Who's Online

0 Members & 14 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• KTQKTQ    319 posts
    Ive got everything past 1999
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    It is a hard race to track because there have been a number of different incarnations......initially run in the N/E tracks under various names before finally (I think) becoming a city class race in 2000. There were versions of it at Kellerberrin etc for (again, I think) lower class fillies, I recall them even having heats at one stage.
  • KTQKTQ    319 posts
    There are also multiple "Daintys Daughter" something or other races throughout the year I think which doesn't help. Historical feature race results should be easier to find. 

JayJay likes this post.

• KTQKTQ    319 posts
    edited January 2021
    alright so I often have issues with the horse search function on harness.org not finding names unless the spaces are correct and the groundhog has seen his shadow. One time finding Im theMightyquinn took me about seven days - how the eff do you spell Daintys Daughter?  ~X(

NEVERMIND IT HAS AN APOSTROPHE!!! Good friggin grief

SECOND EDIT: DID YOU KNOW DAINTY''''S DAUGHTER ONLY WON 1 RACE. Surely for a horse of that caliber, they'd go in and update her performance record
    HRA  horse performance records for WA pre 1990 are non existent (prior to computerisation) .......feature race chronicles have been independently compiled and are a good source of info. Classic Families also have much better horse performance history eg they list Daintys having won 33 metro races (22 at GP, 11 at Richmond Raceway).

She also won the WA Country Derby (when Jock trained and drove her), a heat of the WA Derby, The Christmas Gift Final, Hannans Cup, the Meteor Mile Invitation, the Sprint Championship, 7 x GP FFA's, 4 x RR FFA's, Stratton Cup, WA Pacing Cup (in World Record Time) off a back mark, Fremantle Cup (off a back mark) and the Test Match Invitation Stakes, ran 4th in an Interdominion Final, contested a Miracle Mile when Kevin Newman drove her etc etc. She was a champion and a darling of the crowds.
  • maybesomaybeso    84 posts
    When did the Dainty's Daughter 3yo fillies classic first run? Is there a list of previous winners and the dates the races were held anywhere? Looking through results from the 90s is proving tiresome
    http://www.harness.org.au/hra/feature/rc_3yop.pdf

KTQ likes this post.

• KTQKTQ    319 posts

I have an idea.
    GP has an ass tonne of unused space. What about getting a brewery on site. Sell the beer in the bars, get brewery traffic in, improve the food and drink offering, make rent off unused space.
  • Rocket_ReignRocket_Reign    841 posts
    KTQ said:

I have an idea.
    GP has an ass tonne of unused space. What about getting a brewery on site. Sell the beer in the bars, get brewery traffic in, improve the food and drink offering, make rent off unused space.

Have thought the same thing, why not have a nice restaurant on course that’s even open on non racing nights that would get people there the flow on would be a crowd at trot meetings sometimes people that never would of been to trots before.
    As it is all we have is steelos which is priced like it’s nice food but I wouldn’t feed it to my dog
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    When i last attended GP on a Friday night - many many years ago - at the entrance - or top of the home straight - that grandstand - inside their was a great area - and well patronised

Get a tray - you had a selection of a steak or fish and whatever - and for about 10 bucks got a very good meal - you could sit down at a table - great view of the track - and each meeting -Gino DM and Ken Casellas - plus a guest would preview the meeting - i can remember one night Mike Reed was the guest

Plus there were tote machines at your fingertips  

That was a lovely area - abuzz with people - you could sit down in comfort - have a nice meal - a beverage - listen to the preview and watch the pacing - beautiful - i use to go to that area all the time .
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    KTQ said:

I have an idea.

