G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 37 Non Members

Top 50 Western Australian Pacers of All Time

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Les was black with pink diamonds, our colours were black with pink spots (and sleeves).  Bob was green with gold spots. Magic Embrace was very durable for George Sortras - most consistent racing in fast class company - beat Kiwi Cloud and Ann'a Ann in a Booth Memorial, 3rd to Virgil Qheen in a Brennan Cup, 2nd to windy Jean in a Stratton Cup, 2nd to Thor Rise in an Easter Cup, 2nd to windy jean in a Lord Mayors Cup and 2 nd to Anna's Ann in a Navy Cup. I think he was used sparingly as a sire and may have thrown a winner of two. Very old colonial breeding by Magic Mint out of a Royal Shadow mare. Was only a little horse, chestnut from memory with white harness.
    Channel 7 also used to do the broadcasts and we would belt home from the stables to watch the replays on Sportsworld the next morning.

VillageKid likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Any time I see Red and Black - Jim Schrader. My best collect on a pacer as a young bloke was on a horse called Paura Del Mare was just a horse driven by Lyle Lindau. Can anybody remember here when they did an experiment at Gloucester Park of not doing the barrier draw until about 5 minutes before the race ? All horses of course had a number but a horse carrying 1 could draw 8 or 12 or whatever. It was to add more interest , or just make it more intriguing I think , but can't quite remember. I think betting opened until the draw , not sure from memory if it reopened after the draw. Don't think it did .Maybe wrong . Things I backed always drew badly , had a shocking record on those races. They only did it for a month or two I think. Just can't imagine that now going into a race at GP and betting without knowing where your horse is going to start from.
    And of course they just did it on selected races not all races.
    Can't recall that draw situation - sounds completely bizarre. Do remember Paura Del Mare - wasn't a star but vaguely recall. Yep, Jimmy's Red and Black and he had other colours for the Smith/Sweetapple horses I think...and there were plenty of em. I recall the legendary clashes between Johnny Toledo and Typhson as Jimmy and Lyle (Gold/purple maltese cross) would try and out drive each other. Jimy had a special cart made that was 2 inches narrower than normal so he could squeeze through gaps - wouldn't have been any good for old rocker, he would have tipped it over with the narrower wheel base.

I'm sure I wasn't dreaming about the draw , dying for somebody to remember , another horse I remember was Davey Be Good , could be a bit weak, but can recall Phil Coulson firing him out and leading all the way a few times. Virgil Queen was for the rifleman Les Marriott ? Kevin Batt was another good memory growing up. Have a recollection of him driving 5 or 6 winners one night.
    Eewwwww Davey Be Good .....I knew a lot about him. An astonishingly good looking chestnut who would work like Phar Lap and race like he needed to visit Christian Barnard. Dreadfully weak animal but Phil did manage to get him home a few times. Phil was driving for us at the time and he wasn't his favorite horse, let me assure you. Do you remember Golden Time? And Yes, Kevin came over from SA and had a very dominant period. Under rated driver. Virgil Queen was a very good mare with an oustanding record, about the same time as he had a good young horse called Full Draw. I think old Les is still playing around with a horse or two, or at least, he was until recently.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    HI Riders I was just throwing up some very good pacers names from my childhood when I threw up Elteei mate. He was a very good fast class horse who raced in a few Pacing Cup finals from memory but he wouldnt make my Top 50. Elteei actually inadvertently cost Chris Lewis the 85 Pacing Cup win when he elected to drive him over Village Kid who was then driven to perfection by Phil Coulson in the final to defeat the odds on pop Preux Chevalier.
    JJ I am also currently reading George after just finishing John Hunt's book The View From The Clouds another fantastic read for those who love their WA pacing/racing.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

Pardon Me Boys could have been anything. Unbeaten until he was 'boned'. Long story...

