G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 31 Non Members
Sad news hearing that Peter (Porky) Graham passed away on Saturday night.
RIP Peter, the struggle is over.
Condolences to his family.
+1 -1

Tucool, spinking likes this post.

Comments

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Recall going to many country meetings in young days and having some nice results on Peter Graham trained horses. A larger than life character. Condolences.

Rex, spinking likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    Sad news Rex.Like you said riders larger than life character fell foul of the stewards on more than one occasion.Heard a story once about porky and Bob Myers driving to kalgoorlie and eating 24 pies between them might been each thinking about the size of them

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    A colourful racing identity was he who absolutely "hated" a bet.....don't quite think the general public is ready for the Porky Graham story but many good bits as well and a lot of humour. Remember Sovereign Ghost, Stunning Sam and Village something or other. Not a shy man...think he was the grandfather of former Eagle Jaymie Graham and that he raised him. It is always a bit sad when the old boys move on. What age would Porky have been? .....guessing mid to late 70's. Could train, thats for sure.

Ridersonthestorm33, spinking likes this post.

Recall following Porky to the tote window sometimes! Sovereign Ghost is a name I remember for sure.

spinking likes this post.

edited December 2016
    Remember being at Northam races @Spinking...if it wasn't Craig Wakes' first day of riding was very close to it...he had about 3 or 4 rides for Bob Meyers this day. Meyers intently but also encouragingly giving him his instructions. Little fella Craig - pee-wee was his knick name. Don't think any of them won at Northam but two or three were placed and at good odds. Perfect rides. Meyers was rapt. Was also at Ascot years later on his tragic final day - last race of the card and of the Ascot season.

• DillingerDillinger    43 posts
    saw P.G Graham at Leinster 1 day . Think he had runners in 5 of the 6 races there.Tipped me a couple & of course they got beat . He won 3 races on the day ... 

JayJay, Ridersonthestorm33, spinking likes this post.

Was prett good mates with Wakey Riders me and him went to Kal one day in Bobs float he was riding I was strapping Bob had a horse for one of the ladies up there Juanita her name was if I remember correctly ah the
    Memories Riders Wakey could steer alright to boot

edited December 2016
    Spinking can you remember a horse named 'Wizardry' that Bob Meyers trained..think Craig Wake won about 5 or 6 times on him..got the picket fence next to his name one prep after being a little bit hard to follow up until then. One day at Belmont Park over about 2100 metres never seen a horse go that fast from barrier to box! Rocket Racer excepted. Maybe around early 80s.

spinking, rosco likes this post.

Vaguely remember the horse Riders. Meyers had the stable in Epsom ave at the time Kiwi lodge. Last time I saw him he was as skinny as a match , He had some good horses back in the day , Bridge of friendship and Great Cat come to mind . I think he ended up in witness protection for a while, some tales come out of that place Riders

I bet there would be some tales.
  • FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts
    edited December 2016
    Pretty sure Great Cat was trained by Gerry van Eyck (spelling may be wrong) from Albany way for the majority of his career.

• ciscocisco    805 posts
    Gee you blokes have some great old stories - keep them coming!!!

Ridersonthestorm33, jum likes this post.

edited December 2016
    A very good trainer Gerry Van Eyck was in the Deep South. Would venture up to the city with good results. Sadly left us too I think. Ken Dawson another good trainer from down there around that era. Had a handy horse named Gopago. John Askevold another - still training in Albany had a good stayer Muromoon who improved out of sight to start one of the favourites in a Perth Cup. Think was placed.
  • psychopsycho    652 posts

Remember being at Northam races @Spinking...if it wasn't Craig Wakes' first day of riding was very close to it...he had about 3 or 4 rides for Bob Meyers this day. Meyers intently but also encouragingly giving him his instructions. Little fella Craig - pee-wee was his knick name. Don't think any of them won at Northam but two or three were placed and at good odds. Perfect rides. Meyers was rapt. Was also at Ascot years later on his tragic final day - last race of the card and of the Ascot season.

Have a feeling that Craig Wakes last race ride (the fateful one) was the last race of the day at Belmont but will stand corrected
    You are probably right there Fastmoney a lot lager has gone under the bridge since then.Here is a tale PeeWee and a good mate of his who also rode at the same time, both had a habit of driving pretty quick, through this penchant for speed one of them done there. Drivers license. Now let's say it was Wakey who done his license , on the way to Northam one day the other fella gets pulled over for speeding hands over his license cops his wack drives on . Half hour later Wakey gets pulled over in the merc he brought of Meyers for speeding by the same cop guess who he said he was , Imagine the surprise on wakeys face when copper responds that's funny picked him up for speeding half hour ago

• FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts
    edited December 2016
    Because both horses were mentioned, thought it was worth re posting the worst protest reversal in racing history.

http://www.perthturftalk.com.au/discussion/discussion/comment/278836/#Comment_278836.