Spot on KTQ.
    Every Friday night whilst at the track I often think the same thing. 
    There are so many different offerings we could possibly have within the spacious GP grounds- a micro brewery on site, or a cafe, or a gym, also could the old stand rarely used now the Ledger Stand be converted to office space/apartments/hotel accommodation?
    There is a fairly large population residing within close proximity to GP and that will only increase further soon with the Causeway development and the old EP licence & old vehicle centre pits being converted into apartments.
    We also have the Stadium only a 5 minute bridge walk away and many people utilise this area not only on match/concert days, go take a walk around that area it is bustling with people enjoying a stroll along the river & bridge, exercising morning, noon & evenings, but unless it is racenight GP is all locked up and hidden away from the public.
    The area in and around GP/East Perth really only has the overpriced Royal close by excluding the Camfield across the bridge now, there are certainly opportunities there.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts

Can't Find--- Meadowbranch D.J. In the results the horse that  sure RWWA  sent employees around the globe to source a horse for the inters stand corrected wouldn't have been much change outta  100k.from start to finish of  a mediocrity project.

Stood and listened to Racing Manager Ken Norquary say i stopped the 100 unplaced subsidy ,because people were ringing me from Geraldton saying thanks for my paid holiday-plus  he also stated it encourages mediocrity..

That was a big play for the demise of the floating gypsy trainers that held Gero.& Kalg. seasons together. The 100 unplaced subsidy which did allow a extra team,to survive if someone had terrible night  ten unplaced runners 1k.which would help  carry them,over till the next meet rent, feed etc ---100 unplaced money, eventual did return,but  like everything else we seem to always have unsuccessful  practice runs.  But to late another 50  trainers-- have gone..

The outta circle clubs runners should have received 200.unplaced----because while them two clubs were still functional, city based trainers that were down on there luck, could also take there horses there as a option.----now the chickens have come home to roost.--But RWWA employees along the journey have fortified themselves.around there pay packets. There was 9. employees in 2014 were getting over 120k.

Lucky Meadowbranch D.J was''' IRISH'''  made it a better joke, but at least 1,000 unplaced 100s could have paid for a few extra bags of chaff. for W.A  battlers  & plus  poor old D.J could have stayed home  continuing to pull the brewery cart on tours. .

Just on belting out figures as mentioned about the number of trainers that had to travel to Gero.----
    Funny when C.EO. belted out the figures for Kalg's demise.saying that Cortopassi was traveling from darling downs.-- Burch was traveling from-- byford --Saw was traveling from Pinjarra. When in actual fact they were domiciled in Kalg. for the season.& even the racebooks had there previous locations listed which was a oversight by the trainers? for not changing addresses  or stewards not checking?--no-one told the computer. where the Ceo' got his In- correct figures.

Too late now. My personal belief  when the goldfields mining industry went from the standard 71/2 hour days to 12 hour shifts  1986-90. & prior to RWWA'S inception-the Kalg.- Kamb. region  figures went  down by over 60 trainers in next 14-16 year period

.That it was going to be a hard road ahead.& needed direction.but none was forthcoming..

With RWWA 'S  inception there was a strong belief stakes increases were held back for couple years prior,all the while people were still exiting the codes. But it allowed Bennetts  to come-in  as the pied piper with  bells & whistles giving money out like Perc .Galea. left right & centre.----

Handling of punters money for the survival of the codes was the job then----still the same 2021....

NOT FORGETTING  THE LOGO IN THE PROCESS

''''''''' HARNESS THE RHYTHEM,

BUILD THE PROFILE OF HARNESS RACING

INSTILL CONFIDENCE WITHIN INDUSTRY AND ENCOURAGE

PARTICIPATION  TO BROADER AUDIENCE.'''''''

Aldo's last year in Kalgoorlie  allowed for a fill-up.& now a association with a very smart horse.just around the corner---- country harness allows that..

Use Meadowbranch DJ IRL for him STG. Without the IRL suffix, he doesn't appear.
  • PictureSon1973PictureSon1973    138 posts
    As mentioned before Gloucester Park is the most under utilised asset in Prime Real Estate in all of Australia.
    Hang on Parliment House is !
    It’s Sad to see but Bad management of this underperforming Asset over a lot of different administrations is causing serious hurt to the trotting industry as a whole .
    Incompetence does come to mind thinking about G.P .
    Selling the Asset isn’t the answer look at H.P

As mentioned before Gloucester Park is the most under utilised asset in Prime Real Estate in all of Australia.
    It’s Sad to see but Bad management of this underperforming Asset over a lot of different administrations is causing serious hurt to the trotting industry as a whole .

