G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 28 Non Members

Tennis 2018

Sport

Comments

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Closeness aside i'm assuming that match would have been the biggest fugn snorefest semi final in history to watch.
    Anderson has definitely improved with age to some degree but have the other pretenders dropped off even more?
    Eg Whats Dimitrov's deal? Couldn't be going worse, Nicole Scherzinger the older woman is his kryptonite i think the lads a playboy lol
    Zverev plays like a sheila hot one set cold the next nearly every match.
    Can see the older guys winning more slams for the near future starting with Djokovic here.
    Anderson will be cooked as suggested simply cannot win, great effort to make it however.

In the womens hats off to Serena Williams on making the final but again how can't someone beat her ffs
    I reckon Kerber can she has been solid all the way and surely can't someone run her around the court more somehow?..mobility is NOT a weapon of hers!
  • PAULPAUL    2,665 posts
    edited July 2018
    detonator said:

Sorry I meant to say Anderson in my earlier post.

Yes definately advantage games for the final set in the final only.

I am suggesting Anderson has Zero chance in the final against whoever he plays.

When Isner played that marathon against Mahut a few years ago, he went out next match meekly if I recall. Over to you Paul to follow up :D

Agree, unless Djokovic & Nadal play a similar marathon match, he's no chance. In the 2010 Wimbledon, after Isner beat Mahut 70-68 in the 5th set, he lost easily to Thiemo de Bakker 6-0 6-3 6-2 in the 2nd round. Incidentially, Thiemo de Bakker had his own long 5-setter in the opening round, beating Santiago Giraldo 16-14 in the 5th set.
    edited July 2018

In the womens hats off to Serena Williams on making the final but again how can't someone beat her ffs
    I reckon Kerber can she has been solid all the way and surely can't someone run her around the court more somehow?..mobility is NOT a weapon of hers!

Watched the 2nd set of the Kerber v Ostapenko S/F after the Adelaide v Geelong game. I don't think Kerber will have the luxury of just keeping the ball in play like she did against Ostapenko. The match was ultimately decided off the racquet of Ostapenko (30 winners, 36 unforced errors) as opposed to Kerber (10 winners, 7 unforced errors). I agree, the best way to beat her is to make her cover a lot of court. A replay of the 2016 final, which Serena won in straight sets 7-5 6-3, Serena leads the H2H 6-2.

Thunderstruck likes this post.

• detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    Have taken the $3.25 Nasal to beat Novak tonight.
    Good value or blind faith ???
    edited July 2018
    In their previous 13 Grand Slam matches, only twice has it gone to five sets, with both players winning one each. On both occasions, the player that was two sets to one up, ended up winning the match.

FIVE SET MATCHES - DJOKOVIC v NADAL
    2012 Australian Open, Djokovic won 5-7 6-4 6-2 6-7 7-5
    2013 French Open, Nadal won 6-4 3-6 6-1 6-7 9-7
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    The Serbian cyborg is back! Wins 10-8 in the 5th in the battle of the GOATs
    Nadal had a number of break points in the 5th set but couldn't convert.Novak sealed it on the first one he had(i think they were his first break points of the set but not 100% sure).Welcome back Joker!

Meanwhile Angelique Kerber wins her 3rd slam beating Williams comfortably 6-3 6-3.

therealkramer likes this post.

Meanwhile Angelique Kerber wins her 3rd slam beating Williams comfortably 6-3 6-3.

She barely made any errors in that final, (11 winners, 5 unforced errors) as opposed to Serena's (23 winners, 24 unforced errors).

She only needs to win the French Open to complete the career Grand Slam (2016 Australian Open, 2016 US Open, 2018 Wimbledon) and join only 18 players (8 men and 10 women) to have won the career Grand Slam. 33 players have won three of the four Slams (including current players, Stan Wawrinka and Kerber).
    I don't think Serena looked fit and tried to mask it by wearing outfits that hid this fact. I must admit I was tempted by the $2.60 about Kerber. Waking up more than a little annoyed now that I've seen how painless that scoreline is X(

I don't think Serena looked fit and tried to mask it by wearing outfits that hid this fact. I must admit I was tempted by the $2.60 about Kerber. Waking up more than a little annoyed now that I've seen how painless that scoreline is X(

In hindsight Kramer I was thinking the same thing about the $2.65.
    Should have put my money there rather than the $3.25 Nadal.
    Kerber is not intimidated by Williams like others are. X( X( X(
    edited August 2018
    Djokovic v Federer in Cinci tonight. Let's see if Novak is back for real and if Roger is done-he can't beat peak Novak. Novak unbackable at Flushing Meadows if he beats Fed in Cinci
    Who are you picking Kramer ?
    I'm with the joker.
    edited August 2018
    detonator said:

Who are you picking Kramer ?
    I'm with the joker.

