In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 14 Non Members

Formula One 2016

Sport

Comments

• PAULPAUL    2,665 posts
    PAUL said:

Another win to Rosberg in Suzuka. With a 31 point lead, he now has the luxury of being able to finish 2nd to Hamilton in the last 4 races and still winning the title.>

Correction, Rosberg has a 33 point lead, not 31.
    edited October 2016
    Ricciardo finishes fifth, no wait, now it's fourth, no wait again, now it's third in Mexico after post-race penalties to Verstappen (5 secs) and Vettel (10 secs). 

Consecutive Hamilton/Rosberg/Ricciardo podiums in the last two GPs in Austin and Mexico, reduces Rosberg's lead to 19 points.  Also helps secure third place in the championship for Ricciardo.  Hamilton now ties Alain Prost on 51 wins (2nd all-time behind Schumacher, 91). 

Either Rosberg or Hamilton will break one record this season, no driver has ever won 8+ races in a season and not won the title.
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Technically VET could win the next two races and RIC DNF, and overtake him for third.
    Won't happen though, obviously.

And HAM should definately have been penalisd.
    You can't just cut the corner and gain 2-3 seconds !
    Tivers said:

Technically VET could win the next two races and RIC DNF, and overtake him for third.

Won't happen though, obviously.
    That was the scenario before Vettel's post-race penalty. Ricciardo now 55 points ahead.
    edited October 2016
    There's more chance of Vettel whinging than winning. That was one "A-grade" spray on the radio after the Verstappen incident.
    Oh................ SkyF1 hadn't updated the points table obviously when I added it up
  • WinsumlosesumWinsumlosesum    138 posts
    edited November 2016
    Fingers crossed rosberg finishes tonight!
  • octaviusoctavius    2,290 posts
    Gee Hamilton is a w@nker, I dont begrudge his tactics but after Rosberg had won the championship a little sportsmanship and humility would be nice, even if through gritted teeth.

Was a hell of a final dozen or so laps though!

Well done Rosberg, deserves the title and hopefully the rule changes bring Red Bull and Ferrari closer next year because 1 car domination is no good for the viewers.

Tivers, Winsumlosesum likes this post.

HAM is a first class flog.
    Whinges about reliability. Don't hear him returning his 2008 title he won the same way, or this years Monaco win to RIC after he was robbed by a pit crew F up (in turn gifting HAM the win and 7 bonus points).

Winsumlosesum likes this post.

octavius said:

Well done Rosberg, deserves the title ...
    I agree, he did all that was required in the final four races to wrap up the title. He didn't need to win, just needed to keep out of trouble. In the process, he breaks the record for the most races started to win his maiden F1 title (206), beating Nigel Mansell, who won his championship in 1992 in his 176th start.
    It would be fun to watch, but seriously doubt it will happen. Mercedes won't get rid of someone that has won them 31 races in the past three seasons and who is a little bit quicker than Rosberg generally in race conditions (31 wins to 20 since the start of 2014). If he was to be replaced, I assume though it would be Pascal Wehrlein not Stoffel Vandoorne that would get the drive, with Stoffel now under a long-term contract at McLaren Honda.

Personally, I'm not totally convinced on Wehrlein. Mercedes didn't rush to bump him further up the grid for next season, in either a Williams or Force India. The only options left appear to be either at Sauber or another season at Manor. In reality, Rio Haryanto wasn't that far behind him at Manor and Esteban Ocon on occasion also outperformed him, which I guess is one of the reasons Ocon ended up getting the drive at Force India Mercedes for 2017.

DRIVERS CONFIRMED FOR 2017
    MERCEDES: Rosberg, Hamilton
    RED BULL: Ricciardo, Verstappen
    FERRARI: Vettel, Raikkonen
    FORCE INDIA: Perez, Ocon
    WILLIAMS: Bottas, Stroll
    McLAREN: Alonso, Vandoorne
    RENAULT: Hulkenberg, Palmer
    HAAS: Grosjean, Magnussen
    TORO ROSSO: Kvyat, Sainz
    SAUBER: Ericsson, TBA
    MANOR: TBA, TBA
    Looking forward to seeing the Hulk at Renault, if they can get it together.
    Clean slate for everyone helps their cause - rather than coming in last minute when everyone else has had a few years head start.
    Bit sill of them really - should have just held back for next season to be their first.
    Nico Rosberg has just announced his retirement from Formula One.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/804679651134210049
  • jumjum    3,516 posts
    PAUL said:

Nico Rosberg has just announced his retirement from Formula One.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/804679651134210049

:-O

LuckyLongshots likes this post.