Im not suggesting to sell GP 

However selling Harold Park saved the NSW Harness racing industry

Prior to the sale - the prizemoney was the absolute pits - i can remember Neil Day ( a trainer/driver over their ) saying presale of HP - that nsw harness racing was like a slow cancer - dying a slow death etc 

Now they have got plenty of money - they have built some lovely new country tracks/complexes - introduced a fantastic country cups circuit - with great prizemoney - no one misses out - reopened some old closed country tracks 

NSW prizemoney for their bread and butter races across the board is so much better after the sale of HP 

Pre the HP sale - i can remember Steve Turnbull ( of Smooth Satin fame ) who had about 40-50 horses in work at Bathurst was seriously contemplating selling up  and moving to Victoria - like quite a few South Australians had to do  - eg Geoff Webster - the Justice bros and the Sugars clan 

And the reason why he was thinking of selling up and moving to Vic was simply to make a living - because the NSW prizemoney was pathetic

freodockers likes this post.

• AbbysAceAbbysAce    560 posts
    Markovina said:

Im not suggesting to sell GP 

However selling Harold Park saved the NSW Harness racing industry

Prior to the sale - the prizemoney was the absolute pits - i can remember Neil Day ( a trainer/driver over their ) saying presale of HP - that nsw harness racing was like a slow cancer - dying a slow death etc 

Now they have got plenty of money - they have built some lovely new country tracks/complexes - introduced a fantastic country cups circuit - with great prizemoney - no one misses out - reopened some old closed country tracks 

NSW prizemoney for their bread and butter races across the board is so much better after the sale of HP 

Pre the HP sale - i can remember Steve Turnbull ( of Smooth Satin fame ) who had about 40-50 horses in work at Bathurst was seriously contemplating selling up  and moving to Victoria - like quite a few South Australians had to do  - eg Geoff Webster - the Justice bros and the Sugars clan 

And the reason why he was thinking of selling up and moving to Vic was simply to make a living - because the NSW prizemoney was pathetic
    Ive heard Shane Sanderson leaving Menangle, setting up at Charlton? Any truth in this move?
  • sonnysonny    1,054 posts
    Hi Abby, Yes he is moving to the Charlton Complex an it is much cheaper and no Luke McArthy.. McCarthy is also setting up a stable in QLD.. He had a bad night at Menangle as he only had a treble.. Ha Ha...

Markovina likes this post.

sonny said:

Hi Abby, Yes he is moving to the Charlton Complex an it is much cheaper and no Luke McArthy.. McCarthy is also setting up a stable in QLD.. He had a bad night at Menangle as he only had a treble.. Ha Ha...

Yeah McCarthy is like Hall and Bond combined - i also read recently that he is very impressed with Qld Harness - stake money and the direction its heading overall - thats why a stable up their 

Yeah Charlton complex - stabling - they did it up a couple of years ago - top complex with boxes on course - theve got Greg Norman from SA their - and probably advertised for other trainers - Sanderson should do well their - and his son use to work for David Aitken 
  • sonnysonny    1,054 posts
    Hi Markovina, Much cheaper barn rent than Menangle..
    No trots Friday either, hard to understand how all the other states managed and ours can’t
    Last April the only meeting Australia wide was a daylight meeting from Pinjarra.Hope like hell this hasn't got a run-on, then its anyones guess how many fridays could be missed.

Last April the only meeting Australia wide was a daylight meeting from Pinjarra.Hope like hell this hasn't got a run-on, then its anyones guess how many fridays could be missed.                    

Micks should have been onto it. Forgot it was Heathens Day (ha) in the west---  Friday 10th april Pinjarra trots ----Ascot & Kalg Races---- Mandurah dogs only meetings in Aus.--- wasn't covid related.            

