G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 23 Non Members

World Cup Qualifiers

Sport

Comments

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Pathetic is why doesn't FIFA stamp it out ?
    Pretty easy to do so now with VAR - instant yellow for simulation.
    Same for (obvious) false claims on fouls etc...........

Thunderstruck likes this post.

• tonytony    2,359 posts
    SBS now showing all group matches.

PAUL, Thunderstruck likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Game needs to be sped up from all the rolling around the floor acting. You can tell if someone is knocked out or had a broken leg, its the only time the game should stop. Or, if you need the trainer to come out with the magic spray, you need to go off and stay off for min 5 mins. Its bullshit, kills the game.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    Ronaldo one of the main culprits... and the idol of many kids (including my son and his friends).

I agree with Para, if you stay down for longer than a rub of the leg... you sit off for the rest of the half before you can come back on... 
    that will stamp it out. 

Ronaldo should have been carded for his dive in the box last night... but laughs and walks off. 
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    and dont even start me on that other clown Pepe... bunch of cheating flogs they are. 
    As I said above - I have no idea why FIFA doesn't act on it.
    They want to push in to USA etc, well what's the biggest knock on the sport in USA (and the likes of Australia etc).
  • SKIDSSKIDS    1,006 posts
    Do people actually watch this crap?

I'd rather watch essendope play the wiggles...and i hate them both more than herpes.

VillageKid likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,671 posts
    Just a lazy 3.2 BILLION on average watched the last two tournaments.
    So YEH there is a bit of interest :-\"
    If only we could score a goal..ffs.Lack of finishing class hurt a lot in the 2nd half.
    Arzani looks a likely future star he needs to start against Peru.

And..no Timmy Cahill as the 2nd sub, wtf Van Marwyk??
  • detonatordetonator    4,357 posts
    edited June 2018

If only we could score a goal..ffs.Lack of finishing class hurt a lot in the 2nd half.
    Arzani looks a likely future star he needs to start against Peru.

And..no Timmy Cahill as the 2nd sub, wtf Van Marwyk??

I was thinking the same thing TS.
    Two goals. Both penalties. Both handballs in the area.
    Aussie soccer fans are falling over themselves how well we are going ???
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    One of the great things about the World Cup...no rule changes!
    An epic get out of jail game by ze Germans =D> A supreme last minute of injury time goal from a free kick may have saved their arses re progressing beyond the group stage.
    Although I believe Sweden cannot beat Mexico they could eke out a draw so that was a big moment..and a gutwrenching one for Sweden who now almost certainly wont make it.

hash likes this post.

England giving these blokes a right smashing. Just hope the tabloids over there dont mount on the pressure. Has killed them in past tournaments
    edited June 2018
    Rip Aussies! Disappointing but no surprise to me they got rolled, honest triers but just an average unit with below average strike power..i wouldnt have Kruse or Juric in the team at all..

I hope Belgium, the mad Croats and England do real well in the knockout stages.
    Not sure of the matchups yet but i think the Cro boys may play the uber boring Danes in the first knockout round so pencil that in as a win for them.
    Also i believe Belgium and England will both have very winnable round of 16 matches.

Need Jesus (back) on our side.

Cahill one thing......... but Kennedy was the only real striker of note we've had in the last 10 years (across the board).
    Saw a stat that Jedinak has scored our last 5 goals(in world cup matches), 4 penalties and a free kick..none of our strikers have quality finishing in their repertoire, Rogic is ok and creative but still slightly off the pace.
    Over the journey lack of quality cattle was against Postecoglou..maybe..but yes we need at least one preferably two or more supreme goal scoring forwards to be developed somehow!..ohh and another Harry Kewell but a less injury prone model..please.

Congrats to Cahill maybe his time was already up at 38 but his contribution to Australian Soccer has been massive.Timmy was a true star much revered and rightly so.
    Surely he will be amongst the coaching team for the next WC if he wants to do that.

SLIPPERGOLDEN likes this post.

• SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,735 posts
    edited June 2018
    Two observations;

Why did England use such a great set piece (for other countries to view) when they were three goals up against minnows?

Craig Moore does his best but he is a very average commentator. Particularly annoying with words ending in ING eg Everythin', Somethin', Nothin'
    edited June 2018
    My take on it, and I have watched every minute of ever socceroos game since the WCQ v Argetina in '93, no way to sugercoat it but we are battlers with no football identity or pedigree. We had that golden era culminating in the 2006 WC but i think that was just a perfect storm of perfect players.

We need to create our own identity in football and back it in for the next 20 years and see where we end up. We appointed Han Burger (german) as tech director about 6 years ago to give us that german edge but we pulled the plug on it, and rightly so IMO. We arnt german and we dont have that level of skill or technical understanding. We need to start from scratch and start it all from grassroots.

