G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 20 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• Rocket_ReignRocket_Reign    841 posts

Few comments some time ago saying LBH is past it.
    Think he’s waking a few of the young guns up a bit.
    Great to see he’s adding something to driving we have been missing for a long time (Markos comments).
    BTW he’s forgotten more than most know about driving.

What’s the percentage of leaders that win? I would say it’s much much lower for Lindsay on a leader, launch everything you’ll win every now and then I suppose
    Without LBH being awake early on in the 1st and prepared to roll the dice I don't think you run first 3 Rocket. Send him a thank you card. Superb drive to get beaten...made it an interesting spectacle. 
    I notice Stephen Reed has got Lindsay on Bletchley Park from gate 1 in the Fremantle Cup .....most tactically aggressive driving engagement for years. 

Few comments some time ago saying LBH is past it.
    Think he’s waking a few of the young guns up a bit.
    Great to see he’s adding something to driving we have been missing for a long time (Markos comments).
    BTW he’s forgotten more than most know about driving.

What’s the percentage of leaders that win? I would say it’s much much lower for Lindsay on a leader, launch everything you’ll win every now and then I suppose
    Without LBH being awake early on in the 1st and prepared to roll the dice I don't think you run first 3 Rocket. Send him a thank you card. Superb drive to get beaten...made it an interesting spectacle. 
    I notice Stephen Reed has got Lindsay on Bletchley Park from gate 1 in the Fremantle Cup .....most tactically aggressive driving engagement for years. 

Why would I thank him? His over aggressiveness won me a race? Swings and roundabouts I’m sure it’ll cost plenty more in the future I was just on the right side of one
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    You can't call his drive yesterday over aggressive. He drove a horse that is stronger than it is quick to its capability. In the finish he was beaten 1.1 m after breezing and being in front with 20m to go...if he lets Brownie creep around he goes to the front and Lindsay struggles to earn. He would know as does everyone that Brownies horse is a problem child and the test brought it undone...that was an x factor and it nearly won the race.
    Your horse finished off well..he seems a bit stronger this time around.

The Fremantle Cup will gain a bit of interest ..... what are the instructions to LBH ?

JayJay, Offthebit, Rocket_Reign likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    I think personally its great that Lindsay has a drive in the Fremantle  Cup - and good on Stephen Reed for giving him the drive 

2 points - and i dont want to open a can of worms - but the time he spent on the outer - just my opinion - if they had the set up like they have got for example in Vic today  - where there are all these tribunals where you can appeal - i mean it is a much better set up and a much fairer set up - where someone can through proper channels re an appeal - all the decisions are public - you can read them - and the ones presiding can be magistrates/judges JPs - so you get properly heard and a very fair result 

The 2nd point is - he was a champion driver - and looking at him last night - he still looks like a natural lightweight - which is very important in my opinion - and his drive on Whitemans horse was 1st class 
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    I recall Lindsay saying somewhere (on radio I think) that Heng Heng lacks brilliance or is one paced (or similar), so wasn't surprised he drove him tough and put pressure on Magic Eye Mick....who is very problematical at this stage of his career....talented but troublesome. Those type of horses can make a driver look bad, get Dylan to drive him. Just my opinion mind you.....I think in this instance the "aggressiveness" was warranted but Desiderio still had to finish off, and he did, very well.

First 200m of the Freo Cup will tell a story....should/ may be pressure coming from everywhere.
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Markovina WA has a Racing Appeals Tribunal chaired by a Magistrate where any disqualified person can take their case.

Failing that there is the court system and I think Lindsay exhausted all his options.

I did think however that once his disqualification was up he was entitled to return provided he met the relevant criteria.

Markovina likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Interesting statistic on LBH.

He has had one winner from his last 200 drives when he hasn't led.

Cant_Refuse, Rocket_Reign likes this post.

Statistics hey - as Jay Jay correctly said - you can selectively pick any to suit your line of  argument

And LBH in his comeback - would have been driving plenty of 50 to 60 to 0ne pops on screaming leader /peg  dominated tracks like Bunbury and GP 

However the statistic i would be interested  in re LBH  - is his total number of winners - plus total number of GP wins - plus state driving premierships - maybe world title ( i dont know if he  jagged one  of them )

Then the ones who are bagging him - might pause and say Wow - especially when they consider it to their achievements 
    Markovina said:

Statistics hey - as Jay Jay correctly said - you can selectively pick any to suit your line of  argument

And LBH in his comeback - would have been driving plenty of 50 to 60 to 0ne pops on screaming leader /peg  dominated tracks like Bunbury and GP 

However the statistic i would be interested  in re LBH  - is his total number of winners - plus total number of GP wins - plus state driving premierships - maybe world title ( i dont know if he  jagged one  of them )

Then the ones who are bagging him - might pause and say Wow - especially when they consider it to their achievements 

I have no doubt and would not argue the fact he WAS a champion driver, the game past him for one reason or another in his time off
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    I suspect most of LBH's many winning drives over the years have been by leading or breezing.

curmudgeon likes this post.

