G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 27 Non Members

Jockeying For Position: Patrick Carbery

West Australian Racing
PerthTurfTalkPerthTurfTalk    3,054 posts
Foreword

I sometimes feel jockeys are a little protected by the media and racing public and we need to remember they are sports men and women.  How often will you read scathing articles about footy players or cricketers detailing every little flaw with their games?  As the general public, I think it is important (while not attacking anyone on a personal level) that we need to be more accepting that criticism is going to be a massive part of this game.  I've even included some nice things (against my nature) to help ease us into this new and wonderful world of accepted constructive criticism.

Strengths

Positions horses well.  Tends to find good spots in running and will have his horse settle quite well on most occasions.  One of Perth’s better jockeys in regards to not getting caught wide or finding much trouble in the straight.

Weaknesses

A lot of the time appears to get nothing out of a horse.  While you will see the likes of Pike and Noske fluently ride the horse hands and heels while utilizing the whip, Carbery actually stops riding to use the whip.  With horses such as Pounamu or Politics, who tend to build up there own momentum and don't require those urgings it is not a big deal.  But if he was to ride a horse like Socially Unique or Shinta Mani which require a strong rider; both hands and heels and with the whip, he just doesn't suit them.  Just doesn't look overly fluent as a jockey (Cue Carbery fans hate mail...).

Suits

Horses which don’t require much assistance in getting going and hitting top speed.  An example might be a horse like Rock Magic who naturally travels well.  Horses like Universal Law, Diplomat Express, Socially Unique – horses who need to be wound up to get into a race.  Would be steering clear with Patty on.

Comments

• DillingerDillinger    43 posts
    Ok . So thats 75% of riders in W.A .... 10% hit them for no reason/improvement..24% try to hit them & dont help the horse.1% will use the whip possibly & then stop riding !
    Very few apprentices around now compared to 20 years ago in W.A.
  • FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts
    edited March 2017
    Not sure of the point of the thread but presuming an analysis of the other leading jocks is coming.

Over the last 10 seasons Carbery has a winning strike rate of 10% and averages $1.8m in prizemoney from around 530 rides per year..

spinking, Flanders likes this post.

• tofarkennardtofarkennard    177 posts
    One thing all WA jockeys have in common is 90'/, off the time my money is on they miss the first 3 8-}

RIO, jum likes this post.

• FlandersFlanders    1,199 posts
    I've noticed that he seems to be relatively sparing in his whip use compared to some others in Perth.

Fastmoney said:

Not sure of the point of the thread but presuming an analysis of the other leading jocks is coming.

Over the last 10 seasons Carbery has a winning strike rate of 10% and averages $1.8m in prizemoney from around 530 rides per year..

@Fastmoney what site do you use to get these kind of stats?
    I was wondering how do you determine how many winners someone has had in a career or is that not an easy proposition?
  • spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    Agree Fastmoney obviously a
  • spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    Analysis of the rest is coming
    Would be steering clear with Patty on.

Are you saying that as part of your overall opinion of him that you would be steering clear in general or that if he was on one of the horses like Socially Unique etc you would be steering clear? It could be taken as the former the way it is structured.
  • JellJell    1,201 posts
    Good strike rate the Carbery/Matthews combination. Granted it has been booster a lot this season by a certain frustrating bugger X_X
  • ChrisChris    5,219 posts
    Fastmoney said:

Foreword has been added by the author.
  • LeglessLegless    5,108 posts
    If you had backed his last 10 rides you would be smiling :)

https://www.punters.com.au/jockeys/Patrick-Carbery_1348/
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited March 2017
    Quiz Time - Paddy Carbery has won two Karrakatta Plates , two Railway Stakes and a Perth Cup....anybody able to name the horses ?
  • LeglessLegless    5,108 posts
    Night War - Karrakatta

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    turmeric-cup
    No John Claite rode Tumeric.
    did he, riders? my mistake paddy on lottila bay....

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited March 2017
    Yes Lotilla Bay think was about 9 or 10 years old when won the Cup for Paddy. Night War was one of his Karrakattas'. Liked John Claite he improved out of sight as a hoop and won the Cup on Tumeric.
  • silkysilky    342 posts
    Gold rocks and Night War, Gilded Venom and Machine Gun Tom, Lottila Bay

Ridersonthestorm33, thefalcon likes this post.

Paddy Carbery has withstood the most difficult test of all...the test of time.
    ...and you'd never meet a nicer bloke....
  • FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts
    Flanders said:

Fastmoney said:

@Fastmoney what site do you use to get these kind of stats?
    I was wondering how do you determine how many winners someone has had in a career or is that not an easy proposition?
    https://www.racingandsports.com.au/en/#sTxGkWLftiVwFV5I.97.

Flanders likes this post.

• psychopsycho    653 posts
    Might sound silly but is his lack of height a positive or negative as a jockey ? No question it helps keeping the weight down, but is their an ideal height ?
  • saxonsaxoffsaxonsaxoff    179 posts
    psycho said:

Might sound silly but is his lack of height a positive or negative as a jockey ? No question it helps keeping the weight down, but is their an ideal height ?

I would have thought being smaller is a positive, being able to eat and drink on race day has to have you stronger and more mentally alert than a jockey that is dehydrated and starving. 
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    psycho said:

i've been told it depends on the size on the horse, some type of pendulum effect 
    Whats all this about size....it's not the size of the dog in the fight that counts...but the size of the fight in the dog!

thefalcon, Flanders likes this post.