Unbelievable!!! Although I would retire as well rather than be teammates with " the first class flog "

jum, Tivers, LuckyLongshots, oldhendo likes this post.

My tip to replace - Sainz
  • LuckyLongshotsLuckyLongshots    4,270 posts
    edited December 2016
    Its amazing for him to retire at the top, but listening to him, he sounds like he has struggled the last few years when losing to Hamilton - and sounds like he was ready for the championship and retiring straight away.

Doesn't sound like he made the decision lightly or recently.

Not too different from Casey Stoner, he left MotoGP pretty much at the top.
    edited December 2016
    Tivers said:

I think with Toto's association with the Williams team (as a previous part-owner and now as a current engine supplier), my tip for the second Mercedes drive is Valtteri Bottas. It wouldn't cost a lot to buy out his contract at Williams, I believe he has one year remaining, plus if Williams receive something in return (i.e. an upgrade in the engine department or cheaper engines for next season), the deal could suit both parties.
    edited December 2016
    Williams won't be so keen with them having committed to an 18yo kid as their second driver.
    Let Bottas go to be replaced by ?
    Don't think they can afford to - at any price.

I see Mercedes same as Ferrari - why do they need to spend so much money to have two top (experienced, and expensive) drivers.
    Why not have one, plus a good kid ?
    Especially for Ferrari - as they're crap anyway. Red Bull goes for the younger drivers and beats them anyway.

So on that not - Wehrlein, or Sainz for me.
    And Wehrlein is awkward as already been looked over in favour of Ocon, so that leaves Sainz.

However................taking on board what I said above re Ferrari - perhaps they will be happy to let Vettel go (for a price $$$$$$) and grab Sainz themselves.
    Actually..............that seems very likely to me.
    Toto said they are considering Alonso. That would make things very interesting.
    edited December 2016
    PAUL said:

I think with Toto's association with the Williams team (as a previous part-owner and now as a current engine supplier), my tip for the second Mercedes drive is Valtteri Bottas. It wouldn't cost a lot to buy out his contract at Williams, I believe he has one year remaining, plus if Williams receive something in return (i.e. an upgrade in the engine department or cheaper engines for next season), the deal could suit both parties.

your right Bottas is the man!
    edited December 2016
    Yeah, it's almost certain now that Bottas will be at Mercedes next year, with Massa, according to a couple of motorsport websites, signing a contract to come out of retirement and be the lead driver at Williams.

Clearly, Wehrlein's season at Manor must not have rated too highly, with his late season teammate Ocon going to Force India; Williams not interested in taking Wehrlein as part of any driver swap and Mercedes not confident enough to put him in the second car alongside Hamilton.

Interestingly, Bottas would have served a similar apprenticeship to Rosberg, i.e. four years at Williams, before joining Mercedes.

Williams can't take Wehrlein.
    Can't have two novice drivers as their only drivers, and in a year where they're dealing with totally new specs.
    Same reason Mercedes can't promote him - can't risk Red Bull splitting the Mercs and potentially out scoring them ($$$$$$).
    Mind you - with how much Bottas will cost them v Wehrlein - not sure the net effect would be that great (other than to pride).
    Still think Sainz was the best option though.

edited January 2017
    Wehrlein confirmed at Sauber earlier this week and the company that runs Manor F1 has now been put into administration. Looks more than likely there will only be 20 cars on the grid for 2017.
    PAUL said:

DRIVERS FOR 2017
    MERCEDES: Hamilton, Bottas*
    RED BULL: Ricciardo, Verstappen
    FERRARI: Vettel, Raikkonen
    FORCE INDIA: Perez, Ocon
    WILLIAMS: Massa, Stroll
    McLAREN: Alonso, Vandoorne
    RENAULT: Hulkenberg, Palmer
    HAAS: Grosjean, Magnussen
    TORO ROSSO: Kvyat, Sainz
    SAUBER: Ericsson, Wehrlein