In this Discussion

Who's Online

1 Members & 30 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited February 2019
    Just off key for a second but this is harness/greyhounds - the other day in Victoria - a greyhound went all the way to the boxes and ran in the wrong numbered rug - race run cleanly - all over but who is this dog ?

Stewards afterwards abandoned the race - shouldn't this type of thing be picked up BEFORE the race ?? It's very slack at best.

Amazing sometimes the lack of checks and balances even in 2019. It's not the first time it's happened by a long shot.

This one just happened in the last couple of weeks - must locate the official stewards report - what good reading.

savethegame likes this post.

edited February 2019
    C.Murphy - now he is/was the son of "Philock" the track work/trial journalist for the "West Australian" newspaper ?

Recall "Philock's" track work write ups very well - a major requirement at the breakfast table before skool.
    He was a tipster in the west as well. Philock itself apparently was a pretty good horse before my time.

edited February 2019
    All up betting - very very rarely do all up's now...but if they come off - can be good collects - but these days prefer one bet at a time - that's more than enough.

Just the same all ups are not a bad way of betting - just two or three maximum. Two at say $3 gives you $9 - and that's a big collect - easier said than done though.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Yes riders philock was c.murphy dad he used to know over300 horses a morning once he had a name never forgot who they were.
    Just on the tote do you remember 57 year-old lady who was in the NSW control room . pulled the best rorts she was in control of event closed button had account s in fictous names would have bets ready to go onleaders wait till the 200metre to see if they were home ones that were well clear she would reopen betting for5_10seconds. got fortune before she was nailed always dubious about fav nos especially if you had prior knowledge what number would be allocated to say winx

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    You  can have luck punting

The best wrong bet which won for me - this would be over 10 years ago  - and it was with TAB.Com

I had approximately $500 in my account - re TAB.Com  NSW acct - i rang up for a Redcliffe race - trifecta 1 and 7 to win 1 and 7 for 2nd ( leader behind leader ) and 8 for 3rd ( 3 back the pegs hopefully and there is a sprint lane ) $5 unit  - total cost $10

The woman called the bet back - Redcliffe trots blah blah  1 and 7 from 1  and 7  field 3rd $5   total cost $80 . I said no no no no - i only want 8 for 3rd - she said  hang on a tick i will cancel it- i waited on for 25-30 seconds - she came back on and said - oh theve jumped - so she couldnt cancel it - i just hung up - thinking it was a dead duck

15 minutes later i rang up for a bet somewhere else - Ballarat trots  or wherever - read out my acct no - woman said balance $2200 approx - i said what was my last winning bet - she said Redcliife trots trifecta 5 times - $352 approx- the number 5 ran 3rd  . I did an immediate EFT for the whole $2200 - just in case they were going to change it
    edited February 2019
    The greyhound race that was abandoned due to the number 4 greyhound running in the number 3 rug is on the Tabtouch replay site - it's race 2 Ballarat 6th Febuary.

To think of all the oversights that would have to occur for this to happen is remarkable.
    Was the despised rank outsider and ran accordingly.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    Chariots of Fire race at Menangle tonight  was a fantastic race - pace on the all the way - Alford was very bullish about Poster Boy pre race  - and he delivered

I read  somewhere Alford holds the record 6700 career wins

His only other drive tonight 80-1 narrowly beaten - hes like Shannon - they jump on roughies - and can get them in the place money

Kodak's stall at GP had a mesh apparatus at the front to prevent him from trying to savage passing horses and people. He would charge at the mesh if anyone got close. Very speedy horse who went through to fast class but was a little short on stamina probably due to his pre race antics.
    CHARIOTS;; Just on kodak found old writeup where he won a sprint race as the outsider of the field, the article said he won 26 races in s.a. before  he came here and was purchased by milky evans......Friends tells a funny milky story he bet them 1grand eachway  a galloper called bells are calling at 66/1 he said if that wins ill throw in a bottle of  moet,as they handed him the money,It won as they went to see him regards when they get paid. he throw  a hundred at them for the moet and said hope you choke on it. then i wont have to settle., 
    edited February 2019
    Good to see the kiwi horse The Fixer return to winning form at Menangle, he had the $1.50 fave Tiger Tara well and truly covered up the long Menangle straight.

The stablemate Spankem in an earlier race at nearly $5 once in front it was all over especially with the short priced favourite Majordan galloping. Must be a curse to Majordan, he's obviously good, but sometimes when tune in he either dissapoints or gallops!

Many of the good judges said it was "put in take out" for Tiger Tara from the one draw, no not quite.
    RIDERS hows the memory regards miracle mile since 2009 its been at menagle how many winners have lead all the way....do remember smoken up sitting outside blacks a fake and nailing him in the shadows of the post.
    edited February 2019
    Will have to watch some replays stg..do recall Lazarus having the run of the race, one out one back and just scrambling into a place from memory.

