Yarradale Stud Yearling Sale on Sunday

Breeding
DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,675 posts
edited May 2015 Breeding
Anyone going ?

Comments

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    no.....2k the lot????? haven't even looked

primemover, theketaminekid dislikes this post.

• SPUDLEYSPUDLEY    1,584 posts
    With the weather like it is I will not be going it could be a very bleak day predicting the weather is a tough gig. :-B
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    why would anyone buy from here, they race the best ones themselves, sell the next best to their mates, take the third stringers along to MM and then offer the rest up for 20k minimum at this auction!!!!!!!

someone told me they have dropped the offer of retaining 50%, to retaining 25% by prior arrangement, but left the minimum bid as 20k......is that right?
  • darkshinesdarkshines    2,837 posts
    Dissapointing post that. None of those first few accusations are correct
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    as a buyer of yearlings that is how it appears to me...and that is disappointing.

has the retention % changed?? and the conditions???

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,675 posts
    I probably should have said in my first post that I am actually going. I have bought from Ron Sayers before, breeding stock from memory, but I don't really find that his sale differs that much from the positives and pitfalls of anyone else.

I don't regard $20,000 as a lot for a reasonable horse, and if I see something that I like tomorrow I would be likely to be bidding.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Always amazes me how so many of their day two stock go for 20k......not suggesting anything untoward, but from a casual observers point of view you regularly see bidders drop off as soon as the bidding gets to 20k!
  • The_BullThe_Bull    918 posts
    edited May 2015
    Yes Rio, you are right. The offer to retain is now 25% according to the catalogue. And the minimum opening bid is indeed $20k. Far to much for some of these with the market the way it is. I don't think Ron cares though, someone will lease the ones that aren't sold, and then he gets 30% without paying a bill. For what its worth I really like the look of Lot 18 (Gio Ponti x Bella Costa) and Lot 28 (War Chant x Heather). Would love to go have a look, but we have 3 yearlings sitting in the paddock as yet unbroken, and I would suffer the wrath of the cook if I came home with another....

RIO, paraletic likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    thanks Bull, couldn't find it anywhere on the site...i'm not anti Yarrahdale, but this year they highlight how breeders are not meeting the market....even dropping the opening bid to 15k may have got a bit more interest. And what happens at the auctions is way too obvious when most buyers know these sales are coming up...

Anyway good luck to them, hope they sell a few and get people to take on the rest.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,986 posts
    be a bloody miserable day at yarradale.....probably in more ways than one...

SPUDLEY likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    any one know how many sold?
  • SPUDLEYSPUDLEY    1,584 posts
    Sometimes Hughie the weatherman can be cruel to people trying to organise events but we do need the rain.

RIO, thefalcon likes this post.

Today Ron Sayer's of Yarradale Stud in Gidgegannup, hosted his annual yearling sale, with 40 lots on offer. There were some very hardy souls in attendance during huge downpours and moderate winds.

I was fortunate enough to purchase Lot 35 for $37,000, a chestnut filly by Scandal Keeper (Danzig) out of a 10 time winning and stakes placed Marooned mare, Miss Castaway. This filly is the half sister to Flying Zoe winner of two as a two year old, and over $117,000. She ran third in town yesterday, and is expected to mature into a nice mare in coming months.

This filly has some scope, size and a deep chest and under the watchful eye of Ascot Trainer Colin Webster, will be given every chance in the New Year as we head into the peak of the 2YO season.

I will have better photo's in coming weeks, but here is one I snapped with the mobile.
    Lot 35 a.jpg
    1224 x 1632 - 472K

RIO, Legless, silky likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    good price Damo, did you record how many sold, passed in and sale topper???? Cant find it on their website any where
    edited May 2015
    As you know, the sale has a minimum of $20,000 before a yearling can be sold and bearing that in mind 22 lots were passed in through the ring but at least five of those maybe more, were sold post sale.

The sale topping yearling a Scandal Keeper Colt, went to Simon Miller as Lot 15 for $57,500. Roy Rogers went to $40,000 to secure Lot 17 a Scandal Keeper Filly, and I purchased Lot 35, a Scandal Keeper filly for $37,000. Lindsay Smith purchased two lots, 28 & 31, for $34,000 & $20,000 respectively. Vern Brockman purchased Lot 30 for $31,000, Gavin Foster Lot 8 for the same, and Graham Ballantyne purchased Lot 27 for $31,000 also. Neville Parnham bought Lot 2 for $30,000. Colin Webster also purchased two lots, Lot 6 for $20,000 and Lot 23 for $23,000.

The Red Kite Charity yearling, which was Lot 22, sold for $25,000.

In all, 17 Lots sold through the ring, with some additional being finalised post sale. I had the sale figures grossing around $600,000 when it was all tolled up.

RIO likes this post.

Can I also add, that Ron Sayers donates all the proceeds from the food concessions and drink sales to the Red Kite Charity. The food was fresh, my egg and bacon burger cooked in front of me. His facilities still look fantastic and his courtesy paid to everyone who came along made them feel welcome.

His 100% donation of the proceeds of Lot 22 to the charity again this year like last, met with a round of applause.

It was a pity about the weather. But I would love to see these well organised farm gate sales and auctions prosper in WA, as I'm beginning to think that from a commercial standpoint, WA breeding is starting to become irrelevant for the big players and buyers.

[Deleted User] likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    43% clearance rate at an average of about $35k....with a couple more negotiated sales...Sounds like a fair sort of result in the current market
  • Thoroly_BreadThoroly_Bread    2,311 posts
    Nice work Damo, What did the Stratum sell for? It must of had square wheels not to go through the MM sales??
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    $31 as per above list!?!
    Ha-ha thanks Rio!!

RIO likes this post.

The Stratum filly on paper and when I did a breeding analysis, was very much the focus of my attention. But I just couldn't get past her overall size, which was really the only thing about her. She was well conformed and balanced, but she was just too small. I thought it was a very good result for Ron that she made $31,000 and hopefully for her new owner she has a huge heart as a lot of Stratum's do in terms of ability.

I had a good go at Lot 28 as well. He was a very solid Colt by War Chant, out of a mare with 6 to race for 5 winners.

The Stratum was the only one i like out of the lot of them, obviously I didn't view her so can't comment on the size.