My hatred of Fed makes it easy. I still don't trust Novak to put money down though. The $3.75 for the US Open will shrink if he wins tonight. In saying that, he's been beaten in that slam in two finals where he was the clear fav-Murray, Warwrinka
    edited August 2018
    Djokovic wins in straight sets, 6-4 6-4.

Becomes the first player to have won all current nine Masters 1000 tournaments (Indian Wells, Miami, Monte Carlo, Madrid, Rome, Canada, Cincinnati, Shanghai and Paris). Federer hasn't won in Monte Carlo or in Rome. Nadal hasn't won in Miami or in Shanghai.

Out of these three, at ATP level, Djokovic leads the H2H over both Nadal (27-25) and Federer (24-22). Nadal leads the H2H over Federer (23-15).

therealkramer, detonator likes this post.

Novak still $3.75 for the US Open...I actually like the odds about Del Potro($11). Former winner and was beaten in 5 sets by Nadal at Wimbledon
    Rafa in the open for me. He wants Feds Slam record real bad.
    edited August 2018
    detonator said:

Rafa in the open for me. He wants Feds Slam record real bad.

His strike rate on the hardcourts ain't great.

**edit It's actually better than Novak's: 3/13 v 2/12. Novak is 2-5 in Finals and has reached the Semis 10/12 trips to Flushing Meadows
  • SKIDSSKIDS    1,006 posts
    How's Millman beating the Fed!! :-c

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Massive !
    =D> Great win! Huge for him recognition wise and a monster payday too.Now he has to play Djokovic, harder again but he wont die wondering.
    The kid Alex De Minaur could be the real deal too look out for him in 2019, is only 19(turns 20 in feb 19)potential top tenner of the near future.
    edited September 2018
    Fed is 37....this day has been coming for a while. Millman saved him from being embarrassed by a resurgent Novak lurking in the next round

detonator likes this post.

The kid Alex De Minaur could be the real deal too look out for him in 2019, is only 19(turns 20 in feb 19)potential top tenner of the near future.

Not sure he's going to be able to shock anyone for too much longer. 5'10" at 19? His growing is almost certainly finished so he will have to contend with the same issue Hewitt faced
    Wiki says he is 5'11 lol which is not tall but ok and he may grow a bit more doesnt look that mature in a manly sense?..plus i'm not sold on the 6'4+ prototype theory as i still dont see any of these talls standing up to or near owning the older champs??

Also De Minaur has a bigger game than Hewitt had(amazing really he still won 2 slams with NO weapon, and one was against Sampras).
    Look I could well be wrong but i think top 10 or 15 at worst by this time next year.Does need to put on just a few kilos(3-5 i read was the conditioning opinion)which i understand he is working on as he continues to develop.If fully fit and well he will be our star performer at the Aus Open next January!!
    I have completely given up on Kyrgios ..a highly talented but lost soul.
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    I haven’t - because he’s finally admitted he needs a coach.
    Tivers said:

I haven’t - because he’s finally admitted he needs a coach.

He doesn't need a coach, he needs a shrink.
    Gaston Gaudio(2004 French Open) was the last man under 6ft to win a Grand Slam. I hope Alex can play on clay.
    None of the current top 10 seem able to win one(case in point Thiem right now against Nadal)so i reckon he can get amongst them maybe it takes a bit longer than 12 months we shall see.

As for Nicky boy, needs more than a coach unless he finds one who is a psychologist as well.

oldhendo likes this post.

edited September 2018
    @Thunderstruck I think you're right there. Kyrgios should have been the more dangerous obstacle for Federer, instead he played like he wanted an autograph. Nadal, Djokovic would eat him alive in a GS final.

Nadal/DelPotro in the semis >:D<
    And then there is Djokovic giggling on the other side of the draw...$2.10 to win seems short but he is a MORAL..ps..Thiem should have won that qf he had numerous chances but choked, he lost it Nadal didnt win it.
    Nadal/Delpo likely goes 5? ..or delpo runs out of gas? That stadium seems like a fuggin sauna hey??