G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 41 Non Members

Perth Inter's Memories

Harness & Greyhounds
The first (and pretty vague) memories I have of the Interdominions were of Caduceus winning at Harold Park in 1960....probably because of his connection with Frank Kersley and also because Kiwi Dillon (who ran 6th in the final) was a household name in Perth at the time via his legendary trainer Pop Johnson and his ace driver in son Max.
However, young JayJay's interest began to peak (and has never waned) when the series returned to Gloucester Park in 1962. This series had it all ..champion horses, legendary reinsman, drama and massive crowds. Of course, the future behemoth of Harness Racing, Cardigan Bay, the first ever standardbred to win a million dollars  in prizemoney, was the lead story after winning his heats on night 1 and 2, along with Perc Hall's great NSW champion James Scott. The presses at the Daily News were stopped one afternoon prior to the 3rd round of heats to enable famed trotting journalist Arthur Thornton, allegedly on a tip off from Leo Keys, to travel out to Cannington to file copy on a report that Cardigan Bay had been badly inured after escaping from his handlers at the old Cannington track. He (the horse, not Arthur) careered down Station street before falling and badly damaging his hip with concerns being expressed at the time that he may have to be put down. Of course, he was scratched from the remainder of the series leaving James Scott as the red hot favourite, a favouritism totally justified after James Scott won his 3rd and final heat and obliterated the field in the Grand Final rating an almost unheard of 2.4.6 from the stand over 13 furlongs in defeating Lew's Hope by 6 yards, with a further 12 yards back to 3rd placed Super Paddy (Les Marriott).  A huge crowd packed the terraces to watch the brilliant James Scott take the win and there are many action shots of this great horse in full flight as he crossed the line. As a forerunner of things to come, 5th placing in the final went to former Tasmanian stallion Collaborate, a horse who would have a significant influence on the WA breeding industry. He was handled by a youthful Phillip Charles Coulson for trainer Fred Kersley Snr just as the former was about to embark on a sustained period of dominance in WA harness racing. The great aftermath story of that years series was Cardigan Bay's remarkable recovery from his career threatening injury via the great skill and patience of local trainer/driver Ted Greig, who nursed Cardigan Bay back to full health, ultimately paving the way for Cardy to claim the following seasons Interdominion in a remarkable performance form 24 yards behind around the saucer like SA Wayville track.
With many high profile WA horses contesting the subsequent series held away in the Eastern States and New Zealand,Bin Oro, Kiwi Dillon, Eaton Hall, Minton Hall to name just a few, interest in the 1967 series at Gloucester Park was at an all time high. Nominees included the champion NZ mare Robin Dundee, the almost reigning champ of Australian Harness Racing, the mighty Tasmanian Halwes, NSW star Tongue Twister, South Australian Bon Adios, Goulbourn View, Southern Song, Waitaki Hanover and a cavalcade of star reinsmen from across the dominion....Doody Townley, Bill Shinn, Robert Cameron, Don Ducat, Kevin Newman...all here in Perth to take on arguably one of the strongest contingent of Western Australian fast class horses and drivers in the nation. Kersley, Lindau, Coulson, Pollock, Poyser, Robinson and their respective charges Blue Pennant, Velocipede, Satanas, Color Glo, Coneeda, Paula Nelson and the young pretender, a lightly raced rising star named Binshaw, a striking bay horse with four white sox, something superstitious old horsemen shied away from. I recall going to the Tuesday night trials to watch the raiders prepare and getting bitten by the rather surly Robin Dundee as I foolishly tried to pat her...a trait she was apparently  famous for but was unbeknown to me. I never tried it again. Public interest in the series was never higher.
After defeating the odds on Halwes in his first two qualifying heats, the punters who had taken the initial generous odds on offer for Binshaw winning the Grand Final were on very good terms with themselves.With all the stars qualifying for the Grand Final, it was standing room only, and very little of that on offer,  as an estimated 35,000 spectators crammed every vantage point to watch Binshaw, prepared to the second and absolutely glowing in condition, romp away from Coneeda and Goulbourn View to a rapturous reception with Robin Dundee a gallant 4th from a 36 yard handicap. Binshaw gained the perfect run three back on the rail and when produced at the 2 furlong marker, he simply opened up the field to win easily by nearly 4 lengths ....the first WA bred, owned, trained and driven winner of an Interdominion Final. Such was the prestige afforded his win that Phil Coulson was announced the WA Sports Star of the Year for 1967. From that day on, Binshaw was, and still is my most favourite horse ever...not the best but just my favourite. It was a momentous win and one that still makes my very diminished hair stand on end. 
(To be continued)