Interesting info, when i was coaching i found out that the Belgian system they started 20 odd years ago forbid junior players from tackling in games or training, their sole focus was the development of on "on the ball" skill. Is it any coincidence they are dead set flying now with the world best players?

We need something to change. Otherwise these brave honorable draws and losses is all we can expect. And it will take alot of time.
    Look at Korea, just knocked out Germany. Why cant we do that?
  • jumjum    3,508 posts
    Ole "FOS" didn't miss us in his post game analysis either.   :-j

H-BOMBER likes this post.

paraletic said:

Look at Korea, just knocked out Germany. Why cant we do that?

And Japan topping their group.
    With us are the big three of Asia, but only those two produce when it counts.

I still say our midfielders and defenders are up to it, we just have no forwards capable of finishing.
    edited June 2018
    I agree, we need a great deal of improvement up front. these are the guys that played most of the games and my thoughts this world cup. 
    Risdon - WA boy who played every minute. Played well enough to go to a club in Europe this year. Needs to work on his crossing. A move to Belgium/Swiss/Holland will do his game, especially attack wise, the world of good. 
    Behich - played well enough. Also needs to improve on crossing. 
    Sainsbury - WA boy who again played every minute, EPL is his level and he wouldn't look out of place although the hectic schedule may be a bit demanding of his body.  I would love to see him play for Newcastle UTD (my team) 
    Milligan - played every minute. Solid, versatile. his 4th World Cup. wont be there next time but a great custodian of the Socceroos. Has played in multiple positions over the years, he is our Mr fix it. 
    Jedinak - one of the best defensive mids in the game. Nothing more to say. Accountable. Unwavering under pressure. Great leader. Wont be there next world cup (age).    
    Mooy - good player, find it very frustrating when he cant get a corner past the first man tho. Carving up in the EPL tho, very good sign.  
    Rogic - could be a superstar, but i find he is our biggest "myth". Plenty of similarities between him and Scotty McDonald. They both set the world on fire for Celtic but are limp dicks for the socceroos. I expect alot more. And  ffs - "SHOOT!" 
    Kruse - gets in the best positions, messes most of them up. But defenders are very scared when he runs at them. Needs a confidence boost.  
    Leckie - class player. Plays in Germany, wouldn't surprise if he moves to a bigger club. Most improved in this team by a country mile. 
    Juric - i nicknamed him the "lump of wood". Does nothing, gives nothing. A very poor mans Mark Viduka. 
    Nabbout - runs and runs and runs. Needs to get in better attacking positions to get access to goals. On the rise, but needs to develop that strikers 6th sense. 
    Arzani - our shining light. Our next "Harry". Hopefully makes the move to Holland under Van Bommell (Aus assistant coach) at PSV. this league will help him progress, if he goes to English Championship or even EPL he will either get constantly butchered or lack game time so i think a move to holland is the only way to go for now.  

Players that didnt play much (or at all) 
    Luongo - A utility player that never saw a minute on the pitch. But handy enough long term. 
    Irvine - Rate him better than Luongo, will be in the team long term also. Came on but did very little which was a shame.  
    McLaren - used to watch him carve up in the local Perth league about 4 years ago. On the improve and quick as anything. Will get plenty of game time in years to come. 

To be fair though - we shouldn't have got near any of the three teams we drew in our group.
    If we had the draw some of the other teams have - we'd be progressing.

and besides that - we're not alone. 16 of 32 teams are out round one..........Incl reigning champions Deutschland !!!
  • PAULPAUL    2,665 posts
    ROUND OF 16 GAMES

Sat 30/6 10pm - France v Argentina
    Sun 1/7 2am - Uruguay v Portugal
    Mon 2/7 10pm - Brazil v Mexico
    Tues 3/7 2am - Belgium v Japan

Sun 1/7 10pm - Spain v Russia
    Mon 2/7 2am - Croatia v Denmark
    Tues 3/7 10pm - Sweden v Switzerland
    Wed 4/7 2am - Colombia v England
    France
    Portugal
    Brazil
    Belgium

Spain
    Denmark
    Sweden
    England
    Agree 100% on 6 of those but i reckon the Croats will roll the not so great danes(who couldnt even beat us)..and the Swiss can fully test Sweden who were imo flattered by an underwhelming performance from Mexico.
    Yep, got Denmark as my upset
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,232 posts
    Belgium's doing everything right
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,232 posts
    Looking forward to watching Maradona....i mean Fra v Arg tonight

Lol..A Special unit that fella! Did i see a minder holding him up the other day? :))

Hope Messi sets the stadium alight, one of the best ever and humble as unlike that other big mincer Ronaldo :D