G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 15 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• JayJayJayJay    7,630 posts
    Geezus, some win Lochinvar Art, last quarter need clearance from air traffic control.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    1st & 2nd both outstanding...King of Swing did all the work early and fought on well in track record time. Clearly the 2 best horses in that race. Should have some great clashes over the next few months.
  • maybesomaybeso    84 posts
    maybeso said:

Succinctly put,  and accurate.......and therein lies the problem that no amount of bandaids, eligibility clauses, NE clauses and $L5  can ever fix. Any win under HWOE is a lifetime penalty, it is a horse population killer.
    The race labelling in WA has become a farce. Take race 6 at Bunbury tonight as an example.

CONDITIONED L7/8(CL9).

The eligibility clause is: L7/8 (CL9) HWOE LT $32,500 (CONCESSIONS HWOE LT $40,000) AE - HWOE LT $70,000 With L5$ LT $2,250. AE 4YO+ HWOE LT $55,000 With 0 Metro Staked Wins as a 3YO or Older and LT 3 Wins L10 and 10+ WA starts. Preference to HWOE $18,500+ (RL8) (Concessions for Novice Driver,Fillies & Mares)

Pure gibberish.
    And that is the new and improved simplified version that was meant to clarify everything. A Pitt Street lawyer couldn't make it any worse.

And yes, no knock on King Of Swing also outstanding.
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    How good the drive Lochinvar Art 10/10.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,890 posts

It was a brilliant drive by Moran - which won him the race- and all credit to him

However in my opinion - John Caldow ( who drove one of the Craig Cross stablemates - the 1 trailing the leader at the bell ) would have come back to a very frosty reception from the stable - especially The King of Swing connections 

Horses aernt machines - and i dont care how many drives youve had - when your participating in any race - you have to have 1000% concentration  - because horses can do things - like switch off a touch 

In my opinion he should have kept the leaders back at the bell - but somehow he didnt - and because of that King of Swing got  beat - and Lochinvar Art was victorious

VillageKid likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Markovina said:

It was a brilliant drive by Moran - which won him the race- and all credit to him

However in my opinion - John Caldow ( who drove one of the Craig Cross stablemates - the 1 trailing the leader at the bell ) would have come back to a very frosty reception from the stable - especially The King of Swing connections 

Horses aernt machines - and i dont care how many drives youve had - when your participating in any race - you have to have 1000% concentration  - because horses can do things - like switch off a touch 

In my opinion he should have kept the leaders back at the bell - but somehow he didnt - and because of that King of Swing got  beat - and Lochinvar Art was victorious

Spot on assessment Marko.
    I daresay Caldow wont be getting a drive for the McCarthy stable any time soon when they are next in Vic for a team hit and run mission!

Markovina likes this post.

Not sure Caldow can shoulder all the blame....Balraj was a very ordinary performer in NZ prior to coming over to NSW where he has obviously thrived and seemingly "grew a couple of extra legs" as the saying goes, one of which he left behind at Menangle prior to coming down to Melton. Looked like he hung and hit a couple of marker pegs and that allowed Moran to slot in behind King Of Swing for a breather....well, that's what it looked like to me.....but in the end, Balraj just couldnt go, he dropped right out (he had plenty of mates). Outside the first two, Bling went fantastic but the others just got blown away. Class will do that everytime. Barring Caldow getting out and carrying Balraj, I don't think he could have done much more.
    JayJay said:

Not sure Caldow can shoulder all the blame....Balraj was a very ordinary performer in NZ prior to coming over to NSW where he has obviously thrived and seemingly "grew a couple of extra legs" as the saying goes, one of which he left behind at Menangle prior to coming down to Melton. Looked like he hung and hit a couple of marker pegs and that allowed Moran to slot in behind King Of Swing for a breather....well, that's what it looked like to me.....but in the end, Balraj just couldnt go, he dropped right out (he had plenty of mates). Outside the first two, Bling went fantastic but the others just got blown away. Class will do that everytime. Barring Caldow getting out and carrying Balraj, I don't think he could have done much more.

No cant agree - what you have said would be correct if Caldows drive from say the 800 metre mark just kept losing ground - but it didnt 

It was hard up on the back of Morans horse to about the 350 - then the top 2 horses put the accelerator down and kicked away 

He should have kept leaders back - the horse was travelling well enough to do that to about the 300- 350 metre mark 

No excuses - maybe a lack of concentration at the bell however 
    The winner was simply too good.
    As it stands was a greet drive but dare i say it could have breezed last 1000 and still won.
    As for Balraj it was just not up for to the class on the night, according to Moran was hitting a knee when it lost ground probably because it was starting to feel the pressure. If any driver should be criticised for allowing Loachinvar Art to get to the fence it’s the driver of the horse in front.
    In the end made no difference the winner was simply too good, my opinion only.
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,719 posts
    Caldo wouldn’t be in the top 20 drivers in Vic
    Gilgamesh said:

Caldo wouldn’t be in the top 20 drivers in Vic

Actually his older brother Peter Caldow was a top notch young driver - but tragically got killed in a motor vehicle accident on the way to Mildura trots one night - that is many many years ago 
    John Caldow currently sits 7th on Vic Metro drivers premiership.

