In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 22 Non Members

Ascot 11th - Winners & Losers

West Australian Racing
PerthTurfTalkPerthTurfTalk    3,054 posts

Race 1 

Why They Win - Arrum Boy

Highly touted juvenile who looks to have plenty of improvement in him off his debut second to Debellatio. Both midweek 2 year old winners Royal Strata and Reykjavik came from that race and looks Karrakatta bound.

Why They Lose - One Final Werd

Hails from a speedy family and is on debut from an awkward draw. Has the necessary gate speed to find a prominent position, however, best case scenario is punching the breeze throughout.

Race 2

Why They Win - Fraternize

Is a nice type on the rise and showed a lot of promise first-up at Pinjarra when pushing forwards to sit outside the speed. Still raw and green but looks to have a lot of upside.

Why They Lose - Mantime

Is probably the most talented maiden sprinter in WA at the minute and has put together two exceptionally eye catching finishing bursts in Saturday grade. Looks as though he will settle last from the gate and have to be very good to run past the entire field.

Race 3 

Why They Win - Presentatie

Is yet to win in WA, however, with Pike back into the sadde, stepping up to 1200m and drawn perfectly in a race with a lot of top end speed she gets her chance to grace the winners circle. Has been reeling off electric final 600m sectionals and is close to a deserving victory.

Why They Lose - Regal Gleam

Is the class runner of the field and we saw only two weeks ago with Conseated than the Simon Miller mares are tough enough to breeze and win first-up. If she finds the front she will be hard to beat but if she doesn't then she's vulnerable.

Race 4

Why They Win - Three Votes

Put on a short course galloping exhibition last start thumping a moderate bunch of rivals. This is his toughest test to date and he runs into an in-form Seeker. Races well fresh and the only minor concern is if Smoko attempts to cross him early. Bar Plates don't worry me with this camp.

Why They Lose - Conseated

Was a strong and brave winner first-up and drops sharply in weight. Back to 1000m and drawn horribly in barrier 10 I am more than willing to risk her.

Race 5

Why They Win - Makinika

Was backed as if unbeatable last start following a booming first-up all the way win over 1400m in good time. He got every chance to run down Corporate Larrikin on that occasion and with a 1.5kg weight swing appeals as the one to beat.

Why They Lose - Corporate Larrikin

Is a marvellous old galloper who notched win number 14 for in-form apprentice 'Boondie' Stone. Horrible nickname, questionable boyfriend but quality rider. With So Who's Harry engaged and blinkers added to Infathuated there should be a fair bit more speed and Corporate Larrkin will need to improve again to win.

Race 6 

Why They Win - Veuve De Vega

3 year old taking on the older gallopers and comes from one of the strongest form references finishing third behind Listed winners Precious Memories and Gangbuster. Drawn to lead or box seat he should really be favourite.

Why They Lose - Canna Lilly

Has won two in a row on the Great Southern circuit but those form lines are questionable at best. Has a poor record outside of Albany/Mt Barker and even after the claim for CJP looks poorly weighted.

Race 7 

Why They Win - Gatting

Not giving up on Gatting after one heinous display. His prior form was outstanding and in both runs for French hoop Mattieu Autier he has settled in running. Pulled himself into the ground when backed off the charts in the Lex Piper and from all reports has come through the run without any issues. 

Why They Lose - Western Temple 

Is a grinding type who should get the run of the race either leading or sitting right behind the leader. Doesn't possess a turn of foot at all and will need everything to go his way to win. Easily the second elect of the Bob Peters brigade in my opinion.

Race 8

Why They Win - Blackwood 

Found 1300m way too short for her liking first up in the Mares race at Pinjarra. Second-up at 1800 she is much better suited and has contested far tougher races than this throughout her entire career. Has really doured off and needs this trip and beyond these days.

Why They Lose - War Ksar

Probably progresses to the Albany Cup after this run and at this stage of his preparation I dont think the drop back to 1800 is in his favour. Can't see him turning the tables on Eleven Seconds.  

Comments

• ThumperThumper    820 posts
    I've marked Regal Gleam as a massive chance. Either leads or sits outside jestajingle and conditions will suit. Stable is going very well and it trialed well. Punta obviously don't think so. $7 is very generous.
  • ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Pilot coupled with the wide barrier are a concern for me, the horse is good enough if it gets the run you envisage but i'm worried it wont..
  • AmtheoneAmtheone    41 posts
    Thumper said:

I've marked Regal Gleam as a massive chance. Either leads or sits outside jestajingle and conditions will suit. Stable is going very well and it trialed well. Punta obviously don't think so. $7 is very generous.

Surprised if there is any speed in this race at all. She should cross comfortably. 
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    Will lead on its ear, hence $7 is no longer!
  • SticksSticks    548 posts
    Thumper said:

I agree - I think they are the two main chances. I just hope they don't carve each other up! 
    and I missed the top price regal gleam :( 
  • bradybrady    1,452 posts
    Justajingle will spank it !

Sticks likes this post.

• SticksSticks    548 posts
    brady said:

Justajingle will spank it !

The one I'm on!! Regal gleam too short now