G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 23 Non Members

Caralabek plunge highlights cheating and incompetence

West Australian Racing
PerthTurfTalkPerthTurfTalk    3,054 posts
Caralabek is a reasonable stayer going around at in the 5th at Belmont today. It was a $17 chance with most agencies yesterday, a major reason for this would have been the fact that both front bar shoes were on.

Reviewing the odds this morning I notice Caralabek has been backed into $4 from the $17 (Quoting TabTouch odds) opening price. Clearly a strong move, even for the current corporate bookmaking standards we are accustomed to.

These type of plunges happen all the time so this doesn't concern me. Then I see a late annoucement on the CRIS website -

Race 5: (1) CARALABEK - Bar Shoes (Both front) OFF

Are we seriously going to sit back and cop this? There will be a $250 fine for the stable. They could have backed it to win $50k+. There will be denials from the stable that they don't know 'who's money it was'. Sick of being taken for a fool. If you want to believe that then fine. Guessing you are a 55 year old man still writing out a list for Santa Claus.

It isn't even the stable that upsets me. It is the powers to be which allow this to happen. Simple - SCRATCH THE HORSE. Or at worst make it run with the gear that was initially published in the racebook.

We are an industry set up for cheats. Nobody in the main stream media will ever write anything about this because it isn't a good news story and might put their job in jeopardy.

So let's keep doing what we are doing. Hide the cheating and incompetence and promote the falsehoods of whatever is left of this industry.

Comments

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    The horse obviously has issues...only one start last campaign and two starts in the campaign before. 

So I'll ask a question... you accept with your horse, bar shoes on. 
    then the rain comes... 
    some horses get "bogged" on a soft track, trying to pick up the bar shoes. Add to that, perhaps he can go a lot better on a soft track without the added weight of a bar shoe.

So when is it acceptable to look at the track and say... ill take them off as it will enhance the chances of the horse? 

Surely you're entitled to give your horse the best possible chance on raceday? 
  • careycarey    6,368 posts
    2 horses from that same stable same race with bar plates off in that race.

you might have a valid point diva if it happened infrequently.
    but it doesn't.

last year, 'integrity' said they were going to crack down on this type of thing, but exactly sweet sweet sweet nothing changed at all.
    if fact there is probably more instance of it now than then.

i have probably reached the point where i WANT racing to die.
    and they are going a good job of trying to make my wish come true!
    not to mention that it should be on their twitter feed, but of course there is nothing, because they don't care.
    well the r1 one is but not the r5 pair.
  • MinesACoronaMinesACorona    184 posts
    Someone making a mountain out of a mole hill.

As Diva as already said wet track, extra weight of the shoe. IMO nothing untoward going on.

• LeglessLegless    5,108 posts
    edited July 2017
    Was it backed into $4 before the announcement was made that the bars were coming off?

If so, one could say the punter(s) that hit it are as keen as catshite ( and/or have plenty $-) $-)  ) unloading onto something with bar shoes on that hard ;)) ;)

RIO likes this post.

the $17 would have been wrong, but it is irrelevant, because it happens TOO OFTEN, and the amount of times they win is much more frequent than stats say they should.
    in other words, they should win with the same frequency, as horses do, without late notification, but they win much much much more often than that.

i have no idea about the horse in the coming race. bit that too is irrelevant.
    and tivers' horse had them on still.
    that'll teach 'em! =))

Legless, Fastmoney, hash likes this post.

• GaryHGaryH    1,012 posts
    I wouldn't have touched @Tivers horse @ the $41 on offer with Tabtouch.  But the $71 @ Centrebet had to be taken......  Bloody thing is inconsistant....

hash, RIO likes this post.

• LendmefiftyLendmefifty    227 posts
    I backed it last start at $31's I think, but didn't take it today as it was not good value. I agree, they should've put more effort in to notification. Usually, bar plates don't scare me off but the stats do say to leave them alone, and a lot of punters run for the hills. Clever ploy, but ultimately not in the best interests of racing.
  • UnderpantsUnderpants    17 posts
    edited July 2017
    nothing to see here really. whether you agree with it or not there's a perception bar plates don't go good in the wet and if they've pulled them off because of that then thats acceptable every day of the week. then the plunge (if you can call 11.04 am bets a plunge)... i didn't like caralabek yesterday, I personally gave it the absolute bare minimum off his last run +0.75L (for fitness, as it's 2nd/3rd up 2100) didn't like it as i got burnt 1st up in april running close to career worst. that said I still had it 6.50! giving it in my opinion the minimum. it starts 5.50 yesterday, if its in form it's about $3.20 and if it's wound up it could be even money in that field. were i paying attention to the money i could have had it the 5.50 or less than it started. looks like it could be somewhere close to the form it found last season so obviously whoever was on it done their form well, while i was stuck on Saxapak yes that says something about field quality when you are on horse thats won 5/70 and never in town. also worth noting it doesn't take much to get the bookies running at 11.04am on a wednesday.

jum, paraletic likes this post.

• psychopsycho    652 posts
    ALL gear changes should be notified at acceptance time, if there are changes to shoeing these horses should be scratched. Blinkers etc. have to be notified so why not shoeing? I have been told by people that sometimes the farrier makes a change to this piece of gear at the last minute, but if betting has been under way for 2 days already that is flipping useless. If they can add shoes why not blinkers ? If blinkers are a rule of racing and "need to be approved" so should shoes

thefalcon, RIO, AceV likes this post.

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Only gear change that mattered in that race was the gear falling from the sky.

Winsumlosesum likes this post.

• buffybuffy    273 posts
    Ibacked Caralabek on tues at $17ew because in my opinion based on its last run it was overs. Down from a 65 plus Saturday race with only a half kilo more in a  ordinary midweek event. Underpants said he was on Saxapak  which finished  2.3 lenghts  behind Caralabek last start and met it on equal weights.