Comments

• sonnysonny    1,056 posts
    Gilga and your self should take over Ernie Mannings reporting..

VillageKid likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    edited December 2017
    As an aside JJ.....leviathan owner ex Narrogin boy Merv Butterworth was Ted Greigs stablehand in Station St.
    Also...lesser known is that Ted had a makeshift sling he used to suspend the horse while he recuperated initially then he put him in the centre of his small jog track to keep an eye on him and let nature take its course. After a while the horse began to keep company with the jogging horses and Ted thought he may be worth another go.....he was pacing along like a toff without any discomfort despite having one hip two inches lower than the other. Ted rang the owner in NZ and asked if he could put the horse into work as everything seemed fine. She said she would think about it and a week later a horse transporter pulled up and took the horse for its return journey to NZ. Ted's bonus was a bluey from the Vet for non payment of treatment fees. 
    That's the unknown unsavoury attachment to the worlds first millionaire pacers story.
    Ted passed away in Esperance 18 months or so ago at the age of 84 I think. He was forever miffed that he didn't get a chance with the horse after saving its life.
    That incident hastened Ted's departure from harness racing to the bounders... where he won a Railway Stakes with La Trice and lost another on protest with the same horse......but that's another story.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    I have the 1962 race book and have scanned it as a jpg but it won't copy onto the comment.

Perhaps Fastmoney can help with his obvious talents in this area?
  • FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts

I have the 1962 race book and have scanned it as a jpg but it won't copy onto the comment.

Perhaps Fastmoney can help with his obvious talents in this area?
    Sent you a private message.
  • FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts
    edited December 2017
    Thanks for that Fastmoney.

12 Kolworth 12 yards and 13 James Scott 24 yards are over the page.

Interestingly the RBA Inflation calculator converts 8,100 pounds in 1962 to approximately $225,000 today.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,630 posts
    Two brothers in the final...5yo Super Paddy and 6yo Paddy Boy both from the good mare Dainty Patsy, a Raider mare who on December 20th 1952, won a heat of the Christmas Handicap for Harry Moran on what was termed "Raider" night when the legendary sire provided the winners of half the card, including the great visiting champion Floodlight. Great bloodlines were just as important way back then as they are today. 12,500 pound final in 1962 plus 500 quid for the fastest time....those were the days.
    A correction to where Cardigan Bay suffered his injury, it wasn't at the Cannington track, in spite of it being mentioned frequently in old reports as the location. It was at Ted Greigs stables in Riverton Road that he leased off his immediate neighbour Bernie Cushing.
    I think he clamped his tail over a rein and half bolted then tipped the driver out and ran into the stalls at the Cannington track then slipped and fell onto the concrete and buggered his hip.....from recall of what Ted told me.....its all imperfect recollection now and Ted is no longer around to quiz about it.
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited December 2017
    Brilliant race book there. 1962...wasn't born then but Collaborate does ring a bell...been following them along time!

Scr of course didn't mean scratched...but a front row draw from the standing start. That term slowly dissapeared...starting from scratch.

A warning bell and red lights are shown five minutes before closing of totalisator...good one.

The owner of the horse recording the fastest time will receive £500...classic.
    edited December 2017
    King Capri rings a bell too...another for Fred Kersley.

Even though was already metres when started following...often say furlongs especially at the gallops. Even hear some apprentices still use the term - furlong - good to hear.

I think he clamped his tail over a rein and half bolted then tipped the driver out and ran into the stalls at the Cannington track then slipped and fell onto the concrete and buggered his hip.....from recall of what Ted told me.....its all imperfect recollection now and Ted is no longer around to quiz about it.