Do tell?
    He was a sensational juvenile.
    Remember being at the trots and thinking gee Elteei is a very good horse.He was a lot stronger than I thought. JJ yes good old Davey one night I'm sure Coulson led all the way on him at about 12/1 after being a beaten favourite when leading the week before. He wasn't popular with the punters Davey. Golden Time yes vaguely wasn't Duffys ? Loved seeing Koala King come over from NSW he had a electrifying sprint on him.
    Loving this walk down Memory Lane. Actually VK, Chris had to drive Elteei ,,,,it was back in the days when you had to drive your own stable nomination and Phil got asked by Bill (they were at school together) and he as you say, drove one of the best ever races you will ever witness. He only drove Willie on one other occasion to win the 50k Harold Park Cup - 2 out of 2 reads ok but willie was a champ. I have View from The Clouds next up - currently dealing with George and Judy's second attempt at marital bliss. Bloody George, geezus he could infuriate you but he was a great character and kinda lovable in a perverse sort of way haha. Yes, Riders, you are spot on with Davey - his form often read 101010, first or last, an infuriating animal. And the night he was at 12/1, he got a couple of sharp ones on the rump up the straight not because he was in danger but to remind him of what a cat he was the previous run. The punters weren't the only ones he wasn't popular with. Several good stable commisions went AWOL courtesy of Davey Be Bad.
    Golden Time was one of Phils - well, sort of - but that's another story for another day that involves Teddy Breeze and may involve statute of limitations.
    Pardon Me Boys never raced much after going east to contest the NSW and Vic derby's. Did okay as well, won heats of each I think and a couple of 4ths in each final...Another Barts year, maybe 92 or 93 but he disappeared after that. Won a heap of Juvenile races at GP.

Ridersonthestorm33, VillageKid likes this post.

Just checked on Pardon Me Boys ...won Champagne Stakes, Sires Produce and Golden Slipper in 1987, must have done the Eastern States trip in 1988. Last tried with him (M.Reed) in 1992 but no good. Must be a story behind him...injury?

• Piston_BrokePiston_Broke    2,047 posts
    edited January 2015
    My Dad and Pop grew up with Les in the freo era, Les was quite happy to back his horses for a ticky, a class gentleman.
    Royal Force was one of my favourites, had a turn of foot rarely seen. Little black pony he was

JayJay, Ridersonthestorm33, VillageKid likes this post.

Has Pacific Ruler been mentioned, he was San Simeon's continual bridesmaid!
    Can remember Indian Chant winning a reasonable race at Gloucester Park when he was about 13 or 14. No claimers in those days. Fred Kersley trainer driver . He was a great horse. What about Gap Road any memories their boys ?

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Riders you were not dreaming about the barrier draw situation. The bookies opened a market as normal before the barrier draw and then suspended betting while the barrier draw took place and then opened another market, but not sure what the TAB did. I think the idea was almost an integrity issue to stop pre race organisation that has always been a part of the industry but it did not work and was adverse to turnover. Interesting days.

Pacific Ruler and San Simeon, both by Captain Hook. I remember well, we bred perhaps the slowest most useless Captain Hook colt ever conceived - first foal of a fast class, classic winning mare and it couldn't get out of its own way. Phil Coulson did one lap on it at Richmond one morning and said get rid of it ...now....not tomorrow...now! We did.
    Pacific Ruler was more than handy ...2nd in the 2yo Sires to San Simeon, 2nd to San Simeon in 2yo Triple Crown, 2nd to Skiptar in the 3yo Triple Crown but won the 3yo WA Sires Produce and the Western Gateway Pace. Won the Tatts Cup in 1981 and 3rd to Black Irish and Gap Road in the 1984 FTC Members Mile and 3rd to Via Vista in the 1981 New Year Handicap...thats its feature race record.
    Indian Chant, foaled in 1973  raced successfully for years. Nothing much happened until he was about 7 and he must have hated the sight of Pallaton. Ran 2nd to him in the 1980 Bunbury Cup, the 1980 Pinjarra Cup and the 1980 Easter Cup. Ran 2nd to Hands Turn 1980 Media Cup and then he won the Easter Cup in 1981 beating Mint Condition and Burrowsand in 1982, he won 2 heats of the Interdominion beating Skiptar and Burrows, and Garry John and Via Vista respectively. In 1983 (now a 10 year old), he ran 3rd in The Tatts Cup  (behind Sparkling Chasseur and Gold Rowan), 3rd in the BOTRA Cup (behind Bonnvale Boy and Satinover) and 3rd in the Easter Cup (behind Euraman and Sinn Fein)
    Gap Road has a superior record to both - won the 1983 Lord Mayors Cup (over Black Irish and Melfield Tyros - the Les Poyser horse I couldn't think of the other night)and  the 1983 Howard Porter Memorial (over Casey Otara and Sinn Fein).
    1984, he won an Inters Heat (beating Thor Lobell and Out For Glory) ran 3rd in an Inters Heat (behind Mai Mai and Bundanoon) and won the Inters Consolation. Also won the 1984 Mt Eden Mile (1.57.4) beating Via Vista and Gay Boyden, won the 1984 Stratton Cup (beating Acron Blue and Rite), ran  2nd to Black Irish in the FTC Members Mile and 2nd to Preux Chevalier in the FTC Members Mile (They ran it twice that year after changing the date). In 1985, he won the Pinjarra Cup (Go Go San Marco and The El Vista) and in 1986 was 3rd in the Stratton Cup behind Morgan James and Mystery Cargo) to round out his feature race record.
    Very good animals, all 3, but top 50 Material....not really but its a personal view like everything in this world. When this thread was in full swing ages ago, it was a terrific and almost exclusively positive response with no name calling or any nastiness. Oh for the good old days.

