G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 24 Non Members

NRL 2016

Sport
PAULPAUL    2,665 posts
NRL premiership season starts on Thursday night with Parramatta Eels taking on last year's grand finalist Brisbane Broncos.

SEASON FIXTURES
http://www.nrl.com/drawresults/tabid/11180/default.aspx

PREMIERSHIP MARKET (via TABtouch)
$4.40 Brisbane Broncos
$7.25 North Queensland Cowboys
$8.25 Manly Sea Eagles
$8.75 New Zealand Warriors
$11 Sydney Roosters
$13 Melbourne Storm, South Sydney Rabbitohs
$15 Canterbury Bulldogs, Cronulla Sharks
$17 Parramatta Eels, Penrith Panthers
$26 Canberra Raiders
$34 St George Dragons
$67 Newcastle Knights
$101 Wests Tigers
$251 Gold Coast Titans

Comments

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    Go the Raiders! We're coming for that premiership in the next 2-3 years. It's been a long wait since 1994 :!!

Legless likes this post.

• PAULPAUL    2,665 posts
    @therealkramer Good start to the season for the Raiders, beating the Panthers today.

therealkramer likes this post.

PAUL said:

@therealkramer Good start to the season for the Raiders, beating the Panthers today.

A couple of untimely injuries though. Our best player, Blake Austin has a medial ligament strain and Aidan Sezer has a possible cheekbone/eye socket fracture. I don't know why they took the 2 point penalty goal when up by two though late in the game. That was crazy logic, but that's the Raiders 8-} :(|)
    Heard on the radio that Austin could be out for 4-6 weeks. Tough break. Playing the Roosters next week, if they can play as s*** as they did against the Rabbitohs today (especially that first half), that would be handy.
  • G-MacG-Mac    1,569 posts

SKD was the Roosters best. Says plenty about the team. SKD had spent the previous 2 weeks in court having his love life openly aired for public appraisal while because his ex failed in her bid to extort money from him and his employer. If he packed up and walked away you couldn't blame him.

My main gripe this weekend is that the 'drinks break' ruling is left to the coaches. That is, both have to agree to have one due to the heat or it isn't taken at all. There is enough medical science in the game to confirm that playing at that level in those conditions is dangerous. To have a coach refuse to have the break because they feel it will adversely affect the opposition is dark ages rubbish.

Quite like the Bunker however.

G-Mac said:

SKD was the Roosters best. Says plenty about the team. SKD had spent the previous 2 weeks in court having his love life openly aired for public appraisal while because his ex failed in her bid to extort money from him and his employer. If he packed up and walked away you couldn't blame him.

It doesn't do the cause of the victims of Domestic Violence any good when a so called victim will keep quiet if she is paid off....Gold Digger anyone?

I watch a lot of NSW Cup, Ron Massey Cup, and even the Tertiary League as one of the teams shares home ground with the club my little bloke plays for. That Dragons' second half was so bad they would have struggled in any of those competitions.

Early days yet but there already looks to be a half dozen teams who already can't wait for this season to be over.

edited March 2016
    Roosters lose by 30+ for the second time in three matches, losing 40-0 to the Cowboys in Townsville last night.

First time since 1999 (Brisbane Broncos) that the team that won the minor premiership has lost their first three games the following season.

http://m.nrl.com/matchcentre/tabid/11376/matchId/4876/default.aspx

hash likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    I dunno If my cowboys were just too good or the roosters were just plain awful, hard to line them up after the hiding the cowboys got last week in round 1
    Roosters were woeful. Half the team were looking for somewhere to lie down at the 50 minute mark. SKD makes an 80m run and not one teammate in support. Awful.
    Inglis. I'm still laughing after that brain snap.
    Strikes me as a bloke not enjoying the game. He's either playing busted or he has some other issues.
    G-Mac said:

Inglis. I'm still laughing after that brain snap.
    Strikes me as a bloke not enjoying the game. He's either playing busted or he has some other issues.

Didn't Terry Lamb do something similar when trailing by two about a generation ago? He's in good company there then. Inglis will be an Immortal one day though. Lamb won't-even if he was a legend.
    Despite the fact that he will have an honour bestowed upon him by the editors of a magazine hardly anyone reads anymore and is likely to be defunct within 5 years; I still believe a monumental eff up like that is worthy of a ribbing. Terry Lamb sure copped it when he did it.
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    edited March 2016

any thoughts on tonight's game?