Ridersonthestorm33, spinking likes this post.

edited December 2016
    No names no pack drill - remember one country trainer down Albany telling us not to go near the favourite in race 1 - had been drinking water all morning - ran accordingly - but do you think I could back the winner - not on your nelly! Worked down Albany in the 80s and met hoops Wayne and Craig Fox and Glen 'Mully' Craig. Likeable rogues they were! Trainer Peter Western another, still training a few down Albany today. One of the nicest down to earth blokes you could meet. Sometimes he would bring one to Pinjarra , Bunbury or to Perth and invariably they would run well. Sound Of Sarab recall winning a few around the place. Think he won with Zipabout at a decent price at Belmont Park at a midweek meeting too. Very good horsemen many of the Albany trainers.

Think Psycho and riders are both right about it being the last race think the horse was called pegs magic Pegamystic something like that

All blokes you talk about good fellas Riders top bloke mulley Craig trained a grey horse years back went real good can't think of it at the moment

100% sure was Ascot @Pyscho - seven days later was at Belmont. Remember it well because Danny Miller rode the winner of the ill fated race. Had something on it but was also on a Jeremy Hustwitt roughie for a place...dived at third but just missed by a whisker. Went down to the mounting enclosure just to see if Jeremy thought he got third - not knowing at the time the seriousness of the fall. All very surreal now and remember Craig Wake proudly mounting his horse and going out onto the track.

psycho, spinking likes this post.

edited December 2016
    That was the worst protest decision in history - no doubt. Everybody was sort of dazed and in deep shock it was that bad. ( Great Cat / Bridge Of Friendship )

edited December 2016
    It's strange though how remembered being shattered the Jeremy Hustwitt mount didn't get the photo for third...about the 600 - 800 metre mark a young bloke is fighting for his life - sort of put things in perspective for me as I left the course.

• DesperadoDesperado    119 posts
    spinking said:

All blokes you talk about good fellas Riders top bloke mulley Craig trained a grey horse years back went real good can't think of it at the moment

Extracts the horse was called

• jumjum    3,512 posts

EXTRACTS :\">

One of my best days on a racecourse the day he won at Ascot on Fruit and Veg day as it was called back then.

Had Extracts into Summer Beau into Sounds of Legends into Willoughby. Had them every way possible. Willoughby got rolled on the line which would have bought me a new car back then.

But the other three won and it was a massive day. I backed a few others that day from memory. But those four I will never forget

spinking, Offthebit likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    didn't porky train a horse called Vintage Dance? I remember it well...... ;)

Rex likes this post.

• tofarkennardtofarkennard    177 posts
    Craig wakes last ride was on a horse called Pegamiss at ascot lasts race a late replacement for indisposed J.Berry raced in all black club colours clipped heels of leader troy jackmans mount Brendan clements mount Tartoor went over top nearly died himself ... know this as I strapped pegamiss !
    I rode sovereign ghost in a track gallop one morning for P G in KAL round time was told to trot in opposite direction to the 800 turn him around he do the rest he sent a maiden out with me Lannie Bell in the saddle. .turned him at 800 the old grey took off at a speed that made my eyes water leaving the maiden n LB a good 5 length behind. ...100 from post maiden strode past me under a hold asked PG maidens name he told me TIPAWAY unfortunately for PG in took notice of its clover shaped brand when it came into mount yard in a maiden race hannens day n I seen brand I quickly grabbed the 7/1 before TWIG RULER bolted in at 2/1on with m.sestich in saddle
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    ^^ love those stories, mate... =D>

tofarkennard likes this post.

PG loved to use 3kg app and give em a nice spray if they got beat rusty hannson Andrew carless Johnny king jamie baine Andrew curley Johnny reagan all good Kal riders to cop his wrath. ...he could really resurrect a good old galloper.

curmudgeon, savethegame likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    P G loved a good game of cards under the peppercorn trees in the Scobie Kingston corner of the KBRC.....especially if he had just paid the staff and got it all back off them within 2 hours ...bwahahahaaa...glory days.

tofarkennard, savethegame likes this post.