G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 32 Non Members

Harness : No more whips

Harness & Greyhounds
https://www.punters.com.au/news/Trots-to-harness-whip-free-racing_155823/.

Australian harness racing is banning the use of whips in training and racing from 1 September 2017 in a world-leading animal welfare initiative that improves the industry’s image and enhances its sustainability.

The
decision sets the pace in animal welfare and for the long-term support
and sustainability of the industry. It aligns with high expectations of
the community, fans, and industry participants in harness racing.

The
announcement which followed the jewel event on the Australasian harness
racing calendar yesterday – the Inter Dominion in Perth – makes
Australia the first country in the world to voluntarily ban the whip.

The
whip ban broadens Harness Racing Australia’s (HRA) world leadership
position in the industry, which is already established through a
wide-ranging welfare agenda, including zero-tolerance to prohibited
substances in racing.

The Chairman of HRA, Mr Geoff Want, said
today: “The whip ban decision was not taken lightly, but was made on our
own initiative because we believe it is the right decision at the right
time.

We have been moving down this path for six years by limiting its use with a strong focus on health and welfare of horses.

“We
see the ban as a vital way of demonstrating our responsibility as an
industry, and to earning and maintaining the social acceptance and
sustainability of harness racing”.

HRA Executive meeting
yesterday unanimously agreed to the implementation details of the ban,
following the proactive initiative of members at the Annual General
Meeting of Harness Racing Australia last October.

The Executive
also gave detailed consideration to the likely effect of the ban on
harness racing audiences and the punting public.

“We are strongly
of the belief that the improved image of our sport will add to the
appeal of our racing product and be broadly welcomed by fans,” said Mr
Want. “We are confident that wagering turnover will not be impacted and
indeed a number of professional punters have indicated support for the
ban”.

The implementation of the ban from 1 September 2017, will allow for a program of awareness, education, and research and monitoring to be undertaken across the industry.

The
program will embrace the education of drivers and horses. It will also
include a major research task to ensure safety is maintained when
drivers do not have a whip to control unexpected horse movements.

Mr
Want said many drivers were concerned that control over a horse would
be curtailed without a whip, especially when horses shy (leap sideways)
or back up. He said HRA Executive accepted the challenges the ban
presented for ensuring safety was maintained for drivers, people,
horses, trainers, stablehands, and people nearby.

“Between now
and the implementation of the whip ban, we will consult widely in the
industry, especially with drivers and trainers, and with animal welfare
advocates, such as the RSPCA,” Mr Want said.

“Whatever tool
evolves from this process it will only be allowed to avoid or guide a
horse out of a dangerous situation to itself, other horses, drivers or
anyone nearby.

“It will definitely be banned from use to urge a
horse to better perform, and strict penalties will apply for any
breaches of its use.

“Undoubtedly, some people may resist
change, or feel the decision limits competitiveness in harness racing.
We are confident they will be proved wrong and will eventually see the
merit of banning the whip,” he said.

"We know some drivers are
concerned about safety issues, but we feel the process of developing a
tool to maintain safety will allay concerns.

“There is ample
evidence the whip is not needed in our industry and that its use to
enhance racing performance is questionable,” he said. “If no driver uses
a whip then no driver has a perceived advantage – each race will be
conducted on a level playing field, have a fair winner and horse welfare
will be enhanced”.

Mr Want said animal welfare would continue to
be addressed during the transition to banning the whip, and the
industry would seek input from the RSPCA going forward.

CEO of
the RSPCA Australia, Ms Heather Neil, commended the HRA’s leadership,
and said: “This is a powerful sign that the harness racing industry is
both listening to its stakeholders, and acknowledging the concerns of
the wider community.

“As Harness Racing Australia has
recognised, racing should celebrate quality horsemanship, breeding and
training - whips shouldn’t come into it”.

Mr Want said: “Our
members have a considerate and ethical equine welfare agenda and rules,
and we do a great deal to enforce rigorous animal welfare protocols. The
whip ban is part of continued improvements.

“For example, we
have just appointed our inaugural Equine Health & Welfare
Coordinator to benchmark states, review policy, manage disease and
quarantine, and clear international horse movements”.

Australia’s leading driver – and 11-times winner of the national drivers’ championship – Chris Alford said he supported the ban.

