G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 20 Non Members

RACING PRESENTERS A PACK OF DILLS

East Coast Racing
Had to go somewhere this afternoon and did what I haven't done for a long time. Put on RSN 927 here in Melbourne. Normally listen to SEN or 3AW, but wanted to see what the presentation of racing on that station was like after not hearing it for so long.

It's two minutes before race 5 at Geelong, and the presenter, no idea of his name, but easy to listen to and doesn't sound like one of the blokes in Perth who talks like he's reading the declaration of world war 3, nor did he umm and aaar like,according to my mates who do listen, Brian Mazuletti of 927, still does, is comparing fixed odds on the race with the parimutuel.

"Number 8, Macrobius, is terrific value on the tote, he says. $4.80 fixed, $8.30 on the tote.

So race is run and won by Macrobius, which pays $5.10. I suppose you would be tempted to say that the extra 30 cents is value, until you look at the fluctuations and see that it was $8.00 into that 4.80 S.P. 
So neither the $4.80 fixed or the $5.10 tote, was any value at all.

We get the same crapola from many Sky presenters, the champion being, Dave Stanley, but others aren't far behind.

I'm sure that there are plenty of people having a bet out there who wouldn't understand value if it bit them on the Tijuana.

However, when they do tumble in to the racing presenter touts, because that's all they are, and the so called value horse pays around the same as, or worse than the fixed odds, it has to leave a bad taste in the mouth of any intelligent individual.

Then again, perhaps I am being too kind to many of the punting public out there, who cop the garbage fed to them by the radio and TV presenters, many of whom you would think would not want to demean themselves as they do.

I've seen it many times in the past at TAB's which I used to frequent and on the track. The blokes getting a dividend of $1.90 about a horse that was 2/1 into 6/4. Even when the caller at the track in his after race summary has shown a bit of intestinal fortitude and declared that the punters have copped big unders, I have heard the blokes clutching their tickets saying, at least it's a winner.

Bottom line, nothing has changed. Numb skulls in the studios, presenting to numb skulls outside of it.

Comments

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    Anyone betting 2 mins before the jump-and hence missing the early price- is looking for a lead from the betting so the larger tote div was value.
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    @bookielover whats your thoughts on Tabcorp wanting to increase takeout rates on meetings run from Friday to Sunday ? Heard one boffin say that the tote needs to be more competitive...as if increasing takeout rate would make it that way...some chaps can put a spin on anything.
  • bookieloverbookielover    2,623 posts
    TRK, Unless you are completely clueless, and I do not believe that for a second,you must know that horses that are well backed in the ring, or at this point in time, at fixed odds with the Corps and Tabcorp, rarely if ever, pay overs on the tote. 

As soon as those boffins in the studio tell the watching and or listening public that a horse is supposedly value, you can bet your life that by the time they jump, and as in the case I quoted above, the horse wins, the punter has got no chance whatsoever of receiving the dividend that was showing two minutes before the race.

The horse is only value, when it starts at $4.80 and the tote paid $8.30 after the race has been run and won by the horse in question. What it's showing two minutes before, is irrelevant to it's eventual tote dividend after the race.

Pretty simple logic know to most punters, I would have thought.
    Riders, the proposal is frankly despicable. 

The TAB have said that they will use the extra profits, around 3-4 million a year, and plow that money back into advertising the Tab, and helping punters understand how to bet with the Tote. That was one of the suggestions put forward by the TAB.

All it is, is a grab at extra revenue from punters, and nothing to do with making the TAB more competitive. And the average Joe who doesn't have a clue, will still bet with them and cop $2.50 horses that are $3.50 with the bookies at S.P. and, as I said in my first post, they will tell everyone that "at least I backed the winner."

The TAB are losing market share every year, hence their desperate attempt to take over Ubet.
    They will probably be successful.

The cold facts are these.

If you want to pay 17% on win bets at the Tote, bet with them. 

If you want to bet into 130% markets at fixed odds with the Tote, bet with them.

But if you have got any brains at all, and understand real value and that you can't beat percentages like the TAB are betting, and to a great extent the Corporates, you won't bet with either.

Just want to add here, that I really find the misleading statements made by presenters,questions the integrity of the sport we love.

Yes, I know it's buyer beware, and if people want to act like sheep, without any care or thought, they probably deserve what they get.

