G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

1 Members & 34 Non Members

Perth Racing announce Belmont grandstand to be demolished

West Australian Racing

Comments

• TheodorTheodor    199 posts
    Squash going as well as tennis. There is a health club / gym being built within the new facility. That is being designed by GRDs people but will be of a similar standard to Next Gen at Kings Park. Next Gen has squash courts that are very popular.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts

more people kark it on the squash court than any other sport....fact.

i do not know one person who plays it. do you, tivers?

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    There are less than 20 Squash courts in the metropolitan area of Perth. Whereas there are more than that in Clubs alone playing Tennis. Of course I can't be sure about Squash, as I don't know anyone that plays in Perth, and it never gets airtime on television. Tennis in Australia on the other hand, is home to global attention over the next fortnight with one of only four grand slams played in the World. Not even Golf can make that claim. Of course I know a lot of people involved in Junior Tennis with hundreds of kids registered as competition players and my opinion may be biased as my family is involved.

So I hope that Perth Racing have not been influenced by a minority. Pity you were not building an indoor Tennis facility, Perth needs one on hot and rainy days.

thefalcon likes this post.

• bradybrady    1,452 posts

more people kark it on the squash court than any other sport....fact.

i do not know one person who plays it. do you, tivers?

More die on a racetrack then Squash

TheFunkster likes this post.

Hundreds of kids play Squash each week there are over 17 thriving clubs in the Metro area
    The Australian Masters Squash Championships will be held in Perth in 2015 over 800 competitors
    From around Australia will be here.
    The courts will create income also the gymnasium think it's a great idea .
    It will help increase membership to the club .

Carlosa likes this post.

TheFunkster dislikes this post.

brady said:

Hundreds of kids play Squash each week there are over 17 thriving clubs in the Metro area
    The Australian Masters Squash Championships will be held in Perth in 2015 over 800 competitors
    From around Australia will be here.
    The courts will create income also the gymnasium think it's a great idea .
    It will help increase membership to the club .

Well, there you go.
  • TheFunksterTheFunkster    3,840 posts
    Only 100's play - not 10's of thousands....
    I drove past Hilton Squash Centre the other day. Is now a yoga centre
    my local one closed years ago..its now a thai restaurant.
    This is not about Squash bashing, I'm sure it is a fun sport to play, but what business is it of Perth Racing ? They should only be concerned with supplying core services to the Racing Industry. By allowing a corporate revenue to come in via hosting events and trade shows etc is a smart business plan, but do your homework.  A gymnasium is just not required, they are a passing fad and most seemingly have a life of five years and nobody is that interested after that. So many of them went broke outside of the boom.

brady likes this post.

• LeglessLegless    5,108 posts
    I think it depends on the demographic of the future residents - If they are the 25-35 yr old D.I.N.K set, then a gym will thrive.
    After all, it will be THE place to be seen ;))

you do not play squash to get fit...you get fit to play squash.

an old saying..

brady likes this post.

• PuntingTragicPuntingTragic    1,141 posts
    notapunta said:

If 4x members get to go to the committee room the members on this site should take a pleb into the members area when the +1 is not claimed. Might even convert some of us...

Would u like to be my guest one sat mate only to pleased let me know when your free no Bintang singlet tho ok he he

notapunta likes this post.

• LuckyLongshotsLuckyLongshots    4,270 posts
    Theodor said:

The infrastructure costs for lights is circa $7m and these will be lights that can be reversed onto the in-field for non race events. Unless we can get access to Singapore, South African, French or UK punting pools we will lose money by night racing. That is the challenge. I believe everyone likes the concept of night racing, we just need to ensure it is in the interests of racing in WA.

At first I thought reverse lights would be great for festival events etc - then I remembered all the new residents, who wouldn't want concert/festival events to be held in the middle of Belmont Park!

So what sort of events would be held in the middle of the racetrack, can't see 4000 or so new residents wanting any type of events held there (outside the racing, which they would've signed up for)

thefalcon likes this post.

Only 100's play - not 10's of thousands....
    I drove past Hilton Squash Centre the other day. Is now a yoga centre

Hilton Squash centre is not closed it's thriving one of the busiest
    Centres going you have NFI
    And yes I do play
  • TheFunksterTheFunkster    3,840 posts
    They had big advertising for bikram yoga splashed accross the wall yesterday
  • AndrewCarterAndrewCarter    2,171 posts
    Who can attend the members liaison meeting I have some very pointed questions I would dearly love to ask about various other matters.
    members only, andrew.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts

members only, andrew.

is that why the call them members information sessions???
    :-B
  • RadmanRadman    1,992 posts
    I assumed it was because you had to have your hand on your member??

Piston_Broke likes this post.

No surprise, wouldn't want the public or someone within the non racing media holding them to account for their actions now would we.
  • DaleDale    1,346 posts

Theodor said:

So what sort of events would be held in the middle of the racetrack, can't see 4000 or so new residents wanting any type of events held there (outside the racing, which they would've signed up for)

rosehill have the largest caravan and camping expo. why can we have australia's largest caravan without camping expo...
  • MandyMandy    4 posts
    Andrew, are you really as simple as you sound. Members Inforrmation Session, surely that is not hard to understand.
    Hardly simple, I was just checking, naturally you wouldn't want those pesky public or anyone  in the independent media to know the truth about the current situation or asking probing questions about various matters that have occurred over the years.
    So Mandy seeing this is your first post on on any subject I was just wondering who you work for RWWA or the Turf Club?

Dale likes this post.

Andrew not only would your questions not be answered, your dissent would see you removed from the room, and perhaps the membership of the club. Then you would be labelled a trouble maker, and your connection to the Racing Industry would be actively tarnished by people whispering behind your back that you were a trouble maker.

In extreme cases legal action would be taken against you, it matters little if it has almost no chance of success, as they are spending the members money when they fight you, knowing that your resources are most likely limited to sustain a longterm stoush.

I'm not saying this could happen, but it is highly likely that it could.

RIO, AndrewCarter likes this post.

• Thoroly_BreadThoroly_Bread    2,311 posts
    Welcome back Andrew.
  • Thoroly_BreadThoroly_Bread    2,311 posts
    And hello Mandy

RIO likes this post.

• Piston_BrokePiston_Broke    2,047 posts

No surprise, wouldn't want the public or someone within the non racing media holding them to account for their actions now would we.

Andrew surely that is history once you accepted payment, that case however unfair it was is well and truly over
  • PuntingTragicPuntingTragic    1,141 posts

Hardly simple, I was just checking, naturally you wouldn't want those pesky public or anyone  in the independent media to know the truth about the current situation or asking probing questions about various matters that have occurred over the years.
    </blockquote

Stump up to be a member champ come along an ask what you like

Pretty simple No ?

• Hmmm not that simple

Carlosa likes this post.

This discussion has been closed.