edited September 2015 Breeding
But yet our stallion ranks can only bring a tear to a mare owners eyes :((

Comments

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    At least they are cheap these days!!!!!!!!!!!!! X_X
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    Buying them is the hard part.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Why would you buy one and bring it here for the fickle local market, to drop it when it doesn't win the Karrakatta and MM in its first season???
    Keep the best on the east Coast and then those who seriously want the best will send their mares across to them. Makes no sense to have top line stallions over here anymore. Don't knwo why a stud would waste money trying personally.
    If we don't stand stallions here in WA, we might as well just fold up the yearling sales. Every sale has a large local content. The buyers are just not available for WA to have a Sydney Inglis Easter Sale style catalogue of champion or first season wonder boys stock. If that was the only way to get into a sale here, then you wouldn't get $50,000 for a Fastnet Rock.

I'm trying to buy a stallion for what is becoming a growing group of WA Breeders. I have suggested a budget of $5M for the right Gr 1 winner and preferably one that the Hunter wants but we are able to pinch him earlier enough in his career. I missed out on a genuine horse that keeps on winning group races, because someone beat me to it. I was told I could have 40% of him but he was already slated to stand in The Hunter Valley.

So in trying to look past Blackfriars, who won't last forever, Snippetson in my opinion is the heir apparent. I just wanted a headliner to stand here so we could inject some great blood into our mares for the next ten years or so.

Carlosa, CPL likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Don't deny we need to stand stallions, but WA is the centre of nothing and if it doesn't win in its first season everyone - the stallion owners included - dump it.

So to risk that sort of investment in WA is ludicrous in my opinion. If you want a good stallion pay the extra $5k it costs to send your good mare to a good stallion on the east coast.......

GaryH likes this post.

• CPLCPL    632 posts
    BUT if a good station doesn't come then mare owners will lose interest in having to send mares East. If a mare has to go east then you'll find they often or not stay there and the yearling sells over there. Breeding needs to start somewere and good stallions get good mares.
  • CPLCPL    632 posts
    I'd breed 6 mares a year some time back and one or two would go east. Add transport, agistment, the bells and whistles than it a big service fee.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    I agree CPL.....but they get dumped over here by everyone so quickly...

Also a lot of other races are around rather than listed/group races. So to breed from a good mare over here, you still have a chance to finish in front..If you want to win listed and group races, then you really need to step outside of WA and breeders probably should have been doing that for the past decade or more..Just now if you want to win or be in the big races in WA you need to buy or breed outside WA.

The way its going if you can get a mid 60's rated horse and get a win a season once it gets there, you can pretty easily get 30-60k a year, cover the costs and enjoy getting a bit to buy into the next one.

I wouldn't take any mare to a $20k stallion in WA, and if you pay $5mil for one, the fee would have to be more than that, as they really only have the first 3 years to get their money back! People shudder paying $13k for Blackfriars, a proven sire of WA Champions!!!!
  • SeagullSeagull    39 posts
    edited October 2015

X_X
  • SeagullSeagull    39 posts
    Test
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Damien is that stallion Preferment?
  • CarlosaCarlosa    1,287 posts
    Need more than 5M for him!

thefalcon likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    multiply it by 5...
    paraletic said:

Damien is that stallion Preferment?

The horse I referred to in my comment was Press Statement. I thought I had made an inquiry early enough, but was already beaten to the punch, and I'm not after a share in one over East, I want to bring a Gr 1 winner to WA.

CPL likes this post.

multiply it by 5...

really? He has won a derby and the race last week at G1 level. Surely couldn't be worth more than $10m and I think im being very generous.  
    paraletic said:

multiply it by 5...

really? He has won a derby and the race last week at G1 level. Surely couldn't be worth more than $10m and I think im being very generous.  
    unless of course he wins one of the big 3.
  • CPLCPL    632 posts
    I'm going to say that Sessions is a chance to be something in WA.