In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 31 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Chariots funny

Chariots nice you mention Tony and Fred in the same post.
    Tony passed away about 18 months ago and Fred said a few words at his funeral.
    Fred passed away in January as all are probably aware.
    They were great mates for years until the end.
    Both probably having a beer and a laugh as we speak.

Ridersonthestorm33, VillageKid likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts

Another guy - straight through the guts, never missed, towards the end of his career he saw the light and came to East Perth too - Perth legend Murray Cooper.

True story
    I played in a pre season possibles versus probables at Lathlain Park .....year after they won their last flag so it was 1978. Got told to keep the boots on and along with a couple of mates ( one was John Duffy the father of former Docker now American Football punter Max Duffy) we got added to the league squad game. 
    From memory I ruck roved changing with Alan Johnson and The Buzz.
    Trying to impress I got hold of the pill deep in a pocket and ignoring everyone slotted a pretty fair goal over the head of Robert Wiley even if I do say so myself.
    Murray Couper whose lead I ignored ran over and said  " good goal mate....but next time kick it to me ". 
    :))  Think I got the arsse the next week 
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited February 2019
    Haha that's funny..think Murray Couper was a policeman too?!
    Alan Johnson - went onto a great career at Melbourne. Huge surprise packet he was.

VillageKid likes this post.

edited February 2019
    There was a country pacer many moons ago, very one paced, by that mean slow - his name - East Perth!
    Only had a few runs from memory.
    JK Watts in his Sunday Independent write ups used to call Murray Couper  ...Super Duper Trooper Couper riders.
    edited February 2019
    Yes Wattsie and Bob Cribb are two can remember writing for the Sunday Independent.

Now with me being a good left footer ( Catholic )...their was a weekly Catholic newspaper "The Record" only folded up in the last few years...well on the back page for many years had Arthur Thornton writing up articles and tips for GP and Rod Evans doing the same for the races!
    Could you imagine that now!!

They were the only articles I read must admit. But was a popular paper with me just the same.

curmudgeon, savethegame, VillageKid likes this post.

What was Brian Burkes trot guide called again riders ?

edited February 2019
    Think he went as ambassador to the Holy Sea as well as gaol. Good Labor premier - just a bit crooked haha.

curmudgeon likes this post.

Think Arthur Thornton might have been the father of Barry Thornton who was a very fast bowler for South Perth with the nickname - Grunter. May have played a Sheffield Shield game or two. Bob Buckland another quickie at South Perth.
    The breeding of East Perth although easily slipped through at the time would not be replicated in the era of the modern day registrar riders  =;

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts

Yes Wattsie and Bob Cribb are two can remember writing for the Sunday Independent.

Now with me being a good left footer ( Catholic )...their was a weekly Catholic newspaper "The Record" only folded up in the last few years...well on the back page for many years had Arthur Thornton writing up articles and tips for GP and Rod Evans doing the same for the races!
    Could you imagine that now!!

They were the only articles I read must admit. But was a popular paper with me just the same.

When Wattsie died - someone put up on social media  a blooper real - its hilarious - only goes for 3 minutes

I dont know how to do it - but maybe someone can put it up in this site

Kingsize Big and Tall -Polly Farmer /John K Watts blooper real Kingsize menswear

edited February 2019
    Got a feeling Debbie Evans ( think Rod's daughter ) finished up taking over from Rod at "The Record" and wrote more articles from the breeding side of things.
    Think she wrote for the "Western Mail" too.

Was just mentioning to somebody the other day that journo Craig Parnham definetly related to the racing Parnhams.

Totally amazing to have a newspaper with 95% religious content and this other 5% where two well known identities get stuck into pacing and racing. You wouldn't read about it!

curmudgeon, savethegame likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    J.K.WATTS loved giving it to the garlic munchers....tony&maria got married never had got past holding hands,maria wasn't aware tony only had one foot ,typical cardie,Mums given them the master bedroom ,upstairs to consummate the marriage  getting down to skins maria spots tony has only got one foot,she bolts downstairs screaming mamma mia. mamma mia.

mother whats up maria.she said tonys only got a one foota       Oh  well here maria you keep stirring the spaghetti,,,,  jkwatts  nothing new here another one footed garlic muncher

VillageKid, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts
    @curmudgeon Burke's publication was "Punters Guide", co produced with Gino De Mori. They used to flog it in person outside the front gates at GP each Friday night....it was essential buying in the days prior to computers, internet etc.
    Thanks JayJay ....for some reason Best Bets wouldn't leave my mind but I knew it wasn't right.
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    edited February 2019
    J.K Watts what a character he was on the radio and TV.
    There was a handy pacer in WA racing around at the time he was dominating the airwaves called Watsie as well, I’m pretty sure he ran in a WA Pacing Cup in the mid 80s.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    An update of league footballers who became bookmakers:

Bob Howat, Ray Lucev, Neville Hebbard - West Perth
    Peter Quinn, Ted Worsfald (John's Father) - East Perth
    Simon Beasley, Ross Cooper - Swan Districts
    Charlie Osmetti - South Fremantle
    Lidsay Kanther - Claremont
    John Sarre - Subiaco

Couldn't find one from Perth and East Fremantle unless someone can help.