However, in my opinion, those punters who make up the unsophisticated battlers who just want to back a winner, do not deserve to be mislead by the unconscionable acts of racing presenters whose salary is paid for by the Tab. 

The conflict of interest of which they are a part, is a damning indictment on the racing game. 

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• sonnysonny    1,064 posts
    Hi B/L,If the presenters don't play ball, they lose their jobs. Where can they go.. they have no choice but to do what they are told..It's a pity but most of them can't hod a conversation about racing and punting..
  • JellJell    1,201 posts
    You make several spot on comments BL. It's the same on TAB Radio, G. Hall and Co. throwing out the same mindless dribble day after day and refusing to tackle the real issues.

In regards to the tote, you can't stop the droves of uneducated punters drinking in pubs that just bet race after race into the tote.
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited June 2017
    There was a two horse race the other day...on tote one horse was $1.60 the other $1.80 increase takeout anymore combined with the 'criminal' rounding down of dividends and it's beyond embarrassment. $1.19 rounded down becomes $1.10... Just how do they get away with that?! It's a racket.
    edited June 2017
    @bookielover Except in that case the fixed odds paid $4.80 and the tote paid $5.10. It's not really the best example considering the point you are trying to make. If you had the choice between the two you could lock in the certainty of the fixed price or take your chances on the tote. In this case the tote was  'overs' but punters know that things like the size of the pool and the discrepancy at the time of the bet all affect the ultimate dividend. At least if you know punters are likely to back the horse and the price will collapse you can bet with that in mind. What's worse is getting no spruik from a Sky presenter but having an interim tote price adjusted once the corps/pros' rebates are factored in after last minute bets.

Hi trk,I think the point that b/l  is making ,,it maybe fixed at 4.80 but on course you probably could have gotten better than 5.10...
    edited June 2017
    sonny said:

Hi trk,I think the point that b/l  is making ,,it maybe fixed at 4.80 but on course you probably could have gotten better than 5.10...

They use VOP though for the 'official' flucs and that is what @bookielover referred to in his post-i.e $8.00-$4.80. 

• loose_gooseloose_goose    2,069 posts
    Jell said:

You make several spot on comments BL. It's the same on TAB Radio, G. Hall and Co. throwing out the same mindless dribble day after day and refusing to tackle the real issues.

In regards to the tote, you can't stop the droves of uneducated punters drinking in pubs that just bet race after race into the tote.

Most probably more me than the show, but cannot sit there listen to day after day, just so repetative

RIO likes this post.

Listened a few times and agree with the above. . and switched of. The  only racing show I listened to is Racing Rant and the Melbourne crew of Juppy, Potts and Horowitz..
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,986 posts

I NEVER, and I mean never listen to any racing shows so I cannot comment. I just think that if they are such gurus why are they driving 20yo corollas and rent in balga.

The ACCC has said that they will not approve Tabcorps takeover of Ubet.
    The final decision will be made by another authority whose name escapes me, but it doesn't look good for the takeover.
  • dungydungy    9,278 posts
    Tony Brassel well there is a classic the bloke is dead from the knees up i cant believe he is on TV presenting its like listening to the Parnhams they are very upbeat NOT  
    edited June 2017
    dungy said:

Tony Brassel well there is a classic the bloke is dead from the knees up i cant believe he is on TV presenting its like listening to the Parnhams they are very upbeat NOT  

You can barely hear the bloke. Half the time you get the impression the other presenter doesn't even listen to what he says. It's almost mission impossible deciphering his mumbing. He just picks the fav anyway so there's no real point in getting his opinion.
  • detonatordetonator    4,366 posts
    dungy said:

Tony Brassell tips and gives his summations on every race in every state (from what I have seen) He cannot be across all the form etc so his tips are flaky. He may jag some good price winners from time to time, but so can everyone if one is tipping every race in every state on a Saturday.

thefalcon, hash likes this post.

• FatCatFatCat    16 posts
    detonator said:

dungy said:

Tony Brassell tips and gives his summations on every race in every state (from what I have seen) He cannot be across all the form etc so his tips are flaky. He may jag some good price winners from time to time, but so can everyone if one is tipping every race in every state on a Saturday.

Shame he's not as good as his old man was. Now there was someone I respected.