Late info from another source has verified Riverton  Road as the site of the accident and injury. Unseating the driver and slipping on concrete is correct though. Thanks for that... I stand corrected there.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,788 posts
    article that I have;;on the morning of feb. 27 1962 his sulky hit a bump and attendant tom white losing his grip on the reins was spilled out. as wilkins watched in horror from side of track. cardigan bay took fright and careered off the track with his sulky flailing behind  him. As he dashed back into stabling area the sulky caught on a attachment dragging him downm heavily onto a concrete verge.Apart from nasty cuts about the fetlocks he was so crippled by damage to a hip that it was doubted he could ever race again.thought was given to putting him down.

Perth trainer ted greig and Christchurch owner Clarrie Rhodes were sure he could be saved and at greigs stables special slings and contrivances were arranged to shift the weight away from cardigan bays ailing hip. A month later the slings were removed,and a limping tottering cardigan bay was led out to graze

sept 14 1968 cardigan become the first standardbred to reach $1million in stakes..Auckland brewery chief and philanthropist, sir henry kelliher generously offered a home for life on his island paradise... Wonder jay jay would that have been York trainer tom white  driving him when he got tipped out or just name coincidence.. One of the greatest harness stories the cardigan bay story.

JayJay likes this post.

Moving on to 1974 after the hometown glory of 1967, and a lot of water had flowed under the bridge.....a lot.  Past champions gone, new ones emerging....and a series like few others. Dainty's Daughter after a gallant 4th in the 1970 series at the Melbourne Showgrounds, been and gone, old Blue Pennant, 3rd in 1968 at Auckland, been and (eventually at 13) gone, Red Vicar, as stunning a looking horse as you will ever lay eyes on and 4th at Albion Park to Welcome Advice (pauses....wipes away a tear....it still hurts 45 years on lol), been and gone, James Eden a mighty competitor, been and definitely past his peak but still around, Coulson no longer on the scene after the fiasco at Addington with Juniors, probably the greatest phenomena any of us will ever see on a track in Mount Eden, been and gone, new stars from the East rising (or in Hondo Grattans case, already risen)....seems the only constants in life were old Binshaw still racing and winning no matter who trained him, huge crowds at headquarters nearly every race night with a packed bookies ring and my trusty float towing V8 manual Kingswood which would also eventually die after one too many trips hauling some pretty ordinary horses up Greenmount Hill to Northam, York, Cunderdin,Merredin etc.....also now mainly been and gone.
    Hondo Grattan was the reigning champ and held legendary status as the "Bathurst Bulldog"...he even had songs written about him that made it to the charts. Having won at Harold Park the previous year, just prevailing over Royal Ascot, Glamour Chief and Just Too Good in typical never give up fashion, he was the star attraction for the Perth Series. Paleface Adios, Welcome Advice,  Adios Victor, Just Too Good, Royal Gaze, Bret Armagh, Speedy Ben and Yallara meant there was no shortage of numbers and class traveling from the East and the excitement and public interest building was immense in the lead up. Heading WA's best hopes was that year's  Pacing Cup winner Local Product, perennial favourites Miss Dundee, Shanagar, Wee Cent,Sign Again, Yankee Rhythm, Dillonson, Bangalore, Park Royale and Tanaka......and a smokey to emerge from left field, Laurie Robinson's terrific horse Admiral Way horse Haddock.
    The qualifying racing was unbelievably competitive with many of the aforementioned stars only able to run occasional places in the heats but the final line up boasted a stellar field with Hondo aiming for two in a row.
    Those present for the final, and I had a birds eye view as my late Dad was a WATA employee, will never forget the huge fall that occurred on the first turn, after Just Too Good crashed to the track, eliminating over half the field including Welcome Advice, Paleface Adios and Local Product, with others severely checked and effectively knocked out of the race. Brilliant heat winner Haddock (pauses, wipes away another tear...33/1 pre-post was available and taken) made up the best part of a furlong to trail home in 5th whilst Hondo slogged out another courageous win over the fast finishing Adios Victor with the 3rd placed Bret Armagh eventually disqualified after a positive swab. It was the days of heavy whip use, foot out of the cart was not particularly frowned upon and I wince when I watch the footage but Hondo was a true legend and nothing can be taken away from him. This Interdominion Championship had everything plus more and the huge crowd was left buzzing for hours after the finish. An unbelievable night with some on course enthusiasts getting out of punting jail courtesy of Park Royale landing the chockies for Jimmy Schrader with a great win in one of the consolations, defeating Bangalore and the aptly named Waitawhile Boy. We would indeed have to wait a while......until 1982...before the Inters returned to Gloucester Park. (to be continued).

