G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 21 Non Members

Who Am I ? The Mares Edition.

Harness & Greyhounds
Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
edited August 2017 Harness & Greyhounds
My pacing career began in November 2001 with my debut run at Pinjarra and don't think too much was expected because I was unwanted in betting and started a rank outsider. After working extremely hard in the run I won the race by a nose.

My trainer drove me that day as occasionally he would throughout my racing life and I had several different drivers as well enjoying success. However I struck up an excellent repoire with a very good ex jockey who proved that he was no slouch in the sulky guiding me home to some of my best wins including a State Sires Series 4yo Mares Final.

During my career I had a bit of a knack of winning and being placed at some long prices. I also enjoyed good success on the Golden Mile Kalgoorlie circuit and even though I was unplaced my trainer thought enough of me to travel over and contest against the best mares in Australia at Harold Park NSW in the rich Ladyship Mile.

From that spring day at Pinjarra where a despised outsider to my retirement in March 2005 I had 83 starts for 19 wins and 18 places amassing $134594 in prizemoney.

I was not in the true sense of the word a champion but I carved my name with pride. ( And for quite awhile caught the imagination of the author - always liked this horse from day one and a real favourite).

Who Am I ?

+1 -1

VillageKid, cisco likes this post.

Comments

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Might have been one of Bondy's first decent horses....got her off Ian Davie as I recall.

VillageKid, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    Golden Goddess ??????
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    No Jum - not the Goddess.
  • KTQKTQ    319 posts
    Sand Pebbles?
  • KTQKTQ    319 posts
    Actually I know who it is.... not because I'm smart and remember horses but because I did some research. I wont say what horse because I cheated but she's got some winners back in her line, and herself threw a pretty good horse who won $560k

I like this game
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    JJ's hint of Ian Davie has me thinking it might be Adayspay as I dont think Cordon Bloke would have been eligible for a Ladyship Mile?!?!  :P

JayJay, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited August 2017
    Haha...it's ok to do a bit of research. Sometimes it's needed and no not Sand Pebbles. This horse is a bit of a forgotten one - was on the scene for just over three years - then like many others had retired before you realised it - leaving a good impression and some good memories.
    edited August 2017
    Correct VK - Adayspay. Will relate a story on the punt on her - it was her third start in a race - without going into details - it was ( for me ) what they might now call an old fashioned go on her - even driving to Pinjarra to spread the money around by backing her tote and with the 2 or 3 bookmakers on track.

You can imagine how I felt as the mobile arms went back and there is one horse galloping wildly out the back - you guessed it. Take too long to explain why the plunge went on - even took a friend at the time Steve ( yes his real name ) to the track with me - he provided some capital too - I was confident.

Needless to say our conversation was a little jilted on the drive back home and the friendship not quite the same from then on - although he could laugh a little about it years later. Only a little. Funny he never really took to that horse. But I kept the faith and her next run - of all days on the calendar year was Christmas Eve and again at Pinjarra.

This time she just had to win - a Merry Christmas was dependant on her success. No way was I going to Pinjarra to put the mock on and Steve had abandoned ship. Fortunately alls well that ends well and on Christmas Eve of 2001 Adayspay at her third start got the money at Pinjarra at around a double eachway price - I couldn't watch the race and finished up listening on the car radio. For me if she got rolled it would have been like that Robin Hood film - where the Sherriff Of Nottingham - yells out in frustration - 'And call off Christmas'!

cisco likes this post.

• 2lifetimewinners2lifetimewinners    508 posts
    Ill run with Adayspay

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited August 2017
    Many times later I was reminded by mate Steve...when Adayspay name was brought up..in his words in a very grumbling tone...' Yeah Adayspay cost me a lot more than a days pay'. For him an instant dislike for the horse was born - can't help but think I was some part responsible for that line of thinking and no matter how well she went onto be...that day at Pinjarra was etched in his memory.

***Sorry above should read at her fourth start got the money ***
  • ciscocisco    805 posts
    Great work Riders!!!
    edited August 2017
    Thanks Cisco it's good to remember some of the pacers who whilst not champions...were very very good...which also makes you realise just how great the true champions were.

Also was happy because for once got something right - from her very first run - would say to a few people - there is something special about this horse. Her first start even though only Pinjarra she did a power of work - at around 70/1 on tote...I was cursing because she just wouldn't drop off..was thinking who the bloody hell is this horse - and why was there no money for her. I said right - even though I've lost on that race - I think this horse could be special. Next run totally unlucky green as grass , blocked for runs , may have galloped in the run too from memory. But as had won at 70/1 then unplaced nobody was taking too much notice - we are only talking average fields at Pinjarra.

Then her third run was that confident even drove to the track - only to see her gallop. Then on her fourth run when not all that much on but at least something she got the money and from then on went on to be a very good horse. If I hadn't seen her debut run at Pinjarra probably would never have followed her as much in her career but something that day told me - this is pretty good.
  • tofarkennardtofarkennard    177 posts
    S j miller
    edited August 2017
    Yes Stephen Miller. From my recollection he drove quite well and especially had good success with Adayspay.

Recall S.J running second in a Group 1 race at Ascot riding a horse called Foreman...ran second to another very good local horse named Forge On ( think that was there names ) . Paul King I'm pretty sure rode Forge On and S.J fired in a protest...Forge On appeared to run Foreman off the track badly and looked like one of those obvious upheld protests - but after a long hearing was dismissed. Always have thought Stephen Miller was robbed of that Group One victory.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    SJ Miller had 38 drives on a Adayspay (of her 84 race starts). His record was 12 wins, 7 seconds, 4 thirds and 15 unplaced from August 2002 until July 2004.
    It was shortly after he did his "apprenticeship" with Phil Coulson. Smoke And Ashes was the last pacer Phil trained and SJ began driving him in February 2002. He had 5 drives on Smoke And Ashes for 5 wins, after taking over from L.B.Harper and M.B Reed who drove the horse in its early days after Phil had relinquished his reinsman's licence.

Ridersonthestorm33, tofarkennard likes this post.