G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 24 Non Members

WAFL DISGRACE

Sport
rooboyrooboy    1,421 posts
Not too many words can describe our WAFL tribunal apart from DISGRACE in how they constructed that meeting tonight!
10 games for a kid that would burning inside and out and his only concern is for Beau,they make this young man turn up to the tribunal.Seriously,this is what we call a freak accident that would happen 100 times a week around the country with nearly a free kick or play on!
Our thoughts are with you Mitchell and sending all our prayers for a speedy recovery to young Beau!

Comments

• MinesACoronaMinesACorona    184 posts
    A freak accident Roo, it happens every round all over the country. Young Mitchell will be in a bad place for a long time. The WAFL have added to this tough time. My thoughts to Mitchell and Prayers go to young Beau.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Any fair and reasonable person, regardless of the distressing outcome for Beau, will be aghast at this terrible miscarriage of justice. Watch the video.....I see not a milligram of malice involved, a dreadful decision.
  • spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    the entire WAFL tribunural needs to take a good look at itself absolute disgrace, this kid will be eating himself up with what occurred to Beau as if he isn't hurting enough without this disgraceful descision

thefalcon likes this post.

• bradybrady    1,452 posts
    The Tribunural
    Should get 10 weeks
    Terrible decision
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    that is truly a disgraceful decision by the WAFL.
    I would be going out in protest if I were a player. Who are these clowns? 
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    if you havent seen it, make up your own mind:

jum likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    So is every sling tackle now automatic 10 weeks :-??
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    I know it is not in the same category as young Beau Chatley who I wish all the very best but Tallan Ames the Captain from Swan Districts was heavily concussed in a worse sling tackle from WP player Laine Rasmussen who was reported less than 2 years ago that saw him stretchered off the ground and miss a week or 2 of footy and yet the same Tribunal Chairman let Rasmussen off from his subsequent report despite the WP player pleading guilty to the charge?
    Bizarre verdict!

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited July 2016
    I hear that the lad, through his manager, Paul Peos, is not appealing the decision, out of respect to Beau. Whilst I understand that decision and accept that is a very magnanimous and admirable call, and shows superb character from Mitchell, in no way should  it be seen as an affirmation of the appalling decision made by the tribunal. Manjimup is a football crazy town, it has the highest participation rate per head of population of any town in Australia, every one has an opinion, and given the circumstances, I could understand any "square up" type reaction in response to Beau's dreadful situation. I speak to a lot of people in our football community and I have not come across a single person who thinks the penalty issued is anything other than totally ridiculous, unfair and as someone else said, just bizarre. There are no winners in this situation, the tribunal has made sure of that.All strength to both of these young men.

rooboy, Gilgamesh, TheDiva, jum, spinking likes this post.

• rooboyrooboy    1,421 posts
    edited July 2016

Agree with every word Jay Jay.Been to Manjimup many times to watch my nephew play and then went on to be very successful for the Falcons!Thats how I became a Falcon supporter going to many games South to North watching him play.The hate and toughness of both sides (before the Eagles) were games you just did not want to miss as supporters and players were at each other's throats!I now have this weird feeling(hope) that these 2 teams will respect one another off and on the field after this unfortunate incident!

I am still mad as hell with these peanuts that landed down Mitchell's penalty and all they have done is made a kid feel guilty of a crime than give 100% support for Mitchell as there is in no way on God's earth WP would allow him to play until Beau's recovery is back on the mend!

There are times and places you peanuts could of dealt with this issue.All you had to do was sit down with EP and WP and you would see the compassion these clubs have which you surely lack!