“Drivers
are very sensitive to their horses and appreciate and support moves to
ensure high standards of animal welfare that are aligned with community
expectations,” he said.

“We also know that a shying horse is a
danger to itself, drivers, people and other horses nearby. I fully
support the decision to ban the whip, plus maintain safety for all
involved”..

Comments

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    No doubt will meet with strong opposition from certain quarters but the end result is inevitable and has been for some time.

At least it is being handled by the industry and not legislation which would be the next step.
  • OffthebitOffthebit    597 posts
    edited December 2016
    This is a joke. They have caved in too the hairy armpit women brigade who contribute nothing to our industry. ~X(
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts

Next in line is the collar and leads on greyhounds.

There is a disturbing sexual innuendo attached to watching a submissive animal being loaded in a box against its will and a tsunami of public opinion is calling for administrators to make sure dogs are taken to start point and caught post race using only a pleasant whistle and slap of the thigh whilst yelling out ...here Charlie here Queenie...you get the picture.

Also a backlash is mounting against all racing code administrators. The perception of them being overweight pasty faced boozers and appeasers completely devoid of hands on experience in their respective fields is grooming a pre emptive call designed to ban them using cars until all fall into acceptable skin fold territory ...the sight of all that red wine being spilled down the shirts of the uber gutted is just too poor an image for Joe Public to continue to  bear and must cease reflecting poorly on the racing industry forthwith.

savethegame, tofarkennard likes this post.

• CPLCPL    632 posts
    Next in line will be the thoroughbreds not collar and leads.

savethegame likes this post.

• tofarkennardtofarkennard    177 posts
    Hopefully the gooddoers have big green lush paddocks to put all the well fed/treated racehorses that no longer have to give there best efforts on race day without a padded stick to remind them of there job on raceday if they dont they could end up at knacery !!

curmudgeon, Offthebit, paraletic likes this post.

• licklick    305 posts
    Also, the track should be inspected prior to each race to ensure there are no ants or other insects that might suffer, plus the horses should wear a mask to avoid fumes from the mobile barrier, and wear raincoats in wet conditions and UV sunglasses in sunny weather, ear muffs to protect from the commentary on the loudspeakers, wear cushioned safety footwear, and offer counselling if they don't win, drivers to wear sanitised plastic gloves, replace the bell with a soft calming tone, and all horses get a ribbon after each race. Pathetic decision by pathetic people pandering to a pathetic minority. I'd buy two beers to console myself, but can only get one at a time after 15 minutes.
  • Rocket_ReignRocket_Reign    841 posts
    Counselling if they don't win... That's brilliant haha
  • tofarkennardtofarkennard    177 posts
    Shouldn't mention it in case give dogooders ideas.but hows a little flick whip compared to a flank rope n spurs on rodeo curcit....I hold no qualms with rodeo just seems they pick there fights the dogooders! !!

Offthebit likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,630 posts
    Not taking sides here but if you look back at some of the past drivers who were considered to be ace reinsmen.....Brian Hancock and others for example, some of the footage makes me wince. They gave horses an absolute flogging and I thought it was totally unacceptable back then and still do. Now, we have come an awful long way from those days but driving styles like that made it inevitable that we would end up where we are today. Anyone who gave our horses a belting never ever sat behind them again.....and they included some who were considered top drivers. So, mixed feelings about this....I can't stand the PETA types out there and over the top RSPCA zealots, I know how well 99% of horses in training are looked after and wish those loonies would go away ...but they won't...but we will survive. Being proactive may simply have headed off the storm that was going to be inevitable. I even winced a few times on Friday night watching some of the over the top aggression on horse with no chance of placing...no names, no pack drill but there are 2 in particular that I would never ever employ.
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts

Hopefully the gooddoers have big green lush paddocks to put all the well fed/treated racehorses that no longer have to give there best efforts on race day without a padded stick to remind them of there job on raceday if they dont they could end up at knacery !!

It's not their 'job'. They are essentially slaves and we exploit them for our own entertainment. I'm a punter so I'm part of the 'problem' but let's call it for what it is, Racehorses have no choice about what they do.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,788 posts
    COMMUNITY STANDARDS HAVE CHANGED;To right mr  want  the purchase of handguns will be through the roof by normal aussies  on the black market,  purely because a encounter with drug fuelled zombie, is a real concern.  
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,236 posts
    Whatever the outcome may be, to hear that leading participants in the sport haven't been consulted regarding this perceived issue is amateurish at best. I find that unbelievable.

