G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 36 Non Members

The Everest : $10mil 1200m race

East Coast Racing

Comments

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    May be beyond him but I reckon i'll still have a spec ew on Deploy...bridge too far maybe against the best but at 16+ bucks he should give a sight for a long way.
    SWR is out to an appealing ew quote of $7.

Track record under threat today again..can see a sub 1.08 time if they run along??
  • oldhendooldhendo    763 posts
    A couple of shillings on Redzel.
    Well thats that done and dusted lol..doubted Redzel at 1200 but he was too good.
  • chocchoc    788 posts
    The draw alone beat Vega Magic
  • dungydungy    9,278 posts
    C Williams that was horrible the worst ride I’ve seen got to feel for George and Wally that was a carve up but Monley will put a spin on it !!!
  • chocchoc    788 posts
    But what a concept.
    30,000 turn up.
    You don't necessarily just need a Winx or Black Caviar to get them in - "if you build it, they will come..."

Thunderstruck likes this post.

• dungydungy    9,278 posts
    paraletic said:

Vega to get the job done

Bloody stiff

Thunderstruck, rooboy likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Good on you @Oldlhendo...$8.60..not a bad price for a horse who before this had won five of his previous seven with two seconds .
  • JellJell    1,201 posts
    I have to disagree choc. It’s racing NSW trying to steal the spotlight of what is, and will always be VIC racing’s time to shine. Money doesn’t make a race, history does. Maybe this will stick and be on par with the big races in years to come but why not introduce it during your own carnival.
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    edited October 2017
    Rent boy Avduffer sends punters to the wall again.

Ok. I stole that joke from Trainspotting 2 so i may have been death riding the horse so i could use it
    I dont see the problem myself..competition Jell!

Only those that backed it what did he do wrong TRK??
    dungy said:

paraletic said:

Vega to get the job done

Bloody stiff

Would like to see the replay so Williams' ride can be put in context. The horse usually goes forward. Willo overthinking it again?
  • chocchoc    788 posts
    Jell said:

I have to disagree choc. It’s racing NSW trying to steal the spotlight of what is, and will always be VIC racing’s time to shine. Money doesn’t make a race, history does. Maybe this will stick and be on par with the big races in years to come but why not introduce it during your own carnival.

Mate racing needs to capture any promotional opportunity it can.
    This race has been covered and discussed for weeks, non-racing friends who only ask for a tip in the Melb Cup knew about it here.

Melbourne Spring will have its coverage, this is an expansion not a detraction.
    Anything that gets 30,000 to attend and generates the media traction this has is only a positive for the sport. And yep - money does drive things, that's the sheer reality of the business world.
    To think anything else is folly.

oldhendo likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts

One of the previews on Sky they were pretty scathing on their assessment of Redkirk Warrior , don't hear a fancied runner come under the 'pump' like that too often...good on them for calling it as they see it though. Will stick with him for the place along with Clearly Innocent.

what was said
    I never said money doesn’t drive things but that it won’t give a race the same status as ones with history. To me, that’s what I got the impression they were trying to do.

Agree we need all the promotion we can get but I think the timing was poor. Turnout was great for the first one, I’m just skeptical of it going forward. I guess time will tell..

hash likes this post.

Only those that backed it what did he do wrong TRK??

He looked like he was surging past the line like he had more to give-just as he has the past two starts. I always said having a new rider was a huge negative for him and so far this prep the bookies havent had to sweat too much.
    edited October 2017
    Gosh @hash did you have to bring up those two up haha...Clearly Innocent was the first horse beaten...then Redkirk Warrior who seemed to have a good run in transit... however when the hoop let him down at the 200 there was nothing in the tank.

Ron Dufficy wasn't rapt in the 1200 metre 'straight' form..his only two wins in Australia both down the Flemington straight...he didn't like that compared to going around the bends of Randwick. He also said they can 'dawdle' and sometimes run some slow sectionals in those races down the straight...that was the gist of it from him.

The other guy he just didn't like at all. Didn't think that form would hope up either...he actually gave Redkirk Warrior less chance than Ron Dufficy.

It was just unusual because ( especially Ron ) in the big races they can make a case for nearly all of them..yet Redkirk Warrior they both put a line through....they were right!!
  • chocchoc    788 posts
    Jell said:

I never said money doesn’t drive things but that it won’t give a race the same status as ones with history. To me, that’s what I got the impression they were trying to do.

Agree we need all the promotion we can get but I think the timing was poor. Turnout was great for the first one, I’m just skeptical of it going forward. I guess time will tell..

I hear you mate but unfortunately for the purist and racing lover alike, status means nothing now.
    The Perth Cup had Status as a 3200m race, now it's 2400m...
    The CB Cox Stakes had status, now its the f..king Ted Van Heemst Stakes...
  • bookieloverbookielover    2,623 posts
    You would have got the same field for 2 millon prize money.

As far as the 30,000 that turn up, 70% young people,  who don't bet. Just get p!!!!!ssed and look to pick each other up for some fun.

The race itself was boring. The leader at the turn at Randwick with a 400 metre straight in front of it, won the race.

On Betfair, the Everest matched 1.2 million, the Caulfield Guineas, matched 1,041,000. Not a huge difference.