Thanks Chariots best news I've had all day. I've talked to a couple of punters from that era and they have no memory of it. When JJ said he had no recollection of it too , I thought well i have lost the plot. Yes it was an integrity issue that's right. I think they just did it one or two races on the Friday night at GP. I think the Tab closed betting just before the draw. I can't remember whether they reopened or not. What I can't work out is why did I bet before the draw ??? I think it was just trying to get value but I recollect being on a lot of horses that drew 7, 8 or 9 . Can't remember if it was 10 across the front then or a 9/3 draw. Of course a lot of bookies in those days. We all waited eagerly for the draw.
    Burrows was underrated. Good horse for Colin Joss. Any memories of Velvet Prince a great third in an Interdominion . Worked hard and held on well. Kersley again. How many good ones did he have ??!!!

The barrier redraw deal has me stumped. Any idea what year? 1985 I was overseas for a big chunk ...maybe then....or maybe my dementia is further advanced than I thought. Am not doubting it happened but I just can't recall anything about it.
    Yes, Fred had plenty of top horses but although Velvet Prince turned in some top runs, he was a handful and a bit of a non winner. Owned by a Geraldton bloke, Lloyd Hipper from memory. He never won a major feature race - 2nd to Kiwi Cloud in a Mount Eden Mile, second to Nixon Adios (Fred's as well) in the Christmas Gift, 2nd to Royal Gaze in the 1978 Inters Heat and 3rd to Markovina in the final. Link below for the Video of Markovina who may have been lucky not to lose on protest and Velvet Prince races very ungenerously the whole journey in the breeze. Was a tough run. Difficult horse.

More amazing names there JJ I remember them all as a kid. 
    Indian Chant was a favourite of mine he raced and won as a 13yo from memory.
    Rite & Gap Road like Indian Chant also seemed to be around the fast class ranks for years and still winning into their twilight years for FRK.
    Burrows was a very good mare for Colin Joss who later had Palimar another good performer & Tarport Sox a Pacing Cup winner.
    Go Go San Marco I remember winning a lot of races in the mid 80's.
    Other lesser known favs of mine from back then were the likes of Sinn Fein for GDH, Mr Moriarty, Trial Flight, Aladdin's Lamp, Skiptar, Snakes & Ladders etc
  • MuldoonMuldoon    317 posts
    Just catching up with this topic, if I remember clearly Rhetts Law Interdomion was run on the saucer GP and a front runners paradise. Ended his career in claiming races
    Yes VK, household names weren't they. The longevity of the Standard Bred is a key to their status. Just doesn't seem to be the depth these days....Remember, the "golden days" all took place whilst there was a thriving export market to the US taking many quality types and still the standards held up. Not across that these days but there were a lot more quality David Hercules types that just kept coming back year after year and the horses were also accessible to the public with good trotting writers reporting in a much more personal way with photos from trackwork, family members at stables, VK at Make a Wish functions etc. Who can forget the night Mt Eden was in an ordinary trial night at GP and the joint was packed and the crowd cheering...in a bloody trial....amazing.

