In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 28 Non Members

Racing memorabilia.

West Australian Racing

Comments

• SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,735 posts
    edited February 2016
    Not racing but as a teenager my Father obtained for me from Dennis Lillee a programme from the 1977 Ashes Tour fully autographed by all players from both teams. Despite what I thought was a safe spot my Mother says she may have thrown  it out thinking it was an old mag. Mind you my brother is also a suspect. I wouldn't be surprised if he sold it. Either way a great souvenir is no longer in my possession. 
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    edited February 2016
    paraletic said:

I would love to have Joe Janiak sign it for me. If I ever got to meet him I would probably give it to him.   

so you'd ask him to sign them then give them to him lol

don't be ridiculous, you asked for them and obtained them fair and square

Joe would have more than enough memories and memorabilia thanks to TT from over the years 

• loose_gooseloose_goose    2,069 posts
    H-BOMBER said:

Haha they were going to throw them out. Speaks volumes really

Yeah, why not give them to the connections of the runners. Strange- throw them out WTF
    Legless said:

hash said:

@hash If you look closely at the UK win you can see Nolen thinking: "Oh ****, that was close!"  ;))

still gives me shivers thinking of that win and how close it was... imagine if it went the other way and he got her beaten!! the uproar from punters, the whole of her followers from Oz, connections of the horse and all the rest.... and that unbeaten streak gone! it seriously would have been the biggest disaster in sporting history in our lifetime

Moody's reactiojn after the race when what looked like an official-went to shake his hand but was brushed-was a classic. He was livid. Oh to be a fly on the wall when Luke Nolen gave his explanation behind closed doors.
    Moody told the story at a carbine lunch a few years back. A good yarn - bit too long to go through here ( cue bookielover =)) ).
    Who cares how long, would like to read it
  • everreadyeverready    282 posts

I received one as a present. A framed pic which displays the "Legends Of The Turf" over the last 30yrs:

Octagonal: check: Saintly: check; Sunline:(debatable, but check); Northerly: check etc etc...curiously Might And Power has been excluded but Fields Of Omagh made the cut :-? :-O
    Sunline debatable please!! did she need to win 3 cox plates [-X
  • spinking said:

in the late seventies when I was about 10-13 years old I used to work in the jockeys room they had a race called the H G Bolton international if I remember correctly the best jockeys from all over the world were invited in the racebook they had a picture of them and a little story on each of them I got everone of their signatures still have the racebook at home also helped ROY HIGGENS with his gear in those days us valets would walk down to were they weigh in and get there saddle I think it was the derby or a lead up race the professor won on stormy rex  Jimmy Hollands went to get a photo of Roy Roy put his arm over my shoulder and said not without my little mate the next Saturday after packing his bag  he hands me a framed copy of it with the signature to my mate best luck good wishes roy Higgins still has pride of place on my wall even though I am now 50

spinking said:

in the late seventies when I was about 10-13 years old I used to work in the jockeys room they had a race called the H G Bolton international if I remember correctly the best jockeys from all over the world were invited in the racebook they had a picture of them and a little story on each of them I got everone of their signatures still have the racebook at home also helped ROY HIGGENS with his gear in those days us valets would walk down to were they weigh in and get there saddle I think it was the derby or a lead up race the professor won on stormy rex  Jimmy Hollands went to get a photo of Roy Roy put his arm over my shoulder and said not without my little mate the next Saturday after packing his bag  he hands me a framed copy of it with the signature to my mate best luck good wishes roy Higgins still has pride of place on my wall even though I am now 50

spinking said:

I received one as a present. A framed pic which displays the "Legends Of The Turf" over the last 30yrs:

Octagonal: check: Saintly: check; Sunline:(debatable, but check); Northerly: check etc etc...curiously Might And Power has been excluded but Fields Of Omagh made the cut :-? :-O
    Totally agree
  • Recall the photo well Ray
  • lamelame    1,757 posts
    edited February 2016
    ^^^^
    Slip does your brother have a PTT account oops =))
  • lamelame    1,757 posts
    lame said:

^^^^
    Slip does your brother have a PTT account oops =))

Sorry slip miss read what shrivelviolet wrote thought he named the place your programme was
    For some reason I figured a photo well was like a recess in a wall
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,735 posts
    How well are you travelling Lame? The night is still young. It must be the heat that has got to you.

lame likes this post.

• SquiddySquiddy    89 posts

I agree, she was outstanding!

thefalcon likes this post.

