G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 15 Non Members

Melbourne Cup Barriers.

East Coast Racing
Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
edited November 2017 East Coast Racing
Collectively winning barriers of the first four home were 2,3,4,5...coincidence or not ?

Been following the Cup for quite a while and over the years have placed next to no importance on the barrier draw for the Cup...it's a 1200 metre straight run, it's over two miles...it's almost inconsequential..a small guide at best.

However am beginning to think the barrier draw has become crucial. Just in 2015...fairly sure the first four home drew near the inside..Prince Of Penzance..Max Dynamite..Criterion and Trip To Paris.

This year Rekindling 4, Johannes Vermeer 3, Max Dynamite 2, Big Duke 5.
Would it be too much of a stretch to say they wouldn't have run anywhere from say barriers 16,17,18,19 ?

Would it be too much of a stretch to say horses like perhaps Marmelo, Amelie's Star, Heart Of Fire , Almandin ( just loose examples ) if drawn in 2,3,4,5 wouldn't have been fighting out the finish or at least two or three of them.

Years ago would have thought 'talk rot' ...but now such is the emphasis on the Melbourne Cup barrier draw am not so sure if either above is a big stretch.

Uncertain if it's Flemington itself , track bias, hoops riding differently...but the Melbourne Cup barrier draw has now become much more important for me. Think lines can now be immediately put through horses who draw off the track. Heavy rain being the exception.

Only a theory at this stage but am being converted to thinking the draw is much more important than I once thought. It's the reasons am still trying to work out.
+1 -1

detonator likes this post.

Comments

• detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    Almandin being the exception last year, but I am with you riders.
    I saw one of the tv "experts" reviewing the race were initially worried that Rekindling had only competed and done well in smaller fields in Europe. Being a lightly framed northern 3yo drawing the inside allowed it to settle easy and not have to contend with the hustle and bustle of middle horses trying to get a position. Worked out beautifully.
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    Rekindling was for us a 4 year old with a light weight and that is what made the difference in the closing stages.

In my opinion barriers don't make a massive difference in the Cup. 1200 metres to get it sorted. Certain UK jockeys (plenty over the years) who are happy to sit three and four deep forever do make a difference.