Yes, it was before the track was extended to its current size of 804.5m. He wasn't a particularly strong animal Rhetts Law - owned by Russell Roberts who had another handy type called Pure Steel - but he raced well, qualified and beat those that turned up, including the mighty Popular Alm who I suspect was not at his best. Check out the crowd in the replay - these days the only things on the top bend and back straight are seagulls.

Can remember them running 14 from the stand for a while. That was a sight. I'm trying to the place the name of a very good horse they use to bring up from Albany... It was outstanding... On the tip of my tongue. Maybe 15 or 20 years ago. Won quite a few in a row in Albany then measured right up to them at GP. Can remember going to GP on my own as a teenager the only trouble was that to get in you had to be accompanied by an adult ( still do probably ) I would have to time my run at the gate near the back straight and as a adult was walking through , I would mumble something like 'thanks dad' or 'mum' and smile at them as if I was with them ... It worked about 90% of the time but occasionally was told off by gate attendant or by an adult who would look at me and say 'who the hell are you' It was nerve wracking because getting into Gloucester Park was not life or death it was much more important than that. Even jumping the fence or trying to get on track as early as possible were other things I at least thought about or tried. But the memory of trying to get through the gate near the back straight with strangers is something I will never forget. Did it for weeks after weeks , I am guessing that rule is still in today under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.Not sure if that gate is still there had a big car park right next to it. Walked in and then nearly at the birdcage. The atmosphere of walking through that gate especially on a warm summer evening at carnival time was electric.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,719 posts
    JayJay do you have/know of any links to watch any black irish replays? I can remember watching a lot of Willy's replays down at Bill's but don't know if I every really sore anything of Irish.

Riders, I went back a bit further and thought of Smithdale Lad. There was a race named after him at Wagin recently and he may have been more Great Southern than Albany.
    Reg actually improved Hands Turn on Les Poyser if I remember correctly, not an easy thing to do.

Just can't place if it was Smithdale Lad or Sir Thomas remembered at the time well Albany form is not going to measure up to city form but this horse did very well. What about the Country Derby at Richmond Raceway , drivers and horses from all over the state, quite often a bad fall with everybody wanting to win it. A lot seemed to gallop too. Denney rings a bell with the Country Derby. He always had horses in it. Bill Kersley was a good driver too in those days. Can often remember him winning on the longer priced stablemate.

Good memory of Richmond Raceway was going to pay to get in one night with every punting cent accounted for , not a spare dollar, and just as I was about to pay , a bloke tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I would like a free ticket his name was Mike Reed. Mark and Stephen would have been toddlers then. From that day on that bloke couldn't do a thing wrong in my eyes. He was a very underrated driver too. Good trainer. Smart driver.

paraletic, VillageKid likes this post.

Riders, Sir Thomas could be the one - won 11 in a row at Albany at his first 11 starts for Colin Reeves. Came up to Perth and won a few but petered out. Albany was a very low quality of horse in those days, non TAB if I recall. Took an old broken down Bylaw One down one Christmas, stayed for 4 weeks and picked up 3 wins....he was about 9 and had all manner of leg problems but loved the beach life and literally grew a leg. We used to come home via the Williams Cup Meeting and old Bylaw ran 2nd beaten a lip with Warrick Froyland driving him.
    Smithdale Lad was a far more substantial horse, both in performance and size, having Wrack Again as his brood mare sire. Came from Katanning, either the Spurr of Bielby family (can't recall which) but ended up at Kersleys and won through to a tight mark Contested the 1984 Interdominion with heat placings (behind Bundanoon and Gammalite), placed in the consolation that year.
    RJ Denney was a very astute horseman and I would agree that he got Hands Turn up and about. Boanning Boy and Common Law won Country Derbys, Woodland Bells going way back won an Oaks, Hooks Pride won a 4yo Classic and Classic Prince won a Memorial Day Cup among many other races.

The link below has Black Irish running 2nd ...along with Smithdale Lad and Gap Road (Fremantle Cup won by Gammalite) but I know of no other Black Irish Videos but someone else is probably better at Video search than me.