In this Discussion

Who's Online

1 Members & 23 Non Members

I don't want Nick Kyrgios representing my country, Australia

Sport

Comments

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    edited July 2021
    Maybe slightly controversially he may miss the Olympics later this month but in the covid times he has avoided that mess mostly so i'm not critical if he doesn't go...and that's not the reason for my post though, this tweet from an english racing analyst actually, commenting on Wimbledon and about Nick sums him up perfectly and the perception by quite a few still.

"Kyrgios has truly ticked the "winning at life" box, and that's why perhaps he still cops so much stick.
    Rocks up at a slam after 6 months, collects a min 400K, whacks a few balls, get's cheered, Uber eats, glasses of red and playstation with the mrs all night" 
    :)) A GOLD tweet i thought and 100% spot on.

I WAS a big knocker and still feel a bit frustrated that a possible slam winner doesn't want to win one but that's his call and i'm ok with it, he has mellowed enough on court after a rocky couple of years, does some great things off the court for the less priveleged and on it is aside from the top 3 guys the most entertaining player on the court by a big space.Even the greats it get's a bit monotonous them always winning, this guy dgaf he fears noone even gives them some lip at times(though loves rog a little bit), just does it his way and is great to watch.

Also he has cleaned up any non competing antics which i do NOT like, the Kyrgios 2.0 of these days always fights to the death.

detonator likes this post.

• detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    100% spot on TS. I have barely looked at Wimbledon so far. Djokovic will win it by the length of the straight and I haven’t even seen Fed and Barty hit a ball yet.
    But Kyrgios does add interest at interviews and his game style etc. Wimbledon tennis very boring otherwise especially in the first week.
    I have become comfortable with Nicks “lay back” approach to tennis.
    As long as he doesn’t flip out and make controversial statements and disrespects the game I can live with that.
    Reckon he has won a lot of fans over even doing it “his own way”. 
    Hope he goes deep. 

Thunderstruck likes this post.

Bloody oath me too mate also comfortable with 99% of what he does and is much improved in manner whilst still an edgy guy which i think helps him and the crowd love it, the man is a big entertainer and super talented off limited err "preps".

Honourable mention to a couple of journeymen aussie players in Thompson who has had 2 good wins think Duckworth too has made it through while De Minaur flops in Rd 1.I

Also have not watched much play and tbh whilst i like Novak i don't watch him much because it all become a bit predictable, unless your sure he is playing someone like Nick who will at least give him a run and rile him up a bit LOL.
    Will watch some matches tonight though i think.
    Nek minute Nick retires injured at a set all.Was all over the Canadian dude in set 1 too, what a blow.
    Crowds fkn love him too.
  • detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    Shame about Kyrgios. Obviously a genuine injury. 
    Unlike Fed who pulled out of the French to save himself for Wimbledon. But that is ok because “Sir Roger “ can do what he likes without criticism.

• licklick    305 posts
    He's still a flogger.  Always be a better person than a better sportsman.

oldhendo likes this post.