Breeding

Comments

• ColourfulRDColourfulRD    480 posts
    edited January 2016
    3 for Aquanita Lodge
    The NDP one won't be coming
    Dan Morton came home empty
  • Thoroly_BreadThoroly_Bread    2,311 posts
    It's odd because I don't think there is much worth buying from our sale it is woful where will trainers get decent horses from?
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts

It's odd because I don't think there is much worth buying from our sale it is woful where will trainers get decent horses from?

i've struggled to find too many standouts..still not had a really thorough look, so maybe I'll find them soon.

A more important question is where will you find your next one TB??? I've found one i like and that was only cos it got pointed out to me...But if i like it, so will others and when there are so few too like the chance is that it will be bid out of my expected price range, as there are so few to like!!!!!!

I'm breeding, but the bulls we have are so hit and miss that's hard to do as well....
    :-? :-??

Thoroly_Bread likes this post.

I'm living in Qld now so I will look to the QTIS sales I know you don't get westspeed but those sales are pretty good sometimes you get middle tier horses ones that didn't get to the Jan sale and you aren't bidding against Coolmore and Gai

RIO likes this post.

Not having a go rio but small time breeding is a mugs game you need big numbers and land to put the odds in your favour trust me from a guy that has done close to a couple of 100k I hope you have a lot better luck then me honestly!! I think the sales are the only way to go no matter what Falc says sales are a lottery no doubt but you know what you are getting, you breed one could have dodgey legs, could be small could get caught in a fence 1 week after you pay the service fee and you have to shoot it never again for me unless I race a really good filly/mare and I mean Gr2 winner or multiple black type

nosoup4u likes this post.

• LeglessLegless    5,108 posts
    edited January 2016
    Agree with TB.
    I got lucky and bred one that could run otherwise would also be a couple of hundred K behind #:-S

:-? Self declared mug though :\"> more than likely will have another go in years to come

PS TB - you dont have to breed them for 'em to have a blue with a fence!! #-o those from the sales are just as good at it :((

RIO, MinesACorona likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts

Not having a go rio but small time breeding is a mugs game you need big numbers and land to put the odds in your favour trust me from a guy that has done close to a couple of 100k I hope you have a lot better luck then me honestly!! I think the sales are the only way to go no matter what Falc says sales are a lottery no doubt but you know what you are getting, you breed one could have dodgey legs, could be small could get caught in a fence 1 week after you pay the service fee and you have to shoot it never again for me unless I race a really good filly/mare and I mean Gr2 winner or multiple black type

I am aware of that a lot more now that I was 4years ago...and I was warned. We are 200k in the hole and one year to go of a 4year plan, that I expected to eat up 300k. We have also just bought a rural property to reduce some of the growing costs.. So really you could take that figure out close to 800k - if you included the property!!!!! The first  of them will hit the track this year.

I had done the sales thing and blew 80k on my first one, and 70k on the next, so 150k over 2 years and only one got to the track and the other had 4 runs without scaring the cheque winners. I also had shares in a couple of others that did nothing from the sales.. Obviously we have had a few winners around those ones, otherwise I'd have given up ages ago.

So I realise its a mugs game, but we only have one opportunity in life to waste this sort of money and if I left it any longer I would've been too worried about spending my retirement funds and would have always had that "what if I was that lucky breeder" thought ringing9in the back of my head!!

Have planned to be either having success, making money, or got out of them (full ownership and breeding) by the time I'm 55 (3 years away) so I will have 3-5 years to save the money required to get me back on an even keel for retirement.

The challenge to have that champion is deep rooted in all us mugs that buy or breed. So I'm making sure I have a shot at both, before I'm in a position that I cant.

Thoroly_Bread, jum, nosoup4u likes this post.

I'm getting right behind you with all my will one of us poor bastards as to strike it lucky!!

RIO likes this post.

• RexRex    397 posts
    RIO said:

I am aware of that a lot more now that I was 4years ago...and I was warned. We are 200k in the hole and one year to go of a 4year plan, that I expected to eat up 300k. We have also just bought a rural property to reduce some of the growing costs.. So really you could take that figure out close to 800k - if you included the property!!!!! The first  of them will hit the track this year.