This year's edition looks great except ( and realising the qualifying conditions ) does seem a bit silly how Ya Yas Hotspot and My Alpha Rock both 150/1 get runs ahead of Cruz Bromac and My Uncle Sam who would have added depth to the race and been place chances.

Six horses with a chance and two at write your own ticket.

Smoken Up was amazing - sitting up outside of Blacks A Fake and passing him - one of the great all time Miracle Mile victories.
    edited February 2019
    He's got the dreaded eight draw Tiger Tara ( will start from 7 if both emergencies come out ) - but look for him to come zooming across - however the long stretches and the never ending home straight will find him out.

He's equal second favourite. Can't win!

Now that's some incentive for him.

Just feel while an obvious threat something will grab him in the shadows of the post. Perhaps that other post - Poster Boy.

I'm leaning however to The Fixer - loves Menangle - will out grind them up the straight.
    1. The Fixer
    2. Poster Boy
    3. Tiger Tara
    4. Chase Auckland

No surprise to see Spankem run well and be a strong chance - and think you can do a lot worse than anchor the 6th favourite to run third or fourth for first four betting with the five main chances - My Field Marshall. Will start from the extreme outside draw - be driven quietly and at around 25/1 could rattle home into third or fourth.

The two bolters and stablemates Ya Ya and Alpha Rock would like to make a case for third or fourth but no - would be a big shock. Although they will go straight to the pegs and no matter where or what the track if you follow those pegs you're always a sneaky chance for third or fourth - but not for me, they will run anywhere from 6th to 8th and couldn't squeeze them in for first four betting.
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Looking at the barrier draws the lead is up for grabs so might be a crazy early burn.
    Might be a turnaround this year and the winner may come over the top of them.
    In this case i like Field Marshall, maturing as a top flight horse and will be primed one run back from a break.
    Wasn't a bad blow out on Saturday either.
    Having said that Tiger Tara best horse in field just feel the draw may create havoc and will get caught in no mans land if it goes forward and cant cross.

edited February 2019
    stg their is another classic race between Smoken Up and Blacks A Fake - it might have been the Ballarat Cup -after an early battle the leader in the race Rip 'N Roar think it's name was, a noted sit and sprint horse wouldn't hand up to Smoken Up - coming into the home straight Smoken Up worked his way to the lead only to be run down late by Blacks A Fake - Lance Justice has done the biggest turnaround in the sulky after the line and thrown the arm up into the air directed at the driver of Rip N Roar with some choice words. He was fuming.
    He had to look a fair way back too because Rip N Roar was along way behind.

Don't think their was any love lost between Justice and Rasmussen either. Both competitors. Even in that race Blacks A Fake cruised past but Smoken Up fought tooth and nail to the line. Just can't recall who drove Rip N Roar now.
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    B Gath

• Cant_RefuseCant_Refuse    198 posts
    There’s one horse that I’ve been watching for a while now and is crying out to win a race...Folsom Prison... Will do so with either some new found aggression or alot of luck....

Gilgamesh likes this post.

Fair dinkum kicking myself for not doing the old 1,8 - 1,8 - 9 trifecta at Pinjarra - Catastrophic Event to lead, Robert The Bruce trailing and Suzies Gem to go three back.
    Was never not going to be that result from 50 metres after the start, but if had have done it something would have been a moral to go wrong!
    edited February 2019
    Have a look at Matt McDermott tipping performance at Pinjarra so far today - he's tipped 6 of the first 7 winners on top.
    His four selections on the opening three races have run 1,2,3,4.
    The race he got "wrong" just had first and second wrong way around.
    Amazing tipping performance.
    To get three consecutive first four results from the first three races that's not bad at all.

VillageKid likes this post.

edited February 2019
    He tipped that quinella at $5 - just had them wrong way around again. 6 winners from 8 races and only had the other two wrong way around which still gave him the quinella. Not far off tipping the card.
    Hope he likes a bet!

Finished with six winners and three seconds from nine on top selections. Big effort.

VillageKid, savethegame likes this post.

edited February 2019
    Wonder if any commentators like to have a bet whilst calling the race - George G did! Sits perfectly ok with me..some disagree and say racing commentators shouldn't bet on a race their calling - no problems with me, their entitled to have a wager like any member of the public.

Recall a mate putting $50 a win on a horse for a commentator at Richmond Raceway - the name of the horse was Prohibited - ran third. Recall because thought if he reckons it's good enough to win I'll back it a place! Was a very good run too at about 7/1.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    I would be surprised if any of the race callers over the years didn’t have a punt Riders.
    I have no issue with it and with some of the callers like George G & S Shenton it added a touch of colour to their calls especially when they went awry!!

Ridersonthestorm33, savethegame likes this post.

The puppet will have to pull the right strings early regards what horse he sits  on if his lucky enough to hold MFM                 .;;One of .Purdons  would be on a early march you would think.. ...Tiger may  strike midrace....should have everything ..Only time a bigger track works when the tophorses are racing because if they run the arm you got nowhere to hide
    edited February 2019
    Purdons for use of a better word have "stuffed" up a few big races recently - but say stuffed in the lightest sense of the word. Bad barrier draws haven't helped.