JayJay, thefalcon likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited July 2016
    ^^Agree @Rooboy some of the WP/EP games before Eagles came into being in 1987 were as good as football you could wish to see. Huge followings both clubs.Was one eyed East Perth but had massive respect for West Perth. An honour to witness those games. Leederville Oval and Perth Oval were graced with champions from both teams.
    edited July 2016
    Only off the top of the head...combined EP/WP team from the mid 70s to mid 80s (before Eagles ). Apologies to many great players left out...
    Backs...Gibbs Malarkey Curtis
    Half Back...Prunster Glendinning Bryant
    Centres...Menaglio Whinnen Kelly
    Half forward...Spencer Adamson Stasinowsky
    Full forwards...Valli Duda Otway
    First ruck...Mculloch Watling Fong
    Interchange from Day Arnold Smith Alexander Walsh Miller Ironmonger J.Duckworth.
    Coach Polly Farmer .

VillageKid likes this post.

Barry Cable,  Bradley Smith, Mal Brown, Alan Quartermaine, George and Richard Michalczyk, John Hayes, Ken McAulay, John Burns, Grant Campbell, Bill Dempsey, Barry Day, Norm Knell, Shane Sheridan, John Duckworth, Brian Pleitner, Dean Warwick, John Gastev, Paul Mifka, Geoff Hendriks, Shane Sheridan.....what an era it was. Pretty good selection Riders but I think Cabes might slip in somewhere lol

Ridersonthestorm33, VillageKid likes this post.

edited July 2016
    Geoff Hendricks made his debut at 16 from memory. Was back page headlines. Remember when channel seven sponsored Cable for the day at Perth Oval and he wore the number 7 with a circle around it. Long before the days of 'Whiskers' Hocking at Geelong. George Michalczyk was a great player..both teams too.

VillageKid, JayJay likes this post.

edited July 2016
    JJ the only name I can't recall is Brian Pleitner how good was he ? Just remember John Burns before he went to North Melbourne. But apparently he was outstanding. Alan Quatermaine Sandover Medal winner. John Ironmonger was a underrated ruckman..also a Sandover winner went to the Sydney Swans.
    I am a Swans man but those are some great footy names you have both mentioned Riders & JJ from the halcyon era of WA Footy.
    A couple of others from both sides worth a mention were WP- Corry Bewick, Darren Bewick, Ian Logan, Derek Kickett, Phil Bradmore, Bill Duckworth, Shane Fitzsimmons, Ben Jager & EP- Larry Kickett, John McGuire, Alex Hamilton, Michael Christian, Craig Starcevich, Alex Ishchenko, John Dimmer, David Bain, Brett Stephens, Glen Bartlett and many others from both sides.

edited July 2016
    I remember a time when we actually beat Swans in the 80s it was Bunbury 1984...first game of the year...EP were underdogs and got up! One of the very early games played in the country think it was Hands Oval Bunbury. Swans went on and won the Premiership. East Perth lost the first semi to Claremont.

VillageKid, spinking likes this post.

Larry Kickett EP Derek Kickett WP and John McGuire EP 3 outstanding aboriginal footballers. There was another aboriginal at EP Arnold Cox who on his day was as good a player as anybody. Ex Swan Districts player Robert Solin was also handy for EP.
    This thread could go on for ages lol...wonderful nostalgia. Brian Pleitner was a huge man who could run like hell, usually through other players...played on a wing opposed to Gary "The Flea" Gillespie one day...was hilarious. He wouldn't last 5 minutes these days. Have left out Big Ron Alexander.
    John McGuire was a very gifted sportsman (footy and cricket)  and an even better bloke....knew him very well from my days in Northam...it was a disgrace that he was never selected to play cricket for WA when he was scoring weekly centuries playing for Mt Lawley. Knew his Dad big Steve McGuire who worked for the Water Corp in Northam and of course younger brother Oral who was a star for Perth and THE best junior footballer I've ever seen......as a young kid, he was a genius.
    edited July 2016
    Yes I remember it well Riders that was actually the first time I ever saw us lose to EP believe it or not as we were a dominant side when I started following footy as a young pup in 1980.
    The complete opposite to this year unfortunately! X(
    Steven Smeath flying down the wing!
    I'm sure I heard on the 93.1fm sports show during the week was after last weeks game both WP and EP have kicked the same amount of goals against each other.3,740 goals each!