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    In his younger years he mostly drove for his old man and with all due respect none of them were leaders or breezes.
    Came into his own when he started training his own horses. Did his time on tracks like York and was one of the best from the stand.
    Was one of the best sit sprint drivers around.
    More than held his own against the likes of Lewis, Kersley and Warwick and IMO was just as good.
    Yes he may have lost a bit since is break but who cares he is driving as good as most going around at the moment.
    Good luck to him.

Offthebit likes this post.

• PictureSon1973PictureSon1973    138 posts
    Lindsay in his prime was something pretty special other leading drivers in that 1990’s Early 2000s
    Period couldn’t go with him .
    Let’s see how the Gun Drivers of todays era are travelling in 30 years time given the Calibre of
    Horse that he gets to drive know when they’re past their prime .
    The Senior Drivers like Lindsay’s generation done the hard yards .
    Tough as Nails and have got a Personality

Offthebit likes this post.

• Cant_RefuseCant_Refuse    198 posts
    Any chance the caliber of horse he is driving now is also a direct reflection on how good he is actually driving?

Rocket_Reign likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    jay jay-------last  little sprint up before freo cup ---what was significant about im themighty quinn----and the freo cup.
    A pandoras box there STG, could be any number of things.......arrested for giving windburn to the opposition?  He won 3 of them plus a second and a 3rd.....I think Shane Cramp drove him the year he ran 3rd and then again in the Pacing Cup when he ran 2nd He won the Freo Cup from the stand (one of the last before in went mobile), he raced in  it twice in the one year due to a date change for that third and a win (2009, January and December) and he wore saddle cloth number 8 in each attempt. Is losing a up race to Dasher VC significant? Aside from that, I'm stuffed if I know.

savethegame likes this post.

Lovers Delight led an Inters final for Stephen Reed & ACL from gate 1. Lennytheshark was too good on the night but he had to earn it and the other horse earned $260 K for a don't die wondering second.
    Good luck LBH handing up the advantage he already has through the way the marbles fell.
    I read you but I suspect he will need a cheap quarter or two, which he might or might not get. If he does hold up and stay there, the whole complexion will change especially if one of the main two get posted 3 deep, potentially a lot of pressure. Fascinating scenario I think...I'm just polishing the shoes for an early getaway, after all, it's not often that one has a full brother to a live place chance in the race. Sadly, Ocean Ridge hasn't had a chat to Ocean Beach to inform him of his genetic potential, what do they say, a Ferrari compared to a Mini Minor. Ridge could be a late closer for a drum, go Deni.

curmudgeon likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Sprinted up brilliantly Jay Jay-- Im themighty quinn only horse to win a freo cup from stand & mobile----you should now back 6 winners,------,as long you don't suck wind--- ha.ha.

Lovers Delight led an Inters final for Stephen Reed & ACL from gate 1. Lennytheshark was too good on the night but he had to earn it and the other horse earned $260 K for a don't die wondering second.

Good luck LBH handing up the advantage he already has through the way the marbles fell.

Stephen Reed has said in the media he would like to sit on Shockwave
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Would be suicide for LBH to hold the lead, not up to some of these, with a sit he might run a place.
    My opinion only.
  • Sad news of the Passing of Our Alfie Romeo during the week

VillageKid, Betonme, savethegame likes this post.

• KTQKTQ    319 posts
    Hear me out. Although it wouldnt work for radio, what about testing a more sports broadcast style racecall for TV viewers. Has anyone seen the Holey Moley TV show ads, well similar to that. Most plays in US sport are only 10seconds to a couple minutes so the short length of a race isn't an issue. And I like the idea of having 2 announcers to bounce off each other.

I did bring up a need for more data and stats availability at the outreach session but they pointed out Giddyup and left it at that. Im talking trainer stats by year, track, distance and handicap, horse by track by distance, age stats, track, driver, quarter/half times, horse vs horse etc. Hearing new info is exciting! It creates conversation and discussion between punters and informs them so they feel educated on their bets thus are more likely to invest - particularly in stands and at small tracks like Busselton
    Brave effort by WA bred 2 y/o trotting filly Thats Not My Gait in the 100K Breeders Crown Final at Melton tonight. Looked all over the winner until caught 10m from the line and finished a close third beaten a neck. By Follow The Stars from Forever Happy a Grinfromeartoear daughter of former top WA juvenile filly Most Happy Lady she is not the first FTS to show a propensity to trot with Bob Mellsops Paparazzi winning a few as a 2 & 3 y/o here in WA.

