saucer 3 furlong tracks like Wayville and the Melbourne showgrounds.
    In the 1957 Interdominion at Gloucester Park, Frank handled the horse for trainer Jack Litten and won 2 heats before running 4th (from 36 yards) behind Radiant Venture, Robert Sheen (Bernie Cushing) and Precipitation. Interestingly, New Zealander  Freeman Holmes handled Magic Flute for Fred Snr who drove the stables other nomination Jack Oro.
    In 1958 at Wayville, Frank drove False Step for Jack Litten to a heat win and an 8th in the final before renewing his connection with Caduceus in the 1959 series in Melbourne as both his trainer and driver. He won all 3 of his heats from 36 yards, including a stunning win on opening night rating 2.7.6 over the 11 furlong journey.........from 36 behind thanks very much!!!! He only managed to run 5th in the final behind Young Pedro.
    Of course, in 1960, he famously won the Inters at Harold Park from 36 behind in front of over 50,600 patrons who paid 15 shillings entry....well, most of them did, others knocked down a fence, climbed lamp poles, stood on car rooves..... surviving a protest from Apmat and rating an amazing 2.5.2 over the 13 and a half furlongs.

A few more details    Caduceus was just 14.2 hands (carried the moniker of "The Mighty Atom" in the press) and pigeon toed, thus his stable nick name of "Charlie" (Chaplin). Foaled in 1950, didnt race in Australia until a 5YO....won the Lord Mayors Cup at HP in 1956, 1957, Summer Cup in 1959...all from 36 yards behind. Contested 6 Interdominion Series and when he won at Harold Park in 1960 as a 9 year old off a 36 yard handicap for Jack Litten, 50,346 patrons squeezed into the venue...it must have been bursting at the seams. The purse of 15.500 pounds was the same as that years Melbourne Cup!!! He beat Apmat but had to survive a protest. After this, he went to America and Canada, thus racing in 4 different countries and amassing a huge $320k in prizemoney.He returned to stand at stud in NZ in 1962 being by the sire of the day, the amazing U Scott....he was injured in his paddock and as a precaution, a vet was called but he had an allergic reaction to an injection and dies...he sired a couple of quality horses...Royal Society and Born To Trot.

In America, he raced against and beat top liners like Adios Butler and co. By any assessment, Caduceus was a mighty good horse.

edited January 2016
    Riders comparison of My Hard Copy with Elteei fired up the research instinct....I don't think any where near as good as MHC but his record is very substantial nonetheless. 158 starts, 30 wins, 39 places and $254k in stakes. Best performances that I could find are 1984: 2nd to Lincoln Storm in the 4YO Championship (Syrian Prince 3rd). 1985: 3rd to Lincoln Storm and Keval in the Fremantle Cup, 3rd to Morgan James and Syrian Prince in the Tatts Cup, 3rd to Gosh at MV in a heat of the Inters (5th in the Consolation). 1986: Won the BOTRA Cup ( beating Alladins Lamp and Scott Glen), won the Memorial Day Stakes (beating Lumber Leon and Our Pow Wow). 1987: 3rd in the August Cup (behind Lincoln Storm and Rosso Cute). 1988: 2nd to Morgan James in the August Cup, 2nd to Morgan James in the BOTRA Cup (Mystery Cargo 3rd) and 2nd to Village Kid in the WA Pacing Cup (Morgan James 3rd).
    Well bred by Gary Rowan and his sister Matts Claim was the super star broodmare dam of Chandon, Salinger, Bollinger etc.  Anyway, it's kept the thread alive albeit on life support.

Ridersonthestorm33, VillageKid likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,278 posts
    edited January 2016
    Elteei was a very nice free for all pacer for Chris Lewis back in the 80s but I reckon MHC might have his measure and some.

