G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 36 Non Members
jumjum    3,512 posts

what is the going day rate of some trainers in WA. A trainer has told me it will cost me $2500 to train a horse in Port Hedland this season.

Is that a bit much or on the money.

What are the day rates of some of the top trainers in Perth now. ie Durrant, Andrews, Smith.

Comments

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    $65 to $85 per day plus GST is about the range. 
    then you get the add ons. 
    I find on average, its getting up close to $3000 a month to train a horse in town. 
    The more expensive trainers are up to $3500 a month. 
  • ShatterStarShatterStar    52 posts
    I have a bill from one of the above trainers in hand at present.

no change out of $4,300.00 including extras (transport ,strapper, ongoing vets )
  • spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
     Jum I think the standard rate is about $70.00 a day some more some less I was told the ata standard rate for WA was around $120.00 a day don't know how many trainers would be charging that though have heard a trainer who we hear on racing radio a lot is near that
  • ShatterStarShatterStar    52 posts
    To correct mine i should add it was GST inclusive...
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    the cheapest bill i get these days is about $2500-$2700. 
    Thats early on, not racing yet.. no vets, no issue, no treatments. 

frenc11 likes this post.

• LeglessLegless    5,108 posts
    edited May 2016
    last bill for a full month $4400 plus change

in work for a full month - no racing - $3300 plus change

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    edited May 2016

Thanks lads, some great information    

:-bd

It is a costly excerise, the sport we love. Thank Farrk the bride does not see the bills.

:D

thefalcon, notapunta, RIO likes this post.

mine did a few years back cost me a new washing machine and dryer

jum, Dale, The_Bull, thefalcon, everready likes this post.

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    spinking said:

Cheap escape

jum, Legless, spinking, thefalcon, Rex, Winsumlosesum, RIO likes this post.

• lamelame    1,757 posts
    Tivers said:

spinking said:

Cheap escape

Not if that new washer/dryer was a new bride :-/

spinking, RIO likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    ^^^^^^ :)) ...good one lame, careful, the "blue man" will get jealous....
  • notapuntanotapunta    938 posts
    It's not a huge earn when you think about it unless you're getting constant winners. Just out of curiosity how much would feed/supplements cost per day per horse?
    Do trainers pay the trackwork riders or does rwwa/pr?
    trainer pays nota
  • notapuntanotapunta    938 posts
    So say 3x horses at $75/day =$225/day,
    Less feed, less track work, less fees to maintain car/float, rent/ utilities. Would assume maybe trainers gets half of that then has to pay tax on it?
    Not really a shortcut to the Forbes 100 . Definitely not offering to pay more though O:-)

H-BOMBER, RIO, thefalcon likes this post.

in saying that nota think most trainers who would use trackwork riders pass that cost directly to owner in monthly bill

edited May 2016
    I can guarantee you that $70 a day does not cover costs.
    Only way is if trainer doing it all him / herself (incl the riding), not paying themselves a commercial wage, and owns the property (no rent).
    All others require winnings to come out ahead.

Tucool, notapunta likes this post.

• velcrocandyvelcrocandy    204 posts
    so that said Tivers, who is making  a profit out of this industry - not the trainers, not the majority of owners, not the race clubs, not RWWA it seems..................???

What is the solution ??

hash, LuckyLongshots likes this post.

RWWA makes plenty
    Jockeys make plenty
    (Some) Stallion owners make plenty
    Mel / Syd trainers make plenty (charge a LOT more than here, and cheaper costs).

In saying that.................we all go a lot better than UK / Euro participants.
    Just ask Alan (whereami..............)

the solution VELCRO be born very small like horses and have realy good balance or a sire that produces

RIO likes this post.

• silkysilky    342 posts
    Tivers said:

Only way is if trainer doing it all him / herself (incl the riding), not paying themselves a commercial wage, and owns the property (no rent).

Why is it that harness trainers can do it at lower costs when they have many of the same overheads and in general have to be trained harder and longer than a thoroughbred?
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,236 posts
    Probably because they have to. Given the discrepancies in prize money and general interest between trots and gallops they are probably forced to make it affordable or viable for people, or they will be out of the job?

LuckyLongshots likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts

trainers and jocks make the money in the industry....I'd be surprised if the top 50% of jockeys don't make a good living out of riding, and probably the top 25% of trainers. All the rest are relying on luck and secondary incomes.

Whereas I doubt if there is more than 5% of owners making it past break even...and the other 95% either have the money to spend and do it for an activity, or hold that small a percentage that the buzz of owning a horse is more important than worrying if the books are balanced!!

• LuckyLongshotsLuckyLongshots    4,270 posts
    For mine the risk vs return has gone above a reasonable level - given a majority percentage of horses don't cover costs, hard to justify a 40-50k investment.

10% syndicate shares are the only way for most people to have an interest in racehorse nowadays, otherwise you have to have won the lotto or be very rich!

As Tivers said above, jockeys and the TAB are probably the main winners in our industries, most others just fund them!

Rex likes this post.

silky said:

Tivers said:

Why is it that harness trainers can do it at lower costs when they have many of the same overheads and in general have to be trained harder and longer than a thoroughbred?
    Don't have to pay riders for starters ?
    And the horses go around 30 times a year.
  • silkysilky    342 posts
    Tivers said:

silky said:

Tivers said:

Don't have to pay riders for starters ?
    And the horses go around 30 times a year.
    The 2 things you mentioned aren't really reasons why harness trainers can do it at a lower cost. I understand what your saying with paying riders etc but they still employ stable hands. Also because pacers race much more than racehorses reasonable thinking would say that their training fees would be higher because of the more hours they put in?
  • RexRex    397 posts
    RIO said:

trainers and jocks make the money in the industry....I'd be surprised if the top 50% of jockeys don't make a good living out of riding, and probably the top 25% of trainers. All the rest are relying on luck and secondary incomes.

Whereas I doubt if there is more than 5% of owners making it past break even...and the other 95% either have the money to spend and do it for an activity, or hold that small a percentage that the buzz of owning a horse is more important than worrying if the books are balanced!!

Get a greyhound.

Legless, silky, CPL, RIO, notapunta likes this post.

• spruceysprucey    3 posts
    I've rarely had a bill under 4k the last couple years especially when their racing. to top it off that not even a city based trainer
  • trustygustytrustygusty    103 posts
    sprucey said:

I've rarely had a bill under 4k the last couple years especially when their racing. to top it off that not even a city based trainer

Out of curiosity sprucey, do you mean country trainer like Albany? Or just a lark hill type trainer?
  • CPLCPL    632 posts
    edited May 2016
    My training fees are zero.
    My Physio bills are zero.
    Transport zero.
    Medication zero.
    Farrier zero.
    Agistment zero.
    I've got greyhounds.
    Then the other half is I've got horses and do not look at the bills because I don't want to get depressed.

thefalcon, jum likes this post.

• spruceysprucey    3 posts
    yes very south country!!! not larkill trustygusty