G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 34 Non Members

AFL Round 6

Sport
ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
One match of Round 5 to go but neither of the teams involved will be players this season so time to move on.

Close to the most crucial Derby in its short history coming up.

WCE would appear to have the Dockers measure in attack and defence but the midfield match ups may still be the deciding factor.

WCE - Vardy, Priddis Shuey, Gaff, Masten, Sheed, Neslon
V
Dockers - Sandilands, Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, Hill B, Blakely and probably Pearce

Who has the most firepower to influence the game?

Comments

• BlacksAFakeBlacksAFake    2,372 posts
    Neither of these 2 teams will be players either :>

Newkidontheblock, spinking likes this post.

• dungydungy    9,278 posts

One match of Round 5 to go but neither of the teams involved will be players this season so time to move on.

Close to the most crucial Derby in its short history coming up.

WCE would appear to have the Dockers measure in attack and defence but the midfield match ups may still be the deciding factor.

WCE - Vardy, Priddis Shuey, Gaff, Masten, Sheed, Neslon
    V
    Dockers - Sandilands, Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, Hill B, Blakely and probably Pearce

Who has the most firepower to influence the game?
    Pearce ????? Please explain 
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Pearce is the logical replacement for Stephen Hill Dungy.

You are probably right Blacks A Fake but I think both WA teams will finish ahead of the two teams playing today.

RIO likes this post.

• NewkidontheblockNewkidontheblock    71 posts

You are probably right Blacks A Fake but I think both WA teams will finish ahead of the two teams playing today.
    Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Daniel Pearce get a decent contract extension recently? If so, how? If Freo are serious about moving forward, surely he would be one of the first under the microscope?
    He is under the microscope and that is why he was dropped and is not part of the long term future but he is capable of being a stop gap player that has pace and can gather possessions.

I believe that over the past 3 or 4 seasons he is in the top 2 or 3 for delivering the the ball inside 50. 
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Daniel Pearce get a decent contract extension recently? If so, how? If Freo are serious about moving forward, surely he would be one of the first under the microscope?
    Unbelievably the football department at Fremantle signed Danyle Pearce up for another 2 years until the end of 2018 at the end of last season!  :-O

Newkidontheblock likes this post.

• detonatordetonator    4,360 posts

He is under the microscope and that is why he was dropped and is not part of the long term future but he is capable of being a stop gap player that has pace and can gather possessions.

I believe that over the past 3 or 4 seasons he is in the top 2 or 3 for delivering the the ball inside 50. 

Don't study Pearce particularly, but my visions of him are those up and under 40 -50m left foot bombs into the the 50. Not sure they hit targets and not sure what other strings to the bow he has either. Not a man I would want to have in the trenches with me. (note Anzac theme)
    Having said that we have one also called Lewis Jetta.

Newkidontheblock, dungy likes this post.

He got 2 years last year , Balic has to come in not Spud Pearce his skills are shocking 

Unbelievably the football department at Fremantle signed Danyle Pearce up for another 2 years until the end of 2018 at the end of last season!  :-O
    I must apologise to you Danyle if you are reading this thread. How could I spell your first name wrong? That's right, because everyone else in the world spells it Daniel!

detonator likes this post.

The reason the fwd line at Fteo has been flaky is because of efficiency from this bloke horrible use of the ball at every chance if they bring him back bye bye any more wins the bloke is a weak down hill skier he has pace that's all

Newkidontheblock, detonator likes this post.

Has played 250 AFL games with an average of 20 possessions and only a very small percentage achieve that level.

Has played 250 AFL games with an average of 20 possessions and only a very small percentage achieve that level.

I thought you only had 2 children Chariots? You are defending Pearce like he is your newly adopted third child! If Freo are to move forward they need to play a kid, not go back to Danyle.

dungy likes this post.

edited April 2017
    Just stating facts and Pearce is the best option this week, not long term.

Still no one wants to debate my initial post on the respective merits of the midfielders.

Newkidontheblock likes this post.

Still no one wants to debate my initial post on the respective merits of the midfielders.
    If it's a hard and tough inside game I think Freo will win the midfield battle. It the Eagle's midfield are allowed to get out and run that may give them the advantage? Priddis might be the key to both scenarios?
    edited April 2017

Interesting debate re the midfields.
    These days the games are quite often played above the shoulders.
    I am expecting a massive lift in intensity from my boys. They grow an extra leg at Subiaco anyway.
    Fyfe is a bull in the stoppages. We need to match that. Priddis needs to lift in that area.
    Brad Hill can cause havoc on the outside. Vardy needs to use his athletism to counter Sandi.
    Mitchell still 50 /50 apparently.
    If the midfield breaks even, we will win.
    Go boys !!!!!!! Will be a huge game. Can't wait.

oldhendo dislikes this post.

• runyonrunyon    569 posts
    detonator said:

Don't study Pearce particularly, but my visions of him are those up and under 40 -50m left foot bombs into the the 50. Not sure they hit targets and not sure what other strings to the bow he has either. Not a man I would want to have in the trenches with me. (note Anzac theme)
    Having said that we have one also called Lewis Jetta.