I originally tipped the sharks just for the simple fact how bad Manly were last week and sharks had beaten the dragons (dragons made that formline stronger yesterday beating the rabbitohs!)

but looking into the history and the fact Manly are playing at home i'm almost leaning to manly I a 50/50 game... on form and formlines sharks just simply win but when you look at manly's record "The Sea Eagles have won nine of the last 10, including the past five clashes between the sides at the venue, with Cronulla's last win at Brookvale coming in Round 1, 2008." it's hard to tip against history......

the only thing i'd suggest is watching the market for any big late moves

one bet type I've had something on already is Manly with an 8.5 start and Cronulla with an 11.5 start (combined into 1 bet), so as long as it's a close game and Manly don't win by more than 11 or Cronulla don't win by more than 8 that bets a winner

Hasn't stopped raining since Sunday morning. Brookvale Oval will be a bog I reckon so probably  low scoring encounter. Manly +1.5/Under 34.5 is $3.50 at the moment. 
    And there you have it. 40 minutes done and the ground is holding up beautifully.

Taupau is gone. Late. High. Swinging arm. Done
    G-Mac said:

Hasn't stopped raining since Sunday morning. Brookvale Oval will be a bog I reckon so probably  low scoring encounter. Manly +1.5/Under 34.5 is $3.50 at the moment. 

Well done! Manly win 22-12. =D>

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited March 2016
    @G-Mac and @Thetherealkramer and anybody else..do you guys think Penrith will make the final 8 ? Yay or nay.
    Nay
    PAUL said:

G-Mac said:

Well done! Manly win 22-12. =D>
    Had some SBT when Lyon was lining up the conversion after Trbojevic's try.

@G-Mac and @Thetherealkramer and anybody else..do you guys think Penrith will make the final 8 ? Yay or nay.

I think Cowboys, Broncos, Storm & Rabbitohs are just about a lock for the 8 so that probably leaves four spots. If they make it they will scrape in i'd reckon. So I'd say they'll finish 7-12th. I wouldn't take odds about them though but that's just me. They showed last weekend they are the type of team that us capable of upsetting a good team like the Broncos so i'd rather take the odds on a game like that than back them to win a bunch of games. But their for and against is good so if they can stay in touch they're a chance. New coach and some new signings who knows what they're capable of? And if Thurston does a knee the Cowboys would be in free fall.

• BlacksAFakeBlacksAFake    2,372 posts
    Lot to like about Parra this year,huge finals chance,as long as Norman and Foran stay sound.
  • BlacksAFakeBlacksAFake    2,372 posts
    edited March 2016
    And also if they don't get points stripped for salary cap :-?
    edited March 2016
    At the beginning of the season backed Penrith to miss the 8 ...but after the comeback against the Broncos now having second thoughts , was thinking of squaring the bet off. But might hang in there a bit longer. Just before halftime Broncos were $1.02!!

therealkramer likes this post.

At the beginning of the season backed Penrith to miss the 8 ...but after the comeback against the Broncos now having second thoughts , was thinking of squaring the bet off. But might hang in there a bit longer. Just before halftime Broncos were $1.02!!

Hopefully the Raiders can do us both a favour then? Long suffering Canberra fan here. They beat the Panthers in round 1 as you would know and they easily had the better of them prior to the injuries before hanging on narrowly. 

edited March 2016
    Got out of gaol twice...Raiders game but especially Bulldogs game...both games went right down to the wire...then was put in gaol by the Broncos! It's going to be one of those years. Panthers were not far off being 3 from 3 . Also so close to being 0-3.
    edited March 2016
    First year I've ever followed the game closely. Brutal uncompromising game. Nowhere to hide. Strength, skill, stamina are three words that spring to mind. Am AFL but got sick of waiting for the season to begin!
    edited March 2016

Got out of gaol twice...Raiders game but especially Bulldogs game...both games went right down to the wire...then was put in gaol by the Broncos! It's going to be one of those years. Panthers were not far off being 3 from 3 . Also so close to being 0-3.

Early days yet. The Raiders are undefeated but they have beaten struggling sides so far. The Roosters may recover and Manly should make a run at some stage considering all the talent they have there. If you need to trade out as the finals draw near the battle to avoid the spoon always throws up great value..say for instance two teams are more or less in 15th & 16th place they are usually around $1.75-$2 in a two horse race for last place but every week they end up $2.50-$3 underdogs and if they have any pride left they are able to win a few of those