G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 31 Non Members

Who Am I? - Fly Under The Radar Series

Harness & Greyhounds
Just about done all the super stars to death, so with lousy weather ahead, a couple of 'Who Am I" for top horses who for one reason or another, slipped under the radar or were going to be top horses, until they ran into an out and out champ and had their confidence destroyed and never ever got up off the floor.

A flashy chestnut, I started off life in NZ in 1996 sired by a handsome imported son of Albatross who was from an Adios Vic mare,  and raced there for 3 seasons in the late 90's but without any great success. In fact, when I was purchased by Australian owners, I had a winning mile rate of just 2.9.4...from the mobile...consisting of 5 unplaced runs as a 3yo. I improved to win 2 very minor races as a 4yo but failed to win as a 5yo from 8 attempts. In all, 28 starts for 2 wins, 4 seconds and 1 third for $17k in stakemoney.
Owned by WA interests, I first raced in SA and won first up at Gawler in a R2/R3 worth $1500 with Geoff Webster driving. I went on to win 6 out of 7 in SA including a couple at Globe Derby Park before heading west but the opposition was ordinary at best and I wasn't setting the world on fire as a rising 6 year old with a C2 assessment.
In WA, I joined a very prominent stable and went on a tear around the country tracks....stringing together 9 wins in a row at tracks like Wagin, Northam, Kellerberrin and Bunbury. I won the "Central Wheatbelt Cup" at Kellerberrin and then headed to GP and breezed through the classes, my record now standing at 13 wins from 14 starts. In my first metro FFA, I beat Dayman and in that same season, went on to win an August Cup, a Brennan Cup, a Botra Cup beating horses like Another Party, Bengeeman and Tricky Vic. Hail the mighty chestnut, the punters loved me and I was being talked about in high places. In fact by the time of my BOTRA Cup win, my WA record stood at 21 starts for 16 wins and 5 seconds. Then I ran into my nemesis and a mighty horse he was. He knocked me out in two great title fights, both Grand Circuit Group 1's and my spirit was broken, although I placed in both.  I managed just a 5th placing in a fairly ordinary Australian Pacing Championship and it would be 6 months before I recorded another win (and my final win in WA) when I beat The Humilator and Hy Falutin in a mid winter FFA. After that, I was on sold to the USA, where I had moderate success, lowering my lifetime record from 1.57.8 in WA to a respectable 1.54.4.
Lots of clues there, shouldn't take the keen minds of the regulars to come up with his name.

Comments

• Browny123Browny123    97 posts
    Sokys raider?
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Yes, how would your luck be running into Baltic Eagle at the peak of his powers and you run 2nd to him in both the Fremantle and the Pacing Cup. However, on his NZ form, you wouldn't have expected him to do what he did.
    Too many clues ...every time I do one of these, I become increasingly grateful for the fantastic and detailed records available for harness racing, superior in every sense to the Thoroughbred records.

thefalcon, Gilgamesh, jum likes this post.

• Browny123Browny123    97 posts
    All good buddy..much further back would have stretched me.i was working a horse that was chasing his arse around a bit at the time.

JayJay likes this post.