However they won't be making any mistakes with this three pronged attack, they are determined to get one back on Tiger Tara - one of Purdons will win!

Chris Alford - still driving in superlative form ( better than ever ? ) must be giggling at barrier one for Poster Boy. Think The Poster maybe bit risky in someway at the price but wouldn't be laying just the same, not with him driving.

Tiger Tara's only hope is to get across and get across fast - if he beats the NZ connection and Alford and wins from an outside draw - that's huge.

If was bookmaking would be laying he can't - but seen far stranger things.

edited February 2019
    The old Harold Park Miracle Mile for many years only ran six. Two laps of HP, but for Menangle it's a short run to the winning post and then just a lap to go - but it's one big lap!

What noticed on the weekend - if their good horses and up tempo speed - GP and Menangle - trotting hits the heights no matter what the size of the track.

Collie again on the weekend - pace on and moves galore - Menangle last Saturday night great to watch. Good quality pacing is just that.

What got GP off to a great start was race one having Herrick Roosevelt out in 9 and Bettor Aim in 12 - only one ran a place ( 3rd ).
    Immediately produced a groove for the rest of the evening.

The free for all horses - nearly a different winner every week - what an even bunch.

curmudgeon, savethegame likes this post.

The only certainty nothing will hold a match to mount edens performance     This year on sept..6th marks 50years since mount eden began his career at the golden mile;711 yard circuit';or 650metres  within six months he had set state. track. Australasian records,and a world record for 12 furlongs.Hope rwwa are reminded to have a tribute  night for the freak,my records show there is only  four reinsman maybe five, that are still living that competed at the round of 69. john,pyrce,,tom groves,maurice grubsia,des stockman hope I haven't put anyone in the pine box before there time. not sure on d.c. wegner,hope they would be invited as special guests,,   

edited February 2019
    Coincidentally just watched a replay of Mt Edens Miracle Mile win on You Tube, you don't lose that much ground and still win an event of that stature do you ?

Was interesting also seeing the Pure Steel v Satinover "sparring" before the start of the match race - the get out of my way attitude - when heard the roar of the crowd on You Tube as the two stallions came together that's exactly how recall it. Was at the top of the straight - a sea of people and thinking what was that roar all about!

Never forget those two bumper stickers that were prevalent in the week leading up to the event.
    In blue and white - It's A Steal - Go Pure Steel!
    In red and white - It's All Over - Go Satinover!

Had the it's all over go Satinover on the back of the HR Holden for many years.

A radio station here about 10-15 years ago ran a competition - along the lines of "lost things of Perth" ...you had to find and bring into the station - the cash prize was huge - one of the things they required was...a bumper sticker of the Pure Steel v Satinover match race. Oh to have kept one.

Think at the time of the match race it was a petrol station who got those stickers flowing. Many cars had their favourite sticker - Pure Steel or Satinover on the back window or bumper.
    edited February 2019
    Paid just under 2k for that 1967 HR Holden in 1982 - great car was worth about $3.50...was often told by family members - that Vic Park seller definetly got car salesman of the year award.

Bought it on a Saturday morning - one problem - had no idea how to drive it - "three on the tree gear shift" ...kangaroo hopped it around the suburbs for several weeks before could get the hang of those gears!

It did look the part though - and did ok in the long run.

I remember the salesman asking me if wanted to "test drive" before buying...i sheepishly replied no that's ok...and under my breathe thinking - I wouldn't know how.
    He then said did I want to look under the bonnet ?
    Once again - no point - wouldn't know what I was looking at!

As the car lurched and kangaroo hopped out of the car yard - i glanced back in the rear view mirror - the fella was clutching 2k in his hands on a cold Saturday morning - he never saw that coming - but most of all he was smiling!
    edited February 2019
    The match race was in 1980 - so must have kept that sticker awaiting for my first car and can recall placing the Satinover one proudly on. Even though he lost!

To think still had 1980-81 years of skool to go when that race was run is incredible. The thought I kept the sticker in pristine condition until purchasing first car even more so.

Felt sorry for Satinover and connections that night - Pure Steel was far too good and probably could have won by more - still swear black and blue Satinover was slightly off that night - however that's taking nothing away from a freak in Pure Steel.

Bookmakers official SP that night - 4/6 Satinover and 1/1 Pure Steel.
    With hindsight the greatest even money bet of all time - that's why think had something like 60 to win 40 on Satinover.
    edited February 2019
    Soon will be 50 years since Mt Eden Miracle Mile win and 40 years since Pure Steel v Satinover. Just before my time Mt Eden, but would have said match race 15 - 20 years ago haha.
    40 years ago is madness.

Pretty sure got 8/11 or 4/5 Satinover - was always chasing that best price. Nothing more annoying taking 4/6 when another bookmaker shot up 8/11.
    Still the same today - if you're serious it's important to get the best odds available.
    Punters should be price sensitive - whether they are or not - am not so sure.