Offthebit, savethegame, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts
    edited December 2016
    Unfortunately racing administrators are being effected by their exposure to on line activism and they are perceiving it as what the community wants.

The recent NSW decision to close greyhound racing and the subsequent Orange by election backlash, showed that it was clearly not what the community wants.( Nationals leader removed and a seat held by the Nationals for 74 years lost).

Administrators think that involving the RSPCA in welfare decisions gives the decisions more credibility when the opposite is the case.

The RSPCA has become an activist group and a recent Victoria inquiry reported that they should stop their activism role and concentrate on the protection of animals.

The RSPCA has regularly stated that they don`t support Racing in any code.

Whats seems to be lost in all these "welfare" decisions is that 99% of animals in the 3 racing codes  could not be looked after better.

All that is heard, by the general public, is the on line activist view and the subsequent reaction by racing administrators.

Racing needs strong leadership to address the on going issues raised by activists and be totally aware that the activist sole aim is for racing to cease.

Unfortunately recent decisions by the current administrators shows they are unable to grasp what is really going on.

They didn't consult participants because they knew the response would be a negative one. How could they then be able to run with this ridiculous decision knowing they didn't have the backing of the participants?

Just when we thought the mike baird greyhound racing ban was one of the most stupidest decisions of all time, along comes mr went with the whip ban. The arrogance of the man to announce this decision the morning after the inters final, while the sport was basking in the afterglow of a great series, proves how out of touch this man is. He sounds proud about the fact that Australia is the first country to make this bold decision. Mr went needs to ask himself why no country in the world has ever made a decision like this before. Because its blood stupid idea!!!!!! That's why.

How can HRA come to such a monumental decision without consulting men like mark purdon and gary hall snr, and probably many more prominent trainers, is absolutely mind boggling. 

I still don't actually know why it has been banned. I'm thinking his main point was "animal welfare". Give me a spell. What an idiot!! Was he watching the inters final Friday night? If he was he would have seen mark purdon give his horse 6 love taps with the whip and lift his horse off the canvas to win in an epic struggle up the straight. Was any viewer offended by the way purdon drove his horse to the line?

More importantly, does anyone with half a brain truly think those 6 love taps put the horses welfare at risk?  

curmudgeon, savethegame likes this post.

99% Of the industry is being tarnished  by very small  group Australia -wide.I have had real issues with two reinsman in.w.a. probably by now should have had to show cause,why  the should be allowed to participate.Will go over what needs to take place a reinsman that breaks rule on two occasions is to drive without whip for 3 months does it again 12mths second time, then life ban.We all make mistakes,but gee when gavin lang goes for it,your in trouble.Brain gath has always said you don,t need to be hurting them to show there best.Chris Alford  is  in support .The whip has to be carried to alleviate very dangerous situations for horse and driver,that arise on different occasions .Trainers that use bushwork ,will tell you how having whip or  a stick has saved them in tappin shafts, discs,to avoid dogs, snakes, and what else the horse  sees  as a predator in there   355 degrees,field of vision. 
    Offthebit said:

They didn't consult participants because they knew the response would be a negative one. How could they then be able to run with this ridiculous decision knowing they didn't have the backing of the participants?

Just when we thought the mike baird greyhound racing ban was one of the most stupidest decisions of all time, along comes mr went with the whip ban. The arrogance of the man to announce this decision the morning after the inters final, while the sport was basking in the afterglow of a great series, proves how out of touch this man is. He sounds proud about the fact that Australia is the first country to make this bold decision. Mr went needs to ask himself why no country in the world has ever made a decision like this before. Because its blood stupid idea!!!!!! That's why.

How can HRA come to such a monumental decision without consulting men like mark purdon and gary hall snr, and probably many more prominent trainers, is absolutely mind boggling. 

I still don't actually know why it has been banned. I'm thinking his main point was "animal welfare". Give me a spell. What an idiot!! Was he watching the inters final Friday night? If he was he would have seen mark purdon give his horse 6 love taps with the whip and lift his horse off the canvas to win in an epic struggle up the straight. Was any viewer offended by the way purdon drove his horse to the line?

