G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 13 Non Members

THEY ARE AT IT AGAIN

East Coast Racing
Munsie and his mates at the Sky racing channels, are at it again with the "big" bets. 

Did you know that you can have 50 grand a place on a horse at Rockhampton? Apparently a punter had the bet with Tabcorp on a horse called Legal Ties which actually won the first race. The odds on 1.20 chance ran third in a 6 horse field.

Later according to Glen  Munsie, another phantom punter had $130,000 on a horse. Don't recall which one or where,  because I found it all such bullshite!.

A mate of mine who worked for my dad at the track for 40 years and has always been fascinated with bookie percentages, told me that in a race last week, the actual opening percentage put up by the Tab fixed odds genii, was 92%. Trouble is, when a mate of his wanted $200 on one of the horses, he couldn't get on, and half an hour later, with not a bet written, the percentage had lengthened to 136% as every horses price was wound back.

They, along with the Corps, are a disgrace. They bar you if you win, and encourage you if you are a mug, like Waterhouse-William Hill did with Sydney real Estate Agent John Mcgrath who allegedly owed them $16,000,000,  by giving you credit and letting you on for whatever you want.

I have never bet with either or any of those organisations, and never will.  And although I haven't bet with them for a while, if you are punting in Perth, then the Punta boys and the on course bookies in Perth are the people who deserve your custom. Not those other leeches, who urge you to bet responsibly, unless, of course, you are a loser.

Comments

• bookieloverbookielover    2,623 posts
    By the way, there was not one word after the race, about the "lucky" punter who had the 50 grand on the horse. No "well done to that punter", nothing. That's par for the course when they deliver cr@p.
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,717 posts
    Its unwatchable, you cant sit down and enjoy a day of racing. You have the absolute crap they dish up on sky one with "this has been backed of the map, this is smart money punters, another winner for Vas" good that he gets one from his 40 odd selections a day.

They on 28 you have Munsie repearing the exact same shart. So NSW racing becomes almost a no go. Its a shame because the Lizzy girl from the paddock can tip a winner and I dont mind Duf.

28 only becomes viable when we get the last 4 from Ascot.

VillageKid, bookielover likes this post.

• rustyhrustyh    2,266 posts
    :)] >:)
    On Wednesday, I took great pleasure in telling William Hill to 'jam their poxy **** weak pathetic website right up their pooncy arses with a sideways pineapple'. 
    :-w L-)
    Closed my account, deleted site off phone and computer. Wankers!

:O) [-X

jum, oldhendo, bookielover, detonator likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    $16m, wow john mcgrath better start selling more homes if thats the case!

If i was him i would take legal avenues to get out. Urge people to bet responsibily but then extend credit to 16m, you have to wonder really.

bookielover likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Yes $16.2 million to be precise. The biggest debt ever in gambling history by a single person to a single company in Australia.

Didn't mind this anecdote read the other day.
    Punter: My goodness I had a terrible day today, lost 7 out of 7 races, lost 8 out of 8 on the footy, and 6 out of 6 on the soccer. I don't know what I am going to do.

Bookmaker: Well there's a hockey game on tonight.

Punter: I don't know anything about hockey.
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Must be a very bad/unlucky punter, i reckon if anyone was going to stop Winx..... well, could be him.

jum, Ridersonthestorm33, bookielover likes this post.

Heard an interview this morning on RSN with the media manager of the Tab. Was asked about reducing the percentage take out.

His answer, "we already have the lowest takeout of any pari-mutual in the world". The interviewer let that go through to the keeper. My come back would have been, so what. Who says that your takeout isn't too big anyway.

Media manager said that tote investments are falling coz of the competition, but couldn't come up with one fresh idea, as to how to improve things.He thought a national Tote was the answer. It isn't. Any value that you get backing say a Victorian horse in the Golden Slipper, for example, on the NSW tote, would totally disappear once they nationalize it.

Where you will find that the Victorian horse will pay say $8.00 on the NSW tote, and only $5.00 on the VicTab, that won't happen anymore, nor will quaddie dividends and trifectas and first fours be bigger through one Tab than another. It will all level out.

Anyway, stuff em. They couldn't give a stuff about the punter, who they treat like lemmings. 

They are undeniably, an important part of the financial survival of racing in all states. The bloke was crying about how much tax they pay to the race clubs. Fuk em. 

The Totes should never have been privatised. They should have been a totally non-profit organisation run by Government, with the take outs at an average of 12% maximum, with 2% going to expenses and Governments and racing splitting the other 10%, and giving the punter a better return for their punting dollar.

They need to be reminded that without the punter, they and the race clubs and the breeders and jockeys, trainers etc. are nothing.

Bottom line from the interview, they are a do nothing for the punter organisation, sitting in wait until Governments declare that they can amalgamate all the totes into one. 

I guarantee you that when it happens and it probably will, after the initial burst of publicity, it will settle back into paying the same returns to the punters that they get now, and the race clubs will be not one cent better off.

Ridersonthestorm33, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    @bookielover If the corps can't offer best tote then, even if the takeout is 20-20%, the larger the pool, the more the clubs will see. The corps may offer tote + 10% but that's not likely to be a big enough lure considering the fluctuations between totes can be much larger than that.
    TRK, there will be absolutely no difference at all to  overall dividends returned to punters as a result of a National Tote Pool.
    In fact, as I stated above, you will see that the better dividend that a Victorian horse, racing in NSW which would have paid well on the NSW tote compared to the Vic tote, will level out, as all the Victorian money is put on it in that national pool.

The same with all multi betting.

At this point in time, you get differentials of thousands, between the quaddie and other dividends declared between the different totes. That will end.

The return to the clubs will effectively be the same in the beginning, then drop as the fuss dies down.

The reason for that is simple. Parimutuel betting is falling each year, and whether or not the Corps offer best tote, won't make any difference. The Corps are innovative, money back if your horse runs second up to $50.00 covers most average losing punters who bet with them, is just one example.

In a way, from a bookies point of view, it's poetic justice. 

From the 1970's on, the Tote ripped all the "mug" money from the bookies bags. Now the Corps have done the same to the Parimutuel. Hence their drop in turnover as the "mugs" bet on their phones with the Corps.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Just opinion but feel Tabcorp dropped the ball with the Tote, they should have gone with the competition instead of fighting it. A reduction in takeout rates would have seen a massive upsurge in betting. Win/win situation.

The way it's going win takeout rates of around 20% and novelty takeouts of about 30% are steadily approaching. Some novelty takeout rates on a few bet types are already 25%. A quarter of the pool.

Tabcorp has two main initiatives 1. Bet on more races and 2. Look at any opportunity to increase takeout rates.