Who's Online

0 Members & 7 Non Members

Ribbon Of Light Friday.

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• 2lifetimewinners2lifetimewinners    508 posts
    Riders,
    Agree with your votes there.

I did enjoy the drive by S MacDonald. Once he kicked clear on the corner you could see Stewie trying to figure out what pose to go to the line with haha.

Gilga
    The way he does form for the races is very professional. Sometimes he gets it wrong but not often. He might not be the best driver in some eyes but ALOT of people are quick to give him, and others, a whack when they stuff up, but far from coming forward when he has a night like he did last night.

Ridersonthestorm33, cisco, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited October 2017
    As far as driving favourites . Not sure of the exact stats or if he does get beaten on more faves than any other driver...but if you drive more favourites than anyone else..you would expect that to be the case wouldn't it ? He can't win on every favourite. Also it's pretty competitive out there - won't see too many favours done for him in running. More the opposite.

Would imagine Willy Pike and Jao Moreira lose on more favourites than any other hoop..simply because like Ryan Warwick they are on more. But their still pretty good hoops. ( Understatement )

Recall hearing a champion hoop once say...' When riding favourites you still have to get the job done'. It's not as easy as it looks - there is more of a spotlight and the pressure that brings.

Now this may not be a great comparison haha ...but does anybody know who has been hit for the most sixes in International Test Cricket ?

Answer : Shane Warne.

He still went alright and took a few wickets. This week Warwick might get hit for one of those sixes ( lose on a favourite ) but it doesn't detract from his driving ability does it ?

Also the overall stats on favourites in general in all forms of racing...think the average is 3 out of 8.7 win at the most ? So Ryan Warwick having the favourite sure doesn't mean it's going to win. There's a job to be done and overall reckon he does it well.

cisco, 2lifetimewinners likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts
    No knock on C.W.Hall but I reckon Yackandandah won because it was a completely mad race, so not in the votes for me. The Spinsters only chance was to fire off the gate and keep running, so a vote to Dean Miller and Rycroft was rated spot on in front, had them all off the bit on the sub 28 third quarter and then lasted.
    Adjourned inquiry, race 4, that might take a while.
    Yes The Spinster and I'm Batman have had a few problems...but both looked good.

Not sure what the overall % of favourites that win is...might be 30%-35%....been on too many of the 65 - 70% that lose. Rudimental Sol :-<
    Watched the replay of race 4. When the leader hung out it appeared he was steared out. Not saying the driver did intentionally but it didnt look great. Maybe the camera in the back shows otherwise.
    edited October 2017
    Had a look at Smo last night from a betting prospect...but gosh how did he start at only $6.50 fixed and $5.90 on tote ?

He must have shown something in his recent trial because when running fourth in a field of seven...because his last three efforts were ...last at Pinjarra @$119.20 last at Bunbury @$63.60 and second last at Kellerberrin @$26. Comes to Headquarters and runs @$5.90.

Has country trotting become that much stronger ? Or Gloucester Park weaker ?
    Or is he a tipsters sucker ball? They put him up short and suck in people who have no idea into having a bet.....look, he may be okay, I don't know but his price in no way reflected his form....at any venue.
    After the main race last night the guy in the Sky studio described the great run of Mysta Magical Mach.

Close up and finishing right on the wheels of the placegetters...very good run....well um...actually he was 30 metres behind the second last horse. Couldn't keep up with them down the back straight.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,888 posts
    Nothing to with the GP meeting last night

However i like betting on country NSW Trots meetings - and i had quite a few bets at Tamworth last night - put them all on in the afternoon - and have just got around to watching the replays today

Race 7 - i had box quinella which i got - box tri no good - and had a decent  E/W bet on the no 10 Kool Kenny - 2nd from the outside on the 2nd row

I was an interesting race - in that there were a couple of Newcastle horses in that race which is rare - the winner being one one of them - and Kool Kenny driven by prominent Newcastle trainer driver Cameron Davies - it was well in the market $4.60 - way down in grade - and bear in mind they went super quick early (28 sec ) and barely broke 62 sec coming home - so the race was run perfectly  to suit

Anyhow if you have got a few minutes spare - i would be very interested in your views on the drive of Kool Kenny
    Firstly, won't be complaining about WA race callers in a hurry.