One of the good things about looking up a horse is that it often reminds you of another. When checking on Elteei, up pops that great Bunbury based stayer Mystery Cargo. Now he could stick that horse!!!
    Remember when the Easter Cup was 3300m....he won it beating Palimar and Gusty Way in 1988, same year he won the 2940m Bunbury Cup (Just Silvertime and Gusty Way), same year he added his second Winter Cup (Governor Guiness and Duanes Magic) to add to his 1986 win over Rite and Morano Magic. Took Lincoln Storm to knock him off in the 1986 Pinjarra Cup and the likes of Morgan James, Village Kid and co to relegate him to placings 1986 and 1988 Stratton Cup, the 1988 BOTRA Cup, 1988 Memorial Day Stakes (behind Chipmos) and the 1988 Media Cup behind Gusty Way. Won 26 races from just 69 starts with (mainly Chris Beckett in the cart) and last won on November 5 1990 at GP for Russell Coates beating Antique Gold and Chipmos before retirement 6 starts later.
    JayJay said:

One of the good things about looking up a horse is that it often reminds you of another. When checking on Elteei, up pops that great Bunbury based stayer Mystery Cargo. Now he could stick that horse!!!
    Remember when the Easter Cup was 3300m....he won it beating Palimar and Gusty Way in 1988, same year he won the 2940m Bunbury Cup (Just Silvertime and Gusty Way), same year he added his second Winter Cup (Governor Guiness and Duanes Magic) to add to his 1986 win over Rite and Morano Magic. Took Lincoln Storm to knock him off in the 1986 Pinjarra Cup and the likes of Morgan James, Village Kid and co to relegate him to placings 1986 and 1988 Stratton Cup, the 1988 BOTRA Cup, 1988 Memorial Day Stakes (behind Chipmos) and the 1988 Media Cup behind Gusty Way. Won 26 races from just 69 starts with (mainly Chris Beckett in the cart) and last won on November 5 1990 at GP for Russell Coates beating Antique Gold and Chipmos before retirement 6 starts later.

Gee some of those you have named there JJ bring back some good memories of great days at GP & RR in the 80's. Mystery Cargo had a far better record than i thought was a nice type.
    JJ got one here for you , don't think been mentioned before...not sure if it was 80s or early 90s....the horse in question Gold Rowan...was fairly handy I think without being a worldbeater ,recall being on and can see Chris Lewis in the spider wearing the familiar red and white colours of Roy Annear. Mid to late 80s possibly ??

VillageKid likes this post.

Good call Riders....Gold Rowan suffered by continually being compared to his very illustrious full brother, the wonderful Garry's Advice who won over 43 races including his first 19 (or something similar...he was a superstar juvenile). However, Gold Rowan, only a plain little horse, was certainly no slouch. Trained by Jack Retzlaff when he was the private trainer for the Annears, he was variously driven by Jack, Chris Lewis, Phil Coulson and Alan Woodworth. Highlights of his career include running 3rd in the 1980 WA Derby to San Simeon and Gammalite. In 1981 as a 4 year old, he ran 3rd to Iron Ore and Cape Horn in the then 3/4 and 5 Year old championship and won a heat of the Golden Nugget for Alan Woodworth (other heat winners that night were Justin Hanover for Tony Peacock and the Wilf Powell trained pair of Yo Yo Time and Pride Of Kentucky for Phil Coulson.) Woody copped 6 weeks for his drive in the heat and Jack Retzlaff drove him (unplaced) in the final. By 1982, he had gone through the classes to open company winning a FFA at Richmond Raceway, ran 2nd to Skiptar (Neeron Boy 3rd) in the Tatts Cup and was 3rd in the Brennan Cup behind Melfield Tyros and Nandina Skipper. He also won a heat of the Pacing Cup that year, a feat he repeated in 1987. In 1983, he again ran 2nd in the Tatts Cup behind Sparkling Chasseur (Indian Chant 3rd) and was 3rd in the Stratton Cup behind Black Irish and Sinn Fein. In 1984, he won another FFA at Richmond and Chris Lewis handled him when he won the 3200m Easter Cup from the stand, defeating Captain Elect and Rhetts Law. So yes, a bit better than handy and a plus $100k earner back when stakes were much lower.

edited January 2016
    How's the era Chris Lewis has gone through. He must write a book! All those races he has been a constant denominator. What's more he's still at the top. Not too much controversy with him either, consistently drives winners, as well as GP and Richmond Raceway he has also travelled far and wide to country meetings to do so.

cisco, jum, VillageKid, Offthebit likes this post.