• maybesomaybeso    84 posts
    Northam Cup night is Saturday. How can a club prepare for their biggest meeting of the year when there is no certainty on whether there will be racing, whether there will be patrons etc? It must be frustrating for the club manager, and the commitee. 
    maybeso said:

Northam Cup night is Saturday. How can a club prepare for their biggest meeting of the year when there is no certainty on whether there will be racing, whether there will be patrons etc? It must be frustrating for the club manager, and the commitee. 

In very capable hands with Hayley at the helm
  • aussiebattleraussiebattler    277 posts
    maybeso said:

Do we nominate for the weekends meetings ?
    These ex WA horses in NSW - Join The Que at Bathurst tonight - same ownership as all the others 

Now some of these horses to name 2  Minium Wage and JTQ - i never knew how to rate them  in WA - theyd put in a decent run or an absolute shocker 

JTQ - last start in WA - Busso stand - in the breeze off 30 - beaten 11 metres behind Jackygee ( off 10 - who wins every leap year ) they go 2.07 - home in 64 

2starts in NSW - last start at Menangle - 6th of 10 beaten 12 mts - gone 1.55 for 2300 - thats quick - and it didnt hug the pegs - and Lukey boy had a smart one in 

That Menangle run by JTQ ( and i watched a replay of it ) - wins the Busso race by 50 metres - there is more at play with these ex WA horses than just the handicapping
  • aussiebattleraussiebattler    277 posts
    Markovina said:

These ex WA horses in NSW - Join The Que at Bathurst tonight - same ownership as all the others 

Now some of these horses to name 2  Minium Wage and JTQ - i never knew how to rate them  in WA - theyd put in a decent run or an absolute shocker 

JTQ - last start in WA - Busso stand - in the breeze off 30 - beaten 11 metres behind Jackygee ( off 10 - who wins every leap year ) they go 2.07 - home in 64 

2starts in NSW - last start at Menangle - 6th of 10 beaten 12 mts - gone 1.55 for 2300 - thats quick - and it didnt hug the pegs - and Lukey boy had a smart one in 

That Menangle run by JTQ ( and i watched a replay of it ) - wins the Busso race by 50 metres - there is more at play with these ex WA horses than just the handicapping
    track and track conditions play a big part as well big difference between the tight turns of busso and Menangle 

Rocket_Reign, VillageKid likes this post.

Markovina said:

Yeah you’re definitely reading to much into that

VillageKid likes this post.

It will be interesting who the new president of Collingwood - now McGuire has gone 

I can remember years ago

Markovina said:

track and track conditions play a big part as well big difference between the tight turns of busso and Menangle 
    Dibaba blows a pretty big hole in your theory mate 

Very modest record in WA 130  starts for 4 wins and 5   2nds - a pretty limited horse

1ST UP at Penrith tonight - and Penrith isnt a big track - in fact its like one of those WA Goat tracks - 803 metres and 130 metre straight 

1720 metres - wins by 29 metres - and goes 1.56.4 - now to put that time in perspective - the track record is 1.53.6 - held by Ignatius who is a top free for aller 

These ex WA horses are improving in NSW - Blind Teddie can see that 
    The "hole" in the theory Marko is this....Dibaba far from a world beater, no argument there as you outlined above but his HWOE is close to $19k.......yet his NR is 30 such is the difficulty he had being competitive in the WA system. He has once twice in 1.56.1 over here, so not completely hopeless. NR gives him an opportunity to find a niche and his NR will balance out at his appropriate level. It was an awful field, NR less than 47 and 3 other horses with a NR of 30,  but granted, he went pretty well.

VillageKid likes this post.

• AbbysAceAbbysAce    560 posts
    JayJay said:

The "hole" in the theory Marko is this....Dibaba far from a world beater, no argument there as you outlined above but his HWOE is close to $19k.......yet his NR is 30 such is the difficulty he had being competitive in the WA system. He has once twice in 1.56.1 over here, so not completely hopeless. NR gives him an opportunity to find a niche and his NR will balance out at his appropriate level. It was an awful field, NR less than 47 and 3 other horses with a NR of 30,  but granted, he went pretty well.

Very good trainers in NSW or are WA trainers that bad?