G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 32 Non Members

Age restricted races

West Australian Racing
After watching the Four corners special the other night.
Mentioning all the horses at the sales yards etc.
What about older age restrictions 6yo + etc
Would add longevity to many horses careers to target such events
The Pension Plate?
The Cougar Cup?
Grandparent Guineas ????
+1 -1

jum, RIO likes this post.

Comments

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    the Hobble Handicap
    Seriously though.....................Interesting idea !
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    Mmm, certainly is, bears further discussion to the right ears.
    but who's ears do we need?
    Has it ever been done ?
    (In any jurisdiction)
  • careycarey    6,368 posts
    that's why ratings races were introduced, so that they would keep going longer.
    ie, they could now drop class if they had previously reached whatever level but were in decline
    the way i see it, is that there is already too many races and too many horses.
    it's a breeding problem i reckon although more is better for lots of people i guess.

the wastage is another issue i think, but can't see it disappearing while racing bodies have their heads buried deep in naysaying what has to be fact.
    you can only rehouse so many.

Yeah, but they never (rarely) drop ratings points.
    That or it takes so many runs to do so they're buggered before it achieves anything.

Serena Williams rule should apply too - you're out for a year you drop ranking (ratings) points.
    maybe the handicapper does not like you!
    there is zillions of instances of once highly rated horses going back to even as low as a 62+
    could not have happened in past, as once you reached so many wins then no going back.
    or in case of open, once you won one them, then there forever.

• NevershowsurpriseNevershowsurprise    995 posts
    Tivers is right, the amount of runs it takes to drop points renders the benefit almost useless.

For our horses it's been that way.

RIO likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    edited July 2018
    just do what Ihtsahymn did a couple years ago, went to Melb with a rating of 103, ran last in a handful of races from August to Feb, got his rating down 95 and was able to be competitive again in races like the Northam Cup etc and he even went on to win the G3 Strickland.
    did not beirne demonstrate that they were indeed dropping sufficiently, but not rising sufficiently, and that wa handicappers basically most lenient in world?

paraletic likes this post.

edited July 2018
    I was going to put up an example of one of ours...............dozen or so unplaced runs and not a point.
    But when I went to put the link up I noticed he's dropped 4 in last 3 runs...........
    :-$
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    carey said:

did not beirne demonstrate that they were indeed dropping sufficiently, but not rising sufficiently, and that wa handicappers basically most lenient in world?

i didnt read the whole report but this seemed to be the theme 
    Tivers said:

I was going to put up an example of one of ours...............dozen or so unplaced runs and not a point.

But when I went to put the link up I noticed he's dropped 4 in last 3 runs...........
    :-$
    you may be right in some cases where they are not dropping, your next job should be to figure out why not.
    there is a multitide of reasons why they should not always drop when failing (>4 placing), and it may not be the handicappers fault that they are not.
    I'm all for them lifting them more aggressively - if it goes both ways (also reduce more readily).
    Could well help shake things up a bit (mix the fields up rather than same horses meeting constantly).
    from a gambling point of view, the handicappers have made wa a less attractive place to bet.
    i doubt that is good for the racing industry.
    their job should just be to equalise as best they can, under the constraints they may have, and thus make it more unpredictable.
    they have failed at that very basic of tasks is my opinion.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    And of course also bringing back 86+ and 90+ races once they start the process of allocating regular rating points
    but will they adopt his recos though(or some of at least)?
    or will his hard work have been for nought?

• runyonrunyon    569 posts
    Dust Me Off won the 2015 Towton Cup (Disqualified for a positive) and went from 56 to 86. 12 starts later it was down to 71 and won again. In the end it dropped 35pts in less than 2 years and had a win and 3 placings along the way.
  • saxonsaxoffsaxonsaxoff    179 posts
    I think they probably need to go up a bit more aggressively as well or you won't get enough horses in those higher brackets. if you have a horse rated at 66 you can win a 66+ with 54kg. then win another 66+ with 56.5kg and then another with 59kg. you shouldn't be able to win 3 races in a row the same class at competitive enough weights. 

SKIDS likes this post.