I helped put the Jet's money on Park Royale, it was a huge go.

Notice on the 1962 race book he starting time of 9:50pm.  No daylight saving and no pandering to the ES and NZ.

VillageKid, JayJay, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    edited December 2017
    Amazing footage JJ I wasn't born for the 74 Perth Interdominion but I do vaguely remember the 82 series as a wee lad.
    I wonder if there is any footage out there of the 62 & 67 Perth Inters would love to see if there is?
    74 Perth Interdominion...all the pocket money on Welcome Advice for a place...flew off the mark...was just about to get through the early carnage and then got poleaxed out of it. Was going to possi up in a striking position. Race was live on Channel Seven from memory.

Inside of ten metres think Welcome Advice started from.
    edited December 2017
    Just watched the replay! Have a gander at Welcome Advice @VK...that's him inside of ten metres..was half an inch from getting through. He was a very smart horse too and a good beginner, had the race at his mercy if the needle eye opening had presented early.

@VillageKid there is a bit of footage of the Binshaw on this In The Gig GP segment.

edited December 2017
    Another note about the old 1962 race book...horses 7yrs of age or more...their actual age was never put in the book, just an 'a' meaning 'aged'.
    After an 8 year hiatus, the Inters returned to GP in 1982 in a series that, without wishing to discredit the participants, was probably not of the highest quality. In the preceding period, wonderful warriors like Pure Steel and Paleface Adios had tried everything to win the ultimate crown of Harness racing but always came up a bit short ....of luck, not endeavour or heart. 1975 saw the mighty Young Quinn cruise through the Auckland Series undefeated as Hondo Grattan (in finishing a gallant 6th in the final) couldn't pull off the almost impossible feat of winning 3 series in a row. 1976 at Globe Derby Park in Adelaide saw an almost unheard of Chris Lewis steer rank outsider Carclew to victory as Pure Steel's heartbreaking run in Inters finals began with a very unlucky second place finish. With both Typhson and Royal Force making the final, WA was well represented on the national stage. Fred Kersley jnr added a 3rd placing in a final to his 2nd with Coneeda in1967 when Velvet Prince ran a huge race behind Markovina at Moonee Valley in 1978 whilst Steelo could only finish 8th in the final. Rondel won in NZ in 1979 and when Harold Park hosted the series in 1980, Steelo won all 3 of his heats but had to settle for 3rd in the final behind local champ and long time adversary Koala King. San Simeon had his winning sequence broken by Michael Frost in the 2nd round of heats at the 1981 Hobart series but zoomed straight to the front in the final and annihilated the field to win easily, with Pure Steel running an enormous race to finish 4th. It seemed that owner Russel Robert's elusive search for an Interdominion victory was over but who could predict that a relatively cheap purchase from South Australia with a less than impressive heart score but impeccable standing start manners would finally provide him with his holy grail.
    Many previously unheralded horse had their moment in the spotlight at the 1982 series in Perth but all of them were walking in the shadow of the almost incomparable Popular Alm and his driver Vinny Knight, a promoters dream in terms of publicity. Poppy, although never comfortable around Gloucester Park won his heat on opening night and was immediately the talk of the town. Meanwhile, Rhetts Law went about his business winning 2 heats along with the veteran Indian Chant and Mike McCaffery's smart horse Mister Moriarty whilst Society Guy gave Jim Schrader a heat win and George James guided former Victorian Ayr Rowan into a final that aside from Poppy, probably lacked fire power. Roberts was confident that Rhetts Law would lead and win and so it eventuated as Colin Warwick fired him out, rated him perfectly and landed the money from Lehigh Lad with Poppy running a gallant but uncomfortable 3rd after galloping from the stand, ahead of Ayr Rowan and grand mare Burrows in 5th. Russell finally had his hands on an Interdominion Trophy with a horse vastly inferior to his champion Pure Steel and the fact that Rhetts Law would win little else of note in his career meant very little to the single minded bookmaker and Tavern owner. The crowd that night was ridiculous, cramming every available vantage point and they cheered home a very parochial win .on the back of a perfect George Grljusich call