Numerous bookies clerks also:

Keith Shorthill, John Wynne, Leffie Gelavis, Ken Holt, George Bailey, Bob Garman to name a few.

Associate members Dockers Chairman Rick Hart and Umpire Clive Hills.

Yes, old Watsie, one of the Bill Steer bred horses by Culver Pick...no champ but he went pretty good. From memory, he was a brother or close relation of a really good horse, Hands Turn. He got better as he got older. I reckon he won a heat of the Pacing Cup or a Free For All in fast class or maybe both. I know he ran 2nd in an August Cup .....I was on him and one of those FRK SA horses beat him...Rite or Ritual or Alladins Lamp......one of them anyway.

J.K Watts what a character he was on the radio and TV.
    There was a handy pacer in WA racing around at the time he was dominating the airwaves called Watsie as well, I’m pretty sure he ran in a WA Pacing Cup in the mid 80s.

I was at GP one night when Watsie the pacer ( i think GD Harper trained it ) was backed off the map

I can remember that plump bookmaker with a bit of a beard - and a permanent cheesy grin fixed on his face - George Truscott - he was fielding - and the bloke in the straw hat and Hawaiian short - said i will have $2000 on that George - and George said you can $1000 on it ( amazing how you remember stuff like that - but back then there was an actual betting ring - and it had atmosphere

The horse was so heavily backed - about 9s into 5/2 - so much so - that chief steward Rod ( or is it Allan ) Osborne - went out onto the track - where the horses were milling at the start -and he said to all drivers - theve only backed one horse in this race - and you all know what it is - and im going to be watching all of you - like a blooody hawk . Thats what i call good hands on common sense stewardship

Watsie duly saluted though

edited March 2019

An update of league footballers who became bookmakers:

Bob Howat, Ray Lucev, Neville Hebbard - West Perth
    Peter Quinn, Ted Worsfald (John's Father) - East Perth
    Simon Beasley, Ross Cooper - Swan Districts
    Charlie Osmetti - South Fremantle
    Lidsay Kanther - Claremont
    John Sarre - Subiaco

Couldn't find one from Perth and East Fremantle unless someone can help.

Numerous bookies clerks also:

Keith Shorthill, John Wynne, Leffie Gelavis, Ken Holt, George Bailey, Bob Garman to name a few.

Associate members Dockers Chairman Rick Hart and Umpire Clive Hills.

Charlie Osmetti (captain/ coach) was my first coach in senior football MRFC in Kalgoorlie. Great person and someone you tried your hardest for on the field. As a young bloke playing some hard nuts in country footy you always knew Chas would be about the place if anyone tried to be a bit too out of line with his players.Think he is retired in Esperance now but for a while there he was curator of the Esperance Turf Club track following a lifetime of work with the education dept. Loved a punt.

JayJay may help me with this one.

East Perth great Jack Sheedy went through the then reinsmens' school in the 1960s but I am not sure that he ever drive in an official race.
    I wish I could Chariots....there were a couple of Jack Sheedy's including the Busselton based stalwart who I think was a life member of the Busselton Club. I don't recall Bible Jack ever driving ...he may have but it might be a case of sharing a common name with Busselton Jack???? will endeavour to find out.
    edited March 2019
    Another good replay to watch - first race today Alexandra Park NZ and the two Purdon stablemates - it's an old one - but a good one.
    JayJay said:

I wish I could Chariots....there were a couple of Jack Sheedy's including the Busselton based stalwart who I think was a life member of the Busselton Club. I don't recall Bible Jack ever driving ...he may have but it might be a case of sharing a common name with Busselton Jack???? will endeavour to find out.

Definitely went through the school as he told me himself and drove one of Mick Cooper's horses.

Spoke to Alan Parker about it...his first thoughts were that it was Busselton Jack but there was something nagging away in the back of his mind that Football Jack did go through the school. He is away for the next week but will hunt through his records when he gets back. Will pass on the Mick Cooper connection.
    edited March 2019
    Not forgetting Wattsie wrote the lyrics to the Royals club song - East Perth Forever Boys - to the tune of the famous American hit - Anchors Aweigh.

One of the better club songs too.
    Also wrote the Swan Districts club song.
    Yes the name East Perth for a horse wouldn't sit right today - reckon had 2 or 3 starts up the bush late 70s. Form line read something like 8,7,0.
    Curmudgeon kindly sent me the breeding for East Perth - was foaled in 1970! Had second thoughts was I just imagining that there was a pacer called East Perth, but that's good evidence!
    What do recall is a little article in the "Daily News" at the time mentioning that the owners were of course East Perth supporters - that's going right right back in time.
    Im not a football punter - i might have a bet once every  3 years

Thursday night i was listening to that 6PR sports show on the way home in the car - David Shorte ( who i quite like ) he came on as he does each week  - representing WA TAB - with all the weekend betting

Eagles v Cats - i can remember him saying $1.40 $2.80 respectively . Then he mentioned 1st goal scorer - i think Sheed was mentioned . Then  he said Hawkins - i forget the price - he was the shortest for the visiting team

Then i watch it last night - he didnt play - he didnt even fly over - the visiting team would have got here mid Thurs afternoon at the latest - what an absolute rort

Ive heard Riders say - in Inter-Dom betting - they have horses listed in their markets - who aernt even final acceptors - or got injured 4 weeks ago - blooody joke