Gilgamesh likes this post.

Sorry correct myself, Caldo wouldn’t be in my top 20 drivers in Vic (may also be a slight over statement).

He is just someone that I can’t recall ever thinking after a race “that was a great drive”

JayJay likes this post.

Yes, I get your point, currently not terribly high profile but a gun driver for a long time. Link below gives some background to his journey.

cisco, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• ciscocisco    805 posts
    Its a bit like a football coach Gilga the driver is only as good as his stable and presently he doesnt have too many top class horses.

John would be in my top ten.

Cheers cisco
    I am showing my age but I do remember John Caldow coming to Perth possibly in the mid-late 80s for a junior drivers series where he was representing VIC.
    Showed promise as a driver back then and has had a good 30+ year career in the sulky since.

I am just not sure he tried all that hard to keep Balraj on KOS's back and thus force LA to sit in the breeze for longer but it probably didnt matter in the end with LA too good regardless and yes Balraj on the trip down must have lost one of the extra legs he has grown since arriving at the McCarthy stable!!!

cisco likes this post.

Caldow represented Vic In 93 Tasmania drivers series. Later that year a relatively unknown driver replaced him for Vic in NZ series Chris Alford.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,788 posts
    John Caldow virtually been know as Mr consistant as driver years ago he achieved 17 consecutive season driving 100 winners, he would have felt this is going nowhere old school driver,started to hang.in knowing that. whats the point. just letting ,and not be a hi ndrace- to anyone--- plus Moran applied the 6/10ths of the unwritten rule my head is in and my front and you aren't traveling that well plus a little of the big V.

More concerned with cross stable having 5 runners three underwent vxar after race two stood down requiring vet certificate.Gee hope the stableboy hasn't got the artificial legs mixed up.

J.C ---Maseratis became a putt- putt bang bang
    Just for a exercise go back through balraj career interesting.

Gilgamesh, VillageKid likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    You have to love the trotters. Race 1 Pinjarra 3 of the 6 starters broke including the $1.15 favourite.

Have not entered into the trotting abyss for over two years and it definitely removes some punting stress.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,788 posts
    edited October 2020
    Not a huge fan but the first 4 pool and tri pools hold on tab touch biggest pools have been race 1 things can change after three when tradies Go to there locals for couple pints and few bets but so far the trot holds sway
  • Rocket_ReignRocket_Reign    841 posts
    Markovina said:

JayJay said:

No cant agree - what you have said would be correct if Caldows drive from say the 800 metre mark just kept losing ground - but it didnt 

It was hard up on the back of Morans horse to about the 350 - then the top 2 horses put the accelerator down and kicked away 

He should have kept leaders back - the horse was travelling well enough to do that to about the 300- 350 metre mark 

No excuses - maybe a lack of concentration at the bell however 

Very harsh on poor Caldow looked simply like Balraj didn’t handle the bends, must get on a knee that would explain why he was able to get hard back up on Morans back down the back straight

PackedMetalPanda, JayJay likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts

Not a huge fan but the first 4 pool and tri pools hold on tab touch biggest pools have been race 1 things can change after three when tradies Go to there locals for couple pints and few bets but so far the trot holds sway

A vary large percentage of those exotics would have anchored Princess Mila with punters left lamenting.

PackedMetalPanda likes this post.

Is there a fire in the vicinity of Pinjarra? 
    As it is looking rather smokey/hazey in this last race there today.
    That naughty Lindsay Harper is at it again, actually making the races well, races. You could almost see the look of disdain through the tv as the two drivers took him in and he didn’t hand up

VillageKid, curmudgeon likes this post.

Gilgamesh said:

That naughty Lindsay Harper is at it again, actually making the races well, races. You could almost see the look of disdain through the tv as the two drivers took him in and he didn’t hand up

The way Eldaytona went (and is going) he had every right to hold the lead and not hand up to the Hall horse on debut.

Gilgamesh, curmudgeon likes this post.

• Rocket_ReignRocket_Reign    841 posts

Gilgamesh said:

The way Eldaytona went (and is going) he had every right to hold the lead and not hand up to the Hall horse on debut.

Yep agree nothing wrong with that, the problem as I’ve always stated is when he’s 100/1 and he bbqs the odds on pops and drops out and runs last

Is there a fire in the vicinity of Pinjarra? 

As it is looking rather smokey/hazey in this last race there today.
    Controlled burn off down the road near Yarloop VK, fuel load minimisation to avoid that disaster from a few years back..... I ran into it on way home, hadn't arrived by the time I departed the track about 2.30 but sea breeze would have blown it up the coast.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Certainly a huge effort by the Westbreds to quinella the very competitive 2 y/o race at Pinjarra today. The winner well driven and the runner up driven to display its ability which it did in spades.
    The kiwi imports less so..
    Nice types being bred in WA.

VillageKid, Gilgamesh likes this post.

I think Curmudgeon has made a hit/run visit to Penrith tonight

I think Curmudge was driving that thing in the 1st race - the thing which led and took a sit - like back in his heyday i reckon he would have worn a conservative coloured helmet like that one - hey