In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 15 Non Members

Brownlow Medal 2018

Sport

Comments

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited October 2018
    Yes and do recall him giving a good humourous speech where with a smile he thanked the umpires. Was a pretty humble guy. Back then the Sandover Medal was telecast live in prime time.

He seemed shyish off the field...but as an East Perth supporter he was scarey on the field. Skilful and could dish a bit out!
  • jumjum    3,512 posts

Absolute Cracking Guy. Still a humble man to this day. When big Steve talks. Everyone listens.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

When see Paddy Ryder at the absolute top of his game...possibly a little bit of Stephen Michael reminder ?
    Nephews etc ask me if Michael would get a game today - just shake my head and say he'd fair dinkum walk into any team.

jum likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,273 posts

Yes and do recall him giving a good humourous speech where with a smile he thanked the umpires. Was a pretty humble guy. Back then the Sandover Medal was telecast live in prime time.

He seemed shyish off the field...but as an East Perth supporter he was scarey on the field. Skilful and could dish a bit out!

Riders do you remember the EP young fella T.I cleaned up at Perth Oval one day back in about 1984? Not sure if he ever played again.
    Big Bad Ron Boucher has said running into T.I was like hitting a bagful of mallee roots.
    edited October 2018
    Yes do recall the incident VK...think that was the end for him. Was quite a good player, slightly built.

Michael wasn't the only scarey one either in an era of blokes like Basil Campbell, Don Haddow, Wayne Delmenico, Mark Jackson, Stan Magro....then the likes of Tony Morley, Rod Barrett, Brian Ciccotosco, Benny Vigona, Michael Cockie, Wayne Henwood, Tom Grulisich, Tony Amoroso...a few of them could join in too...their was another very good earlier player can recall his last name was Rose - think was number 5. Alan Rose ?

Rod Barrett was a gutsy back pocket player.
    Have spoken about it before - but to be at Fremantle Oval before a crowd of about 15000...Ron Webster at East Perth was as tough as I saw - for Mark Jackson in the goal square to be strutting around him - making faces - then doing handstands right in front of him....it was something to behold!

Webster never backed away in the slightest - never showed one emotion - he was granite...and there's Jackson...was one of the funniest, but scariest things have seen on a footy field.

And you don't think Jacko loved the crowd behind the goals! He didn't care if South or EP supporters he was performing.

VillageKid likes this post.