Is Wilf Powell still going JJ ? He drove his horses occasionally too didn't he ? Recall slipping into that Pride Of Kentucky once or twice! Remember Yo Yo Time too.

Sparkling Chasseur was a handy pacer for John Del Basso from memory.
    Dennis Jeffees for Sparkling Chasseur VK. Just going back to Mystery Cargo, when he won his 2nd Winter Cup, he was trained by Lindsay Froyland and driven by Garry Lilleyman. Surprised me as I always though he was with W.F (Big Bill) Prentice and with Chris Beckett on board until right at the end when Russell Coates had him.

Riders, to be honest I don't know the answer about Wilf Powell. I haven't heard to the contrary but he would be very elderly if he is. I know he had heart problems going way, way back and stopped training, deferring to daughter Jane. Top man with a horse and a delightful fellow, we used to always stable next to him at GP as they did in those days when you used the same freelance driver ...saved Phil from running around everywhere. Yes, Pride of Kentucky, Yo Yo Time, Trial Flight, My Hanover Nugent, Our Petite Hanover, Garry John, Capridau, Nerida Frost, Peter Anstey and many others. Jane had a handy mare called Blazon which PC also drove. A long list of quality types. Good trainer W.A Powell, will endeavour to find out.

Riders, I have put a message in your message box.
    Wilf still with us..add Copper Charm (he drove it to win a Northam Cup), the very flashy chestnut  Flagstaff (who he took over East and won 2 races at Globe Derby Park) 12 wins, Slick Rate 9 wins including a Harvey Cup, Syrian Prince 14 wins (originally trained by Coulson and Ben Geerson), Fiery Black 9 wins ...Peter Anstey - he only trained for 4 of it's 19 wins (previously with Tricky) but of those 4, one was a Winter Cup and another was an August Cup. Wilf drove very little and almost exclusively used Phil when he was available.
    Sadly, Mick Taylor left the building this week...of course, father to Frances, first woman to train a Pacing Cup winner with Sharach driven by Lou Austin, father of Jimmy and brother to very prominent past trainer driver Graham.

I think Sharach like Binshaw lived happily well into his 30s.
    Hopefully, he deserved to...was a great warrior....195 starts for 29 wins 38 placings. Won many races with Ben Geerson...don't think the Taylors got him until he was about 8 years old. It's a great quiz night trap..."Name the horse that Lou Austin drove to win the 1982 WA Pacing Cup"...invariably you get San Simeon..Of course, San Simeon won it in 1981. When Sharach won the 1980 August Cup,he  was driven by Graham Taylor.

JJ I was looking through the previous winners of The Lord Mayors Cup and one came up who was pretty handy back in the mid 80s was Gap Road, not sure we have mentioned him in passing but from memory he won some nice races also his stablemate from that same time period Rite is another.
    No, I haven't done Gap Road or Rite in detail...flat chat at moment but will get to them ....nether champions but both pretty useful, off the top of my head, Gap Road the better of the two.

One thing I can recall about Rite and Gap Road apart from them being more than above average is that the great Fred Kersley could get them both up at a each way price. Bill Kersley I think steered Rite or Gap Road home to victory at good odds at least one night. I'm sure they ran against each other several times. Good money spinners they were.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,902 posts

One thing I can recall about Rite and Gap Road apart from them being more than above average is that the great Fred Kersley could get them both up at a each way price. Bill Kersley I think steered Rite or Gap Road home to victory at good odds at least one night. I'm sure they ran against each other several times. Good money spinners they were.

I can remember when FRK had those horses ( he used to buy them from SA - thats where those 2 were from - SA actually had decent horses then)

When he had Rite - FRK one Friday night won 5 of the heats of the WA Pacing Cup preludes - where 1st  and 2nd qualified

He didnt win the final though ( even with 5 runners ) Fred didnt have much luck in finals - sometimes Jimmy The Jet used to push him out of the way - before he was supposed to be pushed out !!! . Fred said some very kind words when Schrader passed away - but if you watched  races from that bird cage corner into the back straight like i used to - their was often  heated words exchanged between those 2 after big races .