G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 40 Non Members

Jockeying For Position: Paul Harvey

West Australian Racing
PerthTurfTalkPerthTurfTalk    3,054 posts
Foreword

I sometimes feel jockeys are a little protected by the media and racing public and we need to remember they are sports men and women.  How often will you read scathing articles about footy players or cricketers detailing every little flaw with their games?  As the general public, I think it is important (while not attacking anyone on a personal level) that we need to be more accepting that criticism is going to be a massive part of this game.  I've even included some nice things (against my nature) to help ease us into this new and wonderful world of accepted constructive criticism.

Strengths

Perth’s strongest whip jockey.  In a battle down the straight only William Pike would be ahead of him.  Very hard to get past him on a strong on pace horse.

Weaknesses

A little one dimensional these days.  Prefers to be on horses ridden on pace.  From a wide gate usual looks content to sit wide and a touch disinterested.  Will get going early in most races, but that is partially as he backs himself to get the most out of the horse for a longer period with his aggressive style of riding (this is a strength for him a lot of the time too).  Not a jockey I am ever confident with in finding a gap and tends to give up pretty early when in traffic or when he thinks the race is beyond him.  Always wary about backing his horses each way as he tends to stop riding them when winning is out of the question, often costing them a few spots in running.  Often finds himself in trouble with the stewards because of this.

Suits

Leaders.  Or horses settling in the first 4.  Does not suit wide gates that want to be ridden midfield or cold.  In years gone by was my preferred jockey for front runners in Perth.

Comments

• FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts
    edited March 2017
    This will go well.

Comment on P. Harvey shut down previously.

Foreword

I sometimes feel jockeys are a little protected by the media and racing public and we need to remember they are sports men and women. 

Just curious the identity of "I" .

RIO, hash likes this post.

• ChrisChris    5,218 posts
    Name is on the article on the homepage.
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Quiz time!...What was the race and who was the horse that provided Paul Harvey with his first Group One winner ?
  • ThumperThumper    820 posts
    Crying Game WA Derby 1995 

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

Back in the days when it was run on boxing day. It then backed up and won the Perth Cup. Think PR should seriously consider changing this back. Adds a lot of intrigue to the Perth Cup when a 3 years old backs up from the Derby.
    Harvey (at his prime) the best jockey in WA in my lifetime of following racing in WA over the last 30 years. Fortunate enough to have him boot one for me as well as an owner.

Ridersonthestorm33, RIO, Offthebit likes this post.

edited March 2017
    Recall an article where he said his two greatest influences were his wife and Victorian trainer Rick Hore-Lacy who had told him that he would never make it as a jockey!

Chris, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts

Perth's strongest whip jockey.

Have you not observed  J Noske the last 2 years.

spinking, hash, thefalcon likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    They stay hit when the Nosk goes to work

jum, hash, thefalcon likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    leaves no stone unturned does J.Noske 

spinking, jum likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    Chris said:

Name is on the article on the homepage.

who wants to fess up to the name 'Perth Turf Talk' under the old Mambokadzi article then 

no one wanted to put their hand up for it at the time 
    :P

Fastmoney likes this post.

Mick Dittman was the ultimate at leaving no stone unturned...when Noske goes to work on them ( with padded whips ) it pales into insignificance compared to how aggressive The Enforcer was. At the time fully endorsed and praised.

Tucool, Chelsea likes this post.