Danyle Pearce cops it a bit from the fans but he's been a pretty handy pickup that as a free agent didn't cost anything at the trade table plus he's been very durable during his time at Freo. Up until this season, out of 95 games, he played 94 and the one he missed was when he was rested in the last game of the 2015 season.

Ross Lyon has never struck me as being the sentimental type so Pearce must have been doing something right to keep getting picked every week. He did lead the league in inside-50's a couple of years ago. Even if the young blokes start going past him at least he's a handy back up player that you know isn't injury prone.

Chariotsonfire likes this post.

Exactly the point I was trying to make Runyon.

Danyle has become a whipping boy for the fans that really do not understand the game.
    Hope Pearce plays. McGovern will have a field day with intercept marks off those 50m "up and unders".
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    more unwelcome publicity for the eagles...ben sharp .....pge 5 todays west.
    Took the $13.00 on offer about Andrew McGrath after round 3 for the AFL rising star award.
    David King gave him his own highlight reel on Fox Footy post match. (obviously he is on McGrath as well)
    Nice to be able to convince the judges via your tv segment and print media.
    King is after Buckley big time. Getting personal. Has his Fox colleague Eddie put him up to it. ???
    Don't think McGuire has it in him to confront his mate Buckley himself.
    Getting King to fire his bullets for him. Eddie just has to accept Bucks resignation.
    Paul Roos next coach of Collingwood.
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    Pearce is a potato

Gilgamesh likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts

Exactly the point I was trying to make Runyon.

Danyle has become a whipping boy for the fans that really do not understand the game.

Do you go to dockers games Chariots? I'm going to assume you don't, then you may be able to see that which perhaps the tv doesn't show up. Danyle hasn't hit a target since 2014, thus him being able to be a leading inside 50 player, the other teams want the ball in his hands.

He brings less than zero intensity to the contest. As a senior player its guys like him that set the standards, if a young player see's the kind of effort Danyle puts in to chasing someone down, attempting to make a spoil, getting back to fill a hole, sprinting hard to create an option (zero) then that is the standard they will accept from themselves.

There is a direct correlation between the dropping of him and his equally intense buddy Cam Sucliffe and the inclusion of the likes of Brady Grey in particular as well as Grif Louge and the dockers improved win loss record.

If you can not see this then perhaps you really do not understand the game. :P
    Go to every Dockers game and listen to the ridicule directed at Pearce.

Have played the game at the highest level available prior to the AFL and have coached at senior and junior levels for 10 years. That does not make me an expert but I believe it gives me a greater understanding than most.

I still respect the opinions of those that have never crossed the white line however.
    Also happy to go with Balic if he is fit as a longer term solution.
  • squid69squid69    1,434 posts
    The derby is a toss of the coin for mine.
  • hashhash    7,495 posts

Have played the game at the highest level available prior to the AFL and have coached at senior and junior levels for 10 years. That does not make me an expert but I believe it gives me a greater understanding than most.

I still respect the opinions of those that have never crossed the white line however.

Michael Brennan, this you?
    Definitely not.

I have never picked up a hockey stick in my life and my football achievements fade into insignificance compared to Michael's career.
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts

Everyone has an opinion and obviously they think that opinion is right! Just don't pool every supporter into that group that call for the ball to be kicked long then winge when it is turned over because they couldn't be bothered to turn their head to see that everyone had pushed up the ground to defend.

The level of football one can get to nowdays largely comes down to athleticism and god given talent not understanding of the game so yes it does pay to respect others opinions and not go all david king and continually talk at the "average footy follower" as he likes to describe them like they having NFI. Nathan Buckley played plenty of good footy but from what he's showing with Collingwood it clearly shows being a great footballer and having a strong understanding of what it takes to make up a great football team are not one and the same.

You wont sway me on Danyle. Seems a nice bloke, probably a good clubman but the game has passed him by, teems put no effort into him hence his ability to accumulate, he hasn't run fast to influence a contest in many a long day and lacks the contest to contest effort to be a contributor to an AFL team, if he's out there now he is a body only. I will say he is resilient, I think he actually carried a lot of niggles through the last 2 seasons which haven't helped were he is today.

As to your question, when you look at those West Coast names on the screen they are far from intimidating on their current form. Shuey's influence and the ability of Yeo to get the ball moving forward quickly like he did in the first couple of rounds will go a long way to deciding the result. Stop those two and you also pretty much stop the forward line as the ball is then getting in there that much slower and we all know the West Coast forwards (JK excluded) are the biggest skiers in the league. The Freo defenders lacking in pace are pretty vulnerable in that situation.

For what its worth I think Sutcliffe will come in and Weller will play more up the ground. Don't want Sutcliffe in but just see that as the most likely.
    Probably defeating my own argument but the two media personalities that I can't stand are KIng and Brereton who tend to treat the football public like they are morons who have no right to be watching let alone have an opinion.
    We will have to agree to disagree on Sutcliffe/Pearce the former has been the coach's pet for too long.