G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 17 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,903 posts
    Taleah McMullen ( part of the McMullen clan in Qld ) shows you have to be really careful with horses - take nothing for granted - 

Been out for about 3 mths with collapsed lung - bruised kidney and spleen - taken in a helicopter to hospital from their property in excruciating pain 

Gearing up a horse to work - " He is usually really nice - he is usually a real sweet heart -- never kicked before - he double barrelled me - and got me really good in the ribs "

I can remember many many years ago Tony Buckley based around the Echuca area - a really good and experienced horseman - and he got kicked basically the same circumstances as her - and it killed him 

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,846 posts
    Fred Kersley kicked by a galloper a few years back received significant facial injuries. Few more experienced than Fred.

VillageKid, Markovina likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Peter Schrader was kicked by an old grey ex Tasmanian 14 y/o at GP one night many moons ago. He was gearing him up & the horse took fright and double barrelled him. Same thing...completely out of character for the old boy...Peter might have even had his spleen removed but I remember he was very sick for a long time.. I can remember everything except the horses name. Someone here will come up with it...handy old horse who might have just made it to FFAll company.
  • getthechangegetthechange    311 posts
    Adios Ken and yes Peter lost his spleen
    Good man GTC.....it was starting to annoy me that I couldn't dredge up his moniker :D
    Went across to Toodyay today to a small send off held for close friends of  harness racing  aficionado Jon Hope. 
    Jon passed away a couple of weeks ago after a long period of illness although he was only 60 years old.
    He posted here occasionally as @maybeso
    He was until recently a vice president of the Northam Harness Racing Club.
    Owned a few average horses over time including a couple of minor winners but was just happy to see them go around and be competitive.
    Jon had a very incisive mind in terms of handicapping & was always up for robust debate in that arena. 
    He was also very interested in breeding & researching successful southern hemisphere crosses.
    Generous & wry with his observations he was one of those understated personalities that inhabit & flesh out harness racing. It is poorer for his absence.
    Vale Hopey.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,669 posts
    Good onya Noel, I had a number of terrific exchanges with Jon on handicapping prior to and post the implementation of the current regime. He certainly understood the vagaries of the system better than most and accurately predicted a number of outcomes. The industry most certainly is poorer for Hopey's passing, 60 is miles too young.

curmudgeon, cisco, savethegame likes this post.

• BlacksAFakeBlacksAFake    2,373 posts
    Somebody check out R4 at Penrith last night and tell me honestly if the winner should have been disqualified :-?
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Watch the start and you will see why.
    #2 missed the start and he took some of its position before release point.
    Back to jail you go.
    I see he also got 21 days.
    Winner owned by Peter & Sue
    Peter&Sue Gianni that should say.
    Great supporters of pacing in WA and Kal in the past.

curmudgeon, savethegame likes this post.

Should have been false start then simples .
    Starter not doing his job

Should have been false start then simples .
    Starter not doing his job

No i watched a replay - and the replay on Tab Touch is  much better than the replay on AHR - because you see them scoring  up - and the 8 wasnt level with the 2nd row at the start - like he should  have been ( and if so wouldnt have been disqualified ) however the 8 horse was about 3 qts of a metre to a metre ahead of the 2nd line at release point 

Clear cut had to be disqualified 

When i 1st looked up the result  not knowing there had been a disqualification - and i saw the winner driven by Blake Fitzpatrick - that surprised me - because he is a relaxed and conservative driver - and alas he didnt do it he drove the 2nd horse 

That race reminded me of that Hobart Pacing Cup - in the aspect - that at the top of the straight - the blokes driving the 2nd and 3rd horses were super keen - in that if i can run second - i will get this race

Coincidentally I note Adios Ken won the JP Stratton Cup in 1980
    No not a false start.
    To put it bluntly he cheated the start.
    There was no interference to other runners so the starter cannot call false start. The starter cannot make a decision on that type of indiscretion it’s up to the stewards to review after the race.

Coincidentally I note Adios Ken won the JP Stratton Cup in 1980
    Yes, he was only 10 when he won the Stratton Cup, off 15m, beating Windy Jean and Ulakine. he came to WA fairly late in life, dual heat winner of a Tassie Pacing Championship in 1977, won a Metropolitan Cup and FFA's at Hobart, won 10 city races in WA, 8 at GP and 2 at Richmond. His sister was Lena Anne, an Oaks winner in Tassie. I have an inkling he may have ended up doing some Clerk Of Course work??
    Wasn’t late Frank Ellis double barrelled at GP.
    Memory serves me correct passed away as a result.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,805 posts

Wasn’t late Frank Ellis double barrelled at GP.
    Memory serves me correct passed away as a result.