Great judgement and confidence from Owner /Breeder David Young to roll the dice and send the filly to Alison Alford when she showed ability at the diagonal gait ....after trying to get her to pace ....hence the name. With 2 wins and the narrow loss tonight from 5 starts she is doing a great job. David  broke in and educated and won the first two race starts training the standout WA 2 y/o pacing filly this season ....also a FTS in Black Jack Baby. Not a bad effort with the two filly babies.
  • AbbysAceAbbysAce    560 posts

Brave effort by WA bred 2 y/o trotting filly Thats Not My Gait in the 100K Breeders Crown Final at Melton tonight. Looked all over the winner until caught 10m from the line and finished a close third beaten a neck. By Follow The Stars from Forever Happy a Grinfromeartoear daughter of former top WA juvenile filly Most Happy Lady she is not the first FTS to show a propensity to trot with Bob Mellsops Paparazzi winning a few as a 2 & 3 y/o here in WA.

Great judgement and confidence from Owner /Breeder David Young to roll the dice and send the filly to Alison Alford when she showed ability at the diagonal gait ....after trying to get her to pace ....hence the name. With 2 wins and the narrow loss tonight from 5 starts she is doing a great job. David  broke in and educated and won the first two race starts training the standout WA 2 y/o pacing filly this season ....also a FTS in Black Jack Baby. Not a bad effort with the two filly babies.
    Interesting race that one, why was Caldow looking around at the 200, to let Douglas through?
  • aussiebattleraussiebattler    277 posts
    edited November 2020
    Ventured to pinjarra for trials today first time at the new facility ,seems a decent set up ,they had someone calling the trials not sure if the PA system is set up around the stables but only heard it when venturing outside .Wasn’t sure where to go to see results of trial on course so will have to wait till Monday for results to come out .Picked up a bacon and egg burger and a coffee on course for $13 not a bad way to spend a Sunday morning ,I think more communication of what trial is on next and results of the previous trial with what horses qualified mile rates etc over the PA would be good if it can be heard in the stable area even better 

Thunderstruck, Cant_Refuse likes this post.

• aussiebattleraussiebattler    277 posts
    also on Pinjarra Trials ,I see they are moving to wed afternoon for the next 2 months , I read the survey as alternate day to a Sunday race meeting on the letter head ,there are No Sunday meetings for the next 2 months with the summer heat and being a work day ,not sure its going to work I still prefer an early Sunday Morning or night trial under lights   
  • MoonrakerMoonraker    99 posts
    Moonraker said:

LATE REPORT:

Wagin Friday 6th November 2020

Following the running of the Wagin meeting on Friday 6th November 2020, whereby several drivers were issued fines for failing to adhere to the sectional times policy, Club Officials subsequently advised Stewards that the marker points used to calculate the sectionals for the meeting were in the incorrect positions. As a result, the track was re-measured and the markers re-positioned with the sectional times being re-calculated and amended accordingly. As it was established that times recorded were not below the minimum time requirement, Stewards rescinded the fines previously imposed.  

VillageKid likes this post.

• PictureSon1973PictureSon1973    138 posts
    Is Jarred Humphries still involved in Horse Racing of any kind?
    I haven’t heard anything about him for quite a while as he was quite successful in Harness.

Is Jarred Humphries still involved in Horse Racing of any kind?
    I haven’t heard anything about him for quite a while as he was quite successful in Harness.

Trains gallopers now I think
    Terry Spargo - bit of an arrogant call of race 5 at Redcliffe tonight - and a result - egg splatered all over his face

Reminded me of that caller at Albany trots ( who was extremely fortunate ) when something which was leading and stopping to a walk - he  said - it raced away to win -  yeah by a short half head 
  • MuldoonMuldoon    317 posts
    Markovina said:

I think personally its great that Lindsay has a drive in the Fremantle  Cup - and good on Stephen Reed for giving him the drive 

2 points - and i dont want to open a can of worms - but the time he spent on the outer - just my opinion - if they had the set up like they have got for example in Vic today  - where there are all these tribunals where you can appeal - i mean it is a much better set up and a much fairer set up - where someone can through proper channels re an appeal - all the decisions are public - you can read them - and the ones presiding can be magistrates/judges JPs - so you get properly heard and a very fair result 

The 2nd point is - he was a champion driver - and looking at him last night - he still looks like a natural lightweight - which is very important in my opinion - and his drive on Whitemans horse was 1st class 
    2. Would have thought that you would already know that, following WA Harness so intently