Ahh there is some great names above!
    edited July 2016
    Was going to go to Bunbury with my parents but said to them I'm not going all that way to watch them get mauled by the black and whites again. Channel 7 telecast the game live it seemed a great atmosphere fairly tight all game. It was just a game I gave EP no chance. The fact Swans won the premiership that year their 3rd in a row showed how good a side they were.

I heard that stat as well Rooboy incredible to think after what must be over 120 years of fiercely competing against each other that they have kicked the exact same amount of goals!
    You young pups bahaha ....my first Grand Final was in 1958...Royals won by a couple of points in a thriller....low scoring game. Don't remember much except Polly and a very young copper at Full Back....Johnny Watts.....and Tom Everett played alongside future test cricketer Neil Hawke. Caught the train to West Leederville with my Dad early in the morning....and ran to the ground to get a decent spot to watch from. We went back to Perth Oval after we won and I remember there were silly old blokes drinking beer from kegs positioned all over the oval. Buggered if I know how we got home, the old man would have been nice and elephants!!! I spent the night getting autographs.
    I remember when the time clock on the outer wing at Perth Oval stopped working during the last quarter against West Perth 1984...East Perth were just a kick down...it was tight for the entire quarter...and every time EP kicked a goal the ground announcer would call out how long there was to go...a full grandstand was rocking..EP were just a few points down late..and he would scream through the P.A....'Theres 2 mins to go!!! Players and crowd pumped! East Perth win it in the final few seconds..Dennis Commetti then coach of WP was fair dinkum furious that the ground announcer 'lifted' EP over the line. Think he was also highly suspicious of why the time clock wasn't working. Was funny to read his column even back then in 1984. But he wasn't happy that's for sure.

Captain/Coached by the legendary Jack Sheedy too JJ who had moved over from Old Easts. Square Kilmurray would have played for EP that day too and maybe the tough old Mal Atwell did as well?
    I will come out of the closet and admit I was an EP fan in my earlier years and Jay I hardly missed a game in the 70s and 80s at Perth Oval and you reminded me about a young copper called Archie Duda.
    Myself and my mates would always be in the middle of the stand singing something like this.............Archie Duda kick a bag Duda Duda Archie Duda is our man oh Duda day!
    I'm glad I have grown up!Haha.
    But I would not give up those days for quids!

Young Mal Atwell......now there's a bloke who could run...professionally I mean.....and he was made out of wandoo and all angles and bones and when he ran into someone, they stayed run into...gave as good as he got. Yep, Square played that day...and Charlie Walker from Manjimup, who only died a few years back. One of the strongest men I've ever seen. Even in his "veteran years", he could hoist a huge bag of spuds onto his shoulders...couldn't kick over a date pip but tough as teak. Ironically, as this thread stared out about Beau Chatley, Charlie played for Jardee which morphed into Beau's home club, the Manjimup Tigers. Paul Seal and Butcher Bellos also in that team and a gifted aboriginal lad called Billy Mose, who I think...don't quote me...kicked a 100 goals that year....my Dad's favourite player of the time.....Better than Polly said Dad...but I think he only played a couple of seasons. I remember feeling devastated when Poll headed to Geelong a few years later...and Wattsie.....needed counseling I did.

edited July 2016
    East Perth lost a lot of players to other WAFL clubs in the 80s..I was fuming! Paul Arnold went to South. George Michalczyk to WP. John Hayes to South. Chris Allen to Swans. Peter Spencer to Subi before returning back to EP. Craig Edwards to South. A few others too. Stephen Curtis was lost to SA.
    Phil Kelly, Richard Michalczyk, Ross Glendinning, John Burns and Peter Spencer to North Melbourne, Ironmonger, Richard Dennis, Big Ron, Brett Stephen, David Bain.....the list goes on, it ripped the heart out of the place.