VillageKid, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

Great to see that 82 Final again and to hear the incomparable Georgey G call again.
    A few of my old favourites as a kid ran in that race Indian Chant, Burrows & Mister Moriarty. 
    Rhetts Law was rated to perfection in front by Colin Warwick who was an underrated reinsman in the spider. 
    The benchmark for all callers.....of anything .....preparation, precision, knowledge,timing.and tone...I need George's tip for Friday night so as to eliminate one from the mix.

Cross from George Manning to George Grljusich ......
    "how's the night been George?"
    silence
    "George?"
    cough splutter intake of breath " well I will tell you how the night has been George....they should install a maypole in the betting ring where favourite punters can gather and watch drivers tear up these favourites one after the other and console each other....that's how the night has been George but there is one to go so where there is life there is hope".

VillageKid, JayJay, squid69 likes this post.

"Well, how can you possibly win backing favourites down here? Brunette looked a certainty on paper and a horse that no one has ever heard of has beaten it by 12 lengths.after being very heavily supported. Ridiculous I know but Red Vicar has annihilated that field. Still, there are 7 races to go, so my selection for race 2 is....."

curmudgeon likes this post.

The era preceding the return of the Inters to GP in 1989 was a golden age of champions, both boys and girls, as some of the true super stars of Harness racing strode the stage. In 1983, in a series dominated by mares...they won 5 out of the 9 qualifying heats....the mighty Gammalite showed all of his renowned toughness in winning at Alexandra Park when defeating not only Popular Alm but a field that contained 3 sensational mare in Delightful Lady, Bonnies Chance and Armalight. He didn't win a heat but tracked Poppy throughout the final and when he drifted off the pole, charged up the inside to win easily. The following year (1984) at Globe Derby Park, he went back to back after summering in Perth with Phil Coulson and arrived in Adelaide in peak condition for a never in doubt win in the final over Thor Lobell, Bundanoon and a galant Black Irish in a lower than average quality field. The 1985 series at Moonee Valley can be summed up in two words...Preux Chevalier....In fact 1985 full stop  can be summed up in two words. A shattering Hunter Cup win from the "Valiant Knight" preced a clean sweep of the series with Village Kid storming home for second in a sign of things to come, with Game Oro 3rd and Gammalight 4th, another champ just failing to nail down the elusive "threepeat". WA horses were dominant in this era and Village Kid "clean swept" the 1986 series at Albion Park over Vanderport and Neil Lloyd's mare Line On. Not only did Willie win all his heats, he annihilated them in the final.My Lightning Blue won an unremarkable series in Addington in 1987 defeating Paleface Bubble and the Bob night trained Our Maestro would head to Perth as the defending champ after beating Colin Joss's Palimar at Harold Park in 1988. Although winning a heat, Village Kid was a bit off his game and ran down the track in the final whilst the brilliant Jay Bees Fella won 2 heats and ran 4th in the final for Greg Harper.
    And so to Gloucester Park for the 1989 series, one that the Bob Knight stable would dominate but probably not with the horse they thought would win. I have cut and pasted a previous write up I did back in 2015 on this series:

This wonderful series took place in an era of domination from the Knight
    Stable....and of course the mighty Village Kid. Our Maestro was the
    defending champion, Sinbad Bay was the emerging star, Jodies Babe was a
    pretty good 3rd stringer. Vinny was a polarising figure...to some a
    colourful genius, to others brash, loud and over confident but he was a
    huge personality and having chosen Bag Limit over Our Maestro  in the
    Sydney series final the year before, surely he would land that elusive
    title in Perth. Sinbad was almost unheard of when nominations came out
    but a win in the Golden Nugget in Perth and the Winfield Cup at Moonee
    Valley saw him jump from 89th ranking (of 93 entries) to series
    favourite ....and add in Riverlea Jack, Luxury Liner, Rowleyalla, Kylies
    Hero, Nikalong Shadow and local favourites Village Kid, Morgan James
    and Paavo...well, it had it all...and it delivered.
    Night 1 heat
    winners over 1700m were Paavo over Morgan James and Rowleyella, Village
    Kid broke the track record in running 1.55.2 in downing Riverlea jack
    and Jodies Babe and Sinbad Bay was brilliant  in beating local surprise
    packet My Current Account and Kylies Hero. Then, disaster, Sinbad Bay
    had injured his tendon and was scratched from th erest of the series.
    The weather was stinking hot and Our Maestro pulled up in a very bad way
    after his second round heat over 2100m and it looked like he to would
    be out. Jodies Babe backed up with a win over Luxury Liner and Voight,
    Village Kid made it 2 heat wins by beating Sir Reilly and Bronski Beat
    and Riverlea Jack jumped in favoritism by beating Rowleyalla and Kylies
    Hero. Our Maestro recovered from his distress and in the 3rd round of
    heats over 2500m, he defeated Paavo and Screaming Eagle, Village Kid
    made it an undefeated run through the heats (repeating what he had done
    at Albion Park in the 1986 series which of course, he won..what a horse
    he was) when defeating Jodies Babe and Luv You Perth and My Current
    Account booked his spot in the final after beating Nikalong Shadow and
    Luxury Liner.
    When the draw came out (starting 10 across the front
    line on the now enlarged track) for the $420,000 final with Vinny
    choosing Our Maestro and 21 year old stable foreman Scott Stewart
    driving Jodies Babe, Village Kid faced a tough task from his wide gate.
    In front of a monstrous crowd, there was no room anywhere,  Riverlea
    Jack had gate 10 and never really bothered to score up, diving right
    across the back of the field to the pole line. Our Maestro, an
    impressive bold type lead up, Village Kid was 4 wide early, then 3 wide,
    then into the breeze, Lindsay Froyland had My Current Account leaders
    back but he would be outclassed, Stewart had Jodies Babe one out one
    back in a commanding position and when you listen to George's call, it
    was pretty obvious that he had put the mocka on Paavo by backing
    him....he got all excited about Paavo being one out two back. Turning
    for home, Jodies loomed up, grabbed Our Maestro with Kylies Hero
    (Maurice McKendry) 3rd and Vinny still hadn't won an Inters. It was a
    perfect drive from Stewart and with Knight taking his own life in 1991,
    it would never happen. An 8th on Rockleigh Victory behind Thorate at
    Globe Derby Park would be his last drive in an inters final. Sadly for
    our George, Paavo faded to 9th whilst Village Kid ran a typically game
    4th. Screaming Eagle won the consolation for Fred Kersley and thus concluding a
    memorable series.

Ridersonthestorm33, VillageKid likes this post.

Watched this one from the top of the straight and backed Jodies @ 16/1 odd. She was unlucky in the heats mostly and I guessed she was peaking....correctly as it transpired.
    edited December 2017
    Top of the straight was a great spot curmudgeon..strong bookmakers ring and tote facilities. Watched many a race around the area...and if things were getting tense...a quick jog up to a TV near the bookies ring to just get another look how the one in front or behind was travelling.

Only punter to have watched every race...but in two different places!
    Willy was enormous in that 89 Final was 3 & 4 wide for a lap then did all the work in the breeze and was still fighting on at the line to just be nosed out of 3rd. If only he got a half decent draw he would have surely won?!

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited December 2017
    Another big run from Village Kid was in a Pacing Cup heat..thought was risky this night, was quite short and was able to back several others, including $10 on Microfiche at 66/1 with Rod Evans.

The Kid from memory had a very hard run, should have and deserved to win easily..no favours done for him , they really drove hard to make it tough and Microfiche with a soft run caused an upset. A week later he beat Microfiche home by along way.