G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 9 Non Members

Time for Richard Bell to have a spell

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    I dont mind Richie's calling at all I think he is one of the best trots callers in Australia, other than the small detail that he gets the pronunciation of a few horses names wrong.
    I would have him in the best half dozen callers i have heard at GP over the last 35 years with the likes of- Hunt, Grljusich, McCaullay, Chadwick & Shenton.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• BetonmeBetonme    209 posts
    Stu Shenton, gees he was great when on song. I couldn't put Rich in the same ilk but I think tries hard.  
    When I hear Matt Young call, I often think he sounds like a younger version of John Hunt, with a good repertoire
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    When Richie is on song, he is fine, I don't mind him at all. No witch hunt from me but get the names right and drop the straight run through the field caper. It is all down to personal choice. Hunty got a bit over the top with his mellifluous over commentating at times but for mine, based on sheer accuracy and precision, none of them and I mean none of them would carry George's binocular case to the course. 

Betonme, Offthebit likes this post.

• TSSTSS    1,401 posts
    Well, your prays have been answered. Matt McDermott will be calling. Has Richard been sacked?
  • BetonmeBetonme    209 posts
    When you hear racecallers from other parts of the world, we don't really have much to complain about with our ones.

• DaggerVeeDaggerVee    35 posts
    It is all personal opinion with race callers.
    Richie is one of the best. Been off lately.
    Just needs to go back to basics. Preparation is obviously missing as you cannot get so many names wrong.
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    DaggerVee said:

It is all personal opinion with race callers.
    Richie is one of the best. Been off lately.
    Just needs to go back to basics. Preparation is obviously missing as you cannot get so many names wrong.

Got it in a nutshell.
  • TheSwooperTheSwooper    1,717 posts
    Do yourself a favour and have a listen to the caller at Bjerke tonight. Very funny.

Ridersonthestorm33, Lendmefifty likes this post.

• JellJell    1,201 posts
    edited May 2017
    Betonme said:

When you hear racecallers from other parts of the world, we don't really have much to complain about with our ones.

Spot on, just have a listen to UK Greyhound racing.
  • loose_gooseloose_goose    2,069 posts
    JayJay said:

When Richie is on song, he is fine, I don't mind him at all. No witch hunt from me but get the names right and drop the straight run through the field caper. It is all down to personal choice. Hunty got a bit over the top with his mellifluous over commentating at times but for mine, based on sheer accuracy and precision, none of them and I mean none of them would carry George's binocular case to the course. 

George by a country mile....  Hunt was good but over dramatized I thought, who could forget the Big race when he ran out of breath & Ray Duffy's horse flew late and won. Not sure Matt Young anywhere near ready to be GP Friday night man, some hard yards to do yet in the bush.

Found it: The Harlem Boy 1993 beat Jack Morris a half head
    edited June 2017
    Not sure that John Hunt ran out of breath more so he was crying that a 100/1 pop had got up an ruined his prepared script regarding Franco Ice and Jack Morris if I remember.

John was a favorites man and hated upsets.
    Not a bad field, other beaten runners were Zakara, Hilarion Star and Whitbys Miss Penny.

John would have married the latter if that had been legal.
    :)

Back to Richie Soho Changeling became Soho Challenging on Friday night!!!!!

VillageKid likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    And he chopped up a few at Pinjarra on Monday and persists with his monologue run through the horses name...in Race 7 of the long journey. Sounded bored ...and the race was a bit pedestrian but its his job to make the ordinary sound exciting.
  • tonytony    2,361 posts
    edited June 2017
    Totally disagree that it is his job to make a race sound exciting.

His primary job is to call what is happening.

Offthebit likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    tony said:

Totally disagree that it is his job to make a race sound exciting.

His primary job is to call what is happening.

=)) =))  Looks like we just have to get one of the callers from the USA or Sweden in then.

Number 2 is leading number 7, followed by number 1 who inturn is followed by number 8.