Munsie said that the betting on the Everest "has blown the betting on the Golden Slipper out of the water". Rubbish!!  The Tote hold on the GS is well over 2 million on the NSW TAB. They held on the Everest, 1.2 million which was the figure showing on Sky when they jumped. On the Melbourne tote the hold was 636,000. On the Caulfield Guineas just run it was $530,000, only $100,000 less than a race boasting the worlds best sprinters.

And speaking of worlds best, not one International. No, Brave Smash is now owned by Australian bloodstock. They had to fly out Spencer the jockey from England, to try and give the race an International flavour. So the 10 million made absolutely no difference to V'landy's boasting when the race was first mooted that International sprinters would be rushing to get here so they could get some of that 10 million.

Bottom line for me, is that the race will never match the Melbourne and Caulfield Cups and Cox Plate, nor will it match as a spectacle, the Newmarket at Flemington or the Coolmore or for that matter, any group one straight 6 races at Flemington for that matter.
    If all the attendees at the track were local, then V'Landys cannot claim any real economic benefit from the running of this race for Sydney. We know the Spring Carnival here in Melbourne adds over 300-400 million every year to our local economy, due to all the International travelers who come here, and the hotel bookings, restaurants are packed, and huge sales of fashions to both men and women. 

It's a nice concept, if retailers boom because of it, if hotels and motels and restaurants are booked out, and if the turnover through the machine is massive.

However, speaking to friends of mine in Sydney, none of that happened. All we had is another gimmick of a race that did not deserve any of the hype that the Sydney commentators on Sky gave it. It  will be forgotten by Monday morning. 

sonny likes this post.

• chocchoc    788 posts
    You are looking at two different arguments.
    You're old school and that's great, I can remember a time too when bookmakers were relevant and bet in fractions - unfortunately we both know those days are irretrievably gone.
    Now the challenge is to generate interest in racing, both physically and through relevance and coverage.

I'm firmly persuaded that this race - manufactured as it may be - has done both.
    Regardless of how it was run; who participated; and and what the spruiking commentary was (different subject) - I believe that those aims were achieved.
    For better or worse,
    racing needs more of the above to attempt to prosper and thrive.
    The old days are gone mate. This is the new reality.

detonator likes this post.

edited October 2017
    Choc, no one understands more than me, that the "game" as we call it, is fkucked.

So, racing administrators need to be proactive and do all they can to get people back to the track no matter how difficult the task. 

And on that basis alone, the race worked because they got 30,000 there which for Sydney, is a huge crowd.

BUT, unless it translates into REAL DOLLARS, for the local retailers through sales of fashion wear, for the hoteliers through room bookings , for Qantas through International travelers coming here to watch the race, and/or participate, for restaurants and cafes through the extra sales generated by visitors, and for Tote and betting turnover over and above a Golden Slipper Day which also attracts 30,000, then the concept is an expensive failure.

As I said, it has done none of that. talking about the race, and yes, many of my non-racing mates here have talked about the 10 million prize money, is useless, if it doesn't translate into what I have said in the previous paragraph.

Ridersonthestorm33, choc, sonny likes this post.

^^ Agree with both you guys...more in the bookielover camp but it is the new reality too. It's basically a race for very wealthy owners. No internationals...what's the go there ? Too risky for them I'm guessing with the costs.
  • tonytony    2,361 posts
    edited October 2017
    The actual tote win pool for the 2107 Golden Slipper in NSW was 994,000.
    The Everest today held 1,457,000.

Probably also a big increase in the fixed odds  which Munsie has access to.

Biggest crowd at Randwick since the redevelopment.

Certainly a big success by any measurement.

therealkramer, oldhendo, choc, detonator likes this post.

2lifetimewinners dislikes this post.

I'm wrong again :((
  • chocchoc    788 posts

I'm wrong again :((

So you're the reason racing is being held back

:)

bookielover likes this post.

@Ridersonthestorm33 The big players buy the slots and can do deals with battlers so it's still open to anyone who has a live chance. Don't forget a packed crowd, wherher they're betting or drinking, still looks better than enpty seats and this race was beamed around the globe.
    I'll qualify that last statement, by saying that I'm obviously wrong about the turnover, so thanks for the correction Tony. 

But, I know that I'm right on the actual economic benefit to the city. If there has been any at all, it is minuscule in relation to the hype and publicity that the race received. Nor were any International runners attracted. 
    So by those measurements, I stand by my comments that it's not a success. 

As Riders said, a rich race for rich people.

If the race was worth $2, or maybe 3 million, but promoted at exactly the same level as this race was and they did  spend an absolute fortune on the promotion, would they have got say, 20-25 thousand there and would they have attracted precisely the same field?  I reckon they might have.  

@Ridersonthestorm33 The big players buy the slots and can do deals with battlers so it's still open to anyone who has a live chance. Don't forget a packed crowd, wherher they're betting or drinking, still looks better than enpty seats and this race was beamed around the globe.

Judging by the spelling in that post, you're certainly on the drinking side ;))
    Jell said:

Judging by the spelling in that post, you're certainly on the drinking side ;))

No. Typing on my tablet. Small keys and LARGE hands :D

Thunderstruck, Jell likes this post.