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts

Apparently two is enough hence why Fields Of Omagh made the cut. I always found it hard to call Sunline an out and out champ. Northerly was the only one who was prepared to eyeball her and he beat her three times from three attempts even when he gave her a massive start(Feehan Stakes).
    So with a record of 48: 32-9-3
    and earning over $11mil doesn't make you a champion what does? Three time Australian horse of the year in a row is a fair effort aswell

oldhendo likes this post.

edited February 2016
    Squiddy said:

So with a record of 48: 32-9-3
    and earning over $11mil doesn't make you a champion what does? Three time Australian horse of the year in a row is a fair effort aswell

Champion mare, perhaps. Out and out champion? Nope. She was humbled by Northerly and her winning record was established towards the front end of her career. She lost plenty towards the end as a heavy fav most times also.
    Add to what I've previously said 13 group 1 wins, what else does a horse need to do to be classed as a champion in your eyes?
    edited February 2016
    It's a discussion for another thread. Personally I think any Sunline memorabilia is worthless but that's just me. I was there the day she lost the All Aged Stakes as a $1.30 fav but I'm sure there are plenty that will offer up excuses for that effort AND the Yalumba(beaten by Lonhro) AND the CP(Smashed by Northerly). She wss very good, but a champ? Nope. Only champion effort I saw was her 2nd Doncaster win but she beat Shogun Lodge and he ran 2nd in G1s plenty of times.
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    thats a gee up surely? 
    edited February 2016
    @thediva I've had this discussion(which ends up an argument) many times and the same excuses are thrown up for her defeats. You don't make excuses for champions. So You Think's defeat in the Melb Cup doesn't sully his record imo.
  • jumjum    3,508 posts
    Name your champions then @therealkramer. Remembering Northerly got rolled by Freemason as a $1.30 pop <:-P

TheDiva likes this post.

edited February 2016
    jum said:

Name your champions then @therealkramer. Remembering Northerly got rolled by Freemason as a $1.30 pop <:-P </p>

Bang! I think maybe someone backed her at $1.30 and never recovered
    edited February 2016

Apparently two is enough hence why Fields Of Omagh made the cut. I always found it hard to call Sunline an out and out champ. Northerly was the only one who was prepared to eyeball her and he beat her three times from three attempts even when he gave her a massive start(Feehan Stakes).
    And when people make this statement I go looking for this on another forum about the same thing

If one considers the 3-0 stat on face value, without having the intelligence to analyse why the result came about, then that would be one opinion - i.e. an embarrassingly stupid opinion.

They were both great horses, yes Northerly got Sunline 3 times but she was a year older and a mare, and in my opinion the season before Northerly arrived, she had peaked at her prime
    Record‎: ‎48: 32-9-3
    Trainer‎: ‎Trevor McKee
    Foaled‎: ‎1995
    Earnings‎: ‎A$11,351,607  "only 4 times unplaced"

Record‎: ‎37: 19-7-2
    Owner‎: ‎Mr & Mrs N.G. Duncan; & Mrs J ...
    Trainer‎: ‎Fred Kersley
    Sire‎: ‎Serheed (USA)

Noticed I have bolded opinion because that is all it is

She peaked BEFORE she won her 2nd Doncaster with 58kg? Riiiight 8-}
    jum said:

Name your champions then @therealkramer. Remembering Northerly got rolled by Freemason as a $1.30 pop <:-P

Might And Power
    Northerly
    So You Think
    Makybe Diva

That is all
    :-B

• jumjum    3,508 posts

Makybe Diva was unplaced in 14 of her 36 starts. so your argument does not stack up.

She was weighted to win those CUPS. On the same level that Delicacy was to win our Perth cup. Simple fact is she should have been weighted higher and was not. So if she did not win the second and third Melbourne cups would she be a champion in your eyes.

I am not saying for one moment here she is not a champion. because like Freedman said. We will not see that happen in our lifetime.       Im just saying that your argument with Sunline and Makybe Diva is flawed. Because if she did not run into Sunline that day she wins a Third Cox Plate and we would not be discussing this.

Darkhorse likes this post.

jum said:

Might And Power
    Northerly
    So You Think
    Makybe Diva

That is all
    :-B
    Great minds - Love Might & Power

@jum Makybe is last on that list for a reason. But I saw the Aust Cup, BMW, CP and 3rd Cup with my own eyes trackside. I doubted her in the 3rd Cup and she made me look a fool.

I'm willing to call her 2nd Doncaster win a champion effort. She had to fight for that win and she didn't fold like she usually did when challenged.
  • careycarey    6,368 posts
    i'm with kramer.
    she was overrated in my humble opinion.
    not that it matters though, because that's all it can be is opinion.
    i always thought of her as essentially a wet tracker.

kingston town is numero uno

then

sobar
    surround
    might and power
    northerly
    so you think

in no particular order
    and because my judgement is not warped by how much i won on them, as it was basically nothing for them all, excepting surround when she won the cox plate as filly.

Chelsea likes this post.