G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 12 Non Members

Magic Millions 2016

Breeding
Interested to hear your comments on this year's catalogue. Last year's sale provoked a good discussion.

A few Lope de Vegas in there, and he seems to be going well.

Also interested to hear updated views on Dick Turpin, the last stats I saw from Europe were underwhelming but it's early days still.

Comments

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    edited December 2015
    DT's?? if you find a nice one take a picture and post it please...Oh and i mean one that can run, not just look big and strong!!! Have any made it to the track yet??

He served 88 in his first season and not one of them has made it to the track yet.. and only 32 named so far!!!
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    63 live foals, 32 named and it is not even Christmas of their maiden season ? Anything with any talent wouldn't have even run yet, why would you ?
  • ColourfulRDColourfulRD    480 posts
    so your telling us they are not early runners ?

RIO likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Only putting up the stats that all stallions are judged on..How many 2yr old runners they have and how many 2yr old winners you have..If the numbers are low on both, no-one goes to them!!! Don't agree with it, but that is the fickle WA market and will make it hard to sell them in the MM auctions if none have seen race action or won by Mid Feb

FreoHitman likes this post.

Mungrup Stud have produced winners for years. Write them off at your peril. Dick Turpin is a lovely stallion, far better credentialed than several others. Whilst I prefer colonial stallions, especially on the tougher WA tracks, every now and again a shuttling stallion can get a good performing horse here in WA.

I usually look at everything in Perth, most more than once. But those that I will take particular interest in, because they can run, are Blackfriars, Choisir, Demerit, High Chaparral, Husson, I Am Invincible, Kendel Star, Mosayter, Oratorio, Sebring, Snippetson, Snitzel, Stratum, Testa Rossa, Trade Fair and Written Tycoon. All are proven at one level or another.

Your Song is an interesting one, as there is a lot of talk about his stock.

cinnabelle likes this post.

• FreoHitmanFreoHitman    426 posts
    Rio , anything caught the eye .
    Any smokeys out there this year ???
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    ^^^^nothing yet, but i've only glanced at the on line catalogue..got the book today so will start looking properly...I need the book to have a proper look. With 2 yearlings, 2 new season foals and another 2 on the way i doubt I'll be buying..but might try to get a syndicate going to get one!!!! hahaha

Carlosa, Thoroly_Bread, Dale likes this post.

• OhsomodestOhsomodest    67 posts
    Any thoughts on Lope de Vega guys? I hear a few good operators snapped up his progeny at the Patinack dispersal pretty quickly.

I might be interested in a syndicate Rio.

RIO likes this post.

147 runners for 80 winners. 54.4% strikerate. 8 individual stakes winner, 1 at Gr 1 most successful breeding cross is with Danehill line. Most wins in the 1200-1700M category

Ohsomodest likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts

Any thoughts on Lope de Vega guys? I hear a few good operators snapped up his progeny at the Patinack dispersal pretty quickly.

he seems to be one to get into, but i think its not just anyone..not like Snitzel was early on...I'll have a look and see if i can find a good one..Oh hang on, just remembered i have NFI what a good one is!!!!!
    ;) :))

Already got 1 syndicated yearling for next year, and am committed to two
    others with trainers to syndicate out and Mrs RIO has a 100% owned
    yearling. So with 4 for next year already i am going to struggle to find
    the time or money to take on anymore....

Ohsomodest likes this post.

147 runners for 80 winners. 54.4% strikerate. 8 individual stakes winner, 1 at Gr 1 most successful breeding cross is with Danehill line. Most wins in the 1200-1700M category

Where do you get the stats Damien? I've tried Pedigree Query but their Australian stats for progeny are well out of date.
  • LeglessLegless    5,108 posts
    edited December 2015
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts

don't like any of these ones....means they will probably go for well over 50k each!!! and be fighting for champion 3yr old fillies in a few years
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    lot 40 at this stage.....love to have it...would even luv to have the money to afford it!!!! 2 hours looked at 6 horses!!!!!!! i give up

Chelsea likes this post.

Where do you get the stats Damien? I've tried Pedigree Query but their Australian stats for progeny are well out of date.

http://www.racingandsports.com.au/en/#sTxGkWLftiVwFV5I.97

just go to the right hand side of the page and type in the stallions name and stallion record as the filter
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    If the first and only thing you're looking at is who their dad is, you're in for a painful experience in horse purchasing and ownership...............
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    ^^ Agree. My dad played football at the highest level. I couldn't get a kick in a stampede!
    Tivers said:

If the first and only thing you're looking at is who their dad is, you're in for a painful experience in horse purchasing and ownership...............