Something to do with going over the line? in a race 
    Just out of interest - has anyone ever been to Albion Park - i havent 

I watched race 3 ( the replay is on Tabtouch ) and it was a trotters race - field spread out - and for the entire race - they have got this high aerial shot - ive never seen that before - re the background/surrounds - and i was looking at  itand watching that rather than the race 

And  from say the winning post - if you follow that as they proceed to the end of the back straight - the houses and buildings are cut into this huge hill - with nearly a castle half way down the back straight - with beautiful big trees in the surrounds 

Its a beautiful sight - and a beautiful spot - well worth a look

curmudgeon likes this post.

Frank had a heart attack straight after a race at GP. I think Aldo was working for him at the time.

curmudgeon, freodockers likes this post.

Markovina said:

Just out of interest - has anyone ever been to Albion Park - i havent 

I watched race 3 ( the replay is on Tabtouch ) and it was a trotters race - field spread out - and for the entire race - they have got this high aerial shot - ive never seen that before - re the background/surrounds - and i was looking at  itand watching that rather than the race 

And  from say the winning post - if you follow that as they proceed to the end of the back straight - the houses and buildings are cut into this huge hill - with nearly a castle half way down the back straight - with beautiful big trees in the surrounds 

Its a beautiful sight - and a beautiful spot - well worth a look

Yeah it’s prime land,been trying to sell it off for years,that castle is government house I feel ,lovely area ,Brekky Creek hotel over the road too B-)

Markovina likes this post.

Just watched the replays at Bendigo last night - Vic Oaks and Vic Derby heats 

The last race was a decent race - Bailey McDonough driving one of Emma Stewarts - got beaten a half head - when looked to be home 

Havent  been around horses for years - but i reckon that horse lost that race simply because it wasnt wearing a headcheck - and looking at a replay of the finish - all the other horses around it were 
    King of Swing ran a mighty race in the  Victoria Cup - ran 3rd - just couldnt quite hang on - did a power of work in the run

David Aitken trained the winner of the Cup - and also had the runner which fell in the straight - his son Josh should be in the olympic  gymanistic  team after that effort 

Ladies In Red - who won the Oaks making it 12 from 13 - i think it is the most outstanding filly/mare since Pride of Petite = i know it is a different gait - but its got that brilliance  about it 
    I know there always seems complaints a plenty on here but fair dinkum, have a look at the start of race 5 at GP tonight. How that was let go is beyond belief....either the mobile is no good or the starter is at fault. Put the false start light on and give every horse a fair chance, that should have been declared a no race.
  • Chopchop43Chopchop43    160 posts
    JayJay said:

I know there always seems complaints a plenty on here but fair dinkum, have a look at the start of race 5 at GP tonight. How that was let go is beyond belief....either the mobile is no good or the starter is at fault. Put the false start light on and give every horse a fair chance, that should have been declared a no race.

100% agreed, happening way too often, for an industry who's major concern is protecting the punter, this is becoming embarrassing
    Great effort by Hayden King in selecting Luvaflair as his best bet at GP yesterday. $14 into $10 on Tabtouch and much better elsewhere.

Also selected the quaddie for $12 for a dividend of $356.60 if you don't mind.

Can have a run of outs but if you keep following him you will find some value wimners.

Markovina likes this post.

Quaddie was $736 on NSW TAB!!!!!
    Not stirring - but there is too much negative stuff on this site ( and im talking Aust wide harness racing ) - because there is alot of great horses and exciting harness racing - and it would be a  super dull life without harness racing on a daily opinion 

As for mobile starts - and i did look at a replay of race 5 at GP -  the abbrieviated said - re numerous - OOP at start - no action taken - so that would suggest the wrong light came on - or something happened - however if thats the case they are late scratchings - but they wernt 

So why were half of the drivers all good and on the gate - and others wernt - if you look at the replay - the no 8  - on face value hasnt got an excuse in the world - hard up on the gate - then just drifts back - the 9 horse pretty close to the gate and drifts back - the 6 horse - i have got no idea what the driver was doing  way out of position - well why wernt horses 1-5 out of position ?- the 7 horse whjo was playing up - not interfering with anything -so who cares about it 

At the Candy pole, when they are all supposed to be in position, there were 3 horses....the 1, the 5 and the 10....in position ....and a lot of others hunting up to get there. My view is there is no way that start should have been let go....and that is not being negative, that is being factual.
    Hunting up no way - look at the 3 drivers  8 9 and 6 - the 8 was right on the gate - the 9 was within a length of the gate way before the start .  The no 6 - well like i say ive got no idea 
    At the CANDY POLE !