More importantly, does anyone with half a brain truly think those 6 love taps put the horses welfare at risk?  

Could not have put it any better Offthebit.   G Want is away with the fairies and a duplicitous character I deduce from the interview. G Hall snr was straight up and D Borovica played semantics and said nothing. I know who I would buy a used car off out of those three.

savethegame, Offthebit likes this post.

edited December 2016
    Interesting that SNR mentioned Geoff Want`s wife was effected by the whip use.

Similarly Mike Baird was effected by the Four Corners Greyhound program and no doubt his family and friends as well (his sister is a Senior Editor at the ABC).

This is a strategy of the activists, to engage with high profile people and their friends and family and then influence their decision making.

Offthebit, curmudgeon likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    it will never go thru lads, already talk of strikes etc and when and if this happens all and sundry soil their pants and cave in.

curmudgeon likes this post.

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    Hitler was popular too. That didn't make him right.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,890 posts
    Just on a light hearted note on this topic

Brian Gath sure wishes this rule was around in the late 60s early 70s - it would have saved him a flogging !!!

Because there was a particular race where  after watching the patrol film reinsman Don Dove ( of Monara fame who won back to back AG Hunter Cups ) was charged and disqualified  by stewards for 12 months for belting Brian Gath with his whip during a big race in Melb . Gathy eased him out of the running line - and Donny Dove didnt like it - and he said cop this mate
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    There was a Steven Dove who drove too...possibly Dons son.

matt likes this post.

Humour aspect b.gath could cut the ones off on his inside,and then the  ones to his outside  within twenty metres no whip needed in the drive to the line.

It speaks volumes for the arrogance of Want when he used the immediate post Hunter Cup limelight to announce the police investigation/arrests in Victoria which turned out to be a pathetic storm in a teacup and now the Interdom  wind down period to announce HRA policy change that is born of spectacular ignorance and appeasement of a vocal minority.

It's all about me time for this bloke it seems.......bugger all the people involved in actually presenting,promoting and policing iconic harness events.......I will just piggyback off their hard work with my ill conceived more holes than swiss cheese press announcements and pour scorn and indictment in equal measure upon the industry and its participants. Disgraceful 

savethegame, Offthebit likes this post.

Dead right curmudgeon.;Want would be a brownlow medallist  equivalent   as a photo bomber . 

It speaks volumes for the arrogance of Want when he used the immediate post Hunter Cup limelight to announce the police investigation/arrests in Victoria which turned out to be a pathetic storm in a teacup and now the Interdom  wind down period to announce HRA policy change that is born of spectacular ignorance and appeasement of a vocal minority.

It's all about me time for this bloke it seems.......bugger all the people involved in actually presenting,promoting and policing iconic harness events.......I will just piggyback off their hard work with my ill conceived more holes than swiss cheese press announcements and pour scorn and indictment in equal measure upon the industry and its participants. Disgraceful 

All of this from a bloke who is given the responsibility of helping nurture and grow the sport. It feels like he is doing the opposite at the moment. Attention seeking flog....  

curmudgeon, savethegame likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    It will be very interesting where all this leads to as my understanding is that it was a unanimous decision at the AGM of HRA and that included every controlling authority and every principal club in Australia.

That means it was supported by RWWA and GPHR.
    How are stewards going to tell if their is a lack of vigour ? You can still tell but it must make it more difficult. Questions like...'Why didn't you use the persuader down the straight' will go out the door. To run a horse 'butchers hook' may become a little easier.
    Heard it was rejected by industry reps but supported by WA`s HRA representative(s).
    edited December 2016
    There was nothing worse than seeing a horse run to the line 4th or 5th and thinking with the benefit of a little more persuader would have run a place. However as JJ said ...watch any race around the world horses and trots...why jockeys/drivers want to flog the horses that can't run any faster and are going to finish 8th or 12th or 15th no matter how many times you hit them with the whip. I've been on horses whereby at the track or on TV thought...don't worry jockey/driver it's fair dinkum gone no point hitting it anymore...it's not going to come back and run 3rd 4th or 5th...it's beaten...but still they hit. It's not necessary..it's g.o.n.e.

cisco likes this post.