But if you want to solve a jigsaw, start with all the pieces

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• lamelame    1,757 posts
    Yes , wouldn't buy a snitzel if I wanted a 2yo much like I wouldn't buy a I am invincible if I wanted a 4+ yo
    No offence lame, but assuming you're no wealthier than me...............the only Snitzel you (or I) could buy would be one with three legs.

As for how I read the book.............
    I look at the pedigree (dam page), then who the vendor is - and only then if all ticks do I even bother to check who the sire is.

And then 90% of the ones you're still considering have been a waste of time anyway, as you don't agree with their type :)
    Vendor hasn't really been part of my checklist in years gone past, as I am of the opinion that even someone who makes the dumbest of breeding decisions, that's someone who breeds according to the deal price on the service fee, can breed a nice horse every once in awhile.

But it is something I now consider, as some farms just have disappointing records of achievement compared to others in the State.

I think the most damage they do to their own stock, is what follows the birth of a foal up until the time it is offered for sale as a yearling. It's a handicap that is just too much to ask Trainers to overcome.
    Is to do with how they're raised (for me), not their breeding decisions, yes.

Legless, Dale likes this post.

I totally agree as far as keeping an eye on the dam as well as the sire. One of my criteria is that the horse I buy into is is out of a proven producer.

As for the importance of the farm, it's hard to come by information on strike rates etc for farms. Do you base that assessment on observation over the years or are there resources to assist?
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Tivers said:

Is to do with how they're raised (for me), not their breeding decisions, yes.

until I started breeding I never even considered this..After the first one was born, I started to think about tis an talk with others about this. I now know it is very important.

Not saying where I am is the best in the state, but I do know they do the best they can with what they have got and that makes a big difference to me, especially when I compare it to the other 4 or 5 studs I've talked with over the past couple of seasons. So as a consequences of that and my own observations, some horses are crossed off really quickly......Lot 40 was all dam

• PimlicoPimlico    39 posts

Mungrup Stud have produced winners for years. Write them off at your peril. Dick Turpin is a lovely stallion, far better credentialed than several others. Whilst I prefer colonial stallions, especially on the tougher WA tracks, every now and again a shuttling stallion can get a good performing horse here in WA.

I usually look at everything in Perth, most more than once. But those that I will take particular interest in, because they can run, are Blackfriars, Choisir, Demerit, High Chaparral, Husson, I Am Invincible, Kendel Star, Mosayter, Oratorio, Sebring, Snippetson, Snitzel, Stratum, Testa Rossa, Trade Fair and Written Tycoon. All are proven at one level or another.

How are your purchases from the 2015 sale coming along Damien?
    Early days still I know, but are any showing a bit at this stage. There were a couple of nice ones you bought.

• goosegoose    1,628 posts
    If you are keen on him a great year to buy a Dick Turpin should be great value many good yearlings by him great crosses haven't a clue what they look like but he should throw a real good runner or two at some point. Like the families of a few including 156 and 82.
    I've worked my way through the catalogue. I'm keen to get a filly. These are the lots I came up:

Pimlico said:

How are your purchases from the 2015 sale coming along Damien?
    Early days still I know, but are any showing a bit at this stage. There were a couple of nice ones you bought.

All went shinsore during their prep's. The Demerit is quite reasonable and Jim says he is nice enough and Sam should have some fun with him, just don;t know at what level. He doesn't think much of the Moshe I bought. A bit small, went shinsore way too fast and doesn't hold much hope for him.

The Husson puts them in the shade though. Most likely he is the standard the other's are compared to, and he clearly is the stable favorite of my purchases.

From the Winter Sale, the Alfred Nobel has lost all condition, is weak and will take forever, I'm told.

From the Yarradale Sale, and with Trainer Colin Webster, the Scandal Keeper was quite pleasing in her lead up work, but when she got to Trials, I personally found her disappointing. So she has gone for a spell and hopefully has a bit more to work with next time around.

Typically, everything eligible was paid up for the Magic Millions race, and nothing will be even close to running. I'm hoping for Sam, that the Husson and the Demerit can debut prior to the Karrakatta Plate so he can have a throw at the stumps with them.
  • ColourfulRDColourfulRD    480 posts
    I've heard Jim gets to pick for Sam this year. Well at least the ones he wants. Just rumour, I will check with Jim next time I see him.