I had done the sales thing and blew 80k on my first one, and 70k on the next, so 150k over 2 years and only one got to the track and the other had 4 runs without scaring the cheque winners. I also had shares in a couple of others that did nothing from the sales.. Obviously we have had a few winners around those ones, otherwise I'd have given up ages ago.

So I realise its a mugs game, but we only have one opportunity in life to waste this sort of money and if I left it any longer I would've been too worried about spending my retirement funds and would have always had that "what if I was that lucky breeder" thought ringing9in the back of my head!!

Have planned to be either having success, making money, or got out of them (full ownership and breeding) by the time I'm 55 (3 years away) so I will have 3-5 years to save the money required to get me back on an even keel for retirement.

The challenge to have that champion is deep rooted in all us mugs that buy or breed. So I'm making sure I have a shot at both, before I'm in a position that I cant.

Fair go Rio, bit of cheating going on with the age bit. 52 they must have been hard years.

nosoup4u likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    The hardest are ahead of me Rexy!!! Gunna work my arse off trying to recover that money in 3-5 years!!!! Mrs Rio reckons I look like I'm 35!!! Or did she reckon I was looking at a 35 yr old???? Haha

Rex, Thoroly_Bread likes this post.

• TheFunksterTheFunkster    3,840 posts
    RIO said:

You don't find the standouts in the book. That just tells you how much you need to pay for the standouts...

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    more than my budget funky
    Should the lack of activity on here be a sign of things to come at the up and coming sale? Very quiet on all fronts social media everything usually MM are sending emails every 2 days from January 2nd
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Studs report tour numbers were up.
    Whether there's a bank roll behind that or not - yet to be discovered.
    That's a good sign Tivs if nothing else I guess it's a wait and see really isn't it? Will there be much international participation from what you know?
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    No idea, but you'd think our dollar tanking could only help.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    I think Owners Own have been dragging all sorts of people on the bus tours, so may not be too many cheque books behind those numbers.

Can someone please pick out their Auction topper???? i've tried and found a few that i will have a look at but i cant find the Auction topper!?!?!
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    On paper it could be Lot 140 but depends if he has four legs and a tail

RIO, FreoHitman likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    I reckon the sale will be just better than last year. Just!
  • FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts
    paraletic said:

I reckon the sale will be just better than last year. Just!

Buyers market.

Tivers, RIO likes this post.

• OhsomodestOhsomodest    67 posts
    edited February 2016
    Anyone heading to the Owners' expo tomorrow afternoon?
    Disregard - just saw the other thread.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    edited February 2016

have planned too, but works a bitch at the moment so no guarantee i'll get down there

EDIT...Just read it starts at 5pm!!!!! how the hell are you meant to get in there at that time of the day!!!
  • OhsomodestOhsomodest    67 posts
    I work Melbourne time Rio so it's a bit late for me!!! Need to kill a couple of hours...
  • LeglessLegless    5,108 posts
    RIO said:

have planned too, but works a bitch at the moment so no guarantee i'll get down there

EDIT...Just read it starts at 5pm!!!!! how the hell are you meant to get in there at that time of the day!!!
    easy!!! leave at 3 :D
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    that's what i mean...i woudl have been home for 3 or 4 hours, then have to head back into town from home!!!! Without my afternoon nap...haha
    Only joking...i should be able to get in there, now to work out where to park!!
    More Lots with photo's are now online. I'm quite taken with several.
  • PimlicoPimlico    39 posts
    Sydney Classic well up on last year, continuing the upward trend also seen at MM Gold Coast & Karaka.
    Surely vendors can go into MM Perth with at least some optimism. Hopefully Magic a Millions have done a little more to attract some eastern states buyers. Last year was disappointing to say the least!
    I spoke with David Housten during the week, and he was very pleased with the Stud tours and the increase numbers that took time to view this year's yearlings. Unfortunately, due to work commitments I couldn't make any of the days nor the Pinjarra MM Day today.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Two different matkets, Perth and East coast. Their economy is flying but we are strugling. I dont reckon the sale here will reflect whats happening over there.

RIO, oldhendo likes this post.

• lamelame    1,757 posts
    edited February 2016
    paraletic said:

Two different matkets, Perth and East coast. Their economy is flying but we are strugling. I dont reckon the sale here will reflect whats happening over there.

They have 2 economies so the east trainers will still be after a few cheaper animals for one of those markets