G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 23 Non Members

PACERS...HAVE ALWAYS HAD A..MALDIVES EXISTENCE COMPARED TO THE OLD PIT PONY.

Harness & Greyhounds
Doing research on another matter came across this; 16 jan 1950.....Merchanisation has reduced the number of pit ponies in britians coal mines from 68,000 in 1920 to 20,000.... Those that are left are to have there own 48 hour week..... New regulations will protect  them from over work &distress   pit ponies haul coal along  mine tunnels....The ministry of fuel has ordered that each pony must be examined by a veterinary surgeon every 12 months, and if unfit  brought to the surface  immeadiatley.....No  permanently  unfit pony can't be sold to a dealer ,it must be sent to home of rest or responsible person.....No pony is to be  worked  more than two shifts in 24hours or more than three shifts  in 48hrs.except in emergency.

Comments

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    edited January 2017
    Great stuff @savethegame ....they raely saw daylight the poor buggers. Yep, in general, horses in stables are much loved and cared for.....pampered at our place, probably too much but we only ever had max 4 or 5 and each one had his own diet chart and was catered for individually. Probably couldn't afford to do it that way these days with hot breakfasts and prime tucker...we had contacts in the Avon, used to drive and collect only the best steam conditioned chaff, oaten hay that was top shelf, fresh cut lucerne, hand sown fitted rugs, soft as leather harness, shady tree day yards, the best music on 6IX. couple of dogs and geese for company...our joint used to be like old McDonalds Farm...never had any that requested a change of address.We even had a goat in Cannington but he got the sack after he took a fancy to chewing leather harness. Harry the goat had to go.
  • spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    Yep JJ if my old man still had his licence (handed in a few years back now he is 93) and if you died and there was such a thing as reincarnation ,I would want to come back as one of his horses or dogs or cats or chooks , everything with a heartbeat had a great home there

JayJay, savethegame likes this post.