And secondly, ummm...ummmm....well, he never looked likely is about as kind as I can get. Haven't seen a horse in "pyjamas" for a while.

Markovina likes this post.

edited October 2017
    Will keep an eye out for that horse next start. Follow up. 
  • OffthebitOffthebit    597 posts
    edited October 2017

Riders,
    Agree with your votes there.

I did enjoy the drive by S MacDonald. Once he kicked clear on the corner you could see Stewie trying to figure out what pose to go to the line with haha.

Gilga
    The way he does form for the races is very professional. Sometimes he gets it wrong but not often. He might not be the best driver in some eyes but ALOT of people are quick to give him, and others, a whack when they stuff up, but far from coming forward when he has a night like he did last night.
    3 winners to ryan but in all fairness most drivers could have won on his first two winners.

Credit where credits due the drive on simply susational was simply sensational.
    Didn't panic when caught in the breeze and rated it to perfection. No problem for me to admit it when he drives a good race.
    At least i wont have to do it to often
    =))

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

OTB now doing stand up haha

edited October 2017

OTB now doing stand up haha

Well, given that you have been a long time supporter of ryan on here, you have been doing stand up for quite a while now. Just thought i'd join the party.......
    Haha
    Yeah fair point, funny how I'm a bit of a fan of the bloke with close to the best URL nationally in the last 2 years.
    My pocket appreciates it that's for sure.
    I hope your pocket enjoyed the odds on of el jacko getting rolled.
    As freddie mercury would say.....another one bites the dust!!

Browny123 likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    As things unfolded no none could have got it across the line.

Having its first stand effectively off 40m over the short trip anyone taking odds on was asking for trouble.

I have absolutely no affiliation with Ryan Warwick but I find Offthebit's obsession to continually denigrate him quite pathetic.
    im no robinson crusoe....
    Denigrate is the wrong word chariots.
    Saying he gets plenty of odds on faves beaten and is an overrated driver is hardly a denigration.
    Didn't back it OTB, that's the thing, you have to chose your mark and at that price he wasn't value.
    Would be interesting to see his numbers v jrs as to getting favorites beaten.
    Considering his winning % of the last 18 months I would say he his numbers stack up pretty well

I think you summed it up perfectly Chariots, his obsession in tearing him down is a little sad. No doubt OTB has driven hundreds of winners in his lifetime and not butchered one.
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    I have criticized plenty of drives on this forum but based purely on the drive not the individual.

Even the best like Chris Lewis rip one up like Shirlz Sensation on Friday night. Just imagine the outcry if it had been Ryan Warwick.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Nothing wrong with appointing a personal whipping boy as a default punting recovery position OTB. 
    Don't think Ryan would be losing too much sleep over it and as Hemingway pointed out in Death In The Afternoon.....you have to find your repair zone in the corrida

Didn't back it OTB, that's the thing, you have to chose your mark and at that price he wasn't value.
    Would be interesting to see his numbers v jrs as to getting favorites beaten.
    Considering his winning % of the last 18 months I would say he his numbers stack up pretty well

I think you summed it up perfectly Chariots, his obsession in tearing him down is a little sad. No doubt OTB has driven hundreds of winners in his lifetime and not butchered one.
    Yep mate spot on. Fair to say you have driven two more winners than me.
    Plenty of blokes on here are armchair critics though. Go across to the racing forums and have a look at the amount of jockeys that get regularly denigrated. Even champion jockeys like c williams gets ripped a new one for not winning from a wide draw on vega magic. I'm sure all those critics would have won on the horse from barrier 10!!
    Here in the harness forum if you knock a driver you are an ****!!
    Bunch of boring sensitive sallys you lot are (except jay jay).

Boring.....just like this once mighty code has become lately.....

Adios amigos!!!

Browny123 likes this post.

Offthebit said:

I hope your pocket enjoyed the odds on of el jacko getting rolled.

As freddie mercury would say.....another one bites the dust!!

Reading the stewards